Desmond Conner is a Grumpy Old Man | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Desmond Conner is a Grumpy Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nan, I think the issue is mixing in the political-religious stuff on one's professional twitter. Id suspect most are following Desmond for his insight on UConn football, not for his political or religious views. A lot of media folks have separate personal social media accounts.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The issue was actually Dez's responses to a guy posting comments in his blog. Somehow the thread morphed into Everything That's Ever Bothered Me About Dez.

I find it humorous that the Courant is being pasted for not being tough enough on PP. Usually Boneyarders are up in arms over the Courant's harsh articles on UConn.

Reaction Score
Are people really attacking Dez's politics now? If you don't like the guy's blog, don't read it.

This thread should have ended at Fishy's post.
I'm just attacking his bad attitude towards the fans.

Reaction Score
what happend to the poll? It was at 50/50 last night. 50% thought Des could do what ever he liked. 50% thought he was treating readers with disrespect

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
what happend to the poll? It was at 50/50 last night. 50% thought Des could do what ever he liked. 50% thought he was treating readers with disrespect
How would you feel if I started a poll titled "Is CodyJ a a loser?"?

Reaction Score
Des is a Syracuse fan. I'd prefer he drop the church and Obama stuff from his twitter feed. Following him on Twitter was so brutal I had to stop.

If Silver reads this far get the SNY blog to have separate RSS feeds for football and women's basketball - I'm already sick of it.

I think DC was the guy who went out and bought all of the surplus Obama Coffee Table Books and Coffee Mugs from Barnes & Noble in '08.

Reaction Score
Cody- I actually felt the same exact way with the way he responded to people last year. He does talk like hes better then everyone. He has the information that us fans want to know. But when you ask him you get a smart ass remark, or a run around answer. Ive met Dez a couple times in person hes a great guy. Big smile on his face and laughing. But on the blog it seems like he gets really annoyed with having to answer questions. No one is trying to tell him how to do his job, but as fans I think we should have answers to why the offensive line is so terrible? Or why GDL is terrible at play calling? Or how against Western Mich i believe 9 out of our first 10 1st down play calls were a running play? 90% of the time, yeah i think the D knows what is coming on the next first down.

Actually, people ARE telling him how to do his job. Read the blog, people are commenting on there telling him "you NEED to ask Coach P.."

Reaction Score
Nothing frustrates me more than sports writers talking about their poltics. There used to be a time where you couldnt guess what political affiliation people were. What does he stand to gain besides alienating a good portion of his readers and putting the thoughts in people's heads that he's approaching sports situations with a certain political slant.

I really enjoy sites like Hardballtalk which are run by NBC Sports but it's absolutely ruined by the head writer there who goes above and beyond to try to inject his political beliefs into stories. A lot of people like myself who are political go to sports as an escape. His employer has a vested interest in him not using his professional Twitter feed for such purposes. I know when I was in the military I was not able to participate in political rallies in uniform so as not to give the perception that all people in that uniform believe what I am attending.

My suspicions are that since his employer largely agrees with his views they are not making much of an effort to shut them down.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Don't you think all/most of the writer's visit here @ on time or another to determine the hot button items. ? Hell - they may even be posting here under a pseudonym/pen name. The problem is we have some folks that are detached from reality of expectations @ times.

Mike DiMauro quoted me once.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He called out Metsfan by name once, too, devoted an entire paragraph to ridiculing him and the Boneyard. All of the CT press and media read the Boneyard as well as some members of the national press (mostly bball on that, though).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I get that the personal attacks on Deleone and Pasqualoni, or demanding their removal, is a place very few writers will go, and I don't blame Conner for shutting those questions down on the Courant board.

The questions about the offensive line blocking and the deterioration from last year are very fair. I don't get why Conner got so defensive.

Reaction Score
He called out Metsfan by name once, too, devoted an entire paragraph to ridiculing him and the Boneyard. All of the CT press and media read the Boneyard as well as some members of the national press (mostly bball on that, though).

Let's not forget about that childish rant against Pudge.

Reaction Score

wow... thats that link still exist?

Reaction Score
He must be reading the boneyard now, this from his twitter

Of course Dez reads the Boneyard. You can bet that everyone involved in UConn Athletics reads the Boneyard. If you were a journalist and wanted to take the quick pulse of Husky nation, what better place to look? Or if you were the AD looking to better understand the public's perception of university athletic affairs, where else is it so immediate and diverse? Or if you were a player or player parent looking for commentary and criticism, where else would you go? Bottom line, you could either commission an expensive survey, or link to the easily accessible one stop shopping venue known as The Boneyard (already conveniently bookmarked on your internet device). All of you clamoring for ways to email Warde Manuel needn't worry. I guarantee he's already seen what you've written, or had it reported to him by one of his minions tasked with the duty to keep an eye and ear to the ground and to cyberspace.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

And Dez called me his favorite poster on the Yard. And by favorite he meant least favorite. But that was last decade.

Reaction Score
Before he was even on twitter, Dez was called out for political comments on this board, and he called out the poster for it on his blog. It will be interesting to see if that happens again.

Reaction Score
From the HC comment section...

dconner says:
October 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm
Yeah you know I got a real nice email this afternoon from the Boneyard administrator. Really nice. I believe everything she said and I believe those who support me. Ill continue to do what I do and do it as best I can but will simply block and block out the fringe element. I began that process this morning. Work too hard on coverage to
be attacked by a finicky few who think I’m supposed to speak for them.
Thanks buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99