Hurley Apologistas | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Apologistas

Reaction Score
Polley gave up ZERO points today on defense but bozos like you say he's a bad defender. There's a reason Akok was glued to the bench because he routinely gets lost on defense. Yes, Akok's 2 blocks were nice in the first 5 minutes but nothing after. Whaley was horrible on defense too. He got burned all game. Who was guarding Reeves first half? Apparently nobody. Everybody sucked today. Hurley doesn't know how to prepare this team for big games in year #4.
I would have to double check but I’m pretty sure a few weak side offensive rebounds were his fault and a few layups were because he didn’t rotate

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Year 4. Good recruiting, lots of big talk, and mediocre outcomes. It’s fair to wonder whether Hurley is the real deal.

I think UConn fans are going to have to face the tough reality going forward. Hurley will be a great recruiter, but a frustrating in -game coach.

Are we happy with a 2000s Pittsburgh type of success at UConn? With Hurley, I see a perennial Top 20 type team, but one that struggles in big games against top opponents. Lots of NCAA tournament bids in our future, but only a couple of Sweet 16 appearances and no Final Fours. Lots of 3/4/5 seeded years where we get "upset" in a close game in the second or third round of the tournament. Certainly a huge step up from the last 6 years, but will that be acceptable at UConn? That is the dilemma I think we will face as UConn fans with Hurley.

Hope I am wrong. Many people said the same thing about Villanova and Jay Wright many years ago--but he eventually figured it out and turned the corner. I hope that Hurley does the same as he gets more experience and matures, but right now I am not optimistic

Reaction Score
Is this a joke? yes spend the money on football because the football program is showing so much more potential and doing so much better than basketball! LOL! Go get your head examined!
No it is not a joke. Football drives the bus and we spend too much money on basketball. It’s better for the athletic department as a whole if resources are poured into football. All means nothing at this point - nothing will happen until Hurley leaves. I was asking when it makes most fiscal sense to jettison him after a few more mediocre seasons.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Sad. Year 4 no big wins. Hurley can flail around like a 30 games a year and collect his 3 mill and this program continues to go nowhere. But hey AD Dave brought some drunk Twitter fan today so fan engagement is good. Gaffney trash. Polley trash. Absolutely lifeless effort today for the first 30 minutes at home to open Big East play.

Blue goggle gang vibes is good. Just sad.

Pure trash, now even Auburn is not a good win. How cute is that?
Time For Bed Massage GIF

Let's start talking about basketball IQ with this one

Reaction Score
Pure trash, now even Auburn is not a good win. How cute is that?
Time For Bed Massage GIF

Let's start talking about basketball IQ with this one
Careful. Its quite the conundrum…

One one hand….This group thinks that our coach, who is a son of one of the greatest high school basketball coaches of all time, who also was a successful D1 PG in the Big East, and has an All-American PG brother who also coaches high level D1, has absolutely no idea how to coach in game, develop a PG, run fluent offense, or identify trends during the game.

Then, after these games, DH must just shrug and look at the floor during practice waiting for them to figure it out, because DH doesn’t know how to adjust, otherwise we would have improved MORE by now…

But,
They also expect because of his last name, coupled with his success at St Benedicts, Wagner and URI, that he is automatically going to outcoach legends with 20+ years high level D1 experience.

this unrealistic expectation of an outcome is causing an unrealistic look at the current situation.

But ya know….reasoning, logic and all that jazz….

Reaction Score
I think UConn fans are going to have to face the tough reality going forward. Hurley will be a great recruiter, but a frustrating in -game coach.

Are we happy with a 2000s Pittsburgh type of success at UConn? With Hurley, I see a perennial Top 20 type team, but one that struggles in big games against top opponents. Lots of NCAA tournament bids in our future, but only a couple of Sweet 16 appearances and no Final Fours. Lots of 3/4/5 seeded years where we get "upset" in a close game in the second or third round of the tournament. Certainly a huge step up from the last 6 years, but will that be acceptable at UConn? That is the dilemma I think we will face as UConn fans with Hurley.

Hope I am wrong. Many people said the same thing about Villanova and Jay Wright many years ago--but he eventually figured it out and turned the corner. I hope that Hurley does the same as he gets more experience and matures, but right now I am not optimistic
This^^^
I compared him to Herb Sendek at NC State. Good teams every year. Low top 25 often. NCAA bids. Early exits. Made 1 Sweet 16.

The worst description I heard was “the poor man’s Calipari.” Coaches like Cal, and recruits like him. Just not as good players.

I think most UConn fans see the Calhoun years as an aberration. In a good way, one none the less. They will be thrilled to make the tournament most years and get to the Sweet 16 once in a while. Remember, it has now been 7 years since UConn has been even slightly relevant on the national stage. Our best player would be a backup on most of those teams from the mid 90s on. Our backups would be in the A10. Despite all the success of the Calhoun years, most fans deep down have never lost the Yankee Conference mindset. My sense is our destiny is Indiana post-Bob Knight.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This^^^
I compared him to Herb Sendek at NC State. Good teams every year. Low top 25 often. NCAA bids. Early exits. Made 1 Sweet 16.

The worst description I heard was “the poor man’s Calipari.” Coaches like Cal, and recruits like him. Just not as good players.

I think most UConn fans see the Calhoun years as an aberration. In a good way, one none the less. They will be thrilled to make the tournament most years and get to the Sweet 16 once in a while. Remember, it has now been 7 years since UConn has been even slightly relevant on the national stage. Our best player would be a backup on most of those teams from the mid 90s on. Our backups would be in the A10. Despite all the success of the Calhoun years, most fans deep down have never lost the Yankee Conference mindset. My sense is our destiny is Indiana post-Bob Knight.

I am agreeing with the first part of this post only. There have been dozens of D1 coaches like Hurley, hustlers with some pedigree that can recruit, jumping up level after level until they reach the big time, and then struggling against programs with resources that have big time coaches that can recruit AND coach. I don't know enough about Hurley to predict how this ends. He could adapt or he could fail. We will know in the next 2-3 years.

I think the talent level on this team, when Sanogo is healthy, is enough to get us into the Sweet 16 with the right draw.

Reaction Score
Careful. Its quite the conundrum…

One one hand….This group thinks that our coach, who is a son of one of the greatest high school basketball coaches of all time, who also was a successful D1 PG in the Big East, and has an All-American PG brother who also coaches high level D1, has absolutely no idea how to coach in game, develop a PG, run fluent offense, or identify trends during the game.

Then, after these games, DH must just shrug and look at the floor during practice waiting for them to figure it out, because DH doesn’t know how to adjust, otherwise we would have improved MORE by now…

But,
They also expect because of his last name, coupled with his success at St Benedicts, Wagner and URI, that he is automatically going to outcoach legends with 20+ years high level D1 experience.

this unrealistic expectation of an outcome is causing an unrealistic look at the current situation.

But ya know….reasoning, logic and all that jazz….
He was hired to do exactly that. He is being paid to do exactly that. This is high D1 basketball, not some freakin’ earn while you learn program. UConn didn’t hire him and pay him like a top coach to not coach like one. And for heaven’s sake he got out coached by the guy from Providence, not Mike K or Jay Wright. Nice coach, but in the annals of legendary college coaches, you need to go through the first 25 volumes before he comes up.

And how do you have Your team come out flat for the league opener, sell out crowd, network TV game? Sorry but that is on the coach.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't say the program's gone nowhere but haven't been very impressed by Hurley's in-game coaching decisions to this point.

Then again, Calhoun spoiled us badly. That's a high bar for anyone.
Yes, but that IS the bar and we should never settle for less

Reaction Score
I know i might get bashed for this but DH may be a poor mans Calipari. Great recruiter but simply not a top tier X n Os guy. I am truly concerned.
There is our fanbase’s delusion in a nutshell. In a sane world, comparing a basketball coach to Calipari is not an insult or a worry — it’s a likely unreachable goal. But we had Jim Calhoun, so the expectations for any coach any time soon will be absurd.

We need better offensive players. Certainly, at least one go to offensive weapon. Hurley is recruiting better and better players, and there is every reason to believe that most years we will have the star. But the combination of Hawkins not being star ready and Bouk leaving early has left us one egg roll short of a combination plate.

Reaction Score
Not really in panic mode just more so surprised with how much he’ll ride certain guys even if they’re seriously struggling. If players are hot it’s one thing. But I’d definitely like to see Hawkins get more then 12 minutes. People will point to his defense as an issue which is partially true but we need as many guys out there as possible that can make some offensive things happen. This offense is in desperate need of that. I’ll continue to say they’ve got to find a way to get Diggins a little bit of run as well. We’ll see what happens when Sanogo is back but quicker subs and diminishing minutes for guys that aren’t playing well is something I’d like to see.

Reaction Score
Not really in panic mode just more so surprised with how much he’ll ride certain guys even if they’re seriously struggling. If players are hot it’s one thing. But I’d definitely like to see Hawkins get more then 12 minutes. People will point to his defense as an issue which is partially true but we need as many guys out there as possible that can make some offensive things happen. This offense is in desperate need of that. I’ll continue to say they’ve got to find a way to get Diggins a little bit of run as well. We’ll see what happens when Sanogo is back but quicker subs and diminishing minutes for guys that aren’t playing well is something I’d like to see.
When asked this question in the past, DH’s response was only that Diggins, etc have to crack the rotation, which does not make sense under the circumstances given that the rotation is not working. Others might have a better recollection on this, but I think DH took too long to give Bouk more minutes even though it was pretty obvious that he was an elite player, and the offense needed him. The concern is that he is too reluctant to give some minutes to younger players, maybe based upon loyalty to upperclassmen.

Reaction Score
When asked this question in the past, DH’s response was only that Diggins, etc have to crack the rotation, which does not make sense under the circumstances given that the rotation is not working. Others might have a better recollection on this, but I think DH took too long to give Bouk more minutes even though it was pretty obvious that he was an elite player, and the offense needed him. The concern is that he is too reluctant to give some minutes to younger players, maybe based upon loyalty to upperclassmen.
Yup, but remember Bouk also had the whole fleeing the scene of an accident debacle really early into his frosh year as well. This also happened to Sanogo last year, and people were concerned of his future here at the time (total BY meltdown maybe lasted 2-3 weeks for his playing time to change). It’s a negative trend that Hurley has, but also has adjusted to and fixed each year. Just not quick enough for the BY. Hopefully this game was the Aha! moment for DH this year.

Reaction Score
It's a take that's repeated over and over again on here, but not one based in fact. I've had no issues with the speed he works freshman into the rotation with

Reaction Score
this is... extreme. Auburn was a big win. Cuse at the garden was a big win. 2020 Houston was a big win.

The problem hasn't been an inability to win big games. The problem is the inconsistency and the lack of in-game coaching.
And poor shooting percentage

Reaction Score
I'm mad at Hurley but I love him. People forget Calhoun had 14? seasons at Northeastern before coming to UConn to develop as a coach. Hurley is an excellent recruiter and program manager. The in game coaching isn't there right now but he should get there with time. There's no reason to even think about moving on from him at this time.

Reaction Score
Yup, but remember Bouk also had the whole fleeing the scene of an accident debacle really early into his frosh year as well. This also happened to Sanogo last year, and people were concerned of his future here at the time (total BY meltdown maybe lasted 2-3 weeks for his playing time to change). It’s a negative trend that Hurley has, but also has adjusted to and fixed each year. Just not quick enough for the BY. Hopefully this game was the Aha! moment for DH this year.

Bouk played plenty as a frosh from the moment his suspension was over. Akok started from game one. Sanogo's playing time was limited by his inability to play without fouling. But more importantly they were all in the rotation from day one. That should lead to an obvious conclusion about why it might be that Johnson and Diggins are not. (Oh, and the obvious conclusion is not that your evaluation of who could be helping the team is better than Hurley's.)

Reaction Score
Bouk played plenty as a frosh from the moment his suspension was over. Akok started from game one. Sanogo's playing time was limited by his inability to play without fouling. But more importantly they were all in the rotation from day one. That should lead to an obvious conclusion about why it might be that Johnson and Diggins are not. (Oh, and the obvious conclusion is not that your evaluation of who could be helping the team is better than Hurley's.)
Never said that my evaluation was the conclusion, but yours sure as hell ain’t the conclusion either mr. Lawyer….

objection: speculation

Reaction Score
Check out this thread. Post #1 and Post #17. To me those two coaches are night and day. What they can do in practice or in games, I'm not sure. But the presence of each are light years difference. Hurley doesn't exactly exude confidence.

Reaction Score
All true but Hurley kept B Adams in the rotation for way too long.

Reaction Score
But we saw videos. And First Night. Man they looked really good then. Who you gonna believe, your Own eyes or some basketball coach who’s livelihood depends on making the right choices of players? Some of you people just don‘t get it!

Reaction Score
All true but Hurley kept B Adams in the rotation for way too long.
Adams lost his spot in the rotation when AJ came back from his injury. If Hurley was just better at player evaluation, presumably AJ would have recovered from his injury more quickly.

Look, my point is not that it's impossible that a coach might be slower to make a change than in hindsight he wished he made. It's certainly possible. The truth remains, however, that when a good coach who has shown that he's willing to put freshmen into the rotation doesn't put them into the rotation, the most likely reason is that from what he sees in practice they are not at that point good enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom