Forgive my ambiguity here, reputable source: UConn making earnest P5 Push | The Boneyard

Forgive my ambiguity here, reputable source: UConn making earnest P5 Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sorry folks, I have to keep this intentionally vague and while nothing I write here will appear out of step with traditional rumor mongering, it gave me comfort to hear it so choose to take from it what you want.

While I'm sure we've all assumed UConn is working hard to pitch the P5 conferences for inclusion I'm now 2 degrees of separation from someone directly involved in the process. We're using all available resources and have compelling arguments and while there's no telling what the results of that process will be, I firmly believe we're not leaving it to chance.

You might write that off as a non story, but I think its significant. The person who brought this to me is not a realignment junky. They know I follow it closely so when the info came to them they connected it to me. All of the talking points they referenced fit the discussion and the source they indicated is plausible.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I don't want to downplay your semi-news and I am certainly not meaning to discredit your sources. I believe you were told exactly what you wrote. But I read your thread title and the first thought I had was "yawn."

No disrespect, but haven't we always been trying to get a P5 invite? Hasn't that always been our goal? I'm sure we are trying hard.

On the flip side, this may be reading too much into it, but if we are only now trying "in earnest" to get that invite, shame on our administration.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry folks, I have to keep this intentionally vague and while nothing I write here will appear out of step with traditional rumor mongering, it gave me comfort to hear it so choose to take from it what you want.

While I'm sure we've all assumed UConn is working hard to pitch the P5 conferences for inclusion I'm now 2 degrees of separation from someone directly involved in the process. We're using all available resources and have compelling arguments and while there's no telling what the results of that process will be, I firmly believe we're not leaving it to chance.

You might write that off as a non story, but I think its significant. The person who brought this to me is not a realignment junky. They know I follow it closely so when the info came to them they connected it to me. All of the talking points they referenced fit the discussion and the source they indicated is plausible.

For what it's worth, I can make a very similar claim -- although I've hesitated to post it here before. When I heard news that I would say is very similar to OkaForPrez, I felt exactly the same way -- somewhat comforted. I am reminded of this often when I read things about U of Cincy President is doing X or meeting with Y while it appears we are sitting back and do nothing. That's simply not the case.

We all want to remain optimistic and believe that we will have an exit, but I think in our heart of hearts, we know it may all prove to be for naught for a variety of reasons. Regardless, the fact of the matter is that the UConn Administration is well aware, focused and pursuing this issue.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't want to downplay your semi-news and I am certainly not meaning to discredit your sources. I believe you were told exactly what you wrote. But I read your thread title and the first thought I had was "yawn."

No disrespect, but haven't we always been trying to get a P5 invite? Hasn't that always been our goal? I'm sure we are trying hard.

On the flip side, this may be reading too much into it, but if we are only now trying "in earnest" to get that invite, shame on our administration.
No disrespect taken. Like I said, some may see this as a non story if you always assumed we were doing our due diligence. If you had any doubt about that, hopefully this helps quell it. The things that would make this more interesting aren't share-able.

Reaction Score

I totally agree with this sentiment. We can try as hard as we want to lobby/campaign for a spot in a P5 conference, but its up to ACC/B1G to decide that they will expand. If they choose to wait, it only hurts us.

Reaction Score
I think we have had meetings. The peer B1G presidents have whispered on path. There's a clear strategic path that President Herbst is taking. And, I think Rutgers was given some direction before they were chosen. This is looking like a checklist of things that needed to happen for a Land Grant to meet the threshold.

That's been my feel for awhile. Don't have any directive from anyone.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
OkaForPrez said:

Thanks. It does help. Obviously, the decision makers can and will change priorities, recommendations, plans right up until an invite is extended.

I'm satisfied with UConn's leadership so long as they are in position to be the pick if a decision to expand is made, and they are making a case that expanding would provide tangible benefits to the expanding conference.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
No feedback on reception of advances? They focused on Big Ten or ACC or just carpet-bombing both?
Sorry Whaler I'm not going to reveal anything outside of the original post, for all intents and purposes I want plausible deniability that I'm a WV hillbilly making this all up. If there are NDA's involved I don't want to harm real people.

Assume me a hillbilly and hope I'm not.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry Whaler I'm not going to reveal anything outside of the original post, for all intents and purposes I want plausible deniability that I'm a WV hillbilly making this all up. If there are NDA's involved I don't want to harm real people.

Assume me a hillbilly and hope I'm not.

Understood. It was reassuring to hear. Not because I think they should be more public about it - more that it might not be as big a priority for Herbst as most of us would want it to be.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Can we stop with the Dumb and Dumber clip. Albeit infinitely more funny, it's as old as the "in 20 minutes" thing...but only because "in 20 minutes" is not, was not, nor will never be even remotely funny.

Reaction Score
it ain't much, but it's hope. I'll be very sad if my future kids never witness UConn glory and national relevancy like I have, so any news about a direction toward the P5 is good news.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Herbst has described athletics as the "front porch" of a University. She absolutely recognizes it's value in marketing, branding, and fundraising.

Yes I've heard her say that and hoped it was true - but you never know.

Reaction Score
Kind of a side question to all of this and please tell me if I'm wrong but didn't UConn hire a couple of consultants about a year ago whose sole job was to actively lobby for our inclusion in the P5? Was wondering if anyone knows anything about them? Are they still employed by the university?

Reaction Score
This is good enough for me. Should we start planning the epic "we are finally out of the AAC" happy hour? I'm thinking as soon as Brett McMurphy sends out a tweet to make it official we all congregate at City Steam. First Yarder to use the bathroom has to pay.

Reaction Score
it ain't much, but it's hope. I'll be very sad if my future kids never witness UConn glory and national relevancy like I have, so any news about a direction toward the P5 is good news.
He said nothing. Not a thing. His apology for being ‘vague’ was the most explicit thing he said. I think he owes the word ‘vague’ and apology for to be vague SOME information must be conveyed, yes?

Reaction Score
I guess we'll see. I figured the university was doing something. Any info if we close with anything? Any meaningful discussions?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't have any reputable sources of any kind but I can read and make logical deductions.

UCONN's biggest perceived weaknesses since all of the CR shuffling began:
1. non-AAU
2. football program (includes off-campus stadium, stadium size, recent records, and recruiting grounds)
3. small endowment
4. men's basketball APR / post-APR era / post-Calhoun era

What UCONN has done since that time:
1. successfully secured funding from the state in excess of $1.5B to significantly expand buildings, labs, and faculty
2. time will tell, but firing Pasqualoni was a good start. Would love to see some artist renderings of what an expanded Rent would look like
3. hired a very successful fundraiser from Emory University who has boosted the endowment over $400M and has set records for money raised
4. perfect 1000 APR scores to go along with a National Championship - needless to say, UCONN hoops has successfully made the transition

These scheduled football and basketball games in New York and Boston and against B1G schools (or schools who are rumored to be on the B1G radar in Missouri and UVA) is a wonderful opportunity to show UConn's reach outside of CT. They're also hopeful signs that our AD is engaged in conversations with other B1G ADs.

UConn just needs to keep doing what we're doing. Build up research, the endowment and the football program. We can't make any conference decide to expand, but we sure as hell can make it more difficult to stay with the current status quo.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He said nothing. Not a thing. His apology for being ‘vague’ was the most explicit thing he said. I think he owes the word ‘vague’ and apology for to be vague SOME information must be conveyed, yes?
I said more than you are giving me credit for if you are paying attention. And I hope my reputation on this board is saying something too.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
No disrespect taken. Like I said, some may see this as a non story if you always assumed we were doing our due diligence. If you had any doubt about that, hopefully this helps quell it. The things that would make this more interesting aren't share-able.

If you had any doubt about that, hopefully this helps quell it. The things that would make this more interesting aren't share-aBiG.
Interesting spelling choice.

Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member