Congratulations | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Congratulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You guys are amazing on defense and we need to learn how to move more and pass the ball. I'm glad we'll be playing at least twice more in the regular season.

Thank you for the kind words. They are appreciated. It's a lot of fun being a WCBB fan in general, and a UConn fan specifically. Your program has been on the rise since Staley's arrival. You have a lot to be excited about in the weeks to come. Your fan base is amazing. 18,000 strong showed up to vigorously support your girls last night. That's impressive.

I expect to see your Gamecocks in Indianapolis along with Baylor, Notre Dame and UConn. I don't think anyone can beat you guys before then. Best of luck to your program going forward.

Reaction Score
Great game tonight from the Huskies. There's still a very obvious large gap between UCONN and SC that I can only hope will get smaller in years to come as we continue playing. I'm glad the series was renewed by the way. I actually found out today that I got a job in Connecticut, so maybe I'll make it to Storrs next season.

SC is not the most sharp offensive team but UCONN did a terrific job taking away what little rhythm we could generate. We were passing the ball around the perimeter 20 feet from basket with no idea where to place the ball. In order for us to take that next step we must cut better, screen better, shoot better and pass better. We have a long way to go. The Huskies do such a good job pressuring the ball and taking away your first, second and third option. Stewart and Jefferson had good games tonight but from my vantage point, Tuck was AMAZING tonight. She completely took Alaina Coates out of the game.

Anytime you hold the #1 offensive team in the country to 66 points then you have a pretty good defensive team yourself!

Reaction Score
When Wilson went out the rest of the ream played better; maybe they defer to her too much.
When Wilson came back in for the 4th quarter, South Carolina beat us 21-12. How many times have we given up 20+ points in a quarter this season?

Reaction Score
Great game tonight from the Huskies. There's still a very obvious large gap between UCONN and SC that I can only hope will get smaller in years to come as we continue playing. I'm glad the series was renewed by the way. I actually found out today that I got a job in Connecticut, so maybe I'll make it to Storrs next season.

SC is not the most sharp offensive team but UCONN did a terrific job taking away what little rhythm we could generate. We were passing the ball around the perimeter 20 feet from basket with no idea where to place the ball. In order for us to take that next step we must cut better, screen better, shoot better and pass better. We have a long way to go. The Huskies do such a good job pressuring the ball and taking away your first, second and third option. Stewart and Jefferson had good games tonight but from my vantage point, Tuck was AMAZING tonight. She completely took Alaina Coates out of the game.
One of the entries on a Boneyarder's resume' is the qualification "women's college basketball fan", and you are a good one. So while we won't be joining you to cheer against our girls, or for yours, we'll look forward to seeing you at Gampel, the XL Center, Mohegan Sun, Bridgeport, or The Garden next year.

Personally I think that the non-Huskie fans that contribute here often bring an important perspective to the discussions at hand, and hearing( through an intermediary), from Columbia, South Bend, Knoxville, Palo Alto, Waco, or College Park is always entertaining.

Now good luck driving to work once you get here.

Reaction Score
When Wilson came back in for the 4th quarter, South Carolina beat us 21-12. How many times have we given up 20+ points in a quarter this season?

In the fourth quarter, we knew we won because no team has come from 20 pts down in 10 minutes to beat UConn. Everyone can see that Geno has instructed the guards to slow down and milk the clock to end the game.
They no longer ran up and down the court as fast as they could as in the other quarters. Colgate also beat UConn in the 4th quarter when they played.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure about that. We'll definitely miss the undisbuted GOAT Stewie and Mojeff, but believe me Kia will not let us loose if the future is in her hands.
Agree "undisbuted" GOAT, but not "undisputed" :D

HGN

Reaction Score
You guys are amazing on defense and we need to learn how to move more and pass the ball. I'm glad we'll be playing at least twice more in the regular season.
Cockhrnleghrn , thanks for the compliment.........The Huskies played well for 3 quarters. By the 4th qtr it was out of reasonable reach for SC. The Gamecocks had played a few games earlier where they had gotten behind and came back. But I had stated to you that a crowd of 18,000 would not help you if you fell behind by double digits playing the Huskies.

The game was good for WCBB no matter the outcome. And I give Coach Staley a lot of credit for taking the game. Many coaches refuse to take a game against UConn. Next year may yield a different outcome with Stewie and Jefferson graduating. So we will enjoy this victory while we can.

Put a hungry dog , like a Big Husky , in a coop of fowl he will have chicken for dinner every time............At least last night they did.

Reaction Score
In the fourth quarter, we knew we won because no team has come from 20 pts down in 10 minutes to beat UConn. Everyone can see that Geno has instructed the guards to slow down and milk the clock to end the game.
They no longer ran up and down the court as fast as they could as in the other quarters. Colgate also beat UConn in the 4th quarter when they played.
South Carolina cut the lead to single digits midway through the 4th quarter after having been down 21 in the prior quarter. Against our starters. Being down 9 with 6 to play does not mean the game is over. Our team routinely practices down 10 with 2 to play scenarios. How many was Stanford down when they came back to beat us last year, 13? I'm glad we won (obviously) and Geno has all the confidence in the world, but from an entertainment standpoint, which is what these games are, I hope the 4th quarter strategy is something we don't see employed again.

Reaction Score

8 times: Ohio State 3rd quarter, DePaul 1st quarter, Notre Dame 2nd and 4th quarter, Colgate 4th quarter, Maryland 4th quarter, UCF 4th quarter, South Carolina 4th quarter.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
If they lose Coates, that will be a major improvement for SCU. They might have won last night without her. Can't see why Dawn starts her.
Mainly because vs most opponents her size and physicality are quite useful. She is a liability vs teams like UConn because she is extremely one dimensional. Once you move her way from the basket or make her have to work harder than normal she becomes extremely ineffective, basically the same story as last year. She has no way of creating a shot for herself like Wilson so if the guards can't get her the ball on offense in a position where she can be effective (right under the basket) she can't really help there unless she gets offensive rebounds and put backs. On the defensive end Stewart and Tuck just have better footwork. She couldn't guard Tuck on the perimeter and she couldn't match her speed running back in transition either. Put it this way.... skill will beat size 99% of the time, unless you have a Griner-esque size advantage, which she does not. None of that changes the fact that she will like continue to dominate in the SEC. That style of ball appeals to what she has to offer. This type of opponent however will never be her cup of tea with her current skill set. I have seen in recent games where she is trying to expand that, so I am sure she knows where she can improve.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
By the way cockhrnleghrn they said Wilson re-injured the lower leg that she had injured earlier. But they didn't specify exactly what the injury was?? Bad job by ESPN. What did she have? Stress fracture, tendonitis, muscle problem?

It was shin splints. She has had problems with her shins going back to high school. She's just always been able to play through it.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Congratulations on the job! Where in Ct will you be?

I'll be living in West Hartford more than likely. This actually won't be my first time living in Connecticut... I was there for my internship last February to April.

Reaction Score
I'll be living in West Hartford more than likely. This actually won't be my first time living in Connecticut... I was there for my internship last February to April.
Perhaps you'll be neighbors with CD.

Reaction Score
South Carolina cut the lead to single digits midway through the 4th quarter after having been down 21 in the prior quarter. Against our starters. Being down 9 with 6 to play does not mean the game is over. Our team routinely practices down 10 with 2 to play scenarios. How many was Stanford down when they came back to beat us last year, 13? I'm glad we won (obviously) and Geno has all the confidence in the world, but from an entertainment standpoint, which is what these games are, I hope the 4th quarter strategy is something we don't see employed again.

Don't know where you got the single-digit difference from. UConn was up 15 with 6 to go, then increased that to 19 with 4 to go. I agree, though, that I don't like the slowing-the-game down strategy. Though, the starters may have been getting tired.

Reaction Score
Don't know where you got the single-digit difference from. UConn was up 15 with 6 to go, then increased that to 19 with 4 to go. I agree, though, that I don't like the slowing-the-game down strategy. Though, the starters may have been getting tired.
Yeah I must have imagined that (from the 1st half) because upon further review of the play by play it never got that close.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

Where I grew up. Enjoy. Still have a brother there if you are looking for a connection. If so, p.m. me. He and our other brother are going to the Final Four this year.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Where I grew up. Enjoy. Still have a brother there if you are looking for a connection. If so, p.m. me. He and our other brother are going to the Final Four this year.

I'll definitely keep this in mind! Thanks!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FWIW, South Carolina fans were easily the best and most fun fans I've met (in Birmingham for a bowl game) during my UConn sports travels.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
FWIW, South Carolina fans were easily the best and most fun fans I've met (in Birmingham for a bowl game) during my UConn sports travels.

Lol, that was a terrible bowl lost for us. I'm glad you didn't run into any sour gamecocks..

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
We won by 10, by 10, by 12 against top teams. Since those are not overwhelming victories, it gives hope to others and adds to the excitement of the upcoming nationals
In two of those games UCONN let up (ND, SC) on offense and coasted to the finish. Not so in the Maryland game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom