Delany on East Coast pre-expansion push: espn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Delany on East Coast pre-expansion push: espn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The New York City DMA, which is bizarrely conceded to Rutgers by the media, includes about a million people who reside inside of the Connecticut state borders.

It also includes Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess and Suffolk Counties that, if anything, would be more predisposed to Connecticut than RU.

Like me - Unless they were playing UConn, I wouldn't watch Rutgers at the point of a gun.

Reaction Score
Cinny is actually Louisville Natural rival and a possible WV partner ,
They get in the ACC or Big 12 before us.

there's absolutely no way IMO that cincy would get the nod over us to the acc, none. the 12 makes too much sense and they should have grabbed ville and cincy when they had the chance.

Reaction Score
If Cincy gets into the ACC over UCONN if both were available, then I don't know what to say to you guys. Burn everything down. ESPN, North Carolina, Boston College, everything. Just go scorched earth on anything connected to the ACC.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If Cincy gets into the ACC over UCONN if both were available, then I don't know what to say to you guys. Burn everything down. ESPN, North Carolina, Boston College, everything. Just go scorched earth on anything connected to the ACC.

We can start with B.C. right?

On a side note, the North Carolina schools are about our only allies inthe ACC.

Reaction Score

It's at that point that the Gov. tells ESPN that every year of UConn's AD losing $20m in TV revenues is another year of ESPN forgoing tax rebates.

Reaction Score
Unless there is a NCAA rule change the only way to make 15 schools work is to have unbalanced divisions - the scheduling implications of that makes the idea very unattractive to most schools.

The situation with 11 schools is a bit different in that they didn't need to split into divisions until Nebraska joined and this also allowed them to host a CCG.
I believe that this rule change is about to occur, no? Lets say for a moment, that it does pass. Each League can then select their two opponents for the Championship Game as they choose. I think 15 is a GREAT number for UConn fans. Here is why, taking the BIG 10 example.

EAST
1. UConn
2. Rutgers
3. Penn State
4. Maryland
5. Indiana

MIDEAST
1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Michagan State
4. Northwestern
5. Purdue

MIDWEST
1. Wisconsin
2. Minnesota
3. Iowa
4. Nebraska
5. Illinois

In Football, the eventual move is to a 9 game schedule. This 15 Team League sets up perfectly. You play your four (4) division opponents every year and you play a Home/Away series with the another divisions (5) opponents, rotating after every 2 seasons of play. That way, traditional rivalries can be maintained and you play everyone in your conference at least every third year.

In Basketball, I like it even better. You play both a Home and Away game within your Division (8 Games) and each opponent in the other Divisions once (10 Games). A perfectly balanced 18 game schedule where everyone plays eachother at least once.

Hypothetically in the ACC, it may work even better. The football powers get to play each other every year. Basketball wise, the East and Mid-Atlantic maintain their traditional rivalries. It is a great set up for everyone.

EAST
1. UConn
2. Boston College
3. Syracuse
4. Pitt
5. Wake Forest

Mid-Atlantic
1. Duke
2. North Carolina
3. NC State
4. Virginia
5. Virginia Tech

South
1. Miami
2. Florida State
3. Georgia Tech
4. Clemson
5. Louisville

By allowing Conferences to chose their Championship Game as they see fit in Football, a 15 team Conference is easily doable over a 14 team setup, in my opinion. If this shoe shall drop, I think it is our ticket in to greener pastures...

OK, back to WORK!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Cinny is actually Louisville Natural rival and a possible WV partner ,
They get in the ACC or Big 12 before us.

Yes, the smart play would have been Cincy and L'ville to the Big 12 and UConn to the ACC. It would have gotten the Big 12 to 14 and given WVU two local schools. UConn would have been a good fit for the ACC.

However, that would have required a cooperative, logical discussion about what is in the best interests of all the parties involved. Granted, the Big 12 wants their autonomy and doesn't want to add schools that supposedly won't add equivalent value. OK, but don't they see what is going to happen with the P5 split? Do they really think that they can split away as the P5 and still have their own little fiefdoms? If they want the P5 split to really work the conferences would have to be willing to give up some of their autonomy and bargain TOGETHER to maximize the $$$$$. That would mean some cooperative conference realignment has to happen. IMO, to have the P5 breakaway AND have each the P5 remain autonomous (and at times predatory towards each other) is counter intuitive.

Reaction Score
How could I forget ND??? Oh well, you get the picture. In ACC for Basketball you go to 4 pods of 4. Football is as stated up top.

Reaction Score
Lol, there's no need to get so butt hurt by claiming Syracuse would be just as suitable of a member as UConn.

The only part that needs to sink in is the B1G is interested in who can make them the most money. Hell if a community college got BTN at their desired rate in NYC, they'd take them.

No one is butt hurt, it's just that your view is not backed by facts.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
JayRU09 said:
That's the goal to get BTN onto basic cable, but Syracuse isn't in the NYC metro which is the only market in NY the B1G cares about. Syracuse won't bring you that and someone else said it before.....if people were afraid of UCONN post Calhoun, they're even more terrified of Syracuse post-Boeheim. Once he's gone that's it for Cuse. No recruiting base, snowiest city in America, small private school, an island in its own conference already.

The ACC's moves have all been for quick gains, and Pittsburgh for some reason. But Cuse and the Ville were short term moves. ACC/ESPN will keep pointing to the Duke vs. Cuse rating during the regular season, but let's see how it is five years from now. Let's see how it is in the post Boeheim era. Don't have much hope for them.

You forgot crumbling Carrier Dome, which is how Southern Canada got on the map in the first place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are a lot of schools in the ACC that I think feel that UCONN basketball in the ACC would negatively effect recruiting for them. Not Duke or UNC, they'll always get their players, but I can see several schools voting against UCONN just for that reason. Unfortunately, for them, Swofford/ESPN maybe forced to invite UCONN anyway despite their objections. I mean UCONN in the B1G knocks the ACC out of the NYC AND New England markets in one shot, and don't think Jim Delaney doesn't know this. Keep in mind I'm talking basketball/MSG here. Remember also that Delaney, even though he knows full well that football drives the bus, he has big time roots in basketball (grew up in sight of the Manhattan skyline) and would love to get the B1G tournament in MSG. It's not football dollars but it's close.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No one is butt hurt, it's just that your view is not backed by facts.

Mr. Delany? Is that you?

Nobody has any idea what's going to happen. But claiming that Syracuse doesn't have similar pull in NYC is just idiotic.

Reaction Score
They don't.

Us vs. Louisville doubled their rating on the same night they went against WVU in NYC.

In basketball they do, but UCONN's basketball ratings are I believe higher than theirs.

Reaction Score
Good questions. Very good. I think both would have been solid adds. But did Delany hold out for Virginia and North Carolina? That would have brought the B1G to 16.

IMO yes. I think he believed that by grabbing UMD he could destabilize The ACC enough to get the realignment wheel spinning full speed again. If suddenly Clemson, FSU, GT, and Miami were looking at the Big 12 and NCST and VPI were looking at the SEC, he might have been able to pluck UNC and UVA. It didn't work as the conference quickly back filled with Louisville and added a scheduling agreement with ND to further placate the football schools.

Ultimately I think there was interest on UVA's side but not so much UNC. Without an immediate school to pair with UVA. I think Delany got cold feet and things cooled down between both sides. In the end I think UNC's identity is too attached to being the face of the ACC to depart the conference w/o its complete collapse already having taken place. I think the ACC survives as long as ESPN wants it to.

What will be interesting to watch is if several years pass and B1G Schools are making 15mil+ more a year than their ACC Rivals, with The ACC Network still a potential idea not a functioning platform, I could see UVA making the move. I would be perfectly ok with The B1G going to 15 in 2017 with perhaps a look in built in for expansion in a few years.

Reaction Score
I believe that this rule change is about to occur, no? Lets say for a moment, that it does pass. Each League can then select their two opponents for the Championship Game as they choose. I think 15 is a GREAT number for UConn fans. Here is why, taking the BIG 10 example.

EAST
1. UConn
2. Rutgers
3. Penn State
4. Maryland
5. Indiana

MIDEAST
1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Michagan State
4. Northwestern
5. Purdue

MIDWEST
1. Wisconsin
2. Minnesota
3. Iowa
4. Nebraska
5. Illinois

In Football, the eventual move is to a 9 game schedule. This 15 Team League sets up perfectly. You play your four (4) division opponents every year and you play a Home/Away series with the another divisions (5) opponents, rotating after every 2 seasons of play. That way, traditional rivalries can be maintained and you play everyone in your conference at least every third year.

In Basketball, I like it even better. You play both a Home and Away game within your Division (8 Games) and each opponent in the other Divisions once (10 Games). A perfectly balanced 18 game schedule where everyone plays eachother at least once.

Hypothetically in the ACC, it may work even better. The football powers get to play each other every year. Basketball wise, the East and Mid-Atlantic maintain their traditional rivalries. It is a great set up for everyone.

EAST
1. UConn
2. Boston College
3. Syracuse
4. Pitt
5. Wake Forest

Mid-Atlantic
1. Duke
2. North Carolina
3. NC State
4. Virginia
5. Virginia Tech

South
1. Miami
2. Florida State
3. Georgia Tech
4. Clemson
5. Louisville

By allowing Conferences to chose their Championship Game as they see fit in Football, a 15 team Conference is easily doable over a 14 team setup, in my opinion. If this shoe shall drop, I think it is our ticket in to greener pastures...

OK, back to WORK!

Good post. For the ACC, Wake might be pissed but no one cares what Wake thinks.

Reaction Score
1) Agree but his lack of a filter did provide at least some insight into behind the scenes discussions.

2) Agree that Mizzou and Kansas were more of interest to him personally rather than the B1G leadership as a whole otherwise both would have been invited.

3) The future of B1G expansion lies to the East. The only B1G expansion to the West would have to involve Texas. Do you agree with this perspective?

Yes I agree. There is way too much money to potentially be made with Texas as a part of the conference. That said The B1G is not going to change its rules for UT. Would Texas ever subjugate themselves to be in a conference where their vote no longer carried as much weight as all of the other members combined? Could they accept making the same amount of TV money as Purdue or Northwestern? Even if that amount was more than what they were receiving on their own LHN? I'm not so sure.

Reaction Score
They don't.

Us vs. Louisville doubled their rating on the same night they went against WVU in NYC.

In basketball they do, but UCONN's basketball ratings are I believe higher than theirs.

Let's compare apples to apples?

Pinstripe Bowl ratings
2011 Cuse 2.63 vs 2012 RU 2.1 (down 20%)
2013 Cuse 3.5 vs 2014 RU 3.2

Syracuse and Uconn generate more interest in NYC than RU....

pj

Reaction Score
On the other hand, Ky has plenty of Midwestern states on its border: In, Oh, Ill, Mo - who's to say they can't go BIG? Ky basketball has long depended on Chicago Land talent, esp in the modern era.

Kentuckiana & the Ohio River Valley (ORV), & I'm kindly limiting this list to IU, Cincy, OSU, Lville, Ky, & Xavier, my opinion, has been the most successful basketball region for a long time, but the lack of a more singular conference has diminished its value when compared to say Tobacco Road and even all of Va. The ORV has superior numbers to any other region in terms of m. college basketball: NCAA titles, Final Fours, NCAA wins, etc. The above schools, which is not all of the great basketball programs in the ORV, has 19 NCAA titles, and around 50 Final Fours. But again, that list draws from 5 different conferences: BIG, AAC, ACC, SEC and Big East. Find another region, similar radius, it won't compare.

UConn and Kentucky to the B1G is an intriguing and under-discussed possibility. It would be a huge win for B1G basketball and Kentucky is a bit more east-oriented than Missouri so more attractive to UVa or UNC if they are the path to 18/20.

pj

Reaction Score
I believe that this rule change is about to occur, no? Lets say for a moment, that it does pass. Each League can then select their two opponents for the Championship Game as they choose. I think 15 is a GREAT number for UConn fans. ...

15 x 9 games / 2 teams per game is not an integer, so you'd have to have an arrangement where UConn plays 10 games per year, all other teams 9, and UConn agrees to drop one win for the purpose of calculating bowl or championship game rankings. A small price to pay for B1G membership.

Reaction Score
UConn and Kentucky to the B1G is an intriguing and under-discussed possibility. It would be a huge win for B1G basketball and Kentucky is a bit more east-oriented than Missouri so more attractive to UVa or UNC if they are the path to 18/20.

I've thought about UK often, but I assume that their alums and T shirt fan base would lose their s*** about leaving the mighty SEC for the lowly northern B1G. Despite the following:

More Money
Better academics
Better basketball conference
Less daunting football conference w/regional rivalries.
Quality basketball/Football Rivalry with IU
Access to Ohio for recruiting

When you consider it The B1G is better in every way for UK. They could compete with the majority of football schools, and play a far better schedule in their premiere sport.

Reaction Score
No way that UK would ever leave SEC. Less money, way worse football (where they're improving), and a cultural mismatch.

Reaction Score
I've thought about UK often, but I assume that their alums and T shirt fan base would lose their s* about leaving the mighty SEC for the lowly northern B1G. Despite the following:

More Money
Better academics

When you consider it The B1G is better in every way for UK. They could compete with the majority of football schools, and play a far better schedule in their premiere sport.

They already are dominating Ohio in recruiting. They're the only SEC school that has direct access. Joining the B1g eliminates that option. Also the money will be less in a year or two.

Reaction Score
I've thought about UK often, but I assume that their alums and T shirt fan base would lose their s* about leaving the mighty SEC for the lowly northern B1G. Despite the following:

More Money
Better academics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom