Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I honestly don't know enough, but I do know they have suspended high profile athletes at key times for honor code violations which were said to be heterosexual sex instances. Compare that to what happened at Baylor or Penn State where rapes were covered up.

There is something honorable about not making exceptions on your core beliefs in instances where it would be beneficial to the university to do so.

And yes I admit that I can be naive to a fault.
They do kick out students for premarital sex, and were alleged to have a predilection to kick out athletes of color for (heterosexual) premarital sex. But my question was about non-sexual, same-sex relationships. I would wager in a super conservative place where they have basically secret police running around writing up students for honor code violations, they probably operate on a hair trigger when it comes to same sex relationships.

Reaction Score
They do kick out students for premarital sex, and were alleged to have a predilection to kick out athletes of color for (heterosexual) premarital sex. But my question was about non-sexual, same-sex relationships. I would wager in a super conservative place where they have basically secret police running around writing up students for honor code violations, they probably operate on a hair trigger when it comes to same sex relationships.
A non sexual relationship same sex, or otherwise, isn't that a "friendship"?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
A non sexual relationship same sex, or otherwise, isn't that a "friendship"?
Call it whatever you want, but the point stands that it may not be equal treatment. They've already demonstrated that with students of color at that school.

Reaction Score
Call it whatever you want, but the point stands that it may not be equal treatment. They've already demonstrated that with students of color at that school.
I don't get what you're getting at here. BYU has issues over platonic relationships? In particular with people of color?

Some of this sounds like piling on.

Reaction Score
I don't get what you're getting at here. BYU has issues over platonic relationships? In particular with people of color?

No. I think the point is that while premarital sex is not allowed by anyone, a straight student would be allowed to date and have a significant other (without sex), but not the case with a gay student.

While I personally have a problem with this, I do believe BYU as a private school is entitled to set an honor code and other rules that do not violate the law. A student can simply decide to choose to go somewhere else (which may not be simple to an 18 year old who has been raised a Mormon).

But a conference can also decide if they want to associate with an institution that has anti-gay policies, an honor code that seems to excuse sexual assault if the victim violates the honor code, and with a school that will not play on Sunday.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It really seems like BYU is perfectly happy doing their own EFFED up stuff. Why even join a conference?

Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts, but I stand by my original post since I had links to support my positions. Show me the evidence to support geography not being a negative for UCONN consideration in the PAC or SEC. Here is an example of why it is a factor for the Big 12. Cincinnati, according to the buzz, is a lock for the Big 12. Why Cincinnati over UCONN? We are better athletically, academically, financially, with a larger TV market and better facilities. We are a state flagship school that owns our state. UC doesn't own southern Ohio. Why UC? Because they are the least bad football option in Big 12 territory.
Why Cincinnati over UConn? Because they advertised and lobbied aggressively to put themselves out there. Took a page out of Louisville's playbook with an aggressive president and AD. We are not better than them financially. They have over a billion dollar endowment. No sitting back and waiting for a phone call. I believe geography is not an issue. One the plane is in the air, it makes no difference.

Reaction Score
No. I think the point is that while premarital sex is not allowed by anyone, a straight student would be allowed to date and have a significant other (without sex), but not the case with a gay student.

While I personally have a problem with this, I do believe BYU as a private school is entitled to set an honor code and other rules that do not violate the law. A student can simply decide to choose to go somewhere else (which may not be simple to an 18 year old who has been raised a Mormon).

But a conference can also decide if they want to associate with an institution that has anti-gay policies, an honor code that seems to excuse sexual assault if the victim violates the honor code, and with a school that will not play on Sunday.
Everything you posted is fair.

I think BYU's big12 candidacy is done over this, too much heat. But I do think this another example where not giving in to group think is used to ostracize. Your point about everyone knowing about the honor code before is a good one. If it's not agreeable to you don't go there. Instead it becomes because you have an,honor code we don't agree with and refused to change we want you to be punished.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It really seems like BYU is perfectly happy doing their own EFFED up stuff. Why even join a conference?
Put your hand in your pocket and take out your wallet. The answer to your question is millions of that green papery cotton rectangles which reside within.

Reaction Score
Why Cincinnati over UConn? Because they advertised and lobbied aggressively to put themselves out there. Took a page out of Louisville's playbook with an aggressive president and AD. We are not better than them financially. They have over a billion dollar endowment. No sitting back and waiting for a phone call. I believe geography is not an issue. One the plane is in the air, it makes no difference.
Our athletic department dwarfs theirs. And I highly doubt that their "aggressiveness" is anything that puts them in a better position. Smaller schools like Memphis and UCF have been just as, if not more, aggressive than Cincy. It's likely not gonna make them more appealing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Geography matters. Not so much in travel time, but in that the Big XII very much views itself as a midwestern league. Ohio qualifies. Connecticut does not. As a guy who went to KU from CT, they referred to New England as "back east" along with NY/NJ. I had a professor try to draw an analogy by referencing the rules of hockey (as something nobody understood) then I coughed politely and he said...oh yeah, except that guy.

In our favor, they also very much favor big land grant universities, not urban schools. And we are the only one that fits. Unfortunately, I suspect that the average fan and even many writers, assume that UConn is stuck in some densely populated urban area, when it's in a smaller town than any school in the Big 12.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

They kicked out black athletes for having s ex with white women who comprise most of the BYU female stident body.

The rape victim thing is also true. They also kick people out for drinking caffeine and all sorts of other "Honor code violations". It wants to be both a fundementalist religious school, they call these madrases in other parts of the world, and be a mainstream participant in the NCAA. Something governed by title IX.

Opinions on the Mormon faith are irrelevant as is their mission as a promoter of that religion. In this country, a piblic institution is required to respect the rights of citizens.

We know return you to your FB and CR disccussion.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

They do have an enviable endowment, but they don't spend it on athletics. Here is an article about their "debt-ridden" athletic department.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Let's not forget that because of the missions they are required to do, it isn't rare for a BYU football player to be a 25 yo married man playing against 18-21 year olds. Not exactly a level playing field. A lot of physical (and mental) development happens during those years.

Reaction Score
They kicked out black athletes for having s ex with white women who comprise most of the BYU female stident body.

The rape victim thing is also true. They also kick people out for drinking caffeine and all sorts of other "Honor code violations". It wants to be both a fundementalist religious school, they call these madrases in other parts of the world, and be a mainstream participant in the NCAA. Something governed by title IX.

Opinions on the Mormon faith are irrelevant as is their mission as a promoter of that religion. In this country, a piblic institution is required to respect the rights of citizens.

We know return you to your FB and CR disccussion.
But they are private institution and as such can establish criteria/rules for membership i.e. their honor code.

If they dismissed black athletes for pre marital sexual relations while not doing the same to white athletes that is effed up. Nothing and I mean nothing pisses me off more than selective implementation of rules/laws. That the governors kid is cut a break on,his bag check in while you or I get stripped to our underware is BS.

Reaction Score
FWIW

Earlier today I met with a very high placed person at UConn. Of course I asked about the CR status and was told that everyone in Herbst administration is being VERY tight lipped. Not surprisingly, I confirmed that we are indeed being vetted, and that NDAs have been signed.

I was told that while the outcome is still unknown (obviously), we are doing (and have been doing) "all the right tings". Which is definitely NOT what we were doing the last time around.

I also expressed my personal concern that while we may score well on the objective metrics, there is no way to analyze/evaluate the political angle and that I was worried about the talk of Texas governor involvement, etc. I was told that I'd be surprised to know who has been advocating on behalf of UConn and it's not just the current Governor. I wasn't told names, but the infernece was "former high ranking politicians".

The net-net of the discussion was that while we may not be certain how this will shake out, we can be certain that unlike last time, we are clearly doing this the right way and putting a full court press on -- despite what you may or may not hear in public.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Nothing and I mean nothing pisses me off more than selective implementation of rules/laws.
Except in this case, where you've repeatedly implied that you think discrimination against LGBTQ folks is a-ok.

Reaction Score
FWIW

Earlier today I met with a very high placed person at UConn. Of course I asked about the CR status and was told that everyone in Herbst administration is being VERY tight lipped. Not surprisingly, I confirmed that we are indeed being vetted, and that NDAs have been signed.

I was told that while the outcome is still unknown (obviously), we are doing (and have been doing) "all the right tings". Which is definitely NOT what we were doing the last time around.

I also expressed my personal concern that while we may score well on the objective metrics, there is no way to analyze/evaluate the political angle and that I was worried about the talk of Texas governor involvement, etc. I was told that I'd be surprised to know who has been advocating on behalf of UConn and it's not just the current Governor. I wasn't told names, but the infernece was "former high ranking politicians".

The net-net of the discussion was that while we may not be certain how this will shake out, we can be certain that unlike last time, we are clearly doing this the right way and putting a full court press on -- despite what you may or may not hear in public.
It's clear Susan and co. have been doing everything the past few years to put UConn in the best position possible when expansion came back on the table...regardless of which conference is looking to expand. But it's always good to hear confirmation of this.

I'm also proud that UConn is doing this behind closed doors. It's utterly embarrassing watching the other AAC schools publicly beg for an invite while they're still being paid by another conference.

Reaction Score
FWIW

John Rowland? Say what you want about the man, but my guess is he speaks the same language of $ome tho$e in Texa$.......I kid, I kid, sort of.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom