Evan Daniels: UConn is Kentucky's main competition for Diallo | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Evan Daniels: UConn is Kentucky's main competition for Diallo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no issue with people being mean to Calipari... call him squid, harp on his vacated final fours, be critical of the farce program he runs...

But maybe don't get all hot and bothered by a compliment.

Forgive me for not agreeing with everything that UConn fans say simply because they are UConn fans.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The BY will kill Cal for literally anything he says:

Cal - "I was walking through the woods the other day and got mauled by a bear, losing several layers of flesh and having to be hospitalized"

BY - "Serves him right, what a pompous ass to think he could be walking through the woods alone without repercussions. Guy has no idea what his place on the food chain is, news flash, just because you're a bear on the recruiting trail doesn't mean you can handle a real one"
Too bad that is hypothetical situation...Squid mauling would make a lot of folks happy!

Reaction Score
Can't you just say what your point is? You say wanting great players instead of just good players says a lot about him. All coaches want that, so what does it specifically say about him?

Your comments are comedy. His system "works a little for him". Yes, normal rational humans would definitely classify Kentucky's success in the Calipari era as "little".

His point was Cal doesn't want players that he needs to mold, make better. He doesn't want "good" players who could become "great" players, he wants them great right out of the gate.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I don't think that's necessarily true. To be completely honest, if he goes to UK he's likely a one and done, because that's what him and the squid would agree on beforehand, whether he's ready for the league or not (hello James Young). If he goes to UConn, he is likely a 2 year player in my mind. Our guys simply aren't pushed towards the league like they are at UK and they don't generate the same pre-draft hype either, both affecting his stock after one year.
As a follow up, for the reason I quoted above, I believe Diallo to be a UK lean. He seems like the type of player who values draft status over the character of his coach or the legacy he will create in college. In addition, in my honest opinion, despite UConn having been on him the longest and him saying we were the leader in his recruitment in one interview, he has never really said much of anything overly positive about the program or Ollie, I think he has just been playing the field, and I dont blame him. Just my 2 cents, queue angry mob.

Reaction Score
He seems like the type of player who values draft status over the character of his coach or the legacy he will create in college.
what makes you say that? He has seemed a very prototypical hs kid in the few interviews I've seen. Answering terrible questions from terrible reporters with usual aplomb of a 16-17 yr old with no real indication of what he's really thinking

BUConn10

Reaction Score
what makes you say that? He has seemed a very prototypical hs kid in the few interviews I've seen. Answering terrible questions from terrible reporters with usual aplomb of a 16-17 yr old with no real indication of what he's really thinking
In all the footage and interviews I have seen of him, he has never really directly answered questions about UConn much, and he always seems to end his answers in an open ended manner implying that he doesnt want you to think that he is too into UConn. Again, this is completely my opinion on the issue and not fact.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The BY will kill Cal for literally anything he says:

Cal - "I was walking through the woods the other day and got mauled by a bear, losing several layers of flesh and having to be hospitalized"

BY - "Serves him right, what a pompous ass to think he could be walking through the woods alone without repercussions. Guy has no idea what his place on the food chain is, news flash, just because you're a bear on the recruiting trail doesn't mean you can handle a real one"

You left out the part about Cal stealing the bear's honey and trying to sell it back to him, a greasy smile from ear to ear.

You totally cherry picked that.

Reaction Score
In all the footage and interviews I have seen of him, he has never really directly answered questions about UConn much, and he always seems to end his answers in an open ended manner implying that he doesnt want you to think that he is too into UConn. Again, this is completely my opinion on the issue and not fact.
I understand, I was just curious. I think early on everyone considered him a uconn lock and he maybe made the extra effort to dispel that rumor in interviews. Or he really just didn't have anything good to say about us. Who knows? Gotta love recruiting...

Reaction Score
His point was Cal doesn't want players that he needs to mold, make better. He doesn't want "good" players who could become "great" players, he wants them great right out of the gate.
Again, every single coach wants this, so Calipari is like every other coach in this regard. I don't know what it says specifically about him.

In recruiting threads, people on this board say they want us to bring in the most talent possible, so I guess that says a lot about them...

Reaction Score
As a follow up, for the reason I quoted above, I believe Diallo to be a UK lean. He seems like the type of player who values draft status over the character of his coach or the legacy he will create in college. In addition, in my honest opinion, despite UConn having been on him the longest and him saying we were the leader in his recruitment in one interview, he has never really said much of anything overly positive about the program or Ollie, I think he has just been playing the field, and I dont blame him. Just my 2 cents, queue angry mob.
lol

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
despite UConn having been on him the longest and him saying we were the leader in his recruitment in one interview, he has never really said much of anything overly positive about the program or Ollie, I think he has just been playing the field, and I dont blame him.
In all the footage and interviews I have seen of him, he has never really directly answered questions about UConn much, and he always seems to end his answers in an open ended manner implying that he doesnt want you to think that he is too into UConn.

Or he just plays his cards close to his chest. Or he's not comfortable in front of an interviewer. Or he's an understated guy in general. Or he's diligently exploring all the possibilities available. Or he enjoys the recruitment process and wants to keep those options open. Or a million other reasons.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Again, every single coach wants this, so Calipari is like every other coach in this regard. I don't know what it says specifically about him.

In recruiting threads, people on this board say they want us to bring in the most talent possible, so I guess that says a lot about them...

"every" coach wants great players but few get great players. I was sure a couple Calipari apologists would come out swinging but hey good for them. As h4ever said why wouldn't Calipari want a "good" player like he saw in Kemba knowing he could be great if Cal could coach him? I mean I guess "great" is better but he's not always right about "great" now is he? Bemba proved that.

But hey having all great players has gotten him numerous titles thus far LOL

Reaction Score
"every" coach wants great players but few get great players. I was sure a couple Calipari apologists would come out swinging but hey good for them. As h4ever said why wouldn't Calipari want a "good" player like he saw in Kemba knowing he could be great if Cal could coach him? I mean I guess "great" is better but he's not always right about "great" now is he? Bemba proved that.

But hey having all great players has gotten him numerous titles thus far LOL
Ok, so like I said earlier in this thread, you're mad because Calipari is able to do something that every coach would like to do if they could.

Reaction Score
Ok, so like I said earlier in this thread, you're mad because Calipari is able to do something that every coach would like to do if they could.

Ok, you got it. I'm so "mad" I can't even sleep at night. You're on top of it once again, tried to sneak one by the Cal police :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Jerry Meyer: Recruiting analyst: It’s early, but UK basketball in good shape with several top 2017 prospects

Meyer also specifically mentioned Diallo, a 6-5 shooting guard who received his offer from Kentucky during a visit with Calipari on Wednesday night.

“I think he’s really intrigued with Kentucky and feels favorable about them,” he said. “I think it’ll probably come down to them or Connecticut.”

Atleast ratface isn't involved. I have to say this is giving off wenyen gabriel vibes, how staff was on gabriel well before he blew up at Nations, shot up to a top 25 player and we were left in the dust. Competing with kentucky can't make any one feel optimistic...

Reaction Score
Don't flatter yourself. It's just become a pattern that whenever someone makes a jab at Calipari on this board, you and another poster are always there to make some drawn out defense of the guy. You are like the guy on the Yankee's message board who butts in to defend the Red Sox manager in the OT thread when someone says something mean. Our programs are rivals and peers, and this is a message board, what are you expecting?
Yeah we don't want/need anyone disallowing this place being an echo-chamber of embarrassing, irrational childish hate.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Yeah we don't want/need anyone disallowing this place being an echo-chamber of embarrassing, irrational childish hate.
It's not about an echo chamber you idiots. It's that this is (a) a GD Internet message board for one thing, where that type of discussion occurs (b) we are UConn fans, and (c) he is the head coach at Kentucky, currently one of the top programs each year, a polarizing topic and a team we have beat for 2 titles in recent years. Trying to cry and get everyone to be nice to him is just as pathetic as the person seething with rage over a quote.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Or he just plays his cards close to his chest. Or he's not comfortable in front of an interviewer. Or he's an understated guy in general. Or he's diligently exploring all the possibilities available. Or he enjoys the recruitment process and wants to keep those options open. Or a million other reasons.

This. The way these kids think about the process is much different from how we fans do. For them, the reveal (whether it's live on ESPN or posting a picture/message on their social media) is a special moment for them. They want to announce their choice on their own terms and get some attention for it. Most importantly, they want it to happen on their own terms. It's very different from the "oh my gosh, we need our inside sources to tell us what the decision is ASAP!" a fan might say.

Reaction Score
It's not about an echo chamber you idiots. It's that this is (a) a GD Internet message board for one thing, where that type of discussion occurs (b) we are UConn fans, and (c) he is the head coach at Kentucky, currently one of the top programs each year, a polarizing topic and a team we have beat for 2 titles in recent years. Trying to cry and get everyone to be nice to him is just as pathetic as the person seething with rage over a quote.

Hey duck_stick, where in the Boneyard rules does it say that there has to be unanimity on every issue? That story about Walker was as innocuous as it gets. He was complimenting Kemba and sh_tting on himself. If those who are prone to hysterics want to turn it into another reason to seethe with rage knock yourself out. If someone else wants to say you sound dumb, that's cool too.

This is why I like the Boneyard. Three minutes ago I was getting teary-eyed making a donation to jleves's thing. Now I'm calling someone a duck__stick.

Reaction Score

Trying to disparage Calipari by saying he would rather have already great players than merely good players that he has to mold into great players is so incredibly bizarre that you have to wonder whether the people making it have just completely lost track of the point they were trying to make in the first place.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

I'll probably regret replying to this since this post reeks of trolling and baiting (specifically "queue angry mob")...

So either you love the baiting posts for attention, or you honestly think you can judge a kid's character from a few interviews?! How are you jumping to the conclusion that "He seems like the type of player who values draft status" more than other factors from a few quotes? You don't know the kid. And as others have posted... There's a myriad of other reasons why he comes off the way he does in interviews.

So again, either you're baiting and I fell for it, or you need to get a grip and stop judging the character of a high school teenager based on literally seconds of video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom