Done deal with Edsall | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Done deal with Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This move is a stopgap before we could sink to Kansas and Indiana (and Rutgers) level.
I honest to god think our public perception is already below those two. At least they have major conference perception boost. With ESPN having quotas on the word "P5" in its studio these days, most people just assume they are playing at a higher level regardless. The way it looks rehiring an old coach like this is just the cherry on top.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Prediction: The haters & naysayers will be back on the bandwagon within 18 months.

Reaction Score
Prediction: The haters & naysayers will be back on the bandwagon within 18 months.
I think 18 seconds. It's hard not to be disappointed and starting off disappointed does not bode well. Damn, they fumbled again at the 1 yard line. I just cannot get past the uncanny ability to do less than the best thing every friggin time. Going to do my best to be positive.

Reaction Score
I honest to god think our public perception is already below those two. At least they have major conference perception boost. With ESPN having quotas on the word "P5" in its studio these days, most people just assume they are playing at a higher level regardless. The way it looks rehiring an old coach like this is just the cherry on top.
Another season of Diaco with a horrible offense or another failed coach will do that. If Edsall succeeds, program is saved. And Edsall gets a statue.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Another season of Diaco with a horrible offense or another failed coach will do that. If Edsall succeeds, program is saved. And Edsall gets a statue.
Maybe, but with the cultural aspect of college football and recruiting territoriality our ceiling is low and made of marble. I'll be rooting for the team, one positive with Edsall I guess is that he's less likely to leave for another program??

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I hope you are right. I'm no hater of Randy, but I don't like this hire. I think the landscape has changed, and his ability to recruit at UConn will be much less than it was previously. UConn is in a less attractive, non-BCS conference now, and he is a less attractive coach than he was.

I like the he was pretty good (not great) at UConn before, but why are we ignoring what he did at Maryland? I don't care about the exit, I care about the lack of results. If this guy wasn't our former coach, and we didn't have a nostalgic connection to him, his resume would scream "run away". If his UConn results were at say, a MAC school, and then you add his Maryland results, we would not even consider hiring him.

With all that, I want you to be right. I want this team and Edsall, to exceed beyond my wildest expectations.

Reaction Score
He got cocky at UMD. We'll have to see if he was humbled and whether his being humbled benefits us.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but with the cultural aspect of college football and recruiting territoriality our ceiling is low and made of marble. I'll be rooting for the team, one positive with Edsall I guess is that he's less likely to leave for another program??
Edsall was able to recruit the "RKG" before. Have to see if he can still do that again. Plus, he has proven himself, so he actually might be able to recruit better now. He'll also have his ex-players to back him up in recruiting.

If he succeeds, I doubt he leaves.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I just keep thinking of Joe Gibbs' second coaching tenure as the Redskins coach. It didn't work out so well.

It's hard to recreate the magic.
As a 'Skin's fan, I brought up Joe Gibbs yesterday, but in reality, he returned to a completely different set up than that of his 1981-93 tenure (i.e. salary cap). You have "Redding" in your handle (PA?) and a Cubs avatar, so I can only assume you do not regularly listen to WEEI out of Boston.

Christian Fauria is on the midday show and was a tight end for Seattle, New England (SB ring), and Washington (during Gibbs 2.0). He repeatedly refers to his time in D.C. as barely controlled chaos where the game had completely passed Gibbs by and he was far more engaged in his NASCAR teams than he should have.

It is true that UConn's membership in the G5 AAC vs the BCS level Big East is an unignorable wrinkle, but when UConn turned the corner in Edsall's 4th year, it was with mostly 1-AA players, let alone lower level FBS talent.

Reaction Score
Hey my friends, man full circle. I will leave comments regarding the hire alone, just passing some info. There are 7 players who will be leaving Maryland this winter due to not aligning with the future vision. Those 7 were all RE recruits. As it stands now, a DL, TE, 2 LB, QB, Safety, DE. All of them except for the QB have game experience and decent talent, maybe not BIG East talent but good talent. I would imagine you may start to hear some names pop up. Good luck moving forward.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Hey my friends, man full circle. I will leave comments regarding the hire alone, just passing some info. There are 7 players who will be leaving Maryland this winter due to not aligning with the future vision. Those 7 were all RE recruits. As it stands now, a DL, TE, 2 LB, QB, Safety, DE. All of them except for the QB have game experience and decent talent, maybe not BIG East talent but good talent. I would imagine you may start to hear some names pop up. Good luck moving forward.

Good info. Does the Qb have any potential? Any of those graduate transfers who can play this upcoming year?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
How many plays can Edsall get off on the goal line, with 17 seconds left, against Navy?

If the answer is 3, I'm ok with this hire.

Two, but we score on the second.

One thing about HCRE, he won close games.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Sounds good. Someone start clearing some locker space.

Reaction Score

Can you provide names? Make it easier to check out

Reaction Score
He shouldn't name names unless its in the news as public info. This is a pretty big nugget as is.

Misread, thought they already announced their intentions to transfer.

Reaction Score
randy_web-splash-2.jpg

Honestly, not sure how to feel about this. How hard were they looking for a replacement all this time to just go back to a retread?
Bugs. You and I go way way back. This is a home run imho. Will stabilize the patient first and get this program off life support

Reaction Score
Names are not public, but I believe the TE and DE graduated this fall. The others would probably have to sit. QB has a good arm, just did not fit the new OC system. Also, we are expecting another 2-4 leaving in the spring as they graduate so I would think you may have a busy off season.

Reaction Score
Bugs. You and I go way way back. This is a home run imho. Will stabilize the patient first and get this program off life support

Agree about stabilizing the patient first. I think it's a safety pick, Skib. Not a bad pick, but a safe pick. Edsall proved to be a program builder here, and that experience must be what DB was looking for in a HC. But we already know what Edsall brings to the table. Will that be enough to get us out of the abyss again? I hope so.

Reaction Score
How many plays can Edsall get off on the goal line, with 17 seconds left, against Navy?

If the answer is 3, I'm ok with this hire.

If any one thing was the beginning of the end for Bobby Disco Pants, it was that mega-flub.

Reaction Score
Standard Boneyard joke. Lighten up a little -- our coaching situation is light years ahead of where it was on Christmas, and where we thought we would be at the end of the season. Let's see if he can get back to the level he was at and then we can start complaining that anyone can do better and he's hit his cieling again.

That's it I can't take it anymore @businesslawyer

It is i before e except after c. How is your spell check not picking up cieling? It's ceiling damn it.
At least 4 times now!! Head bang ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak