How it Happened | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How it Happened

Reaction Score
I actually could imagine Diaco landing a head coaching job but more like an FCS job at a Villanova or Holy Cross or some similar gig. The ex Buffalo coach who flamed out at Kansas is at Liberty and another flame out from one of the SEC programs is at one of the southern fcs schools or was anyway. I could see Diaco doing that too.
His recruiting would translate well.

Reaction Score
Coach ... Diaco is cray-crazy; but I don't think he is stupid. He knows that he screwed up. He had a 2016 UConn team that should have won and made a bowl and he ended in the trash. I think he knows that he fails as a Head Coach. His skill set is as a Unit coach. He can focus on that. No AD would give him the HC slot in the FBS level. Diaco needs are such that he won't ever seek that again.

Absolutely. He embarrassed the school, plain and simple. And it wasn't like he was doing something that would even help us win.

Reaction Score
Confirmed - it's what happened.
Honestly I find your see I told you so baloney exhausting. I may be the only one but good god man. I have gotten info from people I know too. It for the most part keep it to myself as it would only be self serving to hold a friggin parade for myself on here to show how connected I am (or am not). Your self aggrandizement is old and tired.

C

Chief00

Honestly I find your see I told you so baloney exhausting. I may be the only one but good god man. I have gotten info from people I know too. It for the most part keep it to myself as it would only be self serving to hold a friggin parade for myself on here to show how connected I am (or am not). Your self aggrandizement is old and tired.
Isn't that what a message board is about sharing knowledge and debating "facts" in the eye of the beholder?
In this same thread I have people telling me to share more - you want less. Thanks for your input.

Reaction Score
Didnt you say Morehead would be the new coach? So you got the Diaco news right, but your "source" was only half right. And you posted it after Whaler said it could happen. Now, after everybody on the board has said Diaco saying no to Kill was what got him fired, you say yup I confirmed it. Dude, your source is clearly the BY.

Also, the Cincy game was at 11:30, which is not 11:11

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it was mid December - the AD and his assistant from MN go visit Diaco's office about the OC position and other things - the AD and his Assistant then leave in frustration - shutting the door and the AD commented you can't work with this guy.

That was the match that lighted the fuse to get to where we are today. Diaco basically checked out after that and Benedict looked to see how he could do the buyout and look for a new coach.

Confirmed by Car Wash.

C

Chief00

Didnt you say Morehead would be the new coach? So you got the Diaco news right, but your "source" was only half right. And you posted it after Whaler said it could happen. Now, after everybody on the board has said Diaco saying no to Kill was what got him fired, you say yup I confirmed it. Dude, your source is clearly the BY.
Also, the Cincy game was at 11:30, which is not 11:11

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to educate you. You are too literal on the game time - the point is the pre noon or even noon starts are too early to get student attendance at levels that we need. I know the old dudes on this board would love a 10am start and they obsess over a start time 10 to 20 minutes one way or another. I get that.
As for Moorehead - I said that is who they wanted - but he wasn't interested.

Reaction Score
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to educate you. You are too literal on the game time - the point is the pre noon or even noon starts are too early to get student attendance at levels that we need. I know the old dudes on this board would love a 10am start and they obsess over a start time 10 to 20 minutes one way or another. I get that.

Well of you want to get real literal, you said the 11:11 start time in 2015. So 20 minute difference, plus a year. Noon starts are too early? They seem fine for a lot of schools, and I don't mind noon starts at all. I'm 26, not an "old dude"

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You said that all our games were at 11:11. Admit it for once instead of deflecting and twisting reality.

Reaction Score
I have to believe that AD Dave had his doubts certainly by East Carolina. They likely grew but there were other factors including cost but also recruiting and "stability" of course the program (running through 3 coaches in 5 years isn't the ideal). Diaco's unwillingness to hire a solid coordinator was the last straw.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I actually could imagine Diaco landing a head coaching job but more like an FCS job at a Villanova or Holy Cross or some similar gig. The ex Buffalo coach who flamed out at Kansas is at Liberty and another flame out from one of the SEC programs is at one of the southern fcs schools or was anyway. I could see Diaco doing that too.

Yes, I'll stand by what I said about him back in December. He's a smart guy, knows football. I think he needs some time under some different HCs, so he can learn a little humility, that a HC isn't a king and get some alternative views on how to run a team. I think he was so sure of his vision he couldn't adapt or adjust, and couldn't believe that he'd get fired.

Reaction Score
Anyone can state something. here ill state something "In the next 6 months we will get a quarterback commit" done deal we all knew Diaco was getting fired. If you follow college football everyone knew he was on his way out. You don't go 16 quarters without a TD and have a shot at keeping your job. 16?!?!?!?!? I know it was bad but you would think a broken play would atleast grab you a td here or there. not 16 quarters later.
I think you read a little too much into my comment... no, way too much... Chief was just spot on.. He pretty much let us know 2 weeks before it happened.. His source was spot on... Something like this is not common but in this particular situation it wasn't simply rumor... It was real. In hindsight, you gotta believe the coaching search started and ended once the Diaco firing was announced. That part is my opinion. From all Benedict has said, it sounded like he might've reached out to Lashlee first, which probably made sense considering he already knew the kid... I say kid because Lashlee, compared to many on this board that have been on this board for a decade and more, like me, are more than likely his Senior... Lashlee must not have felt he was ready for that leap of faith yet, which ultimately put him where he is now with us (OC). Me thinks Moorhead probably came up either before or after him of course... Then Edsall 2.0 occurred, which, so far, looks to be the right move for us, albeit a safe one. It just makes sense... And with all the staff hirings Edsall's made, you can tell he's evolved a bit... Things are definitely starting to look up again...

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I feel like I'm watching the inside of a news room D-measuring contest. "No I have the best sources" , "No, I do."

Who cares... We have a new coach and staff lets start winning some games. I'm sure many people on this board know people who are in the know at UConn... Some people share what they are told, some people don't who cares.

C

Chief00

Well of you want to get real literal, you said the 11:11 start time in 2015. So 20 minute difference, plus a year. Noon starts are too early? They seem fine for a lot of schools, and I don't mind noon starts at all. I'm 26, not an "old dude"
This is a waste of my time, quite frankly. You need to look beyond yourself and look at the entire student section on noon games or earlier vs late afternoon starting times. That's my macro point not if the start time is 11:11am, 11:30am or 12:00pm. They are all too early for our student body coming from a location twenty miles away. A few on this board too easily go down some meaningless rathole on something that has mininal value.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You are too literal on the game time - the point is the pre noon or even noon starts are too early to get student attendance at levels that we need.
How exactly are people supposed to take it? UConn has been playing noon games since 2003 and it never stopped the students in the early years even when UConn was in the midst of 4-8 and 5-7 seasons in the mid-aughts. You gave no indication that you thought the 11:11 time could be a place holder, even when it was pointed out to you multiple times. Plus, none of the three games mentioned (Navy, USF, Houston) kicked off at before noon.

The one home game that did kick off before at 11am (Cinci) was played a full year later. So unless your handle begins with a "C," ends with a "G," with a itrusdo in the middle, I have serious doubt in regard to your clairvoyance.

C

Chief00

How exactly are people supposed to take it? UConn has been playing noon games since 2003 and it never stopped the students in the early years even when UConn was in the midst of 4-8 and 5-7 seasons in the mid-aughts. You gave no indication that you thought the 11:11 time could be a place holder, even when it was pointed out to you multiple times. Plus, none of the three games mentioned (Navy, USF, Houston) kicked off at before noon.

The one home game that did kick off before at 11am (Cinci) was played a full year later. So unless your handle begins with a "C," ends with a "G," with a itrusdo in the middle, I have serious doubt in regard to your clairvoyance.

I get up early so it's fine with me, but I have read posts on the BY where students explain why they did not fill the Rent. In business or politics never get too arrogant that you don't listen to people. The years you talk about our attendance was 35k to 40k - we have had 6 very poor losing seasons in a row - you need to adjust to that and make it as easy as possible for people to attend. True, at Bama or Clemson it wouldn't matter as much but we are not wearing those shoes. I hope this helps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom