Fiesta Bowl | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Fiesta Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This will leave a lasting impression, but mostly about UCF. Now we need to get to the point where 3-4 teams in the league get solid OOC wins and get above .500 in the bowl-season. Good for the AAC and while not a game changer, a nice chew for the gurus during the off season. I'm just not sure how closely our fate is tied to the performance of the league.

Reaction Score
There was once a team from the BE that went into the Sugar Bowl against Georgia given ZERO shot...that day Rich Rod & WVU put the BE on the map. O'Leary & UCF did the same thing last night for the AAC. Now it is up to the rest of us to do our part.

Reaction Score
Wow O'Leary deserves a ton of credit). Can see why ND hired him before the resume fiasco. AAC on the map. The only real disappointment was Cincy. Proves it can be done with recruiting classes similar to ours.

Reaction Score
WHat a great game to watch! Glad the AAC was represented well. Baylor had some crazy offensive numbers heading into the game. UCF was able to contain them enough and keep up blow for blow to win in a shootout. Makes that 52 to whatever loss feel a bit better. Good stuff!

Reaction Score
I'm tooting my own horn here.

I touted UCF in early September because of Bortles and Johnson. I was ridiculed for the idea. A few people (3 of them) thought it was preposterous that UCF would come close to beating Louisville. UCF's year did not surprise me.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm tooting my own horn here.

I touted UCF in early September because of Bortles and Johnson. I was ridiculed for the idea. A few people (3 of them) thought it was preposterous that UCF would come close to beating Louisville. UCF's year did not surprise me.

Me either. For the most part. After I saw them play South Carolina I posted that I thought this team was a legitimate top 15-20 team. They were clearly for real. Now they may very well finish in the top 10. I don't know that I'd have thought top 10 and a BCS bowl win, but I certainly thought being ranked and appearing in the BCS had a good chance of happening.

Reaction Score
I guess a loss would have made you happier. Of course this helps the league!

It helps UCF. The league will get some fleeting kudos, but I doubt it will lead to anything enduring.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So I went to bed on it and came to the conclusion that, really, our games against BYU and Boise are conference games too. If the American has to beat out other G5 teams to gain entry into a top bowl, then these are the types of teams that UCONN has to beat to get to where it wants to go. Essentially, any time we play a MWC, C-USA, MAC, or Sun Belt team, it's really an important G5 "conference" game. I still think it's critically important for OOC scheduling to be strong, but at least there is another motivation angle to playing some of these games over the years (aside from simply wanting to improve our record).

I hope we play UCF in late Nov/early Dec and it's 8 degrees with flurries. Nothing makes me smile more than watching a southern team come up north and try to act like the elements aren't completely with their heads, then go home with their tails between their legs.

Reaction Score
So I went to bed on it and came to the conclusion that, really, our games against BYU and Boise are conference games too. If the American has to beat out other G5 teams to gain entry into a top bowl, then these are the types of teams that UCONN has to beat to get to where it wants to go. Essentially, any time we play a MWC, C-USA, MAC, or Sun Belt team, it's really an important G5 "conference" game. I still think it's critically important for OOC scheduling to be strong, but at least there is another motivation angle to playing some of these games over the years (aside from simply wanting to improve our record).

I hope we play UCF in late Nov/early Dec and it's 8 degrees with flurries. Nothing makes me smile more than watching a southern team come up north and try to act like the elements aren't completely with their heads, then go home with their tails between their legs.

Hopefully Bortles heads off to the NFL too.

Reaction Score
Reverse it, if UCF had lost to Baylor the pundits would have been kicking the AAC to the curb. How they didn't deserve to be playing in this bowl. UCF win put that to rest. Great win for both UCF and the American. Should be a top ten in final poll.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
This win is great for UCF. Doesn't do much of anything for the 'Merican.[/

Agree. But it makes me feel a bit better about the 45 point pasting against UCF. But then I get queasy as maybe UCF is the new Louisville and will be joining Cincy out of the AAC, leaving us behind
- And for us AAC= Aboard Airplanes Contantly.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Bortles heads off to the NFL too.
Actually its better if he doesn't. It will make the American appear stronger with him in it. And he represents a good test for the other AAC teams. I like good football and great football better. Look at Vanderbilt in the SEC. They are happier playing the level of competition they play versus being in a league that they could dominate....and no I am not implying hte AAC here, however, if UConn football fans want to see us win against generally inferior competition, then I suggest watching CCSU. I am a firm believer that the stiffer your competition the better your program will be and the faster it will grow.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It's obvious on its face and it's also amazing that some on here don't get it.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Anybody who thinks this UCF win does nothing for the perception of the AAC is just looking to be argumentative. They already gave kudos on TV to the BE/AAC in BCS games. The tweets are out that we are tied with the Big 12 in BCS game wins.

Yeah....I wish UCF lost.:confused:

Who were those teams that won those 9 BCS titles and where are they now? If a coach was really dumb enough to use that as recruiting pitch I would ask that question.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Rooting or not rooting for a team means nothing. None of us are in those stands when the AAC teams are playing. It's also hypocritical to say that you root for your conference when in the same breath root against it as well. And don't tell me that you don't because I remember us 'rooting' for a Pitt victory to get us a share of the BE title knowing damn well WVU was the better team and probably would have brought an NC to the BE.

Reaction Score
Who were those teams that won those 9 BCS titles and where are they now? If a coach was really dumb enough to use that as recruiting pitch I would ask that question.

Who mentioned recruiting pitch? You're not even on point. The teams that won BCS bowl games, beat good teams and developed good programs and were chosen for CR.

Stop trying to be the king of contrarion views.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Who mentioned recruiting pitch? You're not even on point. The teams that won BCS bowl games, beat good teams and developed good programs and were chosen for CR.

Stop trying to be the king of contrarion views.

What's the point of mentioning 9 BCS bowl wins if you're not going to use it for recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom