From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD | Page 7 | The Boneyard

From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some people clearly bought into Jurich's self promotion. What Jurich was successful at was building better facilities over the years and improving some of the programs to make his school more appealing. He was not showing up at the ACC's door with some encyclopedia sets and getting presidents to buy them. ADs come and go, but CR is a long-term decision based on what league presidents think the institution can bring, and the ACC folks thought Ville could bring a southern-based program with football potential to appease FSU and Clemson.

In the last four years, Warde has started to do what Juruch did over 20 years - facility upgrades, fundraising improvements, good hires, keeping important people, etc. if he leaves, we will be in a much better position than we were four years ago. The football and hockey improvements alone in a short time have us much better situated.

Reaction Score
Some people clearly bought into Jurich's self promotion. What Jurich was successful at was building better facilities over the years and improving some of the programs to make his school more appealing. He was not showing up at the ACC's door with some encyclopedia sets and getting presidents to buy them. ADs come and go, but CR is a long-term decision based on what league presidents think the institution can bring, and the ACC folks thought Ville could bring a southern-based program with football potential to appease FSU and Clemson.

In the last four years, Warde has started to do what Juruch did over 20 years - facility upgrades, fundraising improvements, good hires, keeping important people, etc. if he leaves, we will be in a much better position than we were four years ago. The football and hockey improvements alone in a short time have us much better situated.
EXCELLENT POST!!!

Reaction Score
We had football facilities long before Warde got here and the hoops facility was well underway funding and planning wise.

I still have the visual of him hanging out at a meaningless Women's preseason hoops tourney "monitoring the situation" while Jurich was building consensus and selling Louisville around the ACC.

I don't know what to point to with him, the Field Hockey Championships? Signing Ollie in that goofy model which cost us 1-2 recruiting cycles.

I actually think he's learned a lot and is much more capable and experienced now, but it was amateur hour when he first came here.

Reaction Score
We had football facilities long before Warde got here and the hoops facility was well underway funding and planning wise.

I still have the visual of him hanging out at a meaningless Women's preseason hoops tourney "monitoring the situation" while Jurich was building consensus and selling Louisville around the ACC.

I don't know what to point to with him, the Field Hockey Championships? Signing Ollie in that goofy model which cost us 1-2 recruiting cycles.

I actually think he's learned a lot and is much more capable and experienced now, but it was amateur hour when he first came here.
He did a heck of a lot better than our previous AD, no?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

The part about the basketball facility is inaccurate. Hathaway kept telling people, including Herbst, that funding was A-OK and shovels would be hitting the ground any day now. When she learned the facility was nowhere near getting off the ground, that spelled the beginning of the end for JH.

Reaction Score

Louisville got in over UConn into the ACC because FSU and Clemson pulled the card and threatened to leave for the B-12 unless a solid football school was added. And as we all know VERY well especially if you are on here..Paul Pasqualoni was well on his way to torpedoing a good program.
Not true.... Jeff Hathaway raised $0 in 8 years for that facility! In the time Paul Pendergast was interim AD and the 18 months Warde Manuel was here before it was built the 2 of them raised enough money to demo Memorial Stadium, hire a design firm and get the thing built. The man flat out got that project done.

Reaction Score
Yes, selling the future and potential. He was lost and wasn't prepared. He had no pitch deck on UConn's vision, potential and rationale for an invitation.

Jurich did and was selling.

It's not only him, as a group they weren't prepared and marketing their potential. It's not like Louisvile is/was some football major, I mean, UConn beat them the Saturday before. They had to sell and differentiate that, but when you get paid $500k+, that is an expectation.

Louisville got in over UConn into the ACC because FSU and Clemson pulled the card and threatened to leave for the B-12 unless a solid football school was added. And as we all know VERY well especially if you are on here..Paul Pasqualoni was well on his way to torpedoing a good program.
Not true.... Jeff Hathaway raised $0 in 8 years for that facility! In the time Paul Pendergast was interim AD and the 18 months Warde Manuel was here before it was built the 2 of them raised enough money to demo Memorial Stadium, hire a design firm and get the thing built. The man flat out got that project done.

Reaction Score
Yes, selling the future and potential. He was lost and wasn't prepared. He had no pitch deck on UConn's vision, potential and rationale for an invitation.

Jurich did and was selling.

It's not only him, as a group they weren't prepared and marketing their potential. It's not like Louisvile is/was some football major, I mean, UConn beat them the Saturday before. They had to sell and differentiate that, but when you get paid $500k+, that is an expectation.
Think what you want...that was a done deal..FSU and Clemson told the ACC they were leaving if they didn't take Louisville. You do know that after the ACC agreed to take Louisville both schools signed the ACC grant of rights agreement right.

Reaction Score
Fine, why were Clemson and FSU convinced Louisville was some football power vs. UConn and why couldn't UConn create a business case for itself?

I guess statements about "monitoring the situation" are worse than "using all available resources" and not being at some stupid preseason hoops tourney at one of the most critical times in the program's history.

It was amateur hour, they were lost and weren't ready for any of it and got played. Jurich was ready.

Oh, but we're now in Hockey Easy along with teams like UMass Lowell, that should heighten our presence with the B1G and B12.

Think what you want...that was a done deal..FSU and Clemson told the ACC they were leaving if they didn't take Louisville. You do know that after the ACC agreed to take Louisville both schools signed the ACC grant of rights agreement right.

Reaction Score
Fine, why were Clemson and FSU convinced Louisville was some football power vs. UConn and why couldn't UConn create a business case for itself?

I guess statements about "monitoring the situation" are worse than "using all available resources" and not being at some stupid preseason hoops tourney at one of the most critical times in the program's history.

It was amateur hour, they were lost and weren't ready for any of it and got played. Jurich was ready.

Oh, but we're now in Hockey Easy along with teams like UMass Lowell, that should heighten our presence with the B1G and B12.
Last I knew AD's don't "get their schools in to a conference", that's the job of the University President. Jurich is a salesman plain and simple...keep your eye on him and watch how he spins this whole deal with the strippers and his men's hoops team. You want to put him on a pedestal than go and take a look at the scam he ran on the taxpayers for the Yum Center, take a look at his right hand at UL who was about as inept a AD as you will ever see t D-1 athletics in Julie Herman. If you want to place the CR blame anywhere...place it on Hathaway Austin and Hogan. They are the one's that blew it at the most critical time in the program's history.

Reaction Score
I joined very recently, but my guess is that it's a handle from one of the old incarnations of the BY. Someone else here (I forget who at the moment) is referred to as Frank Ivy even though that isn't who they are here.
Nelson was Waylon Smithers on the other site, before the migration.

Taste of UConn is Frank Ivy, and Perspective, and Strummer.

Reaction Score
It's the AD's responsibility to create a compelling Athlethics vision and pitch deck to sell the current and future. The President does the negotiation.

I think they were flat footed, even after Syracuse and Pittsburgh left only a few years earlier.

I said again, not him solely and might not have mattered. Just struggling what his actual contributions are/were? Hockey East? Does that mean anything to anyone related to CR? I'm sure the hockey program is huge red ink and will be for the school.

Last I knew AD's don't "get their schools in to a conference", that's the job of the University President. Jurich is a salesman plain and simple...keep your eye on him and watch how he spins this whole deal with the strippers and his men's hoops team. You want to put him on a pedestal than go and take a look at the scam he ran on the taxpayers for the Yum Center, take a look at his right hand at UL who was about as inept a AD as you will ever see t D-1 athletics in Julie Herman. If you want to place the CR blame anywhere...place it on Hathaway Austin and Hogan. They are the one's that blew it at the most critical time in the program's history.

Reaction Score
It's the AD's responsibility to create a compelling Athlethics vision and pitch deck to sell the current and future. The President does the negotiation.

I think they were flat footed, even after Syracuse and Pittsburgh left only a few years earlier.

I said again, not him solely and might not have mattered. Just struggling what his actual contributions are/were? Hockey East? Does that mean anything to anyone? I'm sure the hockey program is huge red ink and will be for the school.
He rebuilt the compliance department that Hathaway gutted, raised the $ got the basketball practice facility finished in 18 months..hathaway had 8 yrs and had NOTHING done...better yet..here is one of his coaches...he's as good a person as any to speak on how good of an AD he is.
Geno is pretty clear here on what Warde has done for UConn athletics.....
Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 7m7 minutes ago
Geno Auriemma on impact of Warde Manuel at UConn http://www.tout.com/m/da1pqm

View media
1 retweet0 likes

Here it is from the Courant:
DALLAS — Geno Auriemma said Saturday that he would miss UConnathletic director Warde Manuel should Manuel take the AD job at Michigan or any other university. But Auriemma also said it's foolish to think Manuel's departure will have anything to do with the university's chances of getting into a Power 5 conference.

"I wish I had a dollar for every idiot that thought Warde is the reason we're not in the Power Five," Auriemma said. "I can even find the words to describe how idiotic that [belief] is. My professional relationship with Warde is as good, if not better, than any AD [he's worked for]. And my personal relationship with him is better than any relationship I've ever had with any AD [at UConn].

"He's done a phenomenal job with the coaches, in terms of where we were and where we are right now. He might still be our AD 10 years from now, I don't know. Maybe not. But when you are that good at what you do, people notice, whether it's Michigan or elsewhere. His name always going to be in the news. And we [UConn] should hope it is. If we have an AD or a coach that nobody wants, then maybe we should be thinking that they aren't that good.

"Everyone has to do what's in their best interest for their family, themselves, their future and career. People that are happy Warde is our AD should be happy if he stays and happy if goes. I enjoy his company and what he's meant to our program."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was paid $500k+, good he did a few things that anyone at that level would be expected to.

Funny how Geno opens with defending him with the P5 thing knowing the optics of that event reflect poorly on him and exposed him as unprepared for that with zero message. That was the fact. Not saying it would have made the difference, but he was played during that hard.

He rebuilt the compliance department that Hathaway gutted, raised the $ got the basketball practice facility finished in 18 months..hathaway had 8 yrs and had NOTHING done...better yet..here is one of his coaches...he's as good a person as any to speak on how good of an AD he is.
Geno is pretty clear here on what Warde has done for UConn athletics.....
Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 7m7 minutes ago
Geno Auriemma on impact of Warde Manuel at UConn http://www.tout.com/m/da1pqm

View media
1 retweet0 likes

Here it is from the Courant:
DALLAS — Geno Auriemma said Saturday that he would miss UConnathletic director Warde Manuel should Manuel take the AD job at Michigan or any other university. But Auriemma also said it's foolish to think Manuel's departure will have anything to do with the university's chances of getting into a Power 5 conference.

"I wish I had a dollar for every idiot that thought Warde is the reason we're not in the Power Five," Auriemma said. "I can even find the words to describe how idiotic that [belief] is. My professional relationship with Warde is as good, if not better, than any AD [he's worked for]. And my personal relationship with him is better than any relationship I've ever had with any AD [at UConn].

"He's done a phenomenal job with the coaches, in terms of where we were and where we are right now. He might still be our AD 10 years from now, I don't know. Maybe not. But when you are that good at what you do, people notice, whether it's Michigan or elsewhere. His name always going to be in the news. And we [UConn] should hope it is. If we have an AD or a coach that nobody wants, then maybe we should be thinking that they aren't that good.

"Everyone has to do what's in their best interest for their family, themselves, their future and career. People that are happy Warde is our AD should be happy if he stays and happy if goes. I enjoy his company and what he's meant to our program."

Reaction Score
He was paid $500k+, good he did a few things that anyone at that level would be expected to.

Funny how Geno opens with defending him with the P5 thing knowing the optics of that event reflect poorly on him and exposed him as unprepared for that with zero message. That was the fact. Not saying it would have made the difference, but he was played during that hard.
Funny thing about people being expected to do their job at that level. Hathaway didn't do his job for 8 years and it took a new president a short amount of time to expose his act and run him out of town. As for Warde and CR...we will agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
Fair points. Hathaway was lousy in areas, no arguments. Not comparing the 2.

Hopefully it ends well for us!

Funny thing about people being expected to do their job at that level. Hathaway didn't do his job for 8 years and it took a new president a short amount of time to expose his act and run him out of town. As for Warde and CR...we will agree to disagree.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
So if Big Warde Manual leaves, how do you guys feel about Tim Pernetti?

I have more good to say about Warde than bad. He definitely has something of a legacy here.
Pernetti's an east coast guy - it's nice to have someone who will stick around, I think he would. RU supposedly had solid revenue growth under him and obviously he's the face that took them to the B1G (even if it was 25 years in the making). I can forgive the mistake with Rice, the question is "was he really a good AD", and I am not sure what the answer is. I mentioned three other guys here and I'd take any of them over him. So I'd say I'm interested but need to see the pool.

Reaction Score
Michigan is right near the top of prestiges jobs for anyone in the business.
Compound that by the fact he is a Michigan Alum.
I think he did a great job at UConn ,but more importantly the people doing the hiring at Michigan think he did a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom