How many Penn St transfers does UConn get, if any, and whom are most likely? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How many Penn St transfers does UConn get, if any, and whom are most likely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Redd could be this summer's Andre Drummond. Ticket sales would spike immediately. Silas wants to go to the NFL, has he heard of Jordan Todman and Donald Brown? Our coaching staff has recent NFL experience and we run a pro-style offense with a QB (Whitmer) who has a chance to be a big time force in the conference.

C'mon Silas and Khairi, help take your home state school to the next level, and bring some friends (Golden) with you.

No offense to Brown or Todman but it's hardly like UConn is cranking out effective NFL backs. Todman was a sixth rounder who didn't last a season without getting waived. The majority of BCS schools have more NFL success to point to.

Redd is a pipedream. He can pick his spot like Russell Wilson.

I highly doubt he'd want to duplicate Drummond. A player who dropped in the draft based on his performance.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No way. "Johnhuskies95" said "there doesn't appear to be too much interest" which clearly means there is some interest (cue the Dumb and Dumber scene). UCONN has a much better shot at the National Championship game then Penn State does especially if Silas returns home.

Consider it "queued"...

Reaction Score
I hope some of these kids realize that PSU's academic record will falter due to this scandal and UConn's has only been rising. A smart decision would be to transfer to UConn...but I'm not the one making the decision ;)

Reaction Score
I would keep a few things in mind. The kids have little over a week to decide. They had every intention of playing for PSU up until 48 hours ago, and are now trying to sort thru a lot of things that can be overwhelming for a teenager. How will they fit in to a new school and a new team, with a week before practice (and can they even get there logistically). Many of them long ago assumed the recruiting game was over and unlike a kid like Ogun, not many of them were recruiting divas. And its not like they are not going to field a good team this year, just one that will not go bowling.

Is the message we are sending that kids should turn their back on the program when things get hard? Any of us encourage the UConn bb men to scatter a few months back?

I would expect to see few transfers this week, especially among their 2 deep. I would expect to see more decommits and younger kids rethinking what they want their next 4 years to be like. I would expect to see mroe transfers later.

Reaction Score
According to pre snap read UConn offered 15 PSU commits over the last three classes. Even if it's not one of the big three I figure they get one transfer.

i have a feeling most guys will stay. i have a feeling PennState will adapt an us vs the world mentality and hunker down. that certainly seems to be the way their fans are handling it. i'll be pleasantly surprised if we get a transfer.

Reaction Score
If PSU kids stay there for this year, will they still be allowed to transfer without penalty next year as well? Seems harsh to expect these kids to make this kind of decision within a couple of weeks. Anyone know?

Reaction Score
If PSU kids stay there for this year, will they still be allowed to transfer without penalty next year as well? Seems harsh to expect these kids to make this kind of decision within a couple of weeks. Anyone know?

Simple answer is yes... But they need to decide before next year camps start. There are a few other caveats but I can't remember the nuances.

I think next year will be the problem... Too close to season this year.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Not claiming conspiracy here, but I think the timing of the sanctions could be a big advantage for PSU in terms of retaining players. Consider that its too late for most kids to make a move this year. That gives the school, coaches, boosters and fans an entire season to convince players to stay. And you can bet that the love being poured down on them at Beaver stadium on Saturday afternoons will be akin to being the Pope in Rome on Easter Sunday. I can hear players being told:

• ´You´ll still be on TV´
  • ´NFL scouts will still be at games´
  • Ýou can be a part of the NEW Penn State tradition- a trail-blazer´
Unless fan support utterly collapses, which likelihood is unclear, I think this aspect of the penalty has worked out as well as PSU could have hoped.

Of course the schollie reduction is a major blow, but I bet PSU retains a lot of good players, more than many expect they will.

Reaction Score
The punishment the NCAA handed down wasn't about this year, or next. PSU will struggle in football 3 years from now, and until the end of the decade. Nothing kills a football program like a string of 4-8, 5-7 type seasons. You can recover quickly from going 2-10, and you can keep things rolling, and things are obviously good, when you're 10-2, but strings of what we went through last year, is disaster.

Reaction Score
I always thought that Uconn academics were much superior to PSU? Maybe I just don't know enough about their academic reputation, but I always considered it on the lower end of the big ten schools. Uconn is considered a top 20 public school. I can't imagine that Penn State ranks with likes of UVA, UNC or Michigan, which I know are considered the top state universities outside of the Calufornia publics

Reaction Score
In six years, if Penn State has a good coaching staff, I think they will be all the way back. I don't see this affecting the program 10 years out like some people do. At the very least they will be able to recruit Pennsylvania and play before 85,000 + fans, for the Big 10 conference. That's a heck of a foundation to build from.

Reaction Score
The punishment the NCAA handed down wasn't about this year, or next. PSU will struggle in football 3 years from now, and until the end of the decade. Nothing kills a football program like a string of 4-8, 5-7 type seasons. You can recover quickly from going 2-10, and you can keep things rolling, and things are obviously good, when you're 10-2, but strings of what we went through last year, is disaster.

between 2000 and 2004 they only had one season with over 5 wins and a lot of people wanted JoePa out. they still came back b/c there's a ton of good high school football players in PA that want to play at PSU. i don't think that will change in 5-10 years. they won't be crippled

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
between 2000 and 2004 they only had one season with over 5 wins and a lot of people wanted JoePa out. they still came back b/c there's a ton of good high school football players in PA that want to play at PSU. i don't think that will change in 5-10 years. they won't be crippled
Yup.

Reaction Score

Right, and those same people that are in trouble with the law now, from PSU, AD, President, and such....... that discussed how to handle Jerry Sandusky with Joe Paterno, and had their minds changed on how to approach it.......sat down with Joe Paterno, in his kitchen, and asked him to retire after those few seasons. They left Joe's house, and Joe kept his job.

The new head coach at PSU, won't survive what Joe Paterno survived.

Reaction Score
Right, and those same people that are in trouble with the law now, from PSU, AD, President, and such....... that discussed how to handle Jerry Sandusky with Joe Paterno, and had their minds changed on how to approach it.......sat down with Joe Paterno, in his kitchen, and asked him to retire after those few seasons. They left Joe's house, and Joe kept his job.

The new head coach at PSU, won't survive what Joe Paterno survived.

I think O'Brien gets a trifecta of gimmees (unless he does something fatal outside team's wins and loses).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
does psu need to get down to 65 ships for this fall or does that start next fall?

illinois is killing it right now with 6 coaches on campus. i hope we have some of our guys out in the parking lot going toe to toe with other schools.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
does psu need to get down to 65 ships for this fall or does that start next fall?

illinois is killing it right now with 6 coaches on campus. i hope we have some of our guys out in the parking lot going toe to toe with other schools.

Sorry Dan, but I very much disagree with this. It's not a flea market. Camping outside their practice facility looks desperate at best, sleazy and insulting at worst.

I'm sure the coaches have a few particular players in mind, some have already been mentioned, who we are reaching out to respectfully. I'd expect nothing less, and nothing more, for this program. Let Illinois and USC look like the looting scumbag programs that they are. We're better than that, and that means something to players and recruits.

Reaction Score
I think O'Brien gets a trifecta of gimmees (unless he does something fatal outside team's wins and loses).

Sylvester Croom, the first black coach in the SEC, took over at Miss. State after the school got hammered by the NCAA. As I remember the situation, his Contract recognized the probable impact of the punishment and gave him a pass on early w/l records. He lasted four years.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Sorry Dan, but I very much disagree with this. It's not a flea market. Camping outside their practice facility looks desperate at best, sleazy and insulting at worst.

I'm sure the coaches have a few particular players in mind, some have already been mentioned, who we are reaching out to respectfully. I'd expect nothing less, and nothing more, for this program. Let Illinois and USC look like the looting scumbag programs that they are. We're better than that, and that means something to players and recruits.

fair enough. i can't argue that. but if 30 programs have guys on campus and its like smu style which it sounds like, then i rather be considered a school that puts the effort in then not. anyway.

remember adrian amos? his tweet today was 1 that set it off to the media that all this was going on.

Reaction Score

Jesus Harold Christ is this really going on in State College right now?!?!?!?!?!?!? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Reaction Score
Jesus Harold Christ is this really going on in State College right now?!?!?!?!?!?!? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Yes, it's happening. It's not the least bit surprising. The NCAA and PSU, this week, has effectively thrown every football player at PSU into a pool of hungry sharks, and then by clarifying that lifting the normal rules, threw a whole bunch of raw meat in with the players to attract the sharks. Coach P, when quoted th other day, was talking about how normal recruiting should work in a situation like this. THe NCAA scrapped that in the case of PSU players.

It will be remarkable, if that football program is able to unite and retain their players. Unfortunately, if they're able to do it, the entire point of workign toward cultural change will have a very real potential of going incredibly wrong, and that culture of PSU, that was supposed to change, will take on the 'us against the world' mentality and PSU above all else stronger than ever.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i bet psu sent coaches down to smu back then. they might have even sent a sex offender to another schools campus. who knows. its the wild wild west. the ncaa let it be. early bird gets the worm and if you sit back and watch then you don't get . #coleword

Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure that 2014 will be their first season at 65, and they'll be at 65 until 2018, but still only be able to add 15 for that recruiting year, so they will still be at 80 for 2019, and technically won't be able to get to a full 85 again until the fall of 2020.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

There were reports earlier about kids not wanting to leave the facilities because the vultures were outside swarming.

As Dan said, Amos had a tweet essentially saying leave us alone, especially the kids that just stood up and said we're staying.

This whole thing is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro