Done deal with Edsall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Done deal with Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Btw, will Randy take a cue with another hard in Coughlin who softened up in the later years?

Despite what many think, I didn't follow him closely enough at Maryland to understand what went wrong and what, if anything, he might have learned from it. We will have to see.

As I've made clear, this is not where I would have gone. But two thoughts:

1. Many on our wish list may have simply been unobtainable for us. See, e.g., Miles, Morehead, Fleck and even possibly Schiano. It may have been that the alternatives Benedict had to Edsall were coordinators never proven as a head coach and Houston, and while I might have gone for Houston the truth is I know nothing about him beyond what he accomplished at JMU and have no idea if that really would have worked.

2. Before DB gets trashed, he might not have had a choice here, other than keeping Diaco. As someone said on the 26th, the money to buy out HCBD might have been "pro Edsall" money. And I have zero doubt that if the choice was Diacco or Edsall he made the right choice. Our program could not have taken another year of Diacco.

Reaction Score
I'd assume this time around, Edsall would not handcuff the OC. Whatever.

Reaction Score
People are going to hate Edsall.

WHen he took UConn to the Fiesta bowl, people wanted him fired because "we couldn't do any worse"

I think you're underestimating Boneyarders SDH. We've had plenty of posts the last 6 years saying "Boy, I was wrong when I thought anyone could do at least the job Edsall did."

Or not. LMFAO.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
If true, this makes us look desperate (which we are).

It's like we could only get one girl to go with us to the junior prom, and then (a year later) she's the only one who will go with us to the senior prom.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So, Burton really did sign the check "Must hire Edsall" well it's better than BD. Is he a long term solution? Doubt it. Is he good for the next 4 years? Absolutely he's proven he knows how to coach.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this at all. I am frigging tired of this dismissive attitude. This conference has great football ... and it pays really damn well. We could get a solid hot coach. But fit? I am weighing the Les Miles v Randy equation. In the near term, no Miles is going to know the equation to get us far better quicker than Edsall. And then in 3 years, you have a 67 year old Miles. Or a Coordinator that you don't know if they can coach. Without a Wilder or Houston or MAC guy, none without risk, this has some path to success.

Not my favourite path. Far better than 2017 Diaco
I'm saying that we're garbage because we're 24-49 in the last 6 years. You could do a lot worse than the job itself, but on the field we've been horrible.

The idea that we could have a "solid hot coach" probably isn't realistic. I'm sure DB explored his options.

Reaction Score
The Fiesta Bowl thing is really an anomaly and a joke

The league was awful, it was guaranteed a spot. The national media thought it was a joke and that UConn was too. UConn got embarrassed 48-20 and confirmed their assumptions

In that same year UConn lost to 'Ville 27-0, Mich 30-10 and Temple 30-16

Edsall leveraged that to get his "dream job" and was a total ah*le when he left, especially to his players

People are going to hate Edsall.

WHen he took UConn to the Fiesta bowl, people wanted him fired because "we couldn't do any worse"

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
As someone said on the 26th, the money to buy out HCBD might have been "pro Edsall" money. And I have zero doubt that if the choice was Diacco or Edsall he made the right choice. Our program could not have taken another year of Diacco.

This should be the end to all discussion on the boneyard.

But I don't think it will.

Reaction Score
If true, this makes us look desperate (which we are).

It's like we could only get one girl to go with us to the junior prom, and then (a year later) she's the only one who will go with us to the senior prom.

Why shouldn't that be? We were far more appealing during the Jr. Prom, dancing with Edsall, than we became our senior year dating only total losers.

Reaction Score
get Diaco and when the buyout drops to $1.7M next year make the move and hire a more dynamic coach the fans can get excited about. This move is zero sum at this point

So, Burton really did sign the check "Must hire Edsall" well it's better than BD. Is he a long term solution? Doubt it. Is he good for the next 4 years? Absolutely he's proven he knows how to coach.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The Fiesta Bowl thing is really an anomaly and a joke

Fun fact - UConn had more NFL players drafter on the field than OK.

Weird, eh?

HCRE won the BE twice in his final 5 or so seasons.

I think RE2.0 can do better in the AAC

Reaction Score
Seems like Caldwell addressing him being in mix rather than a hire.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Does any else feel the sudden compulsion to get a blackberry and a buzz cut? The 00
Despite what many think, I didn't follow him closely enough at Maryland to understand what went wrong and what, if anything, he might have learned from it. We will have to see.

As I've made clear, this is not where I would have gone. But two thoughts:

1. Many on our wish list may have simply been unobtainable for us. See, e.g., Miles, Morehead, Fleck and even possibly Schiano. It may have been that the alternatives Benedict had to Edsall were coordinators never proven as a head coach and Houston, and while I might have gone for Houston the truth is I know nothing about him beyond what he accomplished at JMU and have no idea if that really would have worked.

2. Before DB gets trashed, he might not have had a choice here, other than keeping Diaco. As someone said on the 26th, the money to buy out HCBD might have been "pro Edsall" money. And I have zero doubt that if the choice was Diacco or Edsall he made the right choice. Our program could not have taken another year of Diacco.

Bingo - bingo - bingo. Miles, Moorhead, Fleck, Schiano would have passed unless we dumped a truckload of cash and even then, doubtful. We are not an attractive place to be at this juncture for any HC unless you are an untested coordinator or a sub MAC HC (yes, that's right, MAC coaches would pass on us). My fear with a guy like Houston is that he's going to have two good years and than takes his dream job at NC State or some equivalent.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Geezzus......instead of ...here's a check...go find the best coach you can get here that will get us an AAC Championship and Playoff birth, it's....here's a check..I want my buddy back.

I need to win powerball more than ever now.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
For those saying Edsall is a 'safe' hire... that's not the case and here's why:

1. This hire polarizes the fan base
  2. Edsall is not a 'safe' hire if he hasn't coached in over a year. Let's remember he was fired and NOT picked up by another school/opportunity, which is why he landed with a low-level job on the Lions. It's a fair question to ask if he can still recruit and coach.
  3. People called PP a 'safe' hire -- how did that work out?
Chatting with a few alumni from my class who were around when Edsall was, I was expecting a mixed bag of support for him (like on this board). But, I'm surprised to hear none are in favor of the hire, including myself.

I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. At the very least, he needs to immediately make a statement to make amends for his rough exit.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this at all. I am frigging tired of this dismissive attitude. This conference has great football ... and it pays really damn well. We could get a solid hot coach. But fit? I am weighing the Les Miles v Randy equation. In the near term, no Miles is going to know the equation to get us far better quicker than Edsall. And then in 3 years, you have a 67 year old Miles. Or a Coordinator that you don't know if they can coach. Without a Wilder or Houston or MAC guy, none without risk, this has some path to success.

Not my favourite path. Far better than 2017 Diaco

Why are you so insistent that Miles would even take a phone call from Benedict?? He wouldn't. In fact, he would probably hit the ignore button. UConn is NOWHERE near Miles radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom