Congratulations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Congratulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Sad that Wilson got hurt. Hope she is fine going forward. Sad before that Mitchell got hurt few days ago. If Wilson and Mitchell are health, there is a good bet UCONN, ND and USC will be there in the end.
Plus, Dozier was out.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
You guys are amazing on defense and we need to learn how to move more and pass the ball. I'm glad we'll be playing at least twice more in the regular season.

So did Geno look back at you while you were razzing him? It was pretty loud, must have been tough to be heard. Great atmosphere.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
By the way cockhrnleghrn they said Wilson re-injured the lower leg that she had injured earlier. But they didn't specify exactly what the injury was?? Bad job by ESPN. What did she have? Stress fracture, tendonitis, muscle problem?

Reaction Score
You guys are amazing on defense and we need to learn how to move more and pass the ball. I'm glad we'll be playing at least twice more in the regular season.
Could not agree with you more but I will say much to your displeasure I am sure, what we have right now is better coaching. This is much the same of what you are saying. At least twice in the game Dawn should have called a time out to explain to her team there is no reason for one player to take the ball the length of the court with defenders back. This and to take a now weak legged shot over the back board or throw up an air ball.
With 18,000 in the house at home she preferred to ride the refs rather than coach her team, when even a laymen knows you already have them in pocket.
Stats were pretty even other than assists like you said.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400834771
She will get better with time as she has but tonight was a good game for her to watch and realize, would I have accomplished more by yelling (over the crowd) at my players or the officials? You said it well her time would be better spent teaching the team how to pass the ball.
Good luck down the road and keep promoting the game. See you @ the Final Four! :)

Reaction Score
Mo and Stewie scored 37 of our 64 points. Unless you're plugging in those two spots with Steph Curry and LeBron, we lose without Stewie and Mo. The Kia+KLS+Gabby+Collier combo gave us all of 13 points tonight. Heck, without Tuck we probably lose tonight. You saw what the team looked like without her in the game.

You realize you can play differently from year-to-year, right? You realize the players you speak of - are not supposed to shoot a lot this year, right? What were you saying when UCONN faced ND a 4th time four years ago? IMO it is off-the-wall to think how you are thinking. Leading up to next year's game there is going to be a completely different mind set for the players you mentioned- and number of shots taken etc from the entire team-- next year. They would have been practicing and playing 2/3 of the season. So to look at how USC is structured now yet not considering how two of UONN's freshmen that were outstanding h/s players will probably get their soph jump is short-sighted imo.

So many things for UConn next year - for example, I think Cuevas is very overrated. If Chong is healthy - she can outplay her. And with Mitchell gone, suppose KLS finds her 3pt shot next year? Who guards her? If she finds her shot, she is an all-american type of player next year, playing with A LOT of confidence. Not this "kid" we saw tonight. And you want to disregard that and just look at her frosh year playing a terrific team in a terrific environment and project KLS will be the same?

But you are a UCONN fan/ aren't you? Just like many of us on here - you have seen some sensational turnarounds from top tier recruits - haven't you such as with Stewie? Heck even MoJeff from her frosh year and each year subsequent. Heck last year after the ND game she turned into a something outrageously great. She was 0-8 from the floor, had 5 fouls and had just 2 assists vs 5 turnovers. Since that game she has been super hasn't she? SO hy are you projecting these young player's game for next year in such a negative light when you generally see when Geno gets top tier recruits he turns them into something really really really really good?

They did what they were supposed to do tonight. Once Wilson went out game was over. We rode our Big 3 and Nurse hit a couple of 3's. Gabby/KLS and NV battled. I thought NC struggled the most - bt tto hold the other team- it meant our young players also had to play very good d too. Would it be different if they let their man score 6 more points while they scored 6 more each too?

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
By the way cockhrnleghrn they said Wilson re-injured the lower leg that she had injured earlier. But they didn't specify exactly what the injury was?? Bad job by ESPN. What did she have? Stress fracture, tendonitis, muscle problem?

She has had problems with shin splints all season.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
So did Geno look back at you while you were razzing him? It was pretty loud, must have been tough to be heard. Great atmosphere.

I told him that Sicily is a nice vacation spot for early April, but he didn't take the bait. He had to have heard me, though. He's not as raz-worthy as some other coaches like Matthew Mitchell, who I abhor. One of my chants that I use is "can't shoot free throws" before an opposing player shoots. Matt Insell (Ole Miss) turned around a couple of weeks ago and said, "yes she can". The player missed 1 of 2, though.

Reaction Score

Seemed to me the Cockytalk posters are happy with the 12 point loss.
They talked about making up the difference when the two teams meet again.
No mention of the Huskies playing to kill time in the 4th quarter.
Were the SCAR fans able to discern this?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Could not agree with you more but I will say much to your displeasure I am sure, what we have right now is better coaching. This is much the same of what you are saying. At least twice in the game Dawn should have called a time out to explain to her team there is no reason for one player to take the ball the length of the court with defenders back. This and to take a now weak legged shot over the back board or throw up an air ball.
With 18,000 in the house at home she preferred to ride the refs rather than coach her team, when even a laymen knows you already have them in pocket.
She will get better with time as she has but tonight was a good game for her to watch and realize, would I have accomplished more by yelling (over the crowd) at my players or the officials? You said it well her time would be better spent teaching the team how to pass the ball.
Good luck down the road and keep promoting the game. See you @ the Final Four! :)

Dawn repeatedly tells them to pass the ball, she said it on a "mic'd up" segment twice during a recent game. I'm just a fan - all I can do is show them love, ride the refs and try and distract the opposing coaches and players.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Seemed to me the Cockytalk posters are happy with the 12 point loss.
They talked about making up the difference when the two teams meet again.
No mention of the Huskies playing to kill time in the 4th quarter.
Were the SCAR fans able to discern this?

I'm not happy with any loss; I can't speak for anyone else. Many of the posters on CT don't go to the women's games, I'm one of the few.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
She has had problems with shin splints all season.

Oh man that can be a pain alright. I had those and it led to tendonitis from favoring it. Hope it calms down for her. Great talent.
An intense game like tonight can sure flare it up.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'm not happy with any loss; I can't speak for anyone else. Many of the posters on CT don't go to the women's games, I'm one of the few.

Wow, there were 18K at the game. There must be more than a few that post on the board?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Wow, there were 18K at the game. There must be more than a few that post on the board?
I was thinking the other day that we are missing a frequent poster from SCAR. Don't remember his name. Posted all the time last year.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

I can only think of a few that I know go to games from CT. That is only one of several Gamecock message boards, though.

^Thanks, VA Huskie.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Great game tonight from the Huskies. There's still a very obvious large gap between UCONN and SC that I can only hope will get smaller in years to come as we continue playing. I'm glad the series was renewed by the way. I actually found out today that I got a job in Connecticut, so maybe I'll make it to Storrs next season.

SC is not the most sharp offensive team but UCONN did a terrific job taking away what little rhythm we could generate. We were passing the ball around the perimeter 20 feet from basket with no idea where to place the ball. In order for us to take that next step we must cut better, screen better, shoot better and pass better. We have a long way to go. The Huskies do such a good job pressuring the ball and taking away your first, second and third option. Stewart and Jefferson had good games tonight but from my vantage point, Tuck was AMAZING tonight. She completely took Alaina Coates out of the game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The big winner tonight has taken a lot of hits from a lot of challengers over the years. But I think overall a great day. Of course that winner was Women's Basketball. We need more eyes on this sport and I'm glad ESPN made it front and center. Congratulations to both teams involved. Go huskies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FWIW, I'm very impressed Staley. She is working hard to have a program that can compete with us. You guys worry me. I guess that's a good thing.

Reaction Score
I don't agree that she'll get better with time. She's been coaching for a considerable length of time and I think she's a far better recruiter than she is a head coach. She's a decent coach but SC is a very limited offensive team. I don't think anything has changed over the last few years except that maybe they've gotten better and better talent and much more athletic bigs but their offense has been mediocre forever. Todays game was close only because the Huskies took their foot off the gas and UConn's defense loosened up a bit. UConn was doing a little too much coasting to satisfy me and I felt that they should have won by much closer to 25 than to their final point spread.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Dawn repeatedly tells them to pass the ball, she said it on a "mic'd up" segment twice during a recent game. I'm just a fan - all I can do is show them love, ride the refs and try and distract the opposing coaches and players.
you cant rebound, make free throws or throw it into the paint for the bigs?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Great game tonight from the Huskies. There's still a very obvious large gap between UCONN and SC that I can only hope will get smaller in years to come as we continue playing. I'm glad the series was renewed by the way. I actually found out today that I got a job in Connecticut, so maybe I'll make it to Storrs next season.

SC is not the most sharp offensive team but UCONN did a terrific job taking away what little rhythm we could generate. We were passing the ball around the perimeter 20 feet from basket with no idea where to place the ball. In order for us to take that next step we must cut better, screen better, shoot better and pass better. We have a long way to go. The Huskies do such a good job pressuring the ball and taking away your first, second and third option. Stewart and Jefferson had good games tonight but from my vantage point, Tuck was AMAZING tonight. She completely took Alaina Coates out of the game.

Congratulations on the job! Where in Ct will you be?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I could tell they were tight in warm ups and you guys were loose. I can't say that was the reason we lost, but it was a contributing factor. I know they really wanted to do well for their home fans tonight.
Sometimes a huge crowd is a double edge sword. So Carolina may have been too jazzed up and trying just a bit too hard instead of letting the game come to them.

I saw an article in a So Carolina newspaper that said the Huskies have never seen such a large crowd on the road. Um, in recent years, UConn has played at sold out Stanford, Notre Dame and Louisville, among other venues, not to mention assorted NCAA tournament games. A recent article from a CT paper quoted Morgan Tuck as saying UConn loves big crowds, that they love feeding off the energy. I think your sell out actually helped the Huskies more than it helped the Gamecocks.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
We won by 10, by 10, by 12 against top teams. Since those are not overwhelming victories, it gives hope to others and adds to the excitement of the upcoming nationals

Reaction Score
Don't sell us short. They lose a lot too.
If they lose Coates, that will be a major improvement for SCU. They might have won last night without her. Can't see why Dawn starts her.

Reaction Score
You realize you can play differently from year-to-year, right? You realize the players you speak of - are not supposed to shoot a lot this year, right? What were you saying when UCONN faced ND a 4th time four years ago? IMO it is off-the-wall to think how you are thinking. Leading up to next year's game there is going to be a completely different mind set for the players you mentioned- and number of shots taken etc from the entire team-- next year. They would have been practicing and playing 2/3 of the season. So to look at how USC is structured now yet not considering how two of UONN's freshmen that were outstanding h/s players will probably get their soph jump is short-sighted imo.

So many things for UConn next year - for example, I think Cuevas is very overrated. If Chong is healthy - she can outplay her. And with Mitchell gone, suppose KLS finds her 3pt shot next year? Who guards her? If she finds her shot, she is an all-american type of player next year, playing with A LOT of confidence. Not this "kid" we saw tonight. And you want to disregard that and just look at her frosh year playing a terrific team in a terrific environment and project KLS will be the same?

But you are a UCONN fan/ aren't you? Just like many of us on here - you have seen some sensational turnarounds from top tier recruits - haven't you such as with Stewie? Heck even MoJeff from her frosh year and each year subsequent. Heck last year after the ND game she turned into a something outrageously great. She was 0-8 from the floor, had 5 fouls and had just 2 assists vs 5 turnovers. Since that game she has been super hasn't she? SO hy are you projecting these young player's game for next year in such a negative light when you generally see when Geno gets top tier recruits he turns them into something really really really really good?

They did what they were supposed to do tonight. Once Wilson went out game was over. We rode our Big 3 and Nurse hit a couple of 3's. Gabby/KLS and NV battled. I thought NC struggled the most - bt tto hold the other team- it meant our young players also had to play very good d too. Would it be different if they let their man score 6 more points while they scored 6 more each too?
When Wilson went out the rest of the ream played better; maybe they defer to her too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom