Forgive my ambiguity here, reputable source: UConn making earnest P5 Push | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Forgive my ambiguity here, reputable source: UConn making earnest P5 Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He said nothing. Not a thing. His apology for being ‘vague’ was the most explicit thing he said. I think he owes the word ‘vague’ and apology for to be vague SOME information must be conveyed, yes?
No, he said something all right. He confirmed that we are not sitting back and "monitoring the situation," instead aggressively pursuing membership through back channels. In a respect, I'm glad we're not going about it by posting ridiculous Twitter selfies with B12 presidents, etc.

Reaction Score
I do appreciate knowing that the school is making a concerted effort and that they realize how important this is for the university as a whole.

But the real question is whether there's any legitimate P5 interest in UConn. Rumors keep popping up about UCF, Cincinnati, BYU, even Memphis. Haven't heard anything solid about there being interest in UConn since we were passed up for the ACC spot that they gave to Louisville.

Reaction Score
We damn well better be aggressively pursuing P5 admittance. I take that as a given. My concern is that there is no reciprocal interest and no one here knows whether there is or not.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We damn well better be aggressively pursuing P5 admittance. I take that as a given. My concern is that there is no reciprocal interest and no one here knows whether there is or not.

There's also a potential partnership issue. It's a tough sell for a conference to expand to an odd number given the scheduling nightmares that come associated with that. Other schools that may be of interest to a P5 conference are either tied up by a GoR or huge exit fee (most likely both). The schools left on the sidelines aren't that appetizing once you get past UConn, BYU and maybe a few others depending on what conference would want them.

Reaction Score
There's also a potential partnership issue. It's a tough sell for a conference to expand to an odd number given the scheduling nightmares that come associated with that. Other schools that may be of interest to a P5 conference are either tied up by a GoR or huge exit fee (most likely both). The schools left on the sidelines aren't that appetizing once you get past UConn, BYU and maybe a few others depending on what conference would want them.

If conference championship game deregulation passes (and it looks like it will this Spring) the ACC may want an even number of basketball schools. They would only need 1 school to get to 16. Just sayin.

Reaction Score
Herbst has described athletics as the "front porch" of a University. She absolutely recognizes it's value in marketing, branding, and fundraising.

That's basically what she said at the NYC Alumni event over the winter. Basically agreed that P5 is very important for UConn's image and future aspirations; but, is focused on research dollars, state budget wrangling, increasing number and quality of faculty, etc. because that is what UConn can control, cannot control when/if the P5 decides to expand (or contract to a P4 alignment). The fact that she spoke on the academic side of the house versus athletic (Warde was there) makes me thinks if there is a push for P5, it is the B1G for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
I would expect at a minimum that anyone worth a damn at UCONN is making a full-balls-out push for a P5 invite. I don't think it's coming, but if they aren't pushing 24/7, they are not doing their job.

Reaction Score
That's basically what she said at the NYC Alumni event over the winter. Basically agreed that P5 is very important for UConn's image and future aspirations; but, is focused on research dollars, state budget wrangling, increasing number and quality of faculty, etc. because that is what UConn can control, cannot control when/if the P5 decides to expand (or contract to a P4 alignment). The fact that she spoke on the academic side of the house versus athletic (Warde was there) makes me thinks if there is a push for P5, it is the B1G for obvious reasons.

The B1G would not wish to dilute their current cash pile by adding another member without the expectation the new member would eventually contribute to said cash pile… make a deposit, not a withdrawal, ya know. Is UConn that school?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The B1G would not wish to dilute their current cash pile by adding another member without the expectation the new member would eventually contribute to said cash pile… make a deposit, not a withdrawal, ya know. Is UConn that school?

Framed by the BTN, why not? Without the BTN our value pales, IMO. What the BTN needs and we can help supply, nicely, is quality content, year round

Reaction Score
I do appreciate knowing that the school is making a concerted effort and that they realize how important this is for the university as a whole.

But the real question is whether there's any legitimate P5 interest in UConn. Rumors keep popping up about UCF, Cincinnati, BYU, even Memphis. Haven't heard anything solid about there being interest in UConn since we were passed up for the ACC spot that they gave to Louisville.
The teams you mention that have rumors popping up about them would only be B12 possibilities and that's because that conference is fluid. I don't think you're going to see rumors re ACC or BIG10 expansion since those conferences know to keep their mouths shut.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Framed by the BTN, why not? Without the BTN our value pales, IMO. What the BTN needs and we can help supply, nicely, is quality content, year round
The BTN is offered by Comcast out of Middletown, but it is on a specialty sports tier. If UConn were to be invited, the BTN would in all likelihood go to a basic expanded tier (a la ESPNU) and demand a higher carriage rate. That along with advertising revenue in the Hartford/New Haven market would approach the aforementioned cash pile. Add in Fairfield County, and it far exceeds it.

pj

Reaction Score
Rumors keep popping up about UCF, Cincinnati, BYU, even Memphis. Haven't heard anything solid about there being interest in UConn since we were passed up for the ACC spot that they gave to Louisville.
The teams you mention that have rumors popping up about them would only be B12 possibilities and that's because that conference is fluid. I don't think you're going to see rumors re ACC or BIG10 expansion since those conferences know to keep their mouths shut.

The B12 wouldn't leak about UConn either if they have us highly rated, because they'd worry the ACC or B1G might preemptively take us away if they knew a B12 invite was imminent. Why invite competition for the most attractive candidate remaining?

I'd expect something to leak in the late stages of a possible B12 deal, but not 6 months early, which is where we now are.

Reaction Score
The B12 wouldn't leak about UConn either if they have us highly rated, because they'd worry the ACC or B1G might preemptively take us away if they knew a B12 invite was imminent. Why invite competition for the most attractive candidate remaining?

I'd expect something to leak in the late stages of a possible B12 deal, but not 6 months early, which is where we now are.
Do you really see UConn as a fit in the B12? As much as UConn wants P5, it's a bit hard for me to see that arrangement. ACC yes. B1G maybe. B12...not so much.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Do you really see UConn as a fit in the B12? As much as UConn wants P5, it's a bit hard for me to see that arrangement. ACC yes. B1G yes. B12...not so much.

Why not?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Might as well add the PAC12 to the list as well...

Geographically, how different is the Big12 to the American
big-121.jpg

today.
20130702013606!American_Athletic_Conference_Member_Locations.png

pj

Reaction Score
The B12 is as good a geographic fit for us as the AAC, and it's a much better conference. If the B1G won't add without a partner and if there won't be a partner until the GoR expire for the ACC or B12, then the B12 could be our best landing place ... until the next realignment shuffle in 10 years.

From the B12's point of view, money is the key thing, and also potential for a network which might enable the conference to continue after expiration of the current contract. For that they need markets. UConn brings more money than any other available school. BYU would be comparable in value to us, and Cincy, USF, and UCF would be distinctly worse.

Reaction Score
Yes, the American. Of course you are correct. I simply thought, among the P5, there may be some better options. I quite misunderstood your point.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
My UConn insider has also told me the same as I have mentioned before. "They (Warde and Susan) have been working their butts off!"

I also heard that "Susan is a huge sports fan and understands the importance of being in a P5."

Whether or not we make it is another question, but it's not for lack or trying.

Reaction Score
For the love of.....UCONN is never going to get an invite from the Big 12. Never.

Reaction Score
I believe UConn's land bridge from NYC to New England (and other attributes) makes y'all far too attractive for B1G to take a pass on. Now, why Delany felt the need to put the AAU requirement on record is a curiosity. Assuming the directive to do so came from above, it's hard to speculate on the direction that this is headed. I believe they know that UConn's AAU invite is coming, but perhaps not the timing. So, sit tight...

Bedsides, don't you have NCAA credits to collect for a while yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom