Done deal with Edsall | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Done deal with Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Why the rush with this decision??? There was time to at least kick the tires with better candidates. I was looking forward to buying season tickets too...... So much for that....

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
With the supposed buyout details in RE contract, are there any thoughts that he's just a placeholder to get the program back to a modicum of respectability and then go after a big name?
I hope not....people here were just talking about not changing coaches every three or four years. I am confident this man can be successful here again and look forward to him being here for a long time. Forgive and remember the good times....they will be back.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not sure I'm excited about this hire, but as others have stated and I beleive it is true, UConn is not that attractive as many of us think.

Randy proved he could get raw recruits and coach them up. We haven't seen that in the last few years. A lot is going to depend of who we see as the OC and DC and the coaches that will be under these two. I would hope that we get a mix of air it out and some smash mouth on the offense. Defense should return to a very good level.

If this hire gets us to 8 - 4, 7 - 5 on a regular basis I won't complain. It s a lot better than we have seen in the last 6 years.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
PP was a dumb hire. All Randy has to do is win, which he's proven he can. May polarize some of you BY's, but we all want to see the ship righted. He's not going to polarize the fan base.

'He's not going to polarize the fan base'
  • Look around here and social media at the reaction of the hire -- if you don't think the fan base is polarized by the hire, then you're out of your mind. Edsall specifically had to make amends for his previous exit on his announcement. That tells you the fan base is indeed polarized on his hire and he has work to do to earn back the trust of the fans.

'All Randy has to do is win, which he's proven he can'
  • Edsall was 74-70 at UConn and 22-26 in the Big East -- a Big East which never had Miami/Virginia Tech or other football powerhouses. While I think we'd all be okay with just above a .500 record NEXT SEASON... that shouldn't be a long term aspiration for our football program, we needed to reach higher.
  • Edsall had 1 (ONE) win versus a ranked team in his tenure here from 99-10. Diaco had just as many ranked wins in just 3 seasons -- and you could argue that the football schedule is tougher in the American now than Edsall had to deal with in the old Big East (UL and USF were only 'good' teams some years).

This hire screams average and reeks of desperation.

Last edited:

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Terrible. Boring, "safe" retread hire that looks totally small time and condemns this program to another defensive coach completely uninterested in modern explosive offense. This does nothing to excite or grow the fanbase.

Major opportunity squandered by Benedict.

100% agree.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I hope not....people here were just talking about not changing coaches every three or four years. I am confident this man can be successful here again and look forward to him being here for a long time. Forgive and remember the good times....they will be back.

Or, a pseudo placeholder for 3-4 years until a young talented OC or DC is ready to take the reins?

Reaction Score
randy_web-splash-2.jpg

Honestly, not sure how to feel about this. How hard were they looking for a replacement all this time to just go back to a retread?

Reaction Score
If its a donor driven choice, then you see where Uconn is financially. they had no choice and DB nor SH could possibly argue that RE is not an improvement over BD. so the donors had all the leverage. It is what it is. I highly doubt DB's dream hire is Randy Edsall.

Here's the thing for me...I appreciated the fact that RE built his teams from the lines out, knew that Uconn would never have a great passing game given the climate and ......

Please stop with the climate nonsense. We play most of our games in warm weather. We start at home in the summer and we travel south to play most of the AAC. Somehow Brady and Manning and Rodgers can throw the ball after we are done playing.

Reaction Score
Please stop with the climate nonsense. We play most of our games in warm weather. We start at home in the summer and we travel south to play most of the AAC. Somehow Brady and Manning and Rodgers can throw the ball after we are done playing.

Reaction Score

I have very mixed feelings. I thought the way Edsall left the program was disgraceful, both because of how he handled letting the team know and the state he left the team in for the future. However, now he is our coach again and I fully support him and hope he and and the team are very successful. I have a feeling that this team needs to get away from the style of coaching of "trophies for participation" and may do better with Edsall's more traditional and disciplined way of coaching football.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This really only confirms one thing for me, UConn and successful football just are never going to happen.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
This really only confirms one thing for me, UConn and successful football just are never going to happen.
Can you define successful UConn FB?

Beating Notre Dame on the road?
Beating an SEC school in a bowl?
Winning majority of your home games?

IMG_1831.PNG

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I just keep thinking of Joe Gibbs' second coaching tenure as the Redskins coach. It didn't work out so well.

It's hard to recreate the magic.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Can you define successful UConn FB?
Anything resembling respect from a national perspective of the sport. Something that may be targeted as a program with potential worth expanding a football centric conference for.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Anything resembling respect from a national perspective of the sport. Something that may be targeted as a program with potential worth expanding a football centric conference for.
Very abstract and hard to measure.

I thought that's where we were in 2009/2010?

Sniffing top 25 in polls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99