Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
SBJ podcast was interesting. They cover expansion right at the beginning. Business analysts have a completely different view on expansion than sports reporters. For those that can't listen to it at home, SBJ likes UConn and Houston as the only 2 additions, and they were lukewarm on Houston.

I don't think there is any way that Houston makes the cut for a 2 team expansion.

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk Smith believes that the B-12 will expand by 2 and that it will be Houston and UConn. He said that it has shown the nasty underbelly of College Athletics with schools showing a willingness to take less to take long term benefit of being in the B-12. 2 schools will be added instead of 4...He believes that UConn brings a few things that the others don't..1) "they own and dominate their footprint" 2) Bringing UConn opens up new revenue territory to the B-12 brands...he has said this before in XM/Sirius College Sports Radio. As for Houston they are a geographic fit. If he was going to handicap it right now Houston is 1 and UConn is 2. BYU will get some consideration. Understand that these guys are coming at this from the business side of things...and that they most likely have significant contacts with the 2 research firms the B-12 hired to collect metric data.

Reaction Score
SBJ podcast was interesting. They cover expansion right at the beginning. Business analysts have a completely different view on expansion than sports reporters. For those that can't listen to it at home, SBJ likes UConn and Houston as the only 2 additions, and they were lukewarm on Houston.

I don't think there is any way that Houston makes the cut for a 2 team expansion.
But he did say if he was handicapping it right now Houston was 1 and UConn was 2. It's BYU that they really don't find passes the smell test.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk Smith believes that the B-12 will expand by 2 and that it will be Houston and UConn. He said that it has shown the nasty underbelly of College Athletics with schools showing a willingness to take less to take long term benefit of being in the B-12. 2 schools will be added instead of 4...He believes that UConn brings a few things that the others don't..1) "they own and dominate their footprint" 2) Bringing UConn opens up new revenue territory to the B-12 brands...he has said this before in XM/Sirius College Sports Radio. As for Houston they are a geographic fit. If he was going to handicap it right now Houston is 1 and UConn is 2. BYU will get some consideration. Understand that these guys are coming at this from the business side of things...and that they most likely have significant contacts with the 2 research firms the B-12 hired to collect metric data.

Thanks. Posted in the thread itself by accident thinking it was Key Tweets and It's all gone to hell.

Reaction Score
So can we use the sports business journal guys to quiet down all the so called "experts" who say we dont "own and dominate" our market.
I would say yes...and you know they get their figures from groups like Navigate and Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures. That's the interesting thing about SBJ...they bring a whole other angle to CR...the side that is all about the $$$.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But he did say if he was handicapping it right now Houston was 1 and UConn was 2. It's BYU that they really don't find passes the smell test.

I like to see that. Most of the twitter and forum fanboys think BYU is a slam-dunk. They forget the key rule, think like a University President, not a fan or an AD or a sportswriter. When you do that, BYU starts losing ground quickly. It had warts even before the Honor Code came up.

Reaction Score
Funny how smart money has UConn in, and idiot internet hacks completely dismiss us.
The difference between hard facts as they relate to $$ and a person's opinion.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They are not wrong, but they have no more inside information than we do.

This kind of thing is also over the head of most of the voices you hear coming out of the XII.

I also think UH isn't happening at 12. That doesn't get a GOR done.

Reaction Score
this is among the first times UCONN has been mentioned as a 1/2 pick without naming CINCY. A good development....
Yes..although Smith has picked UConn before when he was interviewed on Sirius/XM College Sports radio. He has been consistent in his reasoning too...using the market capture and gateway to NYC market/DMA. The difference here was when I heard him on Sirius/XM it was UConn/Cincy...now it's Houston as his #1 handicap pick with UConn as #2. That speaks volumes to what is going on politically in TX.

Reaction Score
They are not wrong, but they have no more inside information than we do.

This kind of thing is also over the head of most of the voices you hear coming out of the XII.

I also think UH isn't happening at 12. That doesn't get a GOR done.
You think UT is going to sign a GOR extension? As for SBJ and SMith's predictions...he is basing his opinion off of the research from Navigate and Belivaqua Helfant Ventures. He is taking the data they collected and applying it to what the B-12 has said they will use for a selection criteria. IMHO SBJ and those 2 research companies have a direct relationship. It only makes sense since they are basically running in the same business circles. Is it the same as one of the quacks on twitter with "sources"...who knows who or what their sources are. But so far Tramel and Bohls are the few B12 beat guys who speak highly of UConn...and Tramel has brought up the same points that Smith is using here.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You think UT is going to sign a GOR extension?

I think it is the only way the networks pony up the cash for 4 teams. They'll write it as a look-in with some meaningless cash number that the B12 can reopen if they others get too far ahead.

Reaction Score
I think it is the only way the networks pony up the cash for 4 teams. They'll write it as a look-in with some meaningless cash number that the B12 can reopen if they others get too far ahead.
I will be shocked if they take 4

Reaction Score
I like to see that. Most of the twitter and forum fanboys think BYU is a slam-dunk. They forget the key rule, think like a University President, not a fan or an AD or a sportswriter. When you do that, BYU starts losing ground quickly. It had warts even before the Honor Code came up.

We have a fine example from the ACC however of how university presidents operate when it coms to sports. Most university presidents don't have a clue about this stuff, and they are easily convinced. Duke and Virginia's pres's were convinced about Louisville, etc.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Why?

If you take two and one of which is Houston you are ceding even more power to the Texas block. I don't see that happening. If Houston is the price of expansion, it's got to be 4.

Yes. Agree.

But what if Texas backs off on Houston? The networks don't want any expansion and can barely stomach two. Four seems a stretch at this point.

Reaction Score
Yes. Agree.

But what if Texas backs off on Houston? The networks don't want any expansion and can barely stomach two. Four seems a stretch at this point.

It comes down to whether certain Texas politicians are actually making a power play, or just threatening to do so . . .

Reaction Score
Why?

If you take two and one of which is Houston you are ceding even more power to the Texas block. I don't see that happening. If Houston is the price of expansion, it's got to be 4.
2 things I don't see..GOR extension and not expanding by more than 4. I can't see UT signing a GOR extension what-so-ever and unless Houston gets in they will get the Texas schools to vote down any and all candidates. I think no expansion is more likely than 4.

Reaction Score
From my vantage point, I'm hearing that Texas will:
not sign a GOR
will half-assedly push for UofH and
will kill expansion if annoyed

Just reporting. Not defending. Thought you might want to know.
Is support of Houston and killing expansion tied together?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure support of Houston is tied to killing expansion. A month ago I was afraid it might be, but today I'm not so sure. The buzz today is that it's mostly lip service and the appearance of due diligence.

But never underestimate Texas hubris.
So basically you are saying if they seem to support UH then they get their Houston Campus even if Houston doesn't get in...ie: "We did all we could do and tried our hardest"
What's your take on Carlton and Bohls? One seems to reluctantly admit UConn is in the mix (Carlton)..the other seems to have come around and said that UConn is a legit candidate (Bohls)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom