From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD | Page 9 | The Boneyard

From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's as good as place as anywhere "to monitor the situation" from.

The last time I was in the Caribbean, I adamantly told my boss that there was no internet nor cell service there and left my BlackBerry at home.

Reaction Score
Good analysis. If hockey can somehow help UConn in realignment then great, otherwise it's another large debit in the athletic budget.

On the ACC, I thought Warde had strong ties with the BC AD (one of the reasons he was hired) to help with future opportunities with the ACC?

I thought UNC, Duke, Wake, GT were sold nos on Louisville? How did Louisville overcome their objectors and UConn couldn't/didn't? I just don't know how Warde has zero accountability in that? If not, who does? Only Suzy?

Again, I would like he to stay at this point, I think he's learned a lot since and is more capable to lead. But if he leaves (which why not, it's Michigan), I just am not going to overinflate his accomplishments and neglect any of his misses.

OK, in inverse order, Hockey East is the best collegiate hockey conference and UConn plays in it. B1G wants to be the best at everything, including hockey. Thus, UConn participation in Hockey East help greatly, especially if the Huskies are competing for a B1G slot with schools like Kansas, Oklahoma, etc.

As for the ACC, I have siad this elsewhere. Yes, UConn was overconfident about being the next one in. Yes, Jurich did a great job selling Louisville. Yes, Warde could have done more; but, at least he did not hurt UConn like prior AD's. But, in the end it did not matter.

When Maryland left, the ACC had 11 voting members and 3 pending/non-voting members in Syracuse, Pitt, and ND. To get into the ACC, UConn needed 2/3 majority of 7 'yes' votes. Of course, to save face, once 7 votes is secured, everyone is expected to vote 'yes' to save face. From the start, UConn had at least 4 solid 'no' votes - 1) BC, 2) Clemson, 3) FSU, and 4) Miami. In addition, there was a solid 'no' from pending member Syracuse and Pitt, who owed their P5 lives to Syracuse and BC, was told likely to follow along. Only 1 more school would have had to swing no, likely G Tech. UConn's vote was DOA before Maryland left and before anyone in Storrs could do squat. Louisville took advantage of that and won.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I thought UNC, Duke, Wake, GT were sold nos on Louisville? How did Louisville overcome their objectors and UConn couldn't/didn't? I just don't know how Warde has zero accountability in that? If not, who does? Only Suzy?

FSU and Clemson were threatening to leave if a "football school" wasn't added. If they left, it would have killed the ACC. It was a game of chicken and Tobacco Row was the first to flinch.

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson were threatening to leave if a "football school" wasn't added. If they left, it would have killed the ACC. It was a game of chicken and Tobacco Row was the first to flinch.
And now Oklahoma is doing the same thing in the big 12. Except this time UConn is in the opposite position where Oklahoma is threatening to leave if UConn and Cincinnati aren't added. It will be quite a screw job if this group of schools does the opposite of the acc.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
On the ACC, I thought Warde had strong ties with the BC AD (one of the reasons he was hired) to help with future opportunities with the ACC?
You need to check your timeline. Flipper was still BC's AD in the last round of realignment. He was replaced with Bates afterwards.

You may not have noticed but we are now in Hockey East (where UConn leads the league in attendance) with BC and have scheduled a series with them in football.

Reaction Score
Good analysis. If hockey can somehow help UConn in realignment then great, otherwise it's another large debit in the athletic budget.

Again, I would like he to stay at this point, I think he's learned a lot since and is more capable to lead. But if he leaves (which why not, it's Michigan), I just am not going to overinflate his accomplishments and neglect any of his misses.

Bath Bates (BC) and Warde (UConn) played football at Michigan and both are rumored to be candidates for the Michigan job, though Warde is thought to be the front-runner.

As for the 'vote,' please remember that no conference will ever admit any school that is not unanimous as a publicly split vote would be harmful to everyone. It is believed that UConn could have gotten in; but, it would have been a split vote 7 to 4. Such a vote would have destroyed the ACC with FSU, Clemson and possibly Miami bolting (BC can scream all it wants, they have no place to go). Thus, to save itself in the short-term, the ACC had to find an alternative and Louisville was it (likely beating out Cincinnati). As for the 'no' votes themselves (BC, FSU, Clemson, Miami), there was nothing Warde could have done to turn those as they all publicly came out against UConn before Warde was even in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Good points. Bad timing probably, now could be different with FSU and Clemson having recent success and playoff.

Bath Bates (BC) and Warde (UConn) played football at Michigan and both are rumored to be candidates for the Michigan job, though Warde is thought to be the front-runner.

As for the 'vote,' please remember that no conference will ever admit any school that is not unanimous as a publicly split vote would be harmful to everyone. It is believed that UConn could have gotten in; but, it would have been a split vote 7 to 4. Such a vote would have destroyed the ACC with FSU, Clemson and possibly Miami bolting (BC can scream all it wants, they have no place to go). Thus, to save itself in the short-term, the ACC had to find an alternative and Louisville was it (likely beating out Cincinnati). As for the 'no' votes themselves (BC, FSU, Clemson, Miami), there was nothing Warde could have done to turn those as they all publicly came out against UConn before Warde was even in Storrs.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And now Oklahoma is doing the same thing in the Big 12. Except this time UConn is in the opposite position where Oklahoma is threatening to leave if UConn and Cincinnati aren't added. It will be quite a screw job if this group of schools does the opposite of the acc.
The equation is a bit different as the ACC needed to add someone (to replace Maryland), the question was who. Part of the argument on Louisville was that if UConn was added, FSU (and possibly Clemson as well) would leave, forcing the ACC to again add membership, at which point Louisville would be the obvious frontrunner (with UConn already added). A big part of the argument was Louisville was going to end up in the ACC in either of two scenarios. The variable would then be whether UConn or FSU would be part of the ACC.

What will happen in the B-12 will be a decision on whether to placate OU (with expansion) or UT (without).

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
You may not have noticed but we are now in Hockey East (where UConn leads the league in attendance) with BC and have scheduled a series with them in football.

This is big. Rivalries are so important to college athletics and I can't think of a football rivalry for UConn. If you can develop one with BC, who seems to be lacking in that department as well, that will only help your football program to become stronger. Rutgers, because of proximity and common history, was the Big10 school that I thought would become your rival if you ever joined. BC would be the best, IMO, in that regard. Being the biggest Northeast football programs seems like you would be great natural rivals. The hate is already there and you also have history with them. Nothing but good can come from this.

Reaction Score
UConn was overconfident, because their contacts in the ACC were overconfident in their own vote whipping abilities.
Jungle add to that what Hathaway had been saying all along....that we were in no matter what...

Reaction Score
The equation is a bit different as the ACC needed to add someone (to replace Maryland), the question was who. Part of the argument on Louisville was that if UConn was added, FSU (and possibly Clemson as well) would leave, forcing the ACC to again add membership, at which point Louisville would be the obvious frontrunner (with UConn already added). A big part of the argument was Louisville was going to end up in the ACC in either of two scenarios. The variable would then be whether UConn or FSU would be part of the ACC.

What will happen in the B-12 will be a decision on whether to placate OU (with expansion) or UT (without).
OU is threatening to leave if they don't get their way. OU leaving would likely lead to a collapse of the conference or force the conference to add more schools for stability. It's a very similar situation.

Reaction Score
Not really since there is a GOR in place for 9 years. It's not like they can just bolt quickly, this can be negotiated over a longer period.

OU is threatening to leave if they don't get their way. OU leaving would likely lead to a collapse of the conference or force the conference to add more schools for stability. It's a very similar situation.

Reaction Score
Not really since there is a GOR in place for 9 years. It's not like they can just bolt quickly, this can be negotiated over a longer period.

9 years is not very long considering many schools take a couple of years to transfer over to a new conference and there are negotiations happening behind the scenes years before there is an official announcement.

Plus OU can simply challenge the GOR in court.

The bottom line is that as soon as OU makes any sort of move to leave the conference whether its challenging the GOR or leaked information about negotiations (which will certainly happen), then it will lead to immense instability regardless of when they officially switch to a different conference. This instability will bring down the conference because any team that can get out will try ASAP so they aren't one of the 4-6 teams out of 10 that will be joining the AAC.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Jungle add to that what Hathaway had been saying all along....that we were in no matter what...
That's a new one (to me), who was he saying that to?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That's a new one (to me), who was he saying that to?
I heard from a couple of highly placed people that JH told them as much (I heard this in '09). Supposedly JH was told by senior ACC people that when (not if) he ACC expands again (there was no timetable in this and it did not sound as if it would happen anywhere near as quickly as things ended up) Cuse & UConn would be the additions. It would take the two top BE programs (killing the conference as the '04 raid was supposed to), give the ACC what could be promoted as the two top hoops rivalries (UNC-Duke & Cuse-UConn), surround the NYC market and provide access for the ACC to play games in the NYC market.

Expansion in other conferences (Pac-10, B1G) led the ACC to hasten their next expansion. It did not help us that BC was on the three member committee but if JH had done enough (other than once again saying 'my work is done here') maintaining relationships with ACC members BC may not have had sufficient clout to replace us with Pitt.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I heard from a couple of highly placed people that JH told them as much (I heard this in '09). Supposedly JH was told by senior ACC people that when (not if) he ACC expands again (there was no timetable in this and it did not sound as if it would happen anywhere near as quickly as things ended up) Cuse & UConn would be the additions. It would take the two top BE programs (killing the conference as the '04 raid was supposed to), give the ACC what could be promoted as the two top hoops rivalries (UNC-Duke & Cuse-UConn), surround the NYC market and provide access for the ACC to play games in the NYC market.

Expansion in other conferences (Pac-10, B1G) led the ACC to hasten their next expansion. It did not help us that BC was on the three member committee but if JH had done enough (other than once again saying 'my work is done here') maintaining relationships with ACC members BC may not have had sufficient clout to replace us with Pitt.
Wow.

This makes sense with Swofford's mode of operation. Finishing the job. And with the Carolina section of the ACC originally holding the power in the ACC, FSU/Clemson/Miami/BC would have been chafing at the basketball schools from the time of the original BE raid through the last one. You can also see how UConn under Hogan/Hathaway could become complacent having had that information. Susan was on the job for a year, and Warde for a few months, by the time the last spot opened when Maryland left. Not enough time to fix Hathaway's mess and make the political connections needed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Louisville got in over UConn into the ACC because FSU and Clemson pulled the card and threatened to leave for the B-12 unless a solid football school was added. And as we all know VERY well especially if you are on here..Paul Pasqualoni was well on his way to torpedoing a good program.
Not true.... Jeff Hathaway raised $0 in 8 years for that facility! In the time Paul Pendergast was interim AD and the 18 months Warde Manuel was here before it was built the 2 of them raised enough money to demo Memorial Stadium, hire a design firm and get the thing built. The man flat out got that project done.
That is really a stunning fact.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But they don't have twitter in the USVI.

Or cell phones or email.
We were one tweet away from P5 memebership, and that fat b--tard was sitting at a pool drinking Pina Coladas? Bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom