How many Penn St transfers does UConn get, if any, and whom are most likely? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How many Penn St transfers does UConn get, if any, and whom are most likely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If a kid decides to stick with his teammates knowing they can't play for a championship and will face the scorn of every opposing fanbase for the rest of his college career, when he has the opportunity to play elsewhere, you really need to ask?

Yeah, I do. Are you saying that a player who decides to leave is lacking character?

Reaction Score
With a week or so until camp opens across the country, I am not sure you will see a ton of kids jump ship now. However, I could see PSU players treating this year like a "contract" year in the NFL where players are looking around at who will have spots available, depth charts, etc and looking to see if there are greener pastures for next season.

Im pretty sure the current players have 10 days to transfer without having to sit out a year. I read that in an article on blue and white illustrated.

Reaction Score
Im pretty sure the current players have 10 days to transfer without having to sit out a year. I read that in an article on blue and white illustrated.

I thought I read that players could leave at any point during their Penn State career and not have to sit out. I could be wrong as I was watching the presser at the gym on close caption.

Reaction Score
I see a lot leaving next year. You can't blame a kid for not wanting to play his entire college career under a cloud.

It will be interesting to see how many stay. If it's most of them, then it says a lot about the character of the kids there.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

no, actually it wouldn't say anything about the character of the kids. maybe they believe in following through on their commitments, or maybe they don't want to leave their friends or gf. a kid deciding to stay says nothing about their character.

edit:after reading your later comments i think i misunderstood you. i thought you were saying anyone that stays has poor character, which i now think (although i'm still not positive) that you meant otherwise

Reaction Score

that's total B-S if it's the case. i understand giving them a time line but 10 days is hardly enough. they should have until signing day 2013

Reaction Score
The article is on the front page of blue and white illustrated. Anyone with a rivals account can read it. You have to figure classes start shortly, and I believe the next ten days are the only time the players can transfer out without penalty. The article went on to state that PSU could enter this year with as little as I think 36players.

It is kind of a bum deal to ask these kids to make such a huge decision in 10 days.

Reaction Score
Best I could do from my phone.

The question I'm sure every Penn State fan wants answered is: How will today's NCAA sanctions affect the Nittany Lion football team for the upcoming football season and for future seasons?

Unfortunately, for Penn State football fans to get a definitive answer to this question, they'll have to wait a minimum of 10 days.

That is how long present Penn State team members have to decide if they want to transfer without losing a year of eligibility.

Obviously, the players on Penn State's scholarship roster who will be impacted the most by this type of decision will be the true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, sophomores and redshirt sophomores.

If all of those individuals would choose to transfer, by BWI's estimation that would leave about 40 scholarship players on Penn State's roster for the 2012 season.

Realistically, that gives me pause as to whether Penn State could put a competitive team on the field.

BWI presently lists 19 true freshmen, 10 redshirt freshmen, and 14 sophomores and redshirt sophomores on Penn State's 2

Reaction Score
The one I most want is Matt Zanatello, and Redd. MZ was Nebrich's target at Lake BRaddock

Reaction Score
Although i would welcome any transfer, I don't know if any would have a large impact on the 2012 season. With about a month before the season opens, any transfer will have to learn the playbook, adjust to a new school, and make a difference in practice. Unless the incoming player returns kicks, I would not expect a solid contribution until atleast late October.

Reaction Score
Would love both of them. Yes they would have an immediate impact. Also need to consider how the players like their new coach, the new O and D. If they don't like the changes they now can leave w/o penalty.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Well said. None of these sanctions impact a players ability to play at the next level. If you are a junior or senior and already on NFL scouts radars, why leave, have to learn a new system, and possibly slip down the charts? Instead, you stay, be the star on the team, and rise up and get paid in the NFL. I don't see any reason for an upperclassman who is a starter to leave. PSU is a great education and you still get to play football.

Now, incoming recruits might be a bit different but I'm not totally convinced that will take a big hit either....time will tell I guess.

You have to remember that this system at PSU is new and not what they were used to so far while at PSU.

I hope a couple of players show up in Storrs from Happy Valley

Reaction Score
Really tough position for the players.

First guess is most stay to support the new coach and PSU athletic tradition. The athletes are quite talented, even those that are backups.Accordingly, even without being bowl or championship game eligible, they play in a conference with excellent tradition and competition.......and top notch caliper of play. If they inspire to go on after college, and perform well, the NFL will take notice.

Second guess, if they desire to leave, they will contact those places that were on the top of their list before choosing PSU. I don't think the would leave a program that will have some challenges, and choose to go to an unstable conference. I will be surprised if any BE team benefits by departures from PSU.

Reaction Score
word on twitter is that USC is after Redd and has informed Penn State they are recruiting him

Reaction Score
Dez saying UConn talking with Khairi Fortt, among many other schools.

Let the avalanche begin.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
word on twitter is that USC is after Redd and has informed Penn State they are recruiting him

If I'm not mistaken, that must mean that Redd has contacted USC first, no? Based on what Coach P told Dez today, the student has to contact the school first before the school can begin a recruiting process with them, in order to stay "compliant":

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...ntact-schools-first-not-the-other-way-around/

Maybe that means that Redd has already started the dialogue with USC, then.

Reaction Score
Never had a ton of faith that we'd have much shot at Redd, who I assume can have his pick of the litter, but I'd like to see Fortt add to our LB corps...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Coach P was right, but it's irrelevant. All he has to do is tell one player to reach out to the guy and get him to tell his school.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Im guessing that coach P was wrong in that regard

Could you link the Twitter source that you saw the USC comment on? It's not that I don't believe you that Coach P could be wrong.....it's just that I don't believe that Coach P was wrong. I'm guessing that our head coach is pretty in-tune with the compliance rules, and if not, I'm sure that Dez (or an assistant coach) would have sniffed it out through another source.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Coach P was right, but it's irrelevant. All he has to do is tell one player to reach out to the guy and get him to tell his school.

I think you nailed it, Sean! Just have a former classmate or 7vs7 teammate call out.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So as it turns out, Penn State itself will act as an intermediary for the "talks":

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/20120723/21207234

In other words, coaches inform Penn State of a list of players that they would like to talk to, and the players inform Penn State that they would like to talk. Wow. Nothing like finding out first hand how you are going to get mugged...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
So as it turns out, Penn State itself will act as an intermediary for the "talks":

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/20120723/21207234

In other words, coaches inform Penn State of a list of players that they would like to talk to, and the players inform Penn State that they would like to talk. Wow. Nothing like finding out first hand how you are going to get mugged...

this is basically what i just posted in another thread as it was explained to me earlier 2night. i can confirm that we have taken the steps and are in the convo with kids....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom