Diaco did not inherit a complete disaster. Quite the opposite. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco did not inherit a complete disaster. Quite the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Talk about throwing at the wall and trying to make something stick. LOL.

2nd year head coach, in his second year of building a program, and a whacky coach at that. He's got to learn that you keep a frigging steady hand as a head coach, and prepare your team to win. the same way, all the time. The buildup to the UCF game was great, but what do you do after?

The guy is learning how to be a head coach, and he's demonstrated that he can learn. He's got a great recruiting plan and approach, and it's working. He's trying to figure out how to coach this team past where he got them against UCF, and he's in mid-season trying to do it. He's going to make mistakes and learn. It's ideal to plan to peak at the end of a season, not in mid season - and let's hope that wasn't the case this year.

Results of the past two contests, indicate that the team (coaches and players) may have been completely unprepared to handle the emotional high early this month, and they're trying to recover - which is pretty whacky in itself - a team being on an uncontrolled emotional high to beat a winless team to get to 3-3, but it's the state of the program now, and it looks to me like that's what happened.

Hopefully a short week helps with that, to get back on track - players and coaching. We're also a young team, that has had a grueling season so far, and the bodies and minds have got to be fatigued, and fatigue makes cowards of everybody. Got to overcome that.

One of the things that I hope Warde has learned, and studied going back with this program, is that our most successful years involved multiple bye's early in the season, and heavy loaded November schedule with home games.

Diaco doesn't control that, nor do the players - what they can control, is how they prepare on a short week, and how they perform on Friday night.

Biggest game of the season, and the year - again. They're all the biggest games.

Reaction Score
At some point you have to come to grips with the results.

Either is was a huge rebuild and the players weren't/aren't here or the coaching staff is a unmitigated failure.

Because those are really the only two ways you can go 3-15 against FBS teams....

There is another way to look at it. Diaco chose to do a complete tear down and rebuild. This is a path he chose.

The squad was not a complete disaster. It had actually taken some steps forward. It just was not to Diaco's liking. Weist had no such prejudice. He got different results because his priorities were different.

Reaction Score
I think its a little of both, but I get your point. There isn't overwhelming physical talent on this team. If there was, where are the 70yd TD plays?

I keep going back to the horrendous clock management, Diaco is learning on the job in some aspects. This bothers some people, I say if it is not corrected by next year its a huge problem.

He's been in coaching for how many years now? A head coach for over 1.5 years now. He's making a 7 figure salary. The clock management issues are a huge problem right now.

Reaction Score
Yeah I remember that first year Diaco came in, and he told Cochran to take a hike and shoved him down a flight of stairs. I agree with Palatine, that was totally uncalled for and really didn't help our chances.

Murdering Philips and McCombs was probably also not a good idea, but he's so handsome, we all forgave him.

I hope when I'm Palatine's age the nurse also gives me some hardcore narcotics.

Reaction Score
In fairness, while we all appreciated the way the 13 class finished out, they finished 3-9. The 3 teams they beat all had losing records, and 2 won the same amount of games we did. RU made it to a bowl on the strength of their 1AA schedule and signature win over a 3-9 Arkansas team. And we beat Temple because of the play of Smallwood and Willman - you do remember we needed 7 tries from the 1 to score? It was a nice happy ending, as they say, but let's be honest after that happy ending we still had the deal with the walk of shame that followed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think its a little of both, but I get your point. There isn't overwhelming physical talent on this team. If there was, where are the 70yd TD plays?

I keep going back to the horrendous clock management, Diaco is learning on the job in some aspects. This bothers some people, I say if it is not corrected by next year its a huge problem.

Sure you can argue it's half player, half coaches - whatever you like.

The only conclusion to take from Pal's OP is that it's 100% coaching.

If that is someone's view they are entitled to the opinion. Seems like a tough opinion to hold and have any hope going forward - but it's not like cognitive dissonance is rare around here.

Reaction Score
Um, Diaco also lost an incredibly promising young, returning QB in his first game as head coach.

Remember Casey Cochran? Having to go back to Chandler Whitmer immediately wasn't exactly how he drew it up/

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is another way to look at it. Diaco chose to do a complete tear down and rebuild. This is a path he chose.

The squad was not a complete disaster. It had actually taken some steps forward. It just was not to Diaco's liking. Weist had no such prejudice. He got different results because his priorities were different.

Um how would that opinion not be coaching mistakes?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You seem to have issue with the fact that he chose the more difficult, lasting path by going full rebuild. Which by its nature takes time. TJW (who was not undefeated btw, and had different key personnel) managing a last gasp against bad competition is evidence of precisely squat. But that's not shocking from the guy whose favorite player is always the backup, the guy who aways knows better than the coach, or the president.

Reaction Score
He's been in coaching for how many years now? A head coach for over 1.5 years now. He's making a 7 figure salary. The clock management issues are a huge problem right now.
They are but he isn't getting fired over it, so we have to grin and bare it. My biggest fear, he figures out the clock thing, and moves on to the next part of "learning on the job" again limiting the team's potential. I screamed about the clock issues after the UCF win and was shouted down by the "after a blowout win is not the time to be complaining about the clock" crowd. The board is weird like that sometimes, if its an issue, its an issue wether we won or lost the game. I'm not saying it needs to cost him his job that would be silly, but to ignore it as an issue after a win is just as silly.

Reaction Score
I don't really care what you want to call the situation Diaco inherited. Football programs are like large ships with many moving parts and it takes a lot of time and effort to change course. This ship was limping 180 degrees in the wrong direction during the most crucial time of conference realignment. Its winning percentage is only 0.321 over the past 4 1/2 years. It was a very bad situation all around no matter how you want to sugar coat it.

Reaction Score
They are but he isn't getting fired over it, so we have to grin and bare it. My biggest fear, he figures out the clock thing, and moves on to the next part of "learning on the job" again limiting the team's potential. I screamed about the clock issues after the UCF win and was shouted down by the "after a blowout win is not the time to be complaining about the clock" crowd. The board is weird like that sometimes, if its an issue, its an issue wether we won or lost the game. I'm not saying it needs to cost him his job that would be silly, but to ignore it as an issue after a win is just as silly.

Nah, there wasn't shouting down. In 241 I said we did stuff wrong that would cost us other games if it didn't get corrected. A few disagreed. There was no shouting down.

Reaction Score
Nah, there wasn't shouting down. In 241 I said we did stuff wrong that would cost us other games if it didn't get corrected. A few disagreed. There was no shouting down.
Not talking abot 241. I started a thread about it. People complained that after a blowout win is not the time to complain be happy yada, yada, yada.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Two full seasons of AAC play UConn had one player first team All AAC (Smallwood) and one player second team All AAC (Stephan).

That looks like it might not change.

To give you an idea the player gap they need to close... Kiel was only honorable mention last year. How far behind Kiel is UConn at the most important position and he was third best in the league?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pal,

I know you and like you as a person but at times your posts appear to be little more than a grasp for attention. I believe you have too much time on your hands.

One thing that you did leave out is how Diaco's teams have performed against a team that TJ's squad gave up 62 points to.

Reaction Score
Two full seasons of AAC play UConn had one player first team All AAC (Smallwood) and one player second team All AAC (Stephan).

That looks like it might not change.

To give you an idea the player gap they need to close... Kiel was only honorable mention last year. How far behind Kiel is UConn at the most important position and he was third best in the league?
And that is the best guy we've had at the position since Orlovsky, save for a few Casey Cochran games. I've said for years I don't understand how these Mac schools get kids that light up scoreboards and were happy when our guy hits a guy in stride. Mind boggling.

Reaction Score
Reading all these posts and having viewed the past 1.5 seasons under HCBD still can't get my head around the why the team is playing losing ball. Good talent, bad talent, in between talent - seems priority # 1 is always win the game at hand. If that isn't what everyone agrees to then I'm not on your wave length and what I say will not make any dent in your thinking. Last year only 12 games, seniors will never play for UConn again, learning and practicing is not like data through a serial port but can have many parallel efforts going on. Planning, scheming, practicing to win has to take the heaviest volume of time and effort. You don't have to abandon winning, or make it "less" important as you rebuild/vamp/energize; just find the right balance. If you were a playing would you like to think winning isn't the most important by far thing on your coaches mind every single minute in practice or during games?
The team last year underperformed its talent, this year the same - reason for improvement is players with more talent/experience (a lot the same players). A coach that plays RJ almost exclusively at running back for some games, then not at all, then sometimes after he has shown he just can't get to the line fast enough nor cut to openings consistently and just can't block is just not a good coach. Game 19 in his head coaching career is the scheme he came up with on defense against Cincinnati, not his 1st or 10th or in his 1st season; but after a year and a half of seeing most of these guys on defense and seeing 6 weeks film on Cincinnati offense (and last year for the QB who was hurt some this year) THAT WAS WHAT HE CAME UP WITH!

Reaction Score
Notice you post is fact free. What did I say that isn't true?

Here are some facts. With graduations, dismissals (Hemingway and McCombs), transfers (Phillips), NFL (Smallwood) and injuries, in Diaco's first year, he had 4 starters returning on offense and 5 on defense from the 2013 2-deep against Rutgers played Nov. 30, 2013. Plus he lost Jones and Ashiru during the season. Both the starting K and P graduated. In 2013, UConn was a relatively veteran team, except at QB, and they only won 3 games.

Specifically, from the Rutgers 2 deep, UConn lost 3 OL starters (and the player that backed up both OT positions), starting TE, starting QB (in the first game), starting TB, one starting WR, 3 starting DL, 2 starting LBs and he lost the 3rd during the season, one starting CB and he lost the other during the season, the starting P, and the starting K.

It was a total rebuild.

Reaction Score
No, once again a complete misunderstanding (or perhaps intention misunderstanding) of my post.

Diaco inherited a team that showed a lot of character. That dug itself out of a hole. That showed promise and effectiveness on offense. And was headed in the right direction after the Pasqualoni debacle.

And the people who describe the situation that Diaco inherited as a complete disaster are just flat wrong.

That's your opinion...pal

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Here are some facts. With graduations, dismissals (Hemingway and McCombs), transfers (Phillips), NFL (Smallwood) and injuries, in Diaco's first year, he had 4 starters returning on offense and 5 on defense from the 2013 2-deep against Rutgers played Nov. 30, 2013. Plus he lost Jones and Ashiru during the season. Both the starting K and P graduated. In 2013, UConn was a relatively veteran team, except at QB, and they only won 3 games.

Specifically, from the Rutgers 2 deep, UConn lost 3 OL starters (and the player that backed up both OT positions), starting TE, starting QB (in the first game), starting TB, one starting WR, 3 starting DL, 2 starting LBs and he lost the 3rd during the season, one starting CB and he lost the other during the season, the starting P, and the starting K.

It was a total rebuild.
In Pal's defense (wait...WHAT!?!?!), he looks at the name on the front of the jersey, not the ones on the back. It's difficult for him to understand that many players on the field in 2013 were not in 2014.

Diaco inherited a program, not a team.

Reaction Score
You seem to have issue with the fact that he chose the more difficult, lasting path by going full rebuild. Which by its nature takes time. TJW (who was not undefeated btw, and had different key personnel) managing a last gasp against bad competition is evidence of precisely squat. But that's not shocking from the guy whose favorite player is always the backup, the guy who aways knows better than the coach, or the president.
Winning 3 1-A games in a row coming out of an unmitigated disaster is hardly squat. Nobody else has even come close. Plus, the team got better week over week in a partial season. This is no question that TJ would have led the team to more wins last year, and I am pretty certain we would be in a lot better shape than we are now. Would it be sustainable? I don't know. But then again, I cant say I have any idea where this program is going with Diaco at this point either. Time will tell, but he is on the clock. We all need to pray like hell Diaco's efforts start showing material improvements. The next 4 games will tell quite a bit. Need to beat Tulane and we need a real strong game against ECU and vie for a win. An ECU and Tulane win takes the heat off and he's made his case for improvement. If he can get a WTF win against Temple (Houston will smoke the *t out of us), he will be in great shape.

Reaction Score

It was a total rebuild.

You failed to even mention Ty-Meer Brown.

After this post, Palatine should just lay low and admit defeat. He won't, but he should.

Reaction Score
Reading all these posts and having viewed the past 1.5 seasons under HCBD still can't get my head around the why the team is playing losing ball. Good talent, bad talent, in between talent - seems priority # 1 is always win the game at hand. If that isn't what everyone agrees to then I'm not on your wave length and what I say will not make any dent in your thinking. Last year only 12 games, seniors will never play for UConn again, learning and practicing is not like data through a serial port but can have many parallel efforts going on. Planning, scheming, practicing to win has to take the heaviest volume of time and effort. You don't have to abandon winning, or make it "less" important as you rebuild/vamp/energize; just find the right balance. If you were a playing would you like to think winning isn't the most important by far thing on your coaches mind every single minute in practice or during games?
The team last year underperformed its talent, this year the same - reason for improvement is players with more talent/experience (a lot the same players). A coach that plays RJ almost exclusively at running back for some games, then not at all, then sometimes after he has shown he just can't get to the line fast enough nor cut to openings consistently and just can't block is just not a good coach. Game 19 in his head coaching career is the scheme he came up with on defense against Cincinnati, not his 1st or 10th or in his 1st season; but after a year and a half of seeing most of these guys on defense and seeing 6 weeks film on Cincinnati offense (and last year for the QB who was hurt some this year) THAT WAS WHAT HE CAME UP WITH!

He also came up with the scheme to keep Missouri to 9, limited Army to 143 total yards, held BYU to 10 points going into the 4th quarter. When you have a young team that isn't particularly deep, then you will win some and lose some. This is Diaco's defense, this is how he plays it. Like it or not, this is what UConn signed up for when they hired him. "It's bend but don't break", he ran it ND, and everywhere else he has been. He doesn't have the players to run it well yet. He doesn't have the pass rushers for it or the depth, or any semblance of an offense to keep the D off of the field. The same could be said for Don Brown, you can Blitz your ass off all day, but eventually you will live/die by it. In 2011 Western Michigan ripped Brown's defense for 38 points, West Virginia 43, Pitt 35, L'ville 34, Cinn 35, Vandy 24, Iowa State 24. But Don Brown is a defensive guru! I DIDN'T REALIZE THE BONEYARD HAD SO MANY DEFENSIVE COORDINATORS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom