Half Time | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Half Time

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No one is saying it sucked. It was just kind of there.

This isn't a generational thing. I will be the first to say that the Who were one of the worst halftime shows of the last 30 years, followed closely by Petty, McCartney and the Rolling Sones. Actually, McCartney's was probably the worst of that group. All of those geezer bands completely mailed it in. And for a bunch of family friendly acts that were in response to the Timberlake/Jackson incident, why did Tom Petty's set start with a giant phallic lit up guitar inserting itself into his stage? I will leave Bruce out of that group. Springsteen always puts on a great show, but his set choice was "meh".

The ranking of Super Bowl halftime shows that I can remember:

1) Prince - if you disagree, you are simply wrong and should stop posting about popular culture, or anything else. I just rewatched it. Did he play that show in the rain?
2) U2
3) Bruno Mars - I didn't even know this guy that well at the time, but he put on an awesome show
4) Madonna
5) Lady Gaga
6) Dre and Eminem - It says something about how mediocre the Super Bowl halftime shows have been that last year's by the numbers performance may be the 6th best show of all time.
7) Black Eyed Peas - I don't get why there is so much hate these days against the Blackeyed Peas. I feel like the backlash against the Black Eyed peas will be a lot like the anti-Bee Gees backlash was in the 80's. It will pass and people will remember how original and influential the band was.

Throw the rest in a hat and pick away. They can go in any order you want.
Agree 100% on Prince. And it's not close, IMHO.

Oddly, other than the costume malfunction controversy, I barely remember most of the other performances, except for Katy Perry's dancing sharks, which were hysterical.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
No one is saying it sucked. It was just kind of there.

This isn't a generational thing. I will be the first to say that the Who were one of the worst halftime shows of the last 30 years, followed closely by Petty, McCartney and the Rolling Sones. Actually, McCartney's was probably the worst of that group. All of those geezer bands completely mailed it in. And for a bunch of family friendly acts that were in response to the Timberlake/Jackson incident, why did Tom Petty's set start with a giant phallic lit up guitar inserting itself into his stage? I will leave Bruce out of that group. Springsteen always puts on a great show, but his set choice was "meh".

The ranking of Super Bowl halftime shows that I can remember:

1) Prince - if you disagree, you are simply wrong and should stop posting about popular culture, or anything else. I just rewatched it. Did he play that show in the rain?
2) U2
3) Bruno Mars - I didn't even know this guy that well at the time, but he put on an awesome show
4) Madonna
5) Lady Gaga
6) Dre and Eminem - It says something about how mediocre the Super Bowl halftime shows have been that last year's by the numbers performance may be the 6th best show of all time.
7) Black Eyed Peas - I don't get why there is so much hate these days against the Blackeyed Peas. I feel like the backlash against the Black Eyed peas will be a lot like the anti-Bee Gees backlash was in the 80's. It will pass and people will remember how original and influential the band was.

Throw the rest in a hat and pick away. They can go in any order you want.
You forgot how bad Aerosmith was too. I agree Prince was one of the best but I liked Dre and Eminem, Gaga and Bruno after that. I just never liked Madonna's shows (but liked her songs) and Black Eyed Peas. U2 was okay. The problem with this half time show was there was no energy.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Had 7 people watching. 3 Rihanna fans, 4 who were indifferent. We all unanimously agreed, it was fine. It wasn't as good as last year, it wasn't as bad as Maroon 5, it was fine. I do feel like this country makes way too big of a deal about a halftime show that at its absolute best, is a few minutes of mildly entertaining interruption.
Well when your watching two of your most hated rivals it is all about the food, commercials and how bad the half time show is!

Reaction Score
One of the worst of all time... Audio was horrible; and what were dancing "marshmellows" suppodsed to be?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Had 7 people watching. 3 Rihanna fans, 4 who were indifferent. We all unanimously agreed, it was fine. It wasn't as good as last year, it wasn't as bad as Maroon 5, it was fine. I do feel like this country makes way too big of a deal about a halftime show that at its absolute best, is a few minutes of mildly entertaining interruption.
Spot on.

Also, if you really like music, IMO these montages are kind of garbage. If I like a song, I want to hear the entire song.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
target audiences?
how aboot the world?

too easy. they're in your area, whether u know it or not.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You forgot how bad Aerosmith was too. I agree Prince was one of the best but I liked Dre and Eminem, Gaga and Bruno after that. I just never liked Madonna's shows (but liked her songs) and Black Eyed Peas. U2 was okay. The problem with this half time show was there was no energy.

Aerosmith's halftime show definitely sucked.

Reaction Score
How did they get the raised platforms past OSHA? No railings or harnesses 6 ft above the ground? A HUGE fine for any construction or industrial operation.

Reaction Score
How did they get the raised platforms past OSHA? No railings or harnesses 6 ft above the ground? A HUGE fine for any construction or industrial operation.
Everyone had a harness on the platforms, you can see it here

Attachments

• 90015FAD-44E9-4D36-B581-826980AA775F.jpeg
    90015FAD-44E9-4D36-B581-826980AA775F.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 85

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Thoughts:
  • My 19 year old daughter said she and her college friends knew all the songs. Dare say that’s the target audience
  • Lip Synching the whole thing
  • Her PR confirmed that she is pregnant again. Good for her getting out there.
  • i didn’t know any song, and wondered how anyone could as they had no memorable musical hook or melody. It all just blended together.
  • Prefer acts with zero dancers to acts with lots of them. But I know they want a spectacle.
You should familiarize yourself with this banger…

Reaction Score
Everyone had a harness on the platforms, you can see it here
Would not call that an "OSHA approved" harness... They must have applied for, and received, some type of modification or partial exemption. Look it up in the OSHA manual if you do not believe me.

Could it have been hidden under her garments and attached to that rod that is attached to the platform, perhaps....

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Would not call that an "OSHA approved" harness... They must have applied for, and received, some type of modification or partial exemption. Look it up in the OSHA manual if you do not believe me.

Could it have been hidden under her garments and attached to that rod that is attached to the platform, perhaps....
If you thought that was dangerous, what about the stamp-sized platform Katy Perry used for her halftime.

_80719547_perry5_getty.jpg

Reaction Score
My teenage grandson ( AZHukiePup1 ) is staying with us and he officially said it was horrible , he is 15 and an expert obviously. I couldn’t watch so I have no comment .
it was a great game and you had to feel bad for Philly

Reaction Score
My teenage grandson ( AZHukiePup1 ) is staying with us and he officially said it was horrible , he is 15 and an expert obviously. I couldn’t watch so I have no comment .
Disagree on having to feel bad for anyone especially Philly. Philly defense was terrible in 4th quarter. Could not believe how wide open KC receivers were on the two mirror image plays. But game was great for me. I stopped for the night midway through a 1200 mile road trip. I was happy to watch the 2nd half and miss the halftime show as well.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
He was 8 when her last album Anti came out, not surprised he isn't a fan

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Disagree on having to feel bad for anyone especially Philly. Philly defense was terrible in 4th quarter. Could not believe how wide open KC receivers were on the two mirror image plays. But game was great for me. I stopped for the night midway through a 1200 mile road trip. I was happy to watch the 2nd half and miss the halftime show as well.
Agreed they made Kadarius Toney look all pro in the 4th

Reaction Score
Lol…..sure.

She’s a retro act up there singing 10-15 year old songs, but it was for the kids.
Rihanna, Dre, 50 Cent, Eminem, Mary J. Blige, JLo, Madonna, Aerosmith, Prince, The Who, Springsteen, Timberlake are for the kids.

AARP is for the kids.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
it was interesting to learn that the nfl has never paid any performer, except mj (the king of pop! tho he now ded, too.) for their effort. in fact, they tried to charge them for the privilege of appearing on their stage as the metrics prove being there made an instant impact for record sales. that didn't stick as i understand it.
of course, with blackpinks' success, they could prolly buy the nfl.
should be interesting negotiations.
i'd definitely watch iffn they did the gorillaz/hologram thing.

Reaction Score
The Chiefs saved some plays for the 2nd half used formations the Eagles never saw on film.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom