Desmond Conner is a Grumpy Old Man | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Desmond Conner is a Grumpy Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sometimes it seems like DC works for the pr department at uconn, instead of the local paper. He rarely wants to criticize PP or GD, and gives this one liner, that they are pro coaches, so to question their decision making in ridiculous based on their resume. (I'm not buying that argument for a number of reasons.)

The thing with his attitude is that, every once in a while he gets sensitive, makes it a little personal, with sarcasm, and borderline rudeness. Its seems like he doesn't really like his
job that much, and he can be anti-social when people disagree with his themes.

I'd agree with this. There are plenty of times when people ask him questions and all you get out of him is a "no" or "idk". I love that he is on UCONN football all year, and I think overall he does good work. But he's not an 11 year old, and needs to know that dealing with stupid people an their ridiculous questions is part of the job.

Reaction Score
Simple solution to a simple problem. If you don't like being called out in any way for making dumb comments, don't make them.

Yes, that goes to this board too and yes, that goes to me as well (although I will elect to continue to reserve the right to make dumb comments and just deal with being called out on them afterwards thank you very much).

Reaction Score
Hey, if this is true, thats cool. But he still "shouldtn be like this to his readers.

He shouldn't even respond to certain questions. Answering is a no win situation

Reaction Score
I used to be a Dez fan, but his coverage of the team has been spotty at best this season. Just a couple of weeks ago, someone on the BY (don't remember exactly who) asked Dez if everything was ok because they had not read anything in several days from him. Also, he has his favorite players who are not starters and he will mention them numerous times.

Reaction Score
He shouldn't even respond to certain questions. Answering is a no win situation

I wonder if he has an "ignore/block" filter like we do :p. I saw him snap on Twitter over vulgar, mean comments.

Reaction Score
I used to be a Dez fan, but his coverage of the team has been spotty at best this season. Just a couple of weeks ago, someone on the BY (don't remember exactly who) asked Dez if everything was ok because they had not read anything in several days from him. Also, he has his favorite players who are not starters and he will mention them numerous times.

He took time off and Paul Doyle covered...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Some of Connors' readers are duck*ing morons.

I don't think there's anything in his job description that he needs to coddle every halfwit that asks him a question.

I get the customer service angle, but good lord, read some of those questions.

Reaction Score
Some of Connors' readers are duck*ing morons.

I don't think there's anything in his job description that he needs to coddle every halfwit that asks him a question.

I get the customer service angle, but good lord, read some of those questions.

exactly. wow, we're taking the same side in an argument, scary.

Reaction Score
Well, so far 41% so far think he has an attitude problem. It's not his own private website where he can do whatever he wants.

If I am in a restaurant and I hear some server bitching out the table next to me I'd walk out.
If 41% of the customers at that restaurant thought that their servers had attitude problems they'd be out of business.

He needs to fix his head and get right. I spend money on the HC and see their advertisements. Check your head boss

Reaction Score
I tend to lean towards the original poster here... I think he's too thin skinned and yes I get the fact that he probably gets tired of fielding dumb questions from dumb people at times but look, there are lots of lines of work (especially in the customer service field) where people have to put up with stupid and/or annoying people all day and aren't allowed to snap back at them... I was a little league baseball umpire back in the day - a great example right there of having to deal with j/o's all day long and just having to deal with it

also, as someone else mentioned already Dez needs access to do his job... unfortunately this results too often in him kowtowing to the coaching staff and not being critical when it's warranted or when it might make things uncomfortable for him... and yes, I get this too and most would do the exact same thing in his shoes, however, for this reason I just can't read him when it comes to any piece of his evaluating the coaching staff or players...

go back to his coverage in Spring '10... you would think at times that we had a 3 way QB battle between Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas and Otto Graham (yes, i'm exagerrating but you get my point.... and I mean that with no disrespect to the players especially Johnny Mac who is a great kid and did what he could for us... not fair to get on a walk on doing his best)... he got my hopes up and we all know how that went last year...

Reaction Score
For argument's sake, let's say Dez started asking P "how long till you start to reconsider DeLeone as your OC?" or "at what point in the season would you consider making a change at one of the coaching positions?".

Do the people complaining about Dez really think:
  1. Pasqualoni is going to answer?
  2. Pasqualoni should even bother to answer?
  3. Pasqualoni and DeLeone will respect Dez for "asking the tough questions" and grant him more access to the program instead of less access?
Which of you is ready to accept less access to coaches and players from the guy who covers the team more than anyone else because he's accepted your personal crusades to get one of the coaches fired? We are all at varying levels of disgust with Pasqualoni and DeLeone. What's the point in taking those frustrations out on Dez?

That said, Dez is way too sensitive and shouldn't bother responding to half the stuff he does.

Reaction Score
Dez is what he is. A good reporter with limited football knowledge. He plays favorites with players, and for the most part is pretty good about his readers.

With that being said, he doesn't have the right mentality to be a journo in the new blogosphere/twitterverse. He is often combatitive and takes things personally rather than laughing them off. He flames certain people by providing them exposure which is very dumb. He could easily use them in a humorous way(like, "hey look at what i deal with") that many national/regional more tech savvy guys do it, but he's just not that guy. Its a flaw and my guess is that he will be called out for some of the attitude he gives the readers at some point.

Reaction Score
For argument's sake, let's say Dez started asking P "how long till you start to reconsider DeLeone as your OC?" or "at what point in the season would you consider making a change at one of the coaching positions?".

Do the people complaining about Dez really think:
  1. Pasqualoni is going to answer?
  2. Pasqualoni should even bother to answer?
  3. Pasqualoni and DeLeone will respect Dez for "asking the tough questions" and grant him more access to the program instead of less access?
Which of you is ready to accept less access to coaches and players from the guy who covers the team more than anyone else because he's accepted your personal crusades to get one of the coaches fired? We are all at varying levels of disgust with Pasqualoni and DeLeone. What's the point in taking those frustrations out on Dez?

That said, Dez is way too sensitive and shouldn't bother responding to half the stuff he does.

This.

Reaction Score
Elsewhere in the I-A college football and NFL world the head coach is frequently asked questions about the performance of coordinators of poorly performing offenses and defenses. (The coverage of ex-Giants defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan in December 2009 is a perfect example). It's not unreasonable to ask P about DeLeone's performance and about the O-line coaching situation. Is it an uncomfortable thing to ask? You bet. Does it take balls? definitely. But it can be done in a tactful, diplomatic and non-loaded manner. P can choose to blow off or blow up at the question (like Coughlin did) but it doesn't diminish the validity of the question. Remember, two years ago Edsall midseason changed his mind and gave up coaching the safeties and it's reasonable to ask if DeLeone should do the same thing.
We're used to Calhoun, Geno and Edsall treating the media with disdain. But they were a lot more media friendly when they were building up their political capital. P can choose the JC-Geno-RE path when asked a tough question, but he's on much shakier ground than the other three ever were.

Reaction Score
He isnt objective when it comes to criticizing the coaching staff. I see it often with various local sports reporters, they are more interested in maintaining their access that they forget they're reporters or at least some form of one.

Reaction Score
Elsewhere in the I-A college football and NFL world the head coach is frequently asked questions about the performance of coordinators of poorly performing offenses and defenses. (The coverage of ex-Giants defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan in December 2009 is a perfect example). It's not unreasonable to ask P about DeLeone's performance and about the O-line coaching situation. Is it an uncomfortable thing to ask? You bet. Does it take balls? definitely. But it can be done in a tactful, diplomatic and non-loaded manner. P can choose to blow off or blow up at the question (like Coughlin did) but it doesn't diminish the validity of the question. Remember, two years ago Edsall midseason changed his mind and gave up coaching the safeties and it's reasonable to ask if DeLeone should do the same thing.
We're used to Calhoun, Geno and Edsall treating the media with disdain. But they were a lot more media friendly when they were building up their political capital. P can choose the JC-Geno-RE path when asked a tough question, but he's on much shakier ground than the other three ever were.

The question is not whether it's a legitimate question. The question is why would you spend your relationship capital asking a question that you know you won't get an answer to. If P is on the verge of firing GDL, he's not going to say it in answer to a question. So what purpose would Dez be serving? What pleasure will you get in the question being dismissed outright or ignored like a candidate in a debate pretending to answer it when he's talking about something else?

Reaction Score
Des is the epitome of internet muscles. If you talk to him in person after running into him, he'll be extremely friendly, regardless of what you ask. On the internet, he sometimes is rude and abrasive and not professional at all. I personally think he should just can the chats - he doesn't add any info and is really just entertainment to see who he snaps at.

Reaction Score
The question is not whether it's a legitimate question. The question is why would you spend your relationship capital asking a question that you know you won't get an answer to. If P is on the verge of firing GDL, he's not going to say it in answer to a question. So what purpose would Dez be serving? What pleasure will you get in the question being dismissed outright or ignored like a candidate in a debate pretending to answer it when he's talking about something else?

Great point about "relationship capital", BL. A fine line and knowing when to pick the spots to use it. But if not now, when? There are several elephants in the room - the timeout debacle, the ongoing playcalling mess, and now bubbling signs of outright player rebellion.

P can no comment, rip the questioner like JC or storm off the podium. I don't think those are responses that will make his boss real happy and would say more about him than the person asking the question. Reporters ask politicians questions all the time that they know won't be answered. But at least the effort is made to ask the question.

Maybe P could surprise us all and give us his rationale for backing GDL and his "system". It would be interesting to see if that rationale is more cogent than the one he gave for not using the timeouts.

Reaction Score
Great point about "relationship capital", BL. A fine line and knowing when to pick the spots to use it. But if not now, when? There are several elephants in the room - the timeout debacle, the ongoing playcalling mess, and now bubbling signs of outright player rebellion.

P can no comment, rip the questioner like JC or storm off the podium. I don't think those are responses that will make his boss real happy and would say more about him than the person asking the question. Reporters ask politicians questions all the time that they know won't be answered. But at least the effort is made to ask the question.

Maybe P could surprise us all and give us his rationale for backing GDL and his "system". It would be interesting to see if that rationale is more cogent than the one he gave for not using the timeouts.

The answer to "if not now, when" is when you think there is some reasonable chance that you will learn something from the question worth learning. Dez has a clue whether that reasonable chance exists. No one posting here does.

Reaction Score

Most reporters ask the question they know won't be answered for two reason - 1. So their boss can see they asked it and 2. for the viewers/readers to see that it was asked. His boss will be more piss if he creates a fire storm by answering a question that shouldn't be.

Outright Player rebellion - huh? Please don't use Bennett screaing match as an example of that - please.

Reaction Score
Let's go back to the Tom Coughlin-Bill Sheridan situation. The Giants beat writers constantly asked Coughlin about Sheridan. I'm sure none of them expected a direct answer, nor did they get one. I also have a clue there's a 99 percent chance P won't answer the question and most people here posting don't expect one either. Doesn't mean the issues should be ignored or they question(s) shouldn't be asked.

Reaction Score
Let's go back to the Tom Coughlin-Bill Sheridan situation. The Giants beat writers constantly asked Coughlin about Sheridan. I'm sure none of them expected a direct answer, nor did they get one. I also have a clue there's a 99 percent chance P won't answer the question and most people here posting don't expect one either. Doesn't mean the issues should be ignored or they question(s) shouldn't be asked.
Going back to those days is not fun as a Giants fan. In many ways it reminds me of this. There was the previous coach leaving for what was supposedly a better job (Spags) and a stop gap put in place who was just an obviously bad choice early on and we had to ride it out. The only thing though is the Giants smartened up and dumped him after 1 season, we're going on 2 now with what we all know won't work. I'll always remember Sheridans "Because I am competent" response when questioned about why he should be a defensive coordinator or something (I don't remember the question). I just remembered the same sort of refusal to ever even consider that he may be doing the wrong thing. Whether it was Sheridans read and react style defense to Deleones snorefest run run pass punt offense. I will give the Giants beat reporters credit for at least asking what the fans want to hear and not sidestepping their duties so as to stay in the good graces of the coaching staff. Right now I feel guys like Desmond care more for their personal relationships with the coaching staff than what the true purpose of their job is.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. You have a job where you interact with fans in blog and then when one requests that you ask a question you get all up in his face. Would it be better if the fan asked "Dez, why can't we block or run the ball any more?" Don't want his opinion, want answers from the coach.

Why the angry guy attitude when your job is to talk about a football team that can't run, can't score and can't win two games in a row. Not like you should be asking coach if he thinks LM will beat out Lattimore for the Doak Walker award.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. You have a job where you interact with fans in blog and then when one requests that you ask a question you get all up in his face. Would it be better if the fan asked "Dez, why can't we block or run the ball any more?" Don't want his opinion, want answers from the coach.

Why the angry guy attitude when your job is to talk about a football team that can't run, can't score and can't win two games in a row. Not like you should be asking coach if he thinks LM will beat out Lattimore for the Doak Walker award.

Who wants to bet there is "previous history" with a number of these "slap back" responses/answers. You can only hide behind so many on-line personas before it becomnes apparent who is who.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Des is the epitome of internet muscles. If you talk to him in person after running into him, he'll be extremely friendly, regardless of what you ask. On the internet, he sometimes is rude and abrasive and not professional at all. I personally think he should just can the chats - he doesn't add any info and is really just entertainment to see who he snaps at.

I don't know Mr. Connor personally, but he did respond via e-mail to one of my comments on the Courant years ago. Many of commentors have much bigger Internet muscles than he. At the end of the day, Mr. Connor is a beat reporter, not a columnist when it comes to UConn Football. He is quick to defend his integrity and his reputation, and rightfully so, IMO. (A) The UConn beat (football and basketball) is a front line Courant assignment in this state. (B) He will not be able to do his job if he gets labeled a troublemaker, and (C) With FOX News vs MSNBC taking up the foreground, spouting opinion under the guise of fact, integrity in journalism (again, he is not a columnist) is such a missing attribute nowadays, even if it is "merely" sports journalism. Could he ask some tougher questions? Sure, But he also isn't Jim Gray, Jim Rome or anyone else with a clear adgnda to get under the interviewees' skin. Also, the coaches did a pretty good job in hanging themselves out to dry this past week...Mr. Connor didn't have to lead them there...

It is what it is. If you don't like what he writes in the comments' section, then don't read the comments...But don't simultaneously comment yourself, in an attempt to bait him either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom