Half Time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Half Time

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
From what I remember, the headliners pay a small fortune to put on the show. They likely pay the crew, background dancers, etc out of their own pockets.

They more than make it back quickly in sales.
I guess when your net worth is over a billion you can do your reveal at half time of the Super Bowl

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thoughts:
  • My 19 year old daughter said she and her college friends knew all the songs. Dare say that’s the target audience
  • Lip Synching the whole thing
  • Her PR confirmed that she is pregnant again. Good for her getting out there.
  • i didn’t know any song, and wondered how anyone could as they had no memorable musical hook or melody. It all just blended together.
  • Prefer acts with zero dancers to acts with lots of them. But I know they want a spectacle.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20230213-072902_Chrome.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lots of "old man yells at cloud" energy in this thread.

The halftime show isn't for us, it's to get kids to watch.
Exactly. Because the kids love established artists somewhat past their prime.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

My daughter and her college roommates were huge Rihanna fans back in the day. They're all moms now

The halftime show ruined their memories of Rihanna concerts.

So there's that too. :)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I thought it was as poorly choreographed as anything I've ever seen. Couldn't even appreciate the dance skills because of the clown suits they were wearing

Reaction Score
As someone with a pregnant wife, it was immediately obvious she was pregnant.

I thought it did detract from the show though. She just kinda stood around for a lot of it. Made me even more surprised she didn't have any other guest stars.

Seemed like a statement. But the net result was just a bore.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This year the game was the entertainment was the game. Last years halftime show was almost or better than the game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

No one is saying it sucked. It was just kind of there.

This isn't a generational thing. I will be the first to say that the Who were one of the worst halftime shows of the last 30 years, followed closely by Petty, McCartney and the Rolling Sones. Actually, McCartney's was probably the worst of that group. All of those geezer bands completely mailed it in. And for a bunch of family friendly acts that were in response to the Timberlake/Jackson incident, why did Tom Petty's set start with a giant phallic lit up guitar inserting itself into his stage? I will leave Bruce out of that group. Springsteen always puts on a great show, but his set choice was "meh".

The ranking of Super Bowl halftime shows that I can remember:

1) Prince - if you disagree, you are simply wrong and should stop posting about popular culture, or anything else. I just rewatched it. Did he play that show in the rain?
2) U2
3) Bruno Mars - I didn't even know this guy that well at the time, but he put on an awesome show
4) Madonna
5) Lady Gaga
6) Dre and Eminem - It says something about how mediocre the Super Bowl halftime shows have been that last year's by the numbers performance may be the 6th best show of all time.
7) Black Eyed Peas - I don't get why there is so much hate these days against the Blackeyed Peas. I feel like the backlash against the Black Eyed peas will be a lot like the anti-Bee Gees backlash was in the 80's. It will pass and people will remember how original and influential the band was.

Throw the rest in a hat and pick away. They can go in any order you want.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I actually forgot how many hits Rihanna has. I thought the halftime show was meh, but anything following last year's with Dre and Snoop was going to be meh for me.

When she first came out I was thinking she looks pregnant, but knowing she just had a baby I did not want to have the women I was watching with yell at me for a wrong assumption. Once they pointed it out I jumped all over it "I knew it."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Every superbowl halftime show in history is horrible from a music perspective. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE
I don't know how they think it could be otherwise in that situation. The stage has to go up in moments. Can they really bring out instruments, have them be tuned, have proper sound checks (I know they do this ahead of time)? I don't think so. U2 and Prince did at least play instruments and sing. It was live. Nothing musical that happened yesterday was live.

Reaction Score
I wish they'd go in another direction for half-time show. No matter who they present, they have a huge captive audience. Get some Cuban music act that is really good- the place would be rocking! Yesterday's show was an elaborate set-up but so what? This boomer says put the Entertain back in Entertainment!

Reaction Score
I was thinking jupiter roaming amongst a bunch of alaskan umpa-lumpas. Or a cherry-flavored veruca salt. They probably could have scraped up something better.

Fox should have taken a page from its own playbook

Reaction Score
Thoughts:
  • My 19 year old daughter said she and her college friends knew all the songs. Dare say that’s the target audience
  • Lip Synching the whole thing
  • Her PR confirmed that she is pregnant again. Good for her getting out there.
  • i didn’t know any song, and wondered how anyone could as they had no memorable musical hook or melody. It all just blended together.
  • Prefer acts with zero dancers to acts with lots of them. But I know they want a spectacle.

I thought it was an entertaining and creative visual concept.

Every SB halftime show has at least lip-synced lyrics (sometimes, the instruments may be actually played live). Feel bad for many of the artists as you can see the pain on their faces to do it.

A few times last night, you could tell Rihanna was like "screw it...everyone knows this is lip-synced...I'm just gonna stop even pretending to move my mouth"

Reaction Score
Well it used to be for us old folks when we were somewhat younger. Aerosmith, U2, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, etc. Then somewhere along the line we aged out of the preferred demographic for purchases and now we get this stuff. Oh well, we just aren't relative any more. :)
I like all the bands listed above.

Prince put on the best halftime show.

My kids were 11 and 9 when the Stones did halftime, They had heard the Stones around the house all their lives but had never seen any videos of them. They both said who are these "old guys" when they came out on stage.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The nighttime toy routine would have made for more interesting conversation.
Actually, it was the following post that raised my eyebrows...
I used the time to go downstairs and bake off some nachos with Buffalo dip.
Never heard it called "bake off some nachos" before.
Why would a Giants fan root for Philly or Dallas for that matter?
My favorite football fans are Eagles fans and I'm taking care of their dog in an Eagles town while they are traveling six hours ahead in time. Their team beat my team (Giants).
Never the Cowboys!

It was a great game. KC responded, though the holding/PI call raised some eyebrows too.

As to the half time show...
I thought it was an entertaining and creative visual concept.
Agreed - full-stadium, full-screen, full-scale spectacle within the allotted time.

Reaction Score
Had 7 people watching. 3 Rihanna fans, 4 who were indifferent. We all unanimously agreed, it was fine. It wasn't as good as last year, it wasn't as bad as Maroon 5, it was fine. I do feel like this country makes way too big of a deal about a halftime show that at its absolute best, is a few minutes of mildly entertaining interruption.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Lol…..sure.

She’s a retro act up there singing 10-15 year old songs, but it was for the kids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom