Desmond Conner is a Grumpy Old Man | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Desmond Conner is a Grumpy Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Truly have no idea how his editor hasn't talked to him.

Like I said - a real shame, because Des is a truly good guy. No idea why this internet persona comes out - it's nothing like the guy I've talked to in real life.

Reaction Score
You should never get in a twitter battle with fans. Nobody ever comes out ahead on that one.

Reaction Score
Des is the epitome of internet muscles. If you talk to him in person after running into him, he'll be extremely friendly, regardless of what you ask. On the internet, he sometimes is rude and abrasive and not professional at all. I personally think he should just can the chats - he doesn't add any info and is really just entertainment to see who he snaps at.

I like the chats. He should just do what most people in sports media do with stupid questions -- don't print them and sure as hell don't respond to them.

Reaction Score
my favorite Dez rant of all time...

Q: 2 4th quarter leads blown. With our apparent strong suits of running game and defense that's got to be on the coach's right? This is just an awful team. Can Pandergast get rid of Paul P already? He blew a timeout in the 4th quarter of both of these games when we really needed them on the defensive side of the ball. Here's to a frustrating season. - David, West Hartford.
A: David you're certainly entitled to your opinion but to call this team awful shows complete ignorance on your part as does yours or any other calls for getting rid of a head coach after the third game of the season. Plain ignorant. Anyway, try to calm your self and understand there are problems that need to be fixed. Some of them? You just weren't going to be able to see until you played a competitive game. Hey David, let's not pretend you haven't been used to clock management issues around here. Please with that one, OK? The season is certainly off to a frustrating start. It may or may not end that way but true - and I mean true fans - weather the storm with their team not blast the team and the coaches you have, calling the team awful? I think true fans also understand a new system is being applied everywhere and the current staff wias left with a roster of quarterbacks that had no experience and didn't return a veteran running back. It also had some key losses on the offensive line. I think most true fans understand all that. Denying those issues is ignorant. Are you a true fan, David? It's OK to criticize the team man and I guess calling it awful and calling for the coach to go is fine, too, your right.. it just shows complete ignorance on your part that's all and...that's all.

Reaction Score
By Desmond Conner on September 19, 2011 1:57 PM

You think that was combative? You don't know me very well.
Anyway I am combative toward ignorance for dam sure.
Anyone who says the team is awful and the coach should be replaced after three games is ignorant and that includes you if you feel anywhere near the same.
Like I said to that person I'll say to you: Where were you last year when the team was 0-2 and 3-4 under Edsall, were you one of the many calling for his head then? Oh wait, you were one of the folks who knew they were going to win the rest of their games and go to the BCS. That's right.
If you want to choose ignore the fact Edsall left a situation he fully knew he wouldn't have done much better [with no QB and Todman leaving] you go on and do that.
don't like the Pasqualoni hire be real and say that and stop rubbing up with a guy who wants the coach out after three games. You sound just as ignorant as he does and you most certainly are if you think Pasqualoni has undone what Edsall did in nine months.
Check the record: Edsall NEVER had this many recruits committed at ANY point in this career here and couldn't have plucked a player from some of the places Pasqualoni has.
That ain't ignorant...that's fact. Combat that. You're a true fan of Edsall. Maybe you should be cheering for Maryland

Reaction Score

Q: 2 4th quarter leads blown. With our apparent strong suits of running game and defense that's got to be on the coach's right? This is just an awful team. Can Pandergast get rid of Paul P already? He blew a timeout in the 4th quarter of both of these games when we really needed them on the defensive side of the ball. Here's to a frustrating season. - David, West Hartford.
A: David you're certainly entitled to your opinion but to call this team awful shows complete ignorance on your part as does yours or any other calls for getting rid of a head coach after the third game of the season. Plain ignorant. Anyway, try to calm your self and understand there are problems that need to be fixed. Some of them? You just weren't going to be able to see until you played a competitive game. Hey David, let's not pretend you haven't been used to clock management issues around here. Please with that one, OK? The season is certainly off to a frustrating start. It may or may not end that way but true - and I mean true fans - weather the storm with their team not blast the team and the coaches you have, calling the team awful? I think true fans also understand a new system is being applied everywhere and the current staff wias left with a roster of quarterbacks that had no experience and didn't return a veteran running back. It also had some key losses on the offensive line. I think most true fans understand all that. Denying those issues is ignorant. Are you a true fan, David? It's OK to criticize the team man and I guess calling it awful and calling for the coach to go is fine, too, your right.. it just shows complete ignorance on your part that's all and...that's all.

This was from after the third game last year?

Reaction Score

Q: 2 4th quarter leads blown. .....
Wow, just wow. you gotta be joking me.

Oh, and now he blackballed me from the courant.com because I called him out. I really dont care, but thought it was interesting. I guess I'd blackball somebody who showed me up too....maybe

Reaction Score
Yup and the ability to call a timeout correctly hasn't changed.

Can't blame him... 3 games into his first season and fans are calling for the coach to be fired. Ulterior motives. He needed to learn how to use the "ignore/block" button like we have here to filter out the tools.

I see the problem as the same issue we have here... there are some extremely knowledgable UConn (and just plain college football fans) on this board and the tolerence for the less educated (and stupid comments/questions) wanes at times.

we will hear about the timeouts for eternity... it will become the go-to argument.

Reaction Score
Wow, just wow. you gotta be joking me.

Oh, and now he blackballed me from the courant.com because I called him out. I really dont care, but thought it was interesting. I guess I'd blackball somebody who showed me up too....maybe

I think he banned you for another reason. But that's just a hunch.

Reaction Score
For all those bashing Dez, you may want to check his blog to see his interview with P.
yeah, about time. Maybe somebody got the point? Look at how he is answering questions in the mailbag now too. no more one word answers or bs comments.

Reaction Score
Are people really attacking Dez's politics now? If you don't like the guy's blog, don't read it.

This thread should have ended at Fishy's post.

People read his blog/twitter because he covers UConn football. NOBODY follows Desmond Conner because of what he has to say about politics.

They shouldn't intersect.

Reaction Score
People read his blog/twitter because he covers UConn football. NOBODY follows Desmond Conner because of what he has to say about politics.

They shouldn't intersect.

I follow this team and the local media coverage of UConn pretty close. I'm not sure if I have ever seen politics in his UConn Football Blog on the Courant site. His apparent personal Twitter feed yes (and often as a re-tweet of someone else's tweets) but if someone can point out a discussion of politics on his blog/mailbox - I'll go back in my hole. If not - unfair criticism - especially if he is not being paid to maintain the Twitter account.

Reaction Score
I follow this team and the local media coverage of UConn pretty close. I'm not sure if I have ever seen politics in his UConn Football Blog on the Courant site. His apparent personal Twitter feed yes (and often as a re-tweet of someone else's tweets) but if someone can point out a discussion of politics on his blog/mailbox - I'll go back in my hole. If not - unfair criticism - especially if he is not being paid to maintain the Twitter account.

Twitter is how sports writers dispense information these days. Everything breaks on twitter. Again, if he wants to talk about politics on another account, that's fine. But when he's using that same account to add to his coverage of the football team, it's a problem.

Alex Kline(CBB recruiting writer) has a separate account that is unrelated to his work account.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Agreed. How much time does it take to gloss over a tweet? Desmond Connor does not force his views upon you, nor do his views get in the way of his reporting. So he's spiritual...big deal. He doe not say that we must pray for diversity in play calling. Nor does he say that George Deleone is in a certain demographic and therefore Repubican and Neo Conservative. Because of this, he feeds 1% of the players 99% of the yards. To h3ll with redistributing the wealth of yards over the other RB's and Receivers. That's Communist!!!

Reaction Score
Twitter is how sports writers dispense information these days. Everything breaks on twitter. Again, if he wants to talk about politics on another account, that's fine. But when he's using that same account to add to his coverage of the football team, it's a problem.

Alex Kline(CBB recruiting writer) has a separate account that is unrelated to his work account.

It's only a problem if you make it a problem... there are tons of official twitter accounts that mix sports with other topics (religion, politics, beer brewing, food, travel). This is not our biggest problem in society - don't follow him if he drives you crazy.

Reaction Score
It's only a problem if you make it a problem... there are tons of official twitter accounts that mix sports with other topics (religion, politics, beer brewing, food, travel). This is not our biggest problem in society - don't follow him if he drives you crazy.

Did I ever say it was the biggest problem in our society? And find me another twitter account where the author is such an unabashed supporter/opponent of a particular candidate/party.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Did I ever say it was the biggest problem in our society? And find me another twitter account where the author is such an unabashed supporter/opponent of a particular candidate/party.

Yes...you did.

...But when he's using that same account to add to his coverage of the football team, it's a problem..

It's a big enough problem for you to mention it.

Reaction Score
Yes...you did.

I'm just gonna guess that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

I have not said once that talking about politics on a twitter account is the biggest problem in society.

Reaction Score

As they come along - I'll share. It was a comedy the night of the debate - a lot of people had comments. It was like stand-up comedy. I don't have time to go back right now but I will.

Look - my point is that unless his account is the official account for the Hartford Courant Sports Department and he is being compensated for his tweets - "we" should have nothing to say about it. You don't like politics, some people don't like religion, others don't want to hear about their kids' violin recital...

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm just gonna guess that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

I have not said once that talking about politics on a twitter account is the biggest problem in society.

Wow, speaking of Internet muscles...

I'll say it again: It's a big enough problem for you to mention it. If it's not, then why waste the time? If you don't like Connor's coverage of the team or the manner by which he covers it, then don't follow him. Tweets are 140 characters. You're wasting more time b1tching about it, than it takes to skip over the off-topic Tweets. Is it really that hard to dismiss ones that are not about football?

Reaction Score
Wow, speaking of Internet muscles...

I'll say it again: It's a big enough problem for you to mention it. If it's not, then why waste the time? If you don't like Connor's coverage of the team or the manner by which he covers it, then don't follow him. Tweets are 140 characters. You're wasting more time b1tching about it, than it takes to skip over the off-topic Tweets. Is it really that hard to dismiss ones that are not about football?

This isn't that difficult. I said that it's a problem, not that it's the "biggest problem in the world". There is already evidence ITT of him losing twitter followers because of his emphasis on partisan politics/religion.

Yes, it's possible to skip over those tweets. It's the principle of it which is the problem.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It doesn't bother me, so I guess we will continue to agree to disagree on this. Peter King posts personal stuff all the time, on Twitter and in his columns, and SI is right in his Twitter handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom