Crocker | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Crocker

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I am shocked out true freshmen DBs didn't show more pose against a team with a Heisman Candidate at quarterback.damn some people on this board.

We our butts kicked by a team that was supposed to kick our butts.

Our QB shows flashes of his potential, and for the first time in years our O-line looked like it was familiar with the concept of protecting a QB.

The D is young and small and that is a bad combination. Luckily, nature will improve both flaws. The rest is up to the coaches.

I also think the kid from New Haven will play on Sundays in 5 years.

So right. Some people are judging the season off one game against possibly our toughest or second toughest opponent. Look at performance after 4 games or so to see if the obvious breakdowns on a young D are corrected. And Pindell might just make our O dangerous and entertaining.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
So right. Some people are judging the season off one game against possibly our toughest or second toughest opponent. Look at performance after 4 games or so to see if the obvious breakdowns on a young D are corrected. And Pindell might just make our O dangerous and entertaining.

Granted, but we're going to get pounded at Boise and we will lose at Syracuse. The URI game will be a must win or we could easily be looking at a 1 or 2 win season. At 1-3 going into the Cincy game, that's the one that will tell the tale. They're beatable, but our historical record against them is horrific. Win that one in Week 5 and at 2-3 we have a decent shot at exceeding last season's W total.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day at this point it’s about wins and a s s e s in the seats. Dunn’s Offense with a credible D will get you both. I just don’t see Crocker being that guy to run a credible defense..

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
At the end of the day at this point it’s about wins and a s s e s in the seats. Dunn’s Offense with a credible D will get you both. I just don’t see Crocker being that guy to run a credible defense..
No doubt wins fill seats. Short of winning, having a competitive program capable of entertaining is a stepping stone to winning.

I’m also in the camp that says the conference is a problem for attendance because there are no natural rivals. Every game feels like it’s OOC. Winning would help to overcome that to a degree. But there was more intensity to YanCon rivalries and even Yale than there is to this geographic misfit.

Reaction Score
I have to wonder, why did we bring in a guy who runs a specific scheme, only to let him run that scheme in exactly zero out of 13 games so far?

This is not Crocker's defense. It's Randy's.
I do wonder. It looks like we've now gone even further away from what he did at Villanova. Last year people complained because we didn't run a scheme that fit our personnel. Now it looks like we've tried to modify the scheme to our personnel, and it still doesn't matter because we've got freshman CB's getting picked on.

Reaction Score
I have to wonder, why did we bring in a guy who runs a specific scheme, only to let him run that scheme in exactly zero out of 13 games so far?

This is not Crocker's defense. It's Randy's.

After seeing how Crocker's defense played against us several years ago it does make you wonder why it's not being played with abandon here as it was at Villanova. If he could make it work there, why not here? Not enough of the right kind of players yet?

Reaction Score
After seeing how Crocker's defense played against us several years ago it does make you wonder why it's not being played with abandon here as it was at Villanova. If he could make it work there, why not here? Not enough of the right kind of players yet?

We don't have speed at LB and we have young DB's. We will struggle regardless of scheme.

That doesn't change the fact Randy has not let him actually run the scheme that he specializes in. We don't know how well it will work because we've never actually tried it.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it Villanova is actually a good football program. They could compete in the America. I can’t believe Crocker’s d worked there. I honestly think the people we have there on defense just needs more experience and have some faith. Defensive backs need to put there hands up and not have stupid PI calls. Defensive ends need to stay home and run the right angles. Defensive tackles need to put more pressure on the QB. Jones did good last night. I still think Randy will experiment in the next coming games defensively and offensively. Do we need to get rid of Crocker answer is no he just needs to coach the kids and prepare them better than what he did

Reaction Score
Hate to say it Villanova is actually a good football program. They could compete in the America. I can’t believe Crocker’s d worked there. I honestly think the people we have there on defense just needs more experience and have some faith. Defensive backs need to put there hands up and not have stupid PI calls. Defensive ends need to stay home and run the right angles. Defensive tackles need to put more pressure on the QB. Jones did good last night. I still think Randy will experiment in the next coming games defensively and offensively. Do we need to get rid of Crocker answer is no he just needs to coach the kids and prepare them better than what he did

The defense he ran worked at Villanova and isn't the defense he's running here. I think Crocker needs to go but he never should have been brought here if Randy had no plans to run his scheme.

Reaction Score
The defense he ran worked at Villanova and isn't the defense he's running here. I think Crocker needs to go but he never should have been brought here if Randy had no plans to run his scheme.
Randy knows what kind of guys he needs to get for defense. That’s why he always tries to improve DB in recruiting. They need to set quicker when the other team is in hurry up offense. Will we look better in the next coming games I actually think so. Will this team be good sure give it time.

Reaction Score
The defensive struggles is a combo of Crocker and talent level. When Paul gets beat on a deep ball for a TD then that's just a true freshman being outmatched by a high powered offense. But at the same time, there were plenty of plays in which the defensive scheme just wasnt right, and guys were wide open. The amount of 3rd and 5-10 yard situations in which McKensie found someone wide open right around the sticks was frustrating to watch. That's where I think Crocker needs to make up a little ground, doing a better job in certain situations and putting guys in the best spot to make a play.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The defensive struggles is a combo of Crocker and talent level. When Paul gets beat on a deep ball for a TD then that's just a true freshman being outmatched by a high powered offense. But at the same time, there were plenty of plays in which the defensive scheme just wasnt right, and guys were wide open. The amount of 3rd and 5-10 yard situations in which McKensie found someone wide open right around the sticks was frustrating to watch. That's where I think Crocker needs to make up a little ground, doing a better job in certain situations and putting guys in the best spot to make a play.

It's tough on inexperienced DBs when you get zero pressure on a talented passer. They can't cover the entire secondary for several seconds without somebody getting open. It becomes a game of easy pitch and catch.

Reaction Score
It's tough on inexperienced DBs when you get zero pressure on a talented passer. They can't cover the entire secondary for several seconds without somebody getting open. It becomes a game of easy pitch and catch.

We blitzed 4-5 times last night. The result was 2 touchdowns, a dropped pass, and 2 deep completions.

Reaction Score
We don't have speed at LB and we have young DB's. We will struggle regardless of scheme.

That doesn't change the fact Randy has not let him actually run the scheme that he specializes in. We don't know how well it will work because we've never actually tried it.

What’s the worst that can happen if they actually try running the system he had at Villanova?
Do they thing the opposing team will score on every possession?
THATS ALREADY HAPPENING!!!!

Let the guy do what he was brought in here to do?

I fear Randy is going reverting to boring Randy again.
ADD brought in Lashlee to spice it up and Randy is slowly going back to Randy ball.

Reaction Score
Freshmen all over the nation will contribute productively in every program throughout the world of college football.
@TouchdownHusky After another of your "Stop please" remarks, how many of those freshmen you reference are also true freshmen and play on a team with the nation's youngest and consequently least experienced 2-deep? You knew that right? Big difference with sliding 1 or maybe even 2 much higher recruited true or redshirt freshmen into a much higher recruited 4th & 5th year dominated 2 deep.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is so out of his league. Randy needs to take over the D. The D is NEVER ... EVER in the right spots. It’s embarrassing.
Would be nice if we were able to scrimmage say ALABAMA during camp... I think it would've helped our youth be better prepared on D.... We probably would've still lost, but it would've been way more respectable...

Reaction Score
“I expect the freshman to step up against a heisman trophy candidate”... unreal.

UCF is one of the best teams in the country. I tip the cap to them because they’re moving the conference forward, not to mention the recruits they are getting now.

Having the freshman get this exposure on the first game of their careers is a perfect way to start the season in my opinion.

Stay hungry fellas! Our time will come!

Reaction Score
UCF is probably an underrated team in its #21 ranking. I can easily see them moving into the top 10. They are big, fast and skilled. A closer game would have been nice but this rout was not surprising. Have faith.
Indeed, big, fast and skilled. Plus, markedly more experienced. 4 rather important advantages.

Unsurprising result, pick up the pieces, learn from mistakes (coaching and player) and a 1st game of college ball for many players, and move forward. Boise State with its' highly acclaimed QB awaits ...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crocker coaches scared. You can blame it on the talent level all you want, but then whose fault is that? If you're gonna get pasted anyway, at least go down with all your guns blazing.

Whose fault is it? Crocker is part of a staff that just finished its first full recruiting cycle. You think it's his?

Reaction Score
Hate to say it Villanova is actually a good football program. They could compete in the America
Game-in, game-out over a full-season with a 65-man scholarship roster generally consisting on average of smaller, lower recruited, less athletic, etc players? Not so likely!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom