Forgive my ambiguity here, reputable source: UConn making earnest P5 Push | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Forgive my ambiguity here, reputable source: UConn making earnest P5 Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I appreciate that UConn is working behind the scenes quietly. Most mergers are built over time and trust is needed. One way to earn trust is to keep lips sealed. I have little doubt that UConn has received "guidance" regarding media leaks.

All that being said I would also appreciate if UConn had some moles highly involved in any talks that could provide some positive media spin or generate social media buzz occassionally.

Reaction Score
It would be consistent with the modus operandi of Delany and the B1G Presidents and Chancellors to communicate with Herbst and others at UConn about B1G membership with a non-disclosure agreement in place similar to their experience with Maryland. It appears to me that Herbst is positioning UConn as a candidate for B1G membership and suspect ongoing conversations are being held behind the scenes about a path to B1G membership.

"Before the meeting could take place, the Big Ten asked Maryland officials to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Delany did not want public discourse. A year earlier, when the Big Ten had inquired about several Big 12 schools, conference officials initially wanted transparency in the process. Instead, the public discussion led to mayhem."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/maryland-to-big-ten-its-money-versus-tradition/2012/12/11/3c5da16c-3fd0-11e2-ae43-cf491b837f7b_story.html

Reaction Score
Do you really see UConn as a fit in the B12? As much as UConn wants P5, it's a bit hard for me to see that arrangement. ACC yes. B1G maybe. B12...not so much.

Obviously the B1G and ACC are better fits, but one of the reasons UConn didn't get an invite was for football reasons. The Big 12 already has great football. The reason for any potential expansion would be to add numbers to get to a CCG, so why not add UConn?

Reaction Score
I do appreciate knowing that the school is making a concerted effort and that they realize how important this is for the university as a whole.

But the real question is whether there's any legitimate P5 interest in UConn. Rumors keep popping up about UCF, Cincinnati, BYU, even Memphis. Haven't heard anything solid about there being interest in UConn since we were passed up for the ACC spot that they gave to Louisville.
how many rumors did you hear about MD or Rutty before they moved to the Big?

Reaction Score
If conference championship game deregulation passes (and it looks like it will this Spring) the ACC may want an even number of basketball schools. They would only need 1 school to get to 16. Just sayin.

CTGoonie count me as one of your fans, but if you're thinking that UConn only joins the ACC as a BB member only - then it. NFW!

B C, WF, Syra...., Pitts all are full members and we're not? that and the whole ACC if they think will bite at that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm sorry folks, I have to keep this intentionally vague and while nothing I write here will appear out of step with traditional rumor mongering, it gave me comfort to hear it so choose to take from it what you want.

While I'm sure we've all assumed UConn is working hard to pitch the P5 conferences for inclusion I'm now 2 degrees of separation from someone directly involved in the process...The person who brought this to me is not a realignment junky...All of the talking points they referenced fit the discussion and the source they indicated is plausible.

Although this sounds like the girl from Ferris Bueller (my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's...), you've still made my day. You're now in my Fab 5... ;)

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
CTGoonie count me as one of your fans, but if you're thinking that UConn only joins the ACC as a BB member only - then it. NFW!

B C, WF, Syra...., Pitts all are full members and we're not? that and the whole ACC if they think will bite at that.
I don't thinks that's what he means. He likely means if conference championship game and division rules are deregulated (vote coming this year) then the ACC can go to a single division in football with 15 teams (picking the two highest ranked teams for the champ game) plus keep the deal with ND, and round out basketball and other Olympic sports with 16 full members.

Likely not going to happen. Unless the ACC network comes to fruition, so yeah not gonna happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't want to downplay your semi-news and I am certainly not meaning to discredit your sources. I believe you were told exactly what you wrote. But I read your thread title and the first thought I had was "yawn."

No disrespect, but haven't we always been trying to get a P5 invite? Hasn't that always been our goal? I'm sure we are trying hard.

On the flip side, this may be reading too much into it, but if we are only now trying "in earnest" to get that invite, shame on our administration.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Your cynicism sickens me. What part of 2 degrees of separation don't you understand?

Reaction Score
I don't have any reputable sources of any kind but I can read and make logical deductions.

UCONN's biggest perceived weaknesses since all of the CR shuffling began:
1. non-AAU
2. football program (includes off-campus stadium, stadium size, recent records, and recruiting grounds)
3. small endowment
4. men's basketball APR / post-APR era / post-Calhoun era

What UCONN has done since that time:
1. successfully secured funding from the state in excess of $1.5B to significantly expand buildings, labs, and faculty
2. time will tell, but firing Pasqualoni was a good start. Would love to see some artist renderings of what an expanded Rent would look like
3. hired a very successful fundraiser from Emory University who has boosted the endowment over $400M and has set records for money raised
4. perfect 1000 APR scores to go along with a National Championship - needless to say, UCONN hoops has successfully made the transition

These scheduled football and basketball games in New York and Boston and against B1G schools (or schools who are rumored to be on the B1G radar in Missouri and UVA) is a wonderful opportunity to show UConn's reach outside of CT. They're also hopeful signs that our AD is engaged in conversations with other B1G ADs.

UConn just needs to keep doing what we're doing. Build up research, the endowment and the football program. We can't make any conference decide to expand, but we sure as hell can make it more difficult to stay with the current status quo.
In regards to the ACC snub, the only perceived weakness I thought was #2 on your list, bad football, at least according to an FSU poster on this blog. None of the rest mattered to the ACC on the final go around. Academics didn't matter, endowment didn't matter, men's basketball APR didn't matter. No other sports mattered except football, according to what I read here. AAU didn't matter to the ACC. Our President appeared at many alumni gatherings this past year where she was promoting advancements at the university in an attempt to lure donors. Even at the Wall Street event, where there was money for the taking, no news on the CR scene. Not even a statement that they were doing anything proactive. Also, in regards to your last statement, please advise what the hopeful signs are that our AD is engaged in conversations with other B1G ADs. Are you referring to scheduled football games against a couple B1G teams down the road, or is there more to it?

CL82

Reaction Score
No disrespect taken. Like I said, some may see this as a non story if you always assumed we were doing our due diligence. If you had any doubt about that, hopefully this helps quell it. The things that would make this more interesting aren't share-able.
But, perfect for sharing via PM. Right? Right?

CL82

Reaction Score
Can we stop with the Dumb and Dumber clip. Albeit infinitely more funny, it's as old as the "in 20 minutes" thing...but only because "in 20 minutes" is not, was not, nor will never be even remotely funny.
You can't say that. It could be hilarious sometime in the future. Say, oh I don't know...in twenty minutes?

Reaction Score
I believe UConn's land bridge from NYC to New England (and other attributes) makes y'all far too attractive for B1G to take a pass on. Now, why Delany felt the need to put the AAU requirement on record is a curiosity. Assuming the directive to do so came from above, it's hard to speculate on the direction that this is headed. I believe they know that UConn's AAU invite is coming, but perhaps not the timing. So, sit tight...
He's actually on record as saying it's not a requirement (though it's certainly something the B1G prefers).

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
In regards to the ACC snub, the only perceived weakness I thought was #2 on your list, bad football, at least according to an FSU poster on this blog. None of the rest mattered to the ACC on the final go around. Academics didn't matter, endowment didn't matter, men's basketball APR didn't matter. No other sports mattered except football, according to what I read here. AAU didn't matter to the ACC. Our President appeared at many alumni gatherings this past year where she was promoting advancements at the university in an attempt to lure donors. Even at the Wall Street event, where there was money for the taking, no news on the CR scene. Not even a statement that they were doing anything proactive. Also, in regards to your last statement, please advise what the hopeful signs are that our AD is engaged in conversations with other B1G ADs. Are you referring to scheduled football games against a couple B1G teams down the road, or is there more to it?
The APR/post season ban did matter. It wasn't the only issue but the ACC wasn't going to welcome a new member on a post season ban.

Reaction Score
He's actually on record as saying it's not a requirement (though it's certainly something the B1G prefers).

At the O'Bannon trial: George Schroeder@GeorgeSchroeder · 15m
Delany also mentioned membership in the AAU at time of application & sponsoring at least 16 sports as requirements for B1G entry.

I believe that is the most recent comment. It seems like a rehearsed statement, but as time passes I could see some wiggle room by saying that Delany wasn't expressing the collective sentiment of the Presidents and Chancellors of the Big Ten (or that those sentiments have changed).

Reaction Score

Sorry for the confusion. For the record that hypothetical scenario was for all football too. I realize it would leave the ACC with 15 1/2 members but I'm sure they can work it out. I mean they have 2 conference teams playing each other out of conference so it's unbalanced already.

Reaction Score
To plug their mid-Atlantic hole, any chance the ACC gets creative and invites Navy in as a football only member (maybe lacrosse, too), which adds an historical name and allows ND to cover one of its traditional games as an in-conference match, and Georgetown in all other sports except for football? That would make Syracuse very happy and add a solid basketball name. Plus, the combined weight of Navy & G-Town is likely equal to or greater than Maryland.

Reaction Score
To plug their mid-Atlantic hole, any chance the ACC gets creative and invites Navy in as a football only member (maybe lacrosse, too), which adds an historical name and allows ND to cover one of its traditional games as an in-conference match, and Georgetown in all other sports except for football? That would make Syracuse very happy and add a solid basketball name. Plus, the combined weight of Navy & G-Town is likely equal to or greater than Maryland.

I know that partial conference members will only get a partial share of the league's tv revenue, but I don't really know if Georgetown and Navy would be worth their approx. share of the revenue on the television side of things

Reaction Score

I don't think so. More likely to add UConn if they added a football program.

The problem is that the ACC is at 14...15 is an awkward, unbalanced number...going to 16 makes sense but the slot will probably wither awaiting Notre Dame.

I'd like to see the ACC just tell the Irish.."now or never" and then add Cincy and UConn. But you can't really push Notre Dame...they know folks are lined up to take them in.

Reaction Score

The problem is that the ACC is at 14...15 is an awkward, unbalanced number...going to 16 makes sense but the slot will probably wither awaiting Notre Dame.

I'd like to see the ACC just tell the Irish.."now or never" and then add Cincy and UConn. But you can't really push Notre Dame...they know folks are lined up to take them in.
I think the only folks lined up to take them in is the B-12...IMHO the B1G ship has already sailed

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I think ND has about 5 years to make the playoff before their relevance will fade even more. ND can't argue that they don't have a good coach, because they have a very good coach. It may just be that ND is not ND anymore.

I think UConn's best realistic case for something positive in CR is to be a partial ACC member like ND. I don't think it is likely, but it is the best outcome that seems even remotely possible. To do that, UConn needs to get the basketball team back in the Top 10 and get the football program to 8 or 9 wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom