Diaco did not inherit a complete disaster. Quite the opposite. | The Boneyard

Diaco did not inherit a complete disaster. Quite the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually, he inherited a team on the rise. A team that had won it's last three games under T.J. Weist. He inherited an offense that averaged 33+ points a game in those last three contests and had just set an offensive record in its season closer.

I'm not saying this was a team that could compete for a championship in year one. But it was a solid squad with a star receiver and a decent defense.

Diaco decided his time was better spent repainting the Burton and changing diets rather than worrying about wins. He spent his time on culture. He refused to look at tape of his players saying he wanted to form his own opinion. His priorities were playing a lot guys and using the season to evaluate his team.

This was his choice. It resulted in a 2-10 season. That was the disaster. Now, as he tries to pull the team out of hole mostly of his own making, people point to 2013 and say the cupboard was bare. Diaco inherited all his problems.

I'm of an opposite mind. I think the 2013 team showed amazing character. They were in disarray in the middle of the season. They had lost a coach. They were on a bad losing streak. Yet somehow they stuck together. Got it changed. And ended the season on a high note. That is the team that Diaco inherited.

And that is the story many on the Boneyard have either forgotten or chose to ignore.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
TJ Weist did a good job to get those wins, but c'mon Pal. You can't tell me that you were happy with Pasqualoni years. PP left us with a storm here just the way he left one in Syracuse. Now, if you ask me the cupboard was not bare with PP arrived, but I do think that Diaco had a real mess to clean up.

I will agree that Diaco decided to sacrifice last year as a building year. We won't know whether that investment was worth it until 2016. I think it is still to soon to tell whether Diaco will be a good coach, at least at Connecticut, but I feel infinitely better this year than last year. We'll see.

Reaction Score
TJ Weist did a good job to get those wins, but c'mon Pal. You can't tell me that you were happy with Pasqualoni years. PP left us with a storm here just the way he left one in Syracuse. Now, if you ask me the cupboard was not bare with PP arrived, but I do think that Diaco had a real mess to clean up.

I will agree that Diaco decided to sacrifice last year as a building year. We won't know whether that investment was worth it until 2016. I think it is still to soon to tell whether Diaco will be a good coach, at least at Connecticut, but I feel infinitely better this year than last year. We'll see.
I'm not talking about the Pasquloni years. I am talking about the team Diaco inherited.

It was not the disaster that people portray. It was a team that got itself turned around.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yes, because there isn't the most obvious data point in the history of data points to cite here.

You could easily debunk your nonsense with "CC for TJ, no CC for BD," essentially.

The rest is just filler...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Diaco did not inherit the 2013 team. T.J. Weist did.

Diaco inherited the 2014 team that suffered under the same dysfunctional culture of which the 2013 team was a part.

Reaction Score
Diaco did not inherit the 2013 team. T.J. Weist did.

Diaco inherited the 2014 team that suffered under the same dysfunctional culture of which the 2013 team was a part.

Huh? He didn't inherit the team that was under Weist? Interesting take.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Huh? He didn't inherit the team that was under Weist? Interesting take.
No. Seniors graduate contributing significantly to personnel groups turning over (i.e. the offensive line).

Reaction Score
Actually, he inherited a team on the rise. A team that had won it's last three games under T.J. Weist. He inherited an offense that averaged 33+ points a game in those last three contests and had just set an offensive record in its season closer.

I'm not saying this was a team that could compete for a championship in year one. But it was a solid squad with a star receiver and a decent defense.

Diaco decided his time was better spent repainting the Burton and changing diets rather than worrying about wins. He spent his time on culture. He refused to look at tape of his players saying he wanted to form his own opinion. His priorities were playing a lot guys and using the season to evaluate his team.

This was his choice. It resulted in a 2-10 season. That was the disaster. Now, as he tries to pull the team out of hole mostly of his own making, people point to 2013 and say the cupboard was bare. Diaco inherited all his problems.

I'm of an opposite mind. I think the 2013 team showed amazing character. They were in disarray in the middle of the season. They had lost a coach. They were on a bad losing streak. Yet somehow they stuck together. Got it changed. And ended the season on a high note. That is the team that Diaco inherited.

And that is the story many on the Boneyard have either forgotten or chose to ignore.

I want to get this straight. So when the new jefe came in, everything was absolutely fine and we need to judge him not based on whether he is righting a sinking ship but as if the ship was already ship shape and he should be immediately making it the best ship anywhere?

Are you talking about Diaco or Obama? Well, at least Pal is consistent

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
2 of our wins in the end of 2013 came against teams who were a respective 2-10 and 3-9 (Temple and Memphis). The other team we beat, Rutgers, won 6 games that year, four of which were against Norfolk State (FCS), Eastern Michigan (2-10), Temple (2-10) and SMU. Diaco inherited a team who happened to play against three bad teams to finish out the 2013 season. So, if our schedule just so happened to finish out with Villanova, Army and UCF would you be singing Diaco's praises and saying we had a team on the rise? Your post makes no sense.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about the Pasquloni years. I am talking about the team Diaco inherited.

It was not the disaster that people portray. It was a team that got itself turned around.
Not sure that TJ's interim stint cleansed the the team of the Pasqualoni stank. Diaco inherited a team that that had been severely mismanaged for years. I disagreed when PP complained that the cupboard was bare, but I do think it's a fair point for Diaco. Attitude, conditioning, discipline were all in the dumpster.

I'm still not sold on Diaco, but, I feel like things are improving.

Reaction Score
Yes, because there isn't the most obvious data point in the history of data points to cite here.

You could easily debunk your nonsense with "CC for TJ, no CC for BD," essentially.

The rest is just filler...

So besides losing CC:

McCombs got thrown out and Brown and Phillips transferred out before HCBD starting coaching.

An already decimated senior class was wiped out further with injuries to maybe our two best players -- Jones and Davis -- and Adams up front.

Our OL graduated the only remaining players who had played for Edsall and then lost its best starting OT on opening day.

The only "fact" in your starting point was that the 13 team did in fact show amazing character by not giving up on the season 0-9 and way down on the road to Temple on a cold November night.

Reaction Score
I want to get this straight. So when the new jefe came in, everything was absolutely fine and we need to judge him not based on whether he is righting a sinking ship but as if the ship was already ship shape and he should be immediately making it the best ship anywhere?

Are you talking about Diaco or Obama? Well, at least Pal is consistent
No, once again a complete misunderstanding (or perhaps intention misunderstanding) of my post.

Diaco inherited a team that showed a lot of character. That dug itself out of a hole. That showed promise and effectiveness on offense. And was headed in the right direction after the Pasqualoni debacle.

And the people who describe the situation that Diaco inherited as a complete disaster are just flat wrong.

Reaction Score

Cared to take snaps from center the last two years? Can you run a 4.5 forty?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At some point you have to come to grips with the results.

Either is was a huge rebuild and the players weren't/aren't here or the coaching staff is a unmitigated failure.

Because those are really the only two ways you can go 3-15 against FBS teams....

Reaction Score
At some point you have to come to grips with the results.

Either is was a huge rebuild and the players weren't/aren't here or the coaching staff is a unmitigated failure.

Because those are really the only two ways you can go 3-15 against FBS teams....
I think its a little of both, but I get your point. There isn't overwhelming physical talent on this team. If there was, where are the 70yd TD plays?

I keep going back to the horrendous clock management, Diaco is learning on the job in some aspects. This bothers some people, I say if it is not corrected by next year its a huge problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom