Diaco did not inherit a complete disaster. Quite the opposite. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Diaco did not inherit a complete disaster. Quite the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with Palatine to a point. There is no excuse for how bad UConn was last year, and there is no excuse for the litany of brain cramps that Diaco has in games. Stop blaming the players, we are not playing Alabama and LSU, we are losing to USF.

I agree with the second sentence. But what reason do you have to think our players are better than USF's?

Reaction Score
I don't think they are necessarily. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have won that game, however.

Eh, it's tough to say we should've won a game in which we gave up a million yards in the 2nd half. Squandered opportunities aside, we're not going to win many games doing that.

Reaction Score
...and how many wins would those 14 have produced (not named Casey Cochrane).

Everyone's right - this is the dumbest post in Boneyard history. I'm trying to figure out what your deal is, Palatine. Were you the one who came up with #uptick, and want to cement it for all eternity? I can't fathom why this is so hard for you to admit you're wrong...
Because the evidence says I'm right. That was not a 2-10 team.. And the people throwing the players under the bus are wrong.

I'm still giving Diaco the benefit of the doubt. I'm just saying he brought 2-10 on himself. And he did, and anyone who followed his own statements knows he did.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There's a profound difference between "throwing the players under the bus" and "not tarring and feathering the coaching staff".

Reaction Score
Because the evidence says I'm right. That was not a 2-10 team.. And the people throwing the players under the bus are wrong.

I'm still giving Diaco the benefit of the doubt. I'm just saying he brought 2-10 on himself. And he did, and anyone who followed his own statements knows he did.

He took over a 3-9 team that lost a ton of starters and reserves who played a lot, including the QB who kept that 3-9 team from being 0-12. Don't see how it wasn't a 2-10 team.

Reaction Score
15 years from now when Diaco is a legend and UCONN is winning the B1G East regularly, you will all look back on this and chuckle.

Reaction Score
15 years from now when Diaco is a legend and UCONN is winning the B1G East regularly, you will all look back on this and chuckle.
I pray you're right in five years not 15.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Your lips to (Football) God's ears.

Reaction Score
It's astounding how quickly Casey got his throws off vs. Memphis. Really amazing, he played out of his mind.

Reaction Score

Right. But it was a 3 or 4 win team. So not sure what your point is. We weren't going to a bowl no matter what. And we had this discussion ALL of last season. So what's new?

If your point is only that Diaco could have won more than 2 games had he coached differently, virtually everyone agrees on that. So you are just stirring things up why? To amuse yourself?

Reaction Score
Further, if he inherited a 3/4 win team, that isn't a disaster?

Or if it isn't a disaster, it certainly isn't the "opposite" of a disaster.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Apparently there is some sort of nebulous moral high-ground to be claimed by believing that "they sucked because Diaco made them suck" while those of less superior character "blame the kids' or 'throw the players under the bus'. The whole line of thought is a lame effort at self gratification. For starters, football fans judge football teams -- it's what they do. If you think it's disrespectful to the players to call UConn '14 a bad team, maybe you should be watching no-score tee-ball. A bad team is a bad team and, as was the case the case last year at UConn, those most deserving of 'blame' (JH, PP, GDL) are often long gone when you get to that point. I mean sure, gold stars to everybody in '13 for raising their season average from an F to F+ with that three-game stretch run. Perception is subjective, but I'm not calling that an up-tick and I'm not apologizing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't usually defend pal but in this case he is correct. 2-10 and awful was on Diaco. He made a decision to basically blow off the season in order to build long term. That might have been a good decision or it might be bad. We'll see. It's almost impossible to say whether a different coach or different approach would have resulted in a better or worse record. I think there were 4 winnable games at least. Maybe 5. Not guaranteed of course but possible. With a bit of momentum maybe we win another couple. So yes, 2-10 is absolutely on Diaco. Whether that was a sound decision of not is still up in the air I think. But here's the thing, if Diaco is not the guy it doesn't matter except that we are in a worse place than need be but not by much.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
There's really not many facts in dispute in this thread, if any. It's just a question of how you want to see things. Diaco deciding to do a demolition before his rebuild is not something I'm willing to consider a fault, egregious or otherwise. It's what is commonly done when someone gets hired for a rebuilding job. Maybe he denied us the glory of a 4 or 5 win season, I have my doubts personally, but I'll admit it's feasible. Four or 5 win seasons is not what I'm hoping for. He'll either get the corner turned in the next two years or he won't. I'm still betting he will. Either way, there won't be many still talking about what could have been in '14 .

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Ohhhhhhh I have a feeling somebody will be talking about '14 and '15.
Fair enough, I'm really talking about myself I guess. Win 10 games in '16 and I won't even talk about 2010 anymore...

Reaction Score
No, once again a complete misunderstanding (or perhaps intention misunderstanding) of my post.

Diaco inherited a team that showed a lot of character. That dug itself out of a hole. That showed promise and effectiveness on offense. And was headed in the right direction after the Pasqualoni debacle.

And the people who describe the situation that Diaco inherited as a complete disaster are just flat wrong.

Chandler Whitmer's chiropractor loved the 2014 team, especially the O line.
Rumor has it he bought a brand new Tesla that year!

image.jpg

Reaction Score
Duh. That's true of every team. So what? He inherited a team on the uptick. It is simply a fact. In fact, read my initial post

"I'm not saying this was a team that could compete for a championship in year one. But it was a solid squad with a star receiver and a decent defense."

My point, which you miss, is that the team he inherited was capable of much more. It could have won more games. Diaco decided to tear it down to the foundation and rebuild. The 2-10 is on him not that team.

Not really that hard to understand. Very easy position to support.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/1415-mtt.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/1314-mtt.html

The 2-10 record is on him AND that team. He basically admitted he wasn't trying to win games last year, and it has taken me till about this point in the season for him to win back my support.

But it's a moronic argument to say he inherited the same team. The only "simple fact" is that the roster changed for numerous reasons, and the biggest impact was on the OL and at QB, and those two things dictated everything we were (un)able to do on offense.

Reaction Score
Just the title of this thread alone puts the OP in a class by himself.

What's the opposite of a "total disaster"? Diaco inherited the opposite of a total disaster? Really? He inherited a team that went 3-9, that's the opposite of a total disaster? I know the OP likes to talk about facts. The fact is he inherited a team that was 3-9. That's the opposite of a disaster? And the QB that won the three games, lasted 1 game last year. Is there anyone left that really takes Pal seriously?

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/1415-mtt.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/1314-mtt.html

The 2-10 record is on him AND that team. He basically admitted he wasn't trying to win games last year, and it has taken me till about this point in the season for him to win back my support.

But it's a moronic argument to say he inherited the same team. The only "simple fact" is that the roster changed for numerous reasons, and the biggest impact was on the OL and at QB, and those two things dictated everything we were (un)able to do on offense.
No one said he inherited the same team. I sure didn't.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
BS. By discounting the roster turnover that every else has tried to ram into your head, you're at best implying same team.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:

What's the opposite of a disaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak