Desmond Conner : Pasqualoni walked into a train wreck | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Desmond Conner : Pasqualoni walked into a train wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Myers is a stud, more talented than either Griffin or Delahunt. We have a chance at Jordan Fuchs, another stud who would also be better than Griffin or Delahunt.
Griffin has been our best red zone threat but Myers or Fuchs would be as good.

I 1000 percent disagree with you. Its not even a fair comparison. Not to knock Myers, but he's a two star prospect, he's playing HS ball. How can you realistically, compare Griffin, A pro-prospect that will get drafted in six months and have an NFL career, with Myers of Fuchs? I think both of them are regional stars but, its not like they are 5 star prospects. How are they gonna come as freshmen and be better than 5th year seniors?

Reaction Score
I 1000 percent disagree with you. Its not even a fair comparison. Not to knock the Myers, but he's a two star prospect, he's playing HS ball. How can you realistically, compare Griffin, A pro-prospect that will get drafted in six months and have an NFL career, with Myers of Fuchs? I think both of them are regional stars but, its not like they are 5 star prospects. How are they gonna come as freshmen and be better than 5th year seniors?

Exactly. Myers may turn out to be better, who knows. But the statement that a few HS kids are gonna better than a likely draft pick is frankly absurd.

Someone's been sipping a little too much of the "P is a better recruiter" Kool Aid.

Reaction Score
A lot of people are sipping it.

It may turn out that P has made modest improvements in kids brought in, but in the past true frosh have actually contributed to us winning games. Jordan Todman. Mike Vaughn and Jazz Howard in the secondary. Kash Moore and Jeffers at WR. Trevardo and Joseph and Marcus Campbell at DE. Sherman at FB.

A handful of P's true frosh have played this year, but have any really contributed anything? Not knocking Williams or Norris or Samra but the answer is no, they haven't.

pj

Reaction Score
I 1000 percent disagree with you. Its not even a fair comparison. Not to knock the Myers, but he's a two star prospect, he's playing HS ball. How can you realistically, compare Griffin, A pro-prospect that will get drafted in six months and have an NFL career, with Myers of Fuchs? I think both of them are regional stars but, its not like they are 5 star prospects. How are they gonna come as freshmen and be better than 5th year seniors?

Obviously Myers and Fuchs have to develop as football players, but the athleticism is superior. Ryan Griffin was a 2* recruit in 2008, http://connecticut.scout.com/a.z?s=342&p=8&c=1&nid=3522342. It's a credit to him that he's developed into a potential NFL draft pick. But comparing Myers or Fuchs to the 2008 Griffin, everyone would agree Myers and Fuchs are far better prospects. It's only in retrospect, knowing that Griffin developed, that you think he's more talented.

The question at issue was whether a new coach coming in in 2013 would feel he had more talent than PP had coming in in 2011. If I'm coming in as a coach I might prefer 4 years of Myers and Stapleton to 2 years of Griffin and Delahunt. I'd absolutely prefer 4 years of Myers and Fuchs.

pj

Reaction Score

It may turn out that P has made modest improvements in kids brought in, but in the past true frosh have actually contributed to us winning games. Jordan Todman. Mike Vaughn and Jazz Howard in the secondary. Kash Moore and Jeffers at WR. Trevardo and Joseph and Marcus Campbell at DE. Sherman at FB.

A handful of P's true frosh have played this year, but have any really contributed anything? Not knocking Williams or Norris or Samra but the answer is no, they haven't.

Last year the class was defense-focused, and we have enough there that they weren't going to get on the field. This year it is offense focused and some of them will play right away -- Dhameer Bradley for sure, maybe Lance Burlingame, Josh Marriner, Javon Hadley, Myers, Stapleton, and a few others.

Reaction Score
He isn't beating out Whitmer in the next 2 years. By that time we'll have someone else, possibly the Texas kid ready to step in. I saw Cochran only once I admit, but he looked pretty ordinary to me. A marginal D1 talent. Slow footed in particular. He was recruited to keep up ties with the Connecticut high school coaches. It was an investment, not a true talent search. It may well have paid off with some of the local kids who are now looking at UConn but didn't before.

crazy talk

Reaction Score
PJ, like Myers, and Fuchs, Griffin was a basketball player also. He is freakishly athletic for a TE his size at this level. Yes, he has had some drops, but the kid if properly utilized, could have dominated at this level. He hasn't been properly utilized. The two frosh are going to have a long way to go to get to his level.

Reaction Score
Obviously Myers and Fuchs have to develop as football players, but the athleticism is superior. Ryan Griffin was a 2* recruit in 2008, http://connecticut.scout.com/a.z?s=342&p=8&c=1&nid=3522342. It's a credit to him that he's developed into a potential NFL draft pick. But comparing Myers or Fuchs to the 2008 Griffin, everyone would agree Myers and Fuchs are far better prospects. It's only in retrospect, knowing that Griffin developed, that you think he's more talented.

The question at issue was whether a new coach coming in in 2013 would feel he had more talent than PP had coming in in 2011. If I'm coming in as a coach I might prefer 4 years of Myers and Stapleton to 2 years of Griffin and Delahunt. I'd absolutely prefer 4 years of Myers and Fuchs.

No, I couldn't disagree with you more. Griffin was a tremendous, big athlete from the moment he was recruited. But he was playing out of position in high school and he played in New Hampshire that no one covers. You are absolutely mistaking recruiting rankings for talent.

If you look at the kids who UConn has sent to the NFL, some of them (Donald Thomas, Will Beatty, Marcus Easley, Reggie McClain, Ty Branch) clearly were not pro prospects when they got to Storrs but were developed at UConn. Others (Kendall Reyes, Donald Brown, Jordan Todman, Darius Butler, Anthony Sherman) were clearly pro prospects from day one who were simply misjudged by the recruiting world.

Reaction Score
Last year the class was defense-focused, and we have enough there that they weren't going to get on the field. This year it is offense focused and some of them will play right away -- Dhameer Bradley for sure, maybe Lance Burlingame, Josh Marriner, Javon Hadley, Myers, Stapleton, and a few others.

If I had a dollar for every player who came in here who was, on paper, the star or a star of a recruiting class who never developed into a significant player -- well, I could at least buy a sandwich. And Stamford is expensive!

Reaction Score
Do we really have to list the sure thing 4* recruits that came here and fizzled out? Frankly I can't even remember their names.

PP would have to show a lot more to prove he can coach kids up I'd say RE was in a league far above PP but it is too early to tell. Hopefully we never know how they compare.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One of the things that really bugs me about this season is that Pasqualoni has not even moved the OL back to Foley. I get that he doesn't want to fire DeLeone in midseason, even if I disagree, but there is no excuse for not putting the OL back to Foley after the Buffalo game. It was clear by then that the OL was regressing, and DeLeone had his hands full enough with the offense that he didn't need additional responsibilities.

Pasqauloni is simply ignoring the obvious, and it is an insult to the players, other coaches, and fans to let DeLeone to continue to fail at this level and take the whole program down with him.

Reaction Score
If you look at the kids who UConn has sent to the NFL, some of them (Donald Thomas, Will Beatty, Marcus Easley, Reggie McClain, Ty Branch) clearly were not pro prospects when they got to Storrs but were developed at UConn. Others (Kendall Reyes, Donald Brown, Jordan Todman, Darius Butler, Anthony Sherman) were clearly pro prospects from day one who were simply misjudged by the recruiting world.

If Kansas State and Collin Klein aren't teaching folks the star system is vastly overrated then nothing will.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I have to give you credit - you are exactly right across the board and not pulling punches.

If Edsall left the roster barren then why does the team have so few underclassman that even get on the field?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
crazy talk

I also don't think Cochrane will ever outplay Whitmer. I have no idea if he'll play as a junior - but if Whitmer stays healthy he'll be the QB through the next two years.

Reaction Score

O.k. I see that your comparing 2008 griffin t0 2013 Myers. That comparison is a little more fair. I agree that the talent on the roster for spring 2013 is somewhat better than what PP inherited although that fact has to be proven on the field. PP has brought in more talent relative to FHCRE.

Its really hard projecting how HS kids will develop in College. Easier to get a chance when they get on campus.

Reaction Score
I have to give you credit - you are exactly right across the board and not pulling punches.

If Edsall left the roster barren then why does the team have so few underclassman that even get on the field?

Well, I'm not saing he's wrong about Mike Vaughn, but I never even heard of the kid.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, I'm not saing he's wrong about Mike Vaughn, but I never even heard of the kid.

Part of the aura of Bizlaw is that he butchers names. It took me a few seconds to remember the right name myself.

Reaction Score
One of the things that really bugs me about this season is that Pasqualoni has not even moved the OL back to Foley. I get that he doesn't want to fire DeLeone in midseason, even if I disagree, but there is no excuse for not putting the OL back to Foley after the Buffalo game. It was clear by then that the OL was regressing, and DeLeone had his hands full enough with the offense that he didn't need additional responsibilities.

Pasqauloni is simply ignoring the obvious, and it is an insult to the players, other coaches, and fans to let DeLeone to continue to fail at this level and take the whole program down with him.

I could not agree with you more. (I assume that's going to make you reconsider your position.)

Reaction Score
Part of the aura of Bizlaw is that he butchers names. It took me a few seconds to remember the right name myself.

O.K. -- the friggin Safety from Massachusetts whom we took the redshirt off halfway through his true frosh year. If I have his first name wrong what was it?

Number 33. Scored a TD with a pick six at Pitt in the game we blew the big lead a few weeks before Jazz's stabbing

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
O.K. -- the friggin Safety from Massachusetts whom we took the redshirt off halfway through his true frosh year. If I have his first name wrong what was it?

Number 33. Scored a TD with a pick six at Pitt in the game we blew the big lead a few weeks before Jazz's stabbing

Yikes I was just making light of it. I have the same problem remembering names - it's funny that you know where he is from and specific plays he made but his first name is out of reach.

Reaction Score

Jeez.....3-5 makes people grouchy I guess.

Reaction Score
The reality is the only recruiting #uptick we are seeing is the amount Boneyarders care about it. HFD is the only reason anyone thinks there has been a #uptick, along with some BS commits like Ogundeko who never had any intention of truly coming here.

So far, Edsall has been a better recruiter than Pasqualoni, as terrifying as that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom