Diaco did not inherit a complete disaster. Quite the opposite. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Diaco did not inherit a complete disaster. Quite the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And how many superbowls do the Patriots win with Garofolo at quarterback? That really is irrelevant to the argument. At least going into camp he had Cochran as his quarterback but he really wasn't impressed. He pulled him in the first drive inside the red zone because Whitmer threw a better intermediate ball he claimed. He played 50 plus guys in that game. He made s decision to scrap everything and start over. That is a legitimate approach but it wasn't the only approach he could have taken. And it isn't guaranteed to succeed either. It might and I hope it does but the jury is out.

I'm not defending Diaco. I'm just suggesting that if CC was never on the team, we would have finished 0-12. Then the magical 3 game winning streak won't be used for the next 20 years as a benchmark to compare all future coaches to.

Reaction Score
Notice you post is fact free. What did I say that isn't true?
Let's start with the fact that Diaco didn't inherit the 2013 team. He inherited the 2014 team. College has this unavoidable phenomenon called "turnover". It causes players to "graduate" or "transfer" or otherwise finish their college career elsewhere.

So basically your entire premise is untrue, but thanks for always being you.

Reaction Score
The players are playing harder and with spirit and they look like they have spent the time in the weight room and on conditioning. They make me proud the way they play. Things are on the upswing there"s no doubt but I do not believe that today we have the depth of talent necessary to compete on a consistent basis with the Top 40-50 programs. Yes, in a singke game yes but not over an entire season. Don"t think we have enough athletes certainly not playmakers who can make plays consustently just from physical attributes. I do believevthat our schedule is very tough given our lack of depth. Why did our D look so much better against Mizzou than Cincy, I think a large factor was that Mizzou was early in the season. We will get back to where we belong but let"s not pretend HCBD inherited a bowl team. Personally, I have no problem with tearing things down to rebuild but there wasn"t much to tear down in my opinion.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I thought I accidently clicked on the Onion... Next article is how the Diaco era peaked with a 2-0 start in 2015....

Reaction Score
I thought I accidently clicked on the Onion... Next article is how the Diaco era peaked with a 2-0 start in 2015....
Didn't he? Since then he's 1-5... He clearly has to go!

Reaction Score
So Diaco ran them off. The majority of them didn't graduate or get hurt. Would you kindly name names of the kids that Diaco ran off and tell us how many wins those kids cost is last year? I'm curious how valuable Tyree Clark was. 2 wins? Maybe 3?
Did I say the majority?

Reaction Score
Let's start with the fact that Diaco didn't inherit the 2013 team. He inherited the 2014 team. College has this unavoidable phenomenon called "turnover". It causes players to "graduate" or "transfer" or otherwise finish their college career elsewhere.

So basically your entire premise is untrue, but thanks for always being you.
Duh. That's true of every team. So what? He inherited a team on the uptick. It is simply a fact. In fact, read my initial post

"I'm not saying this was a team that could compete for a championship in year one. But it was a solid squad with a star receiver and a decent defense."

My point, which you miss, is that the team he inherited was capable of much more. It could have won more games. Diaco decided to tear it down to the foundation and rebuild. The 2-10 is on him not that team.

Not really that hard to understand. Very easy position to support.

Reaction Score
The reason the d looked good against Mizzou is that Missouri's offense stinks. Worse than ours I think. They have been held under 10 four times this season. Last 4 games they scored 3,10,6 and3 points. Giving up 9 looked better than it really was. Had zero to do with where we were in the season.

Reaction Score
It is almost impossible to argue the talent of the team Diaco inherited vs what P inherited. Scheme, coaching and confidence have an awful lot to do with it. Todman was our offense and P didn't have him to work with. He still won 5 games.

TJ played Casey and he quickly proved to be our best QB in years. The OL improved almost overnight and we closed the year strong.
The teams we beat had bad seasons but Memphis was pretty good the following year and Rutgers was mediocre, if I remember right. P would have lost those games because he had lost the team entirely.

Diaco came in to evaluate and tear everything down. However, he also made horrible coaching decisions and his staff is still pretty lost today when on the field. I like Diaco and I hope he can learn on the job with the players and become a good game day coach. He is clearly good at running a program, respecting the fans and recruiting.

Still, I can't help but think that people that feel TJ wouldn't have done much better last year aren't being honest with themselves. Yes he had less talent than the year before due to matriculation, but he also would have had time to prepare and set things straight. He fixed a lot in a few weeks and I think it is probably best to say nothing at all than to argue that he wouldn't have done well. He earned a lot of respect and it is only fair to let his work speak for itself and leave it at that. I have no reason to believe he wouldn't have succeeded as our coach yet I have a handful of reasons to believe he would have. We'll never know. If I were TJ reading this board, I'd think you guys poo pooping my work were delusional after I closed the season with 3 straight wins and played Casey after he had been 3rd string under P. He did everything a miracle worker would have been able to do in the short time allotted. I like to let that be his legacy here, he is a great guy. We may see him here again someday.

Reaction Score
Duh. That's true of every team. So what? He inherited a team on the uptick. It is simply a fact. In fact, read my initial post

"I'm not saying this was a team that could compete for a championship in year one. But it was a solid squad with a star receiver and a decent defense."

My point, which you miss, is that the team he inherited was capable of much more. It could have won more games. Diaco decided to tear it down to the foundation and rebuild. The 2-10 is on him not that team.

Not really that hard to understand. Very easy position to support.

Said this way, you are right. That might have been a 3 or 4 win team. And he underperformed going 2-10. I think pretty much all of us agree with that. Especially given that it looked like he wasn't trying to win games. But we spent all of last year beating this to death. Why do you keep having to go back to the well?

Reaction Score
Did I say the majority?

No, but I asked you to name names and assign a measurable value to those players that Diaco ran off. I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt that Diaco did in fact run them off, even though you likely have no facts to support that.

Reaction Score
Said this way, you are right. That might have been a 3 or 4 win team. And he underperformed going 2-10. I think pretty much all of us agree with that. Especially given that it looked like he wasn't trying to win games. But we spent all of last year beating this to death. Why do you keep having to go back to the well?

Nobody was harder on Diaco than I was last year. I thought he did a miserable job. This year he's better, but not by a lot. He still makes some head scratching in game decisions but at least I don't want to cut my wrists every time he talks now. And he's clearly trying to win games. Very curious to see how these last 5 games play out. If the team quits like they did last year I'll be honest, it'll be VERY difficult for me to come back next year.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Maybe someone can make a valid case that last year's team had 2 or 3 more wins in them if there hadn't been a tear down. Fine. Who cares? Is a 5 win season gotten by slightly overachieving and luck better than a 2-3 win season? Does it make a difference? In a one year window, no.

This is a multi-year evaluation. I wish this year's team had 2 or 3 more wins, realizing some more of their potential so we'd be talking about bowl eligibility, but even if that were the case it'd be false gold - we still wouldn't be as good/deep of a team as that record would indicate.

Reaction Score
Maybe someone can make a valid case that last year's team had 2 or 3 more wins in them if there hadn't been a tear down. Fine. Who cares? Is a 5 win season gotten by slightly overachieving and luck better than a 2-3 win season? Does it make a difference? In a one year window, no.

This is a multi-year evaluation. I wish this year's team had 2 or 3 more wins, realizing some more of their potential so we'd be talking about bowl eligibility, but even if that were the case it'd be false gold - we still wouldn't be as good/deep of a team as that record would indicate.

Exactly. Like J$ said, we beat this horse to death twice last year.

Reaction Score
No, but I asked you to name names and assign a measurable value to those players that Diaco ran off. I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt that Diaco did in fact run them off, even though you likely have no facts to support that.
14 scholarship players who were on the roster for the 2013 finale against Memphis and had eligibility remaining left including Jeff Asirui whose dad said Diaco ran him off. To be fair, which I always am, Diaco denies the Ashiru.

Those numbers and that statement are irrefutable true.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
...and how many wins would those 14 have produced (not named Casey Cochrane).

Everyone's right - this is the dumbest post in Boneyard history. I'm trying to figure out what your deal is, Palatine. Were you the one who came up with #uptick, and want to cement it for all eternity? I can't fathom why this is so hard for you to admit you're wrong...

Reaction Score
It is almost impossible to argue the talent of the team Diaco inherited vs what P inherited. Scheme, coaching and confidence have an awful lot to do with it. Todman was our offense and P didn't have him to work with. He still won 5 games.

TJ played Casey and he quickly proved to be our best QB in years. The OL improved almost overnight and we closed the year strong.
The teams we beat had bad seasons but Memphis was pretty good the following year and Rutgers was mediocre, if I remember right. P would have lost those games because he had lost the team entirely.

Diaco came in to evaluate and tear everything down. However, he also made horrible coaching decisions and his staff is still pretty lost today when on the field. I like Diaco and I hope he can learn on the job with the players and become a good game day coach. He is clearly good at running a program, respecting the fans and recruiting.

Still, I can't help but think that people that feel TJ wouldn't have done much better last year aren't being honest with themselves. Yes he had less talent than the year before due to matriculation, but he also would have had time to prepare and set things straight. He fixed a lot in a few weeks and I think it is probably best to say nothing at all than to argue that he wouldn't have done well. He earned a lot of respect and it is only fair to let his work speak for itself and leave it at that. I have no reason to believe he wouldn't have succeeded as our coach yet I have a handful of reasons to believe he would have. We'll never know. If I were TJ reading this board, I'd think you guys poo pooping my work were delusional after I closed the season with 3 straight wins and played Casey after he had been 3rd string under P. He did everything a miracle worker would have been able to do in the short time allotted. I like to let that be his legacy here, he is a great guy. We may see him here again someday.

Would we likely have exceeded 2-10 last year if TJ stayed? Absolutely yes. Would TJ have been up to the task of not just coaching someone else's recruits on game day but managing a college football program? I have no idea. What I do know is that the market didn't jump all over him with offers to do so when he left. Isn't that likely to be evidence of at least what a few score of college AD's thought?

Reaction Score

TJ played Casey after the other QB's failed. Let's not go crazy and act like he knew what he had in Casey when P didn't.

Bottom line is his resume beyond being a position coach is 4 games as an offensive coordinator of a terrible offense, and a 3-5 record as an interim coach, with the 3 wins against bad teams. I'm not trying to be critical of him, being an offensive coordinator under P, and then taking over an 0-4 team is a really tough situation. He might be capable of being a good head coach, I have no idea. But there's a reason he wasn't really seriously considered here, and that he hasn't jumped right into a head coaching job anywhere else.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree with Palatine to a point. There is no excuse for how bad UConn was last year, and there is no excuse for the litany of brain cramps that Diaco has in games. Stop blaming the players, we are not playing Alabama and LSU, we are losing to USF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom