Evan Daniels: UConn is Kentucky's main competition for Diallo | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Evan Daniels: UConn is Kentucky's main competition for Diallo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not about an echo chamber you idiots. It's that this is (a) a GD Internet message board for one thing, where that type of discussion occurs (b) we are UConn fans, and (c) he is the head coach at Kentucky, currently one of the top programs each year, a polarizing topic and a team we have beat for 2 titles in recent years. Trying to cry and get everyone to be nice to him is just as pathetic as the person seething with rage over a quote.
Way to double down. And I/we are the idiots

Point and laugh everyone

Reaction Score
Not surprising, but good to see one of the major recruiting scouts confirm this.

Daniels specifically mentioned UConn as a possible early frontrunner for Diallo, who plays his high school ball less than 30 miles from that campus. Huskies Coach Kevin Ollie made him a major priority early in the recruiting process, and UConn’s coaches have been regular visitors to Diallo’s school.

But UK will ramp up its recruitment in the coming weeks, and Diallo isn’t expected to make a college decision any time soon.

UK firmly in the mix for top perimeter prospect in the class of 2017
He can either play at UCONN and leave after a year or go to Kentucky and leave after a year. For most of these kids, it is all about exposure. Kentucky will give him better exposure but he will be competing with 7 other High School All Americans for playing time. UCONN gives him the chance to play and contribute more.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'll probably regret replying to this since this post reeks of trolling and baiting (specifically "queue angry mob")...

So either you love the baiting posts for attention, or you honestly think you can judge a kid's character from a few interviews?! How are you jumping to the conclusion that "He seems like the type of player who values draft status" more than other factors from a few quotes? You don't know the kid. And as others have posted... There's a myriad of other reasons why he comes off the way he does in interviews.

So again, either you're baiting and I fell for it, or you need to get a grip and stop judging the character of a high school teenager based on literally seconds of video.
Like I said, I have no inside info on what I think, it's just how I perceive the scenario with the little info we have, just like you and everyone else here. You will call me an idiot for my opinion, but if the day comes when he commits to UK no one will say "oh I guess he was right", same thing happened with Gabriel when people expressed the idea that he may commit there despite how early we were on him. It doesn't take a genius to see that at this moment, Kentucky offers a player like him more opportunities than UConn does.

Reaction Score
Trying to disparage Calipari by saying he would rather have already great players than merely good players that he has to mold into great players is so incredibly bizarre that you have to wonder whether the people making it have just completely lost track of the point they were trying to make in the first place.

Not sure why you would call anyone a duck__stick. He has a different opinion than you on Cailpari and for some reason you and a couple others are apologists who do not seem to be in the majority, always come to the rescue. And you dare to call him bizzare? LOL

And I'm not sure who's smarter on this one the one who believes Calipari was actually putting himself down or the one who knows it was another Cal line of crap? I mean geez BU's fine on this one you don't have to hate the man to know he's a snake oil salesman, a talented one mind you who can close, but nonetheless most others know.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I understand what BU is trying to say but strongly disagree that UK offers more opportunities. - Different opportunities but not more.
At UConn he will definitely get more playing time - without question
At Kensucky he might get more exposure but if he plays less that doesn't do much good.
Neither team is in a barn burner league - the SEC is not P5 worthy in CBB
When you are a blue chip MCDs AA, you don't get your opportunity to play in the NBA because you played at UK - you got it because of talent and would probably bypass college and go to the league if you could.

The Squid is the greasiest lying POS ever to coach. He is not a good game coach and in my opinion, produces less with more than any coach in history.
I don't care if they are 1 and dones - anyone with 7 McDs EVERY year should produce a better return for the talent
And being undefeated in the SEC is not a feat
I look at their recent championship to ne like the Pickers, rent a Davis and rent a Melo

Reaction Score
And I'm not sure who's smarter on this one the one who believes Calipari was actually putting himself down or the one who knows it was another Cal line of crap?
Yes, on one hand you have a group of people who start with the premise that Calipari is an evil POS, and then work their way backward through convoluted logic to frame almost everything he does in a way that fits that original premise, who try to pretend Calipari has had "a little" success while at Kentucky, and who enjoy calling Kentucky "Kensucky".

On the other hand, you have people who can acknowledge they dislike many aspects of Calipari and his behavior, while still being thoughtful enough to grasp that his prior shadiness, his current success, and the system he uses to achieve that success cause people to hate on him for things that would never even be mentioned if done by another coach.

It's a toughie. Just really, really tough to figure out which of those two groups of people have more intelligence.

Reaction Score
Yes, on one hand you have a group of people who start with the premise that Calipari is an evil POS, and then work their way backward through convoluted logic to frame almost everything he does in a way that fits that original premise, who try to pretend Calipari has had "a little" success while at Kentucky, and who enjoy calling Kentucky "Kensucky".

On the other hand, you have people who can acknowledge they dislike many aspects of Calipari and his behavior, while still being thoughtful enough to grasp that his prior shadiness, his current success, and the system he uses to achieve that success cause people to hate on him for things that would never even be mentioned if done by another coach.

It's a toughie. Just really, really tough to figure out which of those two groups of people have more intelligence.

It's funny you believe you know 77-74. Unfortunately there is no winner here, although you are the most intelligent person to reply in any thread so congrats on the award you have given yourself as if there was one LOL. Someday we will all be as intelligent as you and have all the answers and in turn, be able to pat ourselves on the back in every thread.

By the way I have plenty of grasp on Cal and his shadiness and I have acknowledged how good he can recruit now. Heck if you 've read anything I've noted he was a much better coach when he had less at UMass but why would you remember that?

Just trying to figure out how what makes you so damn right about this subject. Ah who cares we should all move on.

Reaction Score
It's funny you believe you know 77-74. Unfortunately there is no winner here, although you are the most intelligent person to reply in any thread so congrats on the award you have given yourself as if there was one LOL. Someday we will all be as intelligent as you and have all the answers and in turn, be able to pat ourselves on the back in every thread.
Oh, there is an award and I'm excited about it. Even though I give it to myself, I still mail it out so it shows up back at my door. Just feels more legit that way, you know?

Reaction Score
Not sure why you would call anyone a duck__stick. He has a different opinion than you on Cailpari and for some reason you and a couple others are apologists who do not seem to be in the majority, always come to the rescue. And you dare to call him bizzare? LOL

And I'm not sure who's smarter on this one the one who believes Calipari was actually putting himself down or the one who knows it was another Cal line of crap? I mean geez BU's fine on this one you don't have to hate the man to know he's a snake oil salesman, a talented one mind you who can close, but nonetheless most others know.
Intelligence is classically defined as the ability to hold two conflicting views in mind and understand each for their own merits.

Some here are simply imcapable of that. It's "UK-evil-Calipari-evil-combined-worse than ISIS". It is pathetically black or white with a lot of psoters here.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I understand what BU is trying to say but strongly disagree that UK offers more opportunities. - Different opportunities but not more.
At UConn he will definitely get more playing time - without question
At Kensucky he might get more exposure but if he plays less that doesn't do much good.
Neither team is in a barn burner league - the SEC is not P5 worthy in CBB
When you are a blue chip MCDs AA, you don't get your opportunity to play in the NBA because you played at UK - you got it because of talent and would probably bypass college and go to the league if you could.

The Squid is the greasiest lying POS ever to coach. He is not a good game coach and in my opinion, produces less with more than any coach in history.
I don't care if they are 1 and dones - anyone with 7 McDs EVERY year should produce a better return for the talent
And being undefeated in the SEC is not a feat
I look at their recent championship to ne like the Pickers, rent a Davis and rent a Melo
How would he have less play time at UK? Their whole OAD system is predicated on guys leaving after one year, usually in groups of 4 or 5. If Cal has targeted him as his top SG target then he will most likely get him because he will be playing starter minutes there this year in a role similar to Jamal Murray this past season.

And yes your play is what primarily gets you drafted, but it's become clear that players who play at UK get way more draft talk than guys at other schools. Perception is often the reality, and right now the average joe watching sportscenter in the break room sees a special segment just for the latest UK commit, and to most casual viewers they assume each new commit they get will be a big time pick come draft time without knowing anything about the kid. And can you blame them? It seems like half the lottery is coming from one school each year now, and even their less hyped guys are excelling in the league (Devin Booker is looking like an all star and guys like Archie Goodwin that we all forgot about are showing lots of potential). Scouts and fans of NBA franchises see this and it makes spending a valuable draft pick on you easier, especially if the casual fans can get behind it (see how much trash Knicks organization got for taking a guy like Porzingis, despite him possibly being the best player in that draft when it's all said and done). Anyway, nothing would make me happier to see Diallo at UConn, I'm just saying based on his interviews and factors at play in this decision as an impartial non-fan of either schools, it'll be a tough get. It's purely a business decision at his level of recruitment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cal is shady now, has most definitely been dirty in the past and isn't the best x and o's guy. But the idea that we should hold it against him that he only wants great players and not good players is mind blowing - if I am understanding correctly.

And, for what it's worth, this is not the same as the Gabriel recruitment. We started going hard after Wenyen late winter, early spring of his junior year. PC was the one legit school in on him early. We have been on Hamidou since his other offers were Fairfield U quality, at least since his sophomore year.

caw

Reaction Score
Cal is shady now, has most definitely been dirty in the past and isn't the best x and o's guy. But the idea that we should hold it against him that he only wants great players and not good players is mind blowing - if I am understanding correctly.

And, for what it's worth, this is not the same as the Gabriel recruitment. We started going hard after Wenyen late winter, early spring of his junior year. PC was the one legit school in on him early. We have been on Hamidou since his other offers were Fairfield U quality, at least since his sophomore year.

Yep.

And honestly, I'm still not sold on Gabriel being as good as his ranking, at least as a freshman. He certainly has the upside, but I'm not sure he will be as good as UK needs him to be. He reminds me a lot of DeAndre Daniels, but not Junior year DD. Of course, I've been wrong before and I haven't seen Gabriel in person in awhile, so maybe he's progressed further. Hamidou is much further along at the same point in their careers, it's absolutely shocking Hamidou only got UK and Duke offers now.

Reaction Score
By the way for the record it was never really meant as Cal only wants great players (why wouldn't he?), it was more along the lines of "why not try to coach a good player into a great player" regarding the Kemba quote but the intelligent people needed to make their point somehow. It worked and this thread was screwed from that point on!

But it was so much fun:D

Reaction Score
Why can't we hate him as much as ISIS and call him a lying POS while still subtlely acknowledging he's done amazing things at UK and is the best recruiter ever?

I kid, I kid, but it is possible to hate someone's guts while acknowledging their skill. That's how I used to look at the Red Sox in the early-mid 2000s. I hated the duck out of them, but was also silently like "damn, they're good" whenever they played the Yanks.

As for Diallo, this doesn't shake my confidence in KO and the connections we've got between this kid and the program. For a lot of these kids, it's understandable for them to see getting the UK and Duke offers as legitimizing their greatness, while still not taking them seriously. I think about Malik Newman, who everybody thought was UK-bound, but decided on the hometown school that had been recruiting him longer (Probably not the best example because as far as we know he did take the UK offer seriously, but I can't think of a better one off the top of my head).

However, the playing time argument doesn't work here. Malik Monk had probably already filed the paperwork for the 2017 draft, and they've got no guards besides him, Fox, and Briscoe. Whoever UK lands, whether it be Diallo or someone like Gary Trent (who's probably Duke bound anyway) will be playing over 30 minutes a game automatically.

And I can definitely see the comparison between Daniels and Gabriel, in terms of ranking and development (NOT in their style). However, a player like that may not have 3 years to become a stud in UK's system. They could easily get lost in the shuffle of 2018 recruits, and so on. I do feel Gabriel is in danger of having this happen, but only time will tell.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How would he have less play time at UK? Their whole OAD system is predicated on guys leaving after one year, usually in groups of 4 or 5. If Cal has targeted him as his top SG target then he will most likely get him because he will be playing starter minutes there this year in a role similar to Jamal Murray this past season.

And yes your play is what primarily gets you drafted, but it's become clear that players who play at UK get way more draft talk than guys at other schools. Perception is often the reality, and right now the average joe watching sportscenter in the break room sees a special segment just for the latest UK commit, and to most casual viewers they assume each new commit they get will be a big time pick come draft time without knowing anything about the kid. And can you blame them? It seems like half the lottery is coming from one school each year now, and even their less hyped guys are excelling in the league (Devin Booker is looking like an all star and guys like Archie Goodwin that we all forgot about are showing lots of potential). Scouts and fans of NBA franchises see this and it makes spending a valuable draft pick on you easier, especially if the casual fans can get behind it (see how much trash Knicks organization got for taking a guy like Porzingis, despite him possibly being the best player in that draft when it's all said and done). Anyway, nothing would make me happier to see Diallo at UConn, I'm just saying based on his interviews and factors at play in this decision as an impartial non-fan of either schools, it'll be a tough get. It's purely a business decision at his level of recruitment.

See, if you put your argument like this the first time, while they may have disagreed, nobody would have had a problem with it. You made some good points.

It was the things like attempting to pigeonhole a kid's character, based on a couple of nondescript interviews, etc which was the bunk part of your posts before.

Reaction Score

This makes me laugh. Do better mau. Your posts on this topic are just as silly as the teenagers you're taking up for. Anyone who has the nerve to point out how ridiculous some of these Calipari hot takes are is immediately an "apologist" or "coming to the rescue" when the more accurate description would be "trying to inject a tiny bit of rationality" into this dumb topic. You and the clowns you're "coming to the rescue" of certainly do not accept that someone else has a different opinion on this topic - your boy referred to us as "idiots," I believe - so you're really going to lecture me?

As you would say, "LOL."

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I don't care what your measurement is or what you consider who maintains a certain level of "intelligence".
I am considered a highly intelligent person and love to call it Kensucky and am adamant that the Squid has underachieved with what he has had to work with.
You think what you want and others will do the same.
This is not an IQ test issue

BUConn10

Reaction Score
This makes me laugh. Do better mau. Your posts on this topic are just as silly as the teenagers you're taking up for. Anyone who has the nerve to point out how ridiculous some of these Calipari hot takes are is immediately an "apologist" or "coming to the rescue" when the more accurate description would be "trying to inject a tiny bit of rationality" into this dumb topic. You and the clowns you're "coming to the rescue" of certainly do not accept that someone else has a different opinion on this topic - your boy referred to us as "idiots," I believe - so you're really going to lecture me?

As you would say, "LOL."
God you are an insufferable . You bring little to no insight to this board, and your only contributions are saying you agree with someone else's already made point, or disagreeing and following up with a plethora of prefabricated insults. I can't recall the last time you actually presented an opinion of your own on an issue that wasn't centered around your criticism of someone else's words. I literally sigh when I see I have a reply from you, because it's always the same garbage.

I don't see what your problem is. You come in these threads looking to make someone look stupid. You know exactly what you will find in these threads, just read them and move on. It's not your civic duty to set everyone right on what they think. As for playing the victim card for being called an "idiot"? Give me a break, you had nearly a dozen veiled insults in that post alone. Every time you post here there is an insult embedded within your drivel.

Done with this thread, don't even know what we were talking about to begin with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

As you would say, "LOL."

What's funny is how "mature" you are with your attacks on people who dare to go against your puppy love for the man. What a freakin' hypocrite. I'll grow up when you do Crack! Too funny

It's a board for UConn fans, get over yourself.:rolleyes:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What's funny is how "mature" you are with your attacks on people who dare to go against your puppy love for the man. What a freakin' hypocrite. I'll grow up when you do Crack! Too funny

It's a board for UConn fans, get over yourself.:rolleyes:

Come on Mau, it's not "puppy love" anytime someone posts anything less extreme than "Calipari is ISIS", enough with the hyperbole. It's perfectly reasonable to note that certain people lose their whenever his name comes up, and it's just as reasonable to think they're ridiculous for doing so.

Reaction Score
Come on Mau, it's not "puppy love" anytime someone posts anything less extreme than "Calipari is ISIS", enough with the hyperbole. It's perfectly reasonable to note that certain people lose their whenever his name comes up, and it's just as reasonable to think they're ridiculous for doing so.

Lose their ""? Not sure what the hell that means either. It's okay for a UConn fan to not like Calipari, where are these d***heads when it's Boeheim? Sorry Stair, I give him his due he's a good recruiter at a great school to recruit and he's a good coach. For anyone to get their panties in a bunch for a UConn fan(s) to have some fun with their dislike of the POS who really would care, it's their board not the hayseeds. Unless you worship the man and we do have those. That's ok I'm good with that but don't put everyone else down for not being as "intelligent" or "mature" thats plain lame!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom