Forgive my ambiguity here, reputable source: UConn making earnest P5 Push | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Forgive my ambiguity here, reputable source: UConn making earnest P5 Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Plus, the combined weight of Navy & G-Town is likely equal to or greater than Maryland.

Ehhh. Don't be so sure of that. I've spent some time in DC and most of the college sports conversation centers on Maryland, Virginia and even VT football. Georgetown is mostly an afterthought, except when they are exceptionally good- (kinda like St. John's' relationship with NYC) and so is Navy. Navy is bigger nationally than it is within the DC area.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the ACC just tell the Irish.."now or never" and then add Cincy and UConn. But you can't really push Notre Dame...they know folks are lined up to take them in.

Hello Big East circa 1997. Not fun having that problem now, is it?

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I think ND has about 5 years to make the playoff before their relevance will fade even more. ND can't argue that they don't have a good coach, because they have a very good coach. It may just be that ND is not ND anymore.

Weird, I thought they just made the BCS championship game not too long ago.

Reaction Score
Hello Big East circa 1997. Not fun having that problem now, is it?

Beats not having it, I reckon.

The Irish do bring a draw for the five games a year and a name OOC opponent.

And their non revenue sports are very good.

But...if you are one who wants the conference to go to 16, they are a hindrance.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. More likely to add UConn if they added a football program.

The problem is that the ACC is at 14...15 is an awkward, unbalanced number...going to 16 makes sense but the slot will probably wither awaiting Notre Dame.

I'd like to see the ACC just tell the Irish.."now or never" and then add Cincy and UConn. But you can't really push Notre Dame...they know folks are lined up to take them in.

I agree with you Billy, I have said this for awhile that I was shocked that the ACC gave into the partial arrangement.
It's a money maker for both sides but it also is ripe for resentment.

Reaction Score
Geographically, how different is the Big12 to the American
big-121.jpg

today.
20130702013606!American_Athletic_Conference_Member_Locations.png
Night and day?

Reaction Score
30% increase in average travel distance per school for a 20x increase in revenues from UConn's perspective. No Brainer.
I am not sure 30% is correct, but even if it is, that is a significant difference. I was only pointing out how different those two conferences are geographically. Now if you want to remove UCONN, Temple, Navy, Cincy, ECU, UCF, USF, and Memphis from the AAC map, then sure, they are similar.
Would the money be better in the Big 12? Yes. Will UCONN ever get an invite? Never.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I am not sure 30% is correct, but even if it is, that is a significant difference. I was only pointing out how different those two conferences are geographically. Now if you want to remove UCONN, Temple, Navy, Cincy, ECU, UCF, USF, and Memphis from the AAC map, then sure, they are similar.
Would the money be better in the Big 12? Yes. Will UCONN ever get an invite? Never.

Iowa state and Kansas are roughly the same distance driving from storrs as usf , ucf and Memphis are. 30% is correct I looked it up and the average is heavily offset by temple. While 30% is significant it's not the leap you are making it out to be by equating it to the pac, it's in the realm of reasonableness, certainly for uconn.

Wvu is 530 miles away, the big 12 on average is 1500, so wvu as a datapoint is already a geographic departure from the traditional big 12. The American was set on bringing in Boise and sdsu at one point. How important is geography?

Bowlsby is on record as saying the big 12 wants to move away from the LHN model and focus on a digitally delivered sports network. We've seen the numbers on uconns market penetration and the wealth of the market. If conferences go direct digital at 10-15 a month over streaming like the new sling model you sure as can bet we can monetize that as good as anyone.

If the big 12 needs 2 for a champ game your damn right were competitive for one of those spots.

These are my own thoughts by the way and in no way related to the op.

Reaction Score
Guys, he's mentioning possible NDAs. He obviously is being a great friend and is not saying anything further, but I am going to infer this means actual conversations with actual P5 conferences have taken place. Hopefully they were good conversations.

Reaction Score
Guys, he's mentioning possible NDAs. He obviously is being a great friend and is not saying anything further, but I am going to infer this means actual conversations with actual P5 conferences have taken place. Hopefully they were good conversations.

I was thinking the same thing. And I assume that he would be unlikely to post if the report from his contact was: there have been conversations and its a nonstarter. So, I think we can conclude we are in.
The other inference is that why have a conversation with an NDA if a move is not imminent? You cant keep secrets for years. So, I think its clear a move is announced soon.
The other inference that can be gleaned is that we are talking about the B1G. He said we are "using all available resources." That to me is a reference to the state level funding that is getting us up to B1G metrics on the academic side. That money would be pumped into a fast food sponsored stadium if we were talking about the ACC.
Lastly, I think he's talking about us joining in 2017. The reference to "2 degrees of separation" is a clear signal to 2017. We are "separated" now from the B1G by two years: 2015 and 2016.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't read too much into it, besides the actual message that @OkaForPrez said.

We are making an actual push for membership. That's comforting to here, because I've been concerned that Herbst really doesn't grasp or care about the athletic implications of this.

I believe OP and respect that he can't give anymore than what he said.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. And I assume that he would be unlikely to post if the report from his contact was: there have been conversations and its a nonstarter. So, I think we can conclude we are in.
The other inference is that why have a conversation with an NDA if a move is not imminent? You cant keep secrets for years. So, I think its clear a move is announced soon.
The other inference that can be gleaned is that we are talking about the B1G. He said we are "using all available resources." That to me is a reference to the state level funding that is getting us up to B1G metrics on the academic side. That money would be pumped into a fast food sponsored stadium if we were talking about the ACC.
Lastly, I think he's talking about us joining in 2017. The reference to "2 degrees of separation" is a clear signal to 2017. We are "separated" now from the B1G by two years: 2015 and 2016.
All you needed at the end there was "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" and it would have been perfect. :)

Reaction Score
All you needed at the end there was "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" and it would have been perfect. :)

I had to google it.

pj

Reaction Score

Your logic is impeccable but you should have followed it a bit further. The state just made $1.5 billion available to UConn -- those are available resources. We are "using all available resources" to get in the B1G. How can an athletic conference move require $1.5 bn? Undoubtedly we are using the $1.5 billion for a hostile takeover of the BTN. In order to get their games on television, Michigan and Ohio State are going to have to play ball.

Reaction Score
15 can work for football. Establish three 5 team pods. You play the teams in your pod every year, and then alternate 3 and 2 teams from the other pods.
Pod 1: UConn, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, VT "Old Big East"
Pod 2: Virginia, UNC, Duke, WF, NCST "Tobacco Road"
Pod 3: FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson, Louisville, "South aka good at football pod"

So from UConn's perspective, this is how it could shape up:
Year 1, Home: BC, Syracuse, Virginia, UNC, Duke. Away: Pitt, VT, FSU, Miami
Year 2, Home: Pitt, VT, WF, NCST. Away: BC, Syracuse, GT, Clemson, Louisville
Year 3, Home: BC, Syracuse, GT, Clemson, Louisville. Away: Pitt, VT, WF, NCST
Year 4, Home: Pitt, VT, FSU, Miami. Away: BC, Syracuse, Virginia, UNC, Duke.

SO under this set up regional ties are maintained, and it allows each school to play the others schools H/H every 4 years. I think its a good setup.

pj

Reaction Score
15 can work for football. Establish three 5 team pods. You play the teams in your pod every year, and then alternate 3 and 2 teams from the other pods.
Pod 1: UConn, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, VT "Old Big East"
Pod 2: Virginia, UNC, Duke, WF, NCST "Tobacco Road"
Pod 3: FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson, Louisville, "South aka good at football pod"

So from UConn's perspective, this is how it could shape up:
Year 1, Home: BC, Syracuse, Virginia, UNC, Duke. Away: Pitt, VT, FSU, Miami
Year 2, Home: Pitt, VT, WF, NCST. Away: BC, Syracuse, GT, Clemson, Louisville
Year 3, Home: BC, Syracuse, GT, Clemson, Louisville. Away: Pitt, VT, WF, NCST
Year 4, Home: Pitt, VT, FSU, Miami. Away: BC, Syracuse, Virginia, UNC, Duke.

SO under this set up regional ties are maintained, and it allows each school to play the others schools H/H every 4 years. I think its a good setup.

I think you got the pods a little mixed up. You meant to write:
Pod 1: UConn, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Michigan State
Pod 2: Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern
Pod 3: Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Weird, I thought they just made the BCS championship game not too long ago.

Nothing gets a quicker response on this board than saying something marginally negative about Notre Dame football. I forgot that this was a Notre Dame board too.

I am tired of arguing Notre Dame on this board because I don't really care enough about college football anymore. Notre Dame is the greatest football program in the history of football programs. Happy now?

Reaction Score

When he said we are using "all available resources", I thought he meant other people, such as Gov. Malloy who 1) is a BC graduate and could possibly soften their objections and 2) could possibly strong arm, I mean "talk" to ESPN.

Reaction Score
If you read the article linked about Maryland going to the big, the sentence that stands out to me is"Maryland doesn't command an usually large following, but access to the Washington and Baltimore markets matter".

Plus their football wasn't that good and attendance was low.

Markets matter people.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Nothing gets a quicker response on this board than saying something marginally negative about Notre Dame football. I forgot that this was a Notre Dame board too.

I am tired of arguing Notre Dame on this board because I don't really care enough about college football anymore. Notre Dame is the greatest football program in the history of football programs. Happy now?

Actually, no. I'm not a ND fan and I don't much care if you talk about them, as long as it's accurate . Implying that they are already somewhat irrelevant is ridiculous considering just two years ago they were in the national championship game.

But then again, it's you making the comment, so I should have expected you to say something ridiculous.

Reaction Score
At the O'Bannon trial: George Schroeder@GeorgeSchroeder · 15m
Delany also mentioned membership in the AAU at time of application & sponsoring at least 16 sports as requirements for B1G entry.

I believe that is the most recent comment. It seems like a rehearsed statement, but as time passes I could see some wiggle room by saying that Delany wasn't expressing the collective sentiment of the Presidents and Chancellors of the Big Ten (or that those sentiments have changed).

I'm still trying to reconcile his comments with those of Scott Chipman back when all this began:

"There are no restrictions regarding expansion - potential additions are not required to be in the AAU, and they do not have to be in (or adjacent to) the eight Big Ten states," league spokesman Scott Chipman wrote in an e-mail. Removing the AAU and geographic limitations means the Big Ten can add any school from anywhere in the country.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/525178.html?nav=742

I mentioned this last summer when Delaney first made those comments, but Chipman had been very clear the Big Ten did not have an actual bylaw concerning AAU membership. Perhaps that's changed in the past 4-5 years, but that's what makes the comments more odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom