Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

Reaction Score
Why Cincinnati over UConn? Because they advertised and lobbied aggressively to put themselves out there. Took a page out of Louisville's playbook with an aggressive president and AD. We are not better than them financially. They have over a billion dollar endowment. No sitting back and waiting for a phone call. I believe geography is not an issue. One the plane is in the air, it makes no difference.

It has exactly zero to do with it . . . is, and always was considered to be the safe choice.

Reaction Score
It's clear Susan and co. have been doing everything the past few years to put UConn in the best position possible when expansion came back on the table...regardless of which conference is looking to expand. But it's always good to hear confirmation of this.

I'm also proud that UConn is doing this behind closed doors. It's utterly embarrassing watching the other AAC schools publicly beg for an invite while they're still being paid by another conference.
I agree, the unsettling part of this is that unlike in the ACC situation, there's a lot more factors out of our control here such as our geography in comparison to Houston's, Texas's singular influence over the entire conference, and this apparent BYU stuff. My gut is telling me that if BYU is nixed over the honor code stuff, the B12 is more likely to stick at two. If they stick at two and everyone else agrees Cincinnati is team 11, Texas can wield their sword on pushing Houston as 12 for their own reasons, and there'd be no further incentive to go to 14. In that scenario, it wouldn't matter if every high-ranking politician in the world were advocating for UConn, Texas does what Texas wants.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In our favor, they also very much favor big land grant universities, not urban schools. And we are the only one that fits. Unfortunately, I suspect that the average fan and even many writers, assume that UConn is stuck in some densely populated urban area, when it's in a smaller town than any school in the Big 12.
Which is why this video can't be posted enough. One of you twitteristas want to drop in a few Big 12 expansion conversations?

Reaction Score
Except in this case, where you've repeatedly implied that you think discrimination against LGBTQ folks is a-ok.
Misrepresentation on your part. Not surprised though. It's the old if your don't fall in line and think how we think you are part of the problem routine. We know BYU is a religious school governed in part by their belief in old outdated doctrines. The majority of the people that choose to go there obviously don't have an issue with it.

If your an LGBT community member why would you want to go there? There are tens of thousands of colleges and universities willing to take your money and not care about who or how you love. Why insist on being uncomfortable, making others uncomfortable and then complain when what you are complaining about is spelled out to you in their honor code before you go there.

Because of this a group of people believe they should be excluded from an athletic conference. I never once heard or saw a letter advocating they be dismissed from the MWC because of their honor code.

Reaction Score
I agree, the unsettling part of this is that unlike in the ACC situation, there's a lot more factors out of our control here such as our geography in comparison to Houston's, Texas's singular influence over the entire conference, and this apparent BYU stuff. My gut is telling me that if BYU is nixed over the honor code stuff, the B12 is more likely to stick at two. If they stick at two and everyone else agrees Cincinnati is team 11, Texas can wield their sword on pushing Houston as 12 for their own reasons, and there'd be no further incentive to go to 14. In that scenario, it wouldn't matter if every high-ranking politician in the world were advocating for UConn, Texas does what Texas wants.
Likely everyone doesn't agree Cincinnati is 11.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Except in this case, where you've repeatedly implied that you think discrimination against LGBTQ folks is a-ok.

That's not what he's said. LDS has religious beliefs that homosexual activity is a sin. So does the Catholic church and other religions. Those beliefs are protected by the First Amendment, and cannot be simply discarded as "discrimination".

It is important to note that the religious objection is to behavior, not to the individual. It's a distinction often glossed over.

Anyway, none of this belongs here except to note that in BYU's case, their position, which they have a right to hold, may make some in the Big 12 uncomfortable. That's all that matters for our purposes here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was told that I'd be surprised to know who has been advocating on behalf of UConn and it's not just the current Governor. I wasn't told names, but the infernece was "former high ranking politicians".

70678489.jpg

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I while ago I did a why XII shouldn't pick these schools in one line. This is the followup, why the XII should invite these schools in one line.

Cincy: decent FB, BB, market and close to WV.
Houston: makes Texas happy.
BYU: best available FB tradition even if there program isn't that much better than the others.
CSU: There might be people in CO that still care about XII football.
UCF: in florida.
USF: we are in FL, too.
ECU: We were in that movie with James Caan.
Memphis: we have a rich benefactor who hasnt actually donated all that much to the program.
Uconn: far and away the best athletic, academic, television friendly school currently under consideration.

Reaction Score
I can't believe that nobody in the horde (Boneyard) saw these B12 officials on campus last week...I know they wouldn't be prancing around campus with B12 hats on but usually we'd have a little birdy taking summer classes or other athletes working out noticing something...hope they liked the Shenk, Gample, new bball practice facility and rest of campus...also hope someone showed them lots of blueprints and future renderings of what will start to be built as soon as we sign on B12 dotted line.

Reaction Score
I while ago I did a why XII shouldn't pick these schools in one line. This is the followup, why the XII should invite these schools in one line.

BYU: best available FB tradition even if there program isn't that much better than the others.
Memphis: we have a rich benefactor who hasnt actually donated all that much to the program.
Uconn: far and away the best athletic, academic, television friendly school currently under consideration.

This is the way anyone logically thinking sees it. UConn/Cincy and lets be done with all this.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I would be shocked beyond belief if we were included OVER Cincinnati. They're not perfect, but check off enough boxes to make it a swallowable pill for all members. Programs are good enough, good recruiting area, have enough success in football and basketball, decent-size fanbase, travel is easy, pro venue usable for big football games, TV networks would be fine with their inclusion. This has nothing to do with Santa Ono's Twitter habits, it's just the fact that their profile fits the current situation well.

Yes, we check off some of those boxes too, but our recent football performance and the distance from most schools hinder us too much to be taken OVER UC. To be taken as 11/12 WITH UC, that's another story - but that's where Texas's supposedly fierce support of Houston becomes a major problem.

Some of the sentiments I've seen on here over the past week or two wondering how in the world the B12 could pass us up because we're the second coming of Jesus are very misguided. Yes, we're a strong program and brand with national appeal and more overall success than any of these candidates. Yes, we have no business being in a conference with Tulane, Tulsa, Temple, and SMU. Yes, we're more successful and have more brand appeal than all of the other candidates save BYU. But we can't forget that our football program has been at best subpar for the last five seasons, there's the incorrect but still apparent perception that we do not travel well for football, and we culturally and geographically are an awkward fit for the B12. Let's face it, on the surface UConn is not a typical B12 schools outside of being a state land-grant university. The Big 12 is not a New England league. The Big 12 has never been a league that places importance on major basketball success. The Big 12 has never been a league that was overly concerned with being in major media markets. UConn is NOT a can't-miss addition to the Big 12 from THEIR perspective. Unfortunately, in this game that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If it's only 2 my gut tells me Cincy & Houston....main reasons are perceptions of FB programs, geography & our potential for flight risk....all work against us. Houston being solidly top 15 in all the pre-season FB polls really not helping either.

Reaction Score
My 1st thought was Joe Lieberman/Chris Dodd. They certainly are well-connected, but who knows what influence they carry.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
More people posting comments in the Premium Top Shelf Tweets thread, Fishy is going to be busy throat punching.

Reaction Score
If it's only 2 my gut tells me Cincy & Houston....main reasons are perceptions of FB programs, geography & our potential flight risk....all work against us. Houston being solidly top 15 in all the pre-season FB polls really not helping either.
You guys are conceding way too much. I think it will be a hard sell to Big 12 presents to take 2 city Schools, neither of whom dominate their home markets over a stage flagship that dominates their entire state and has some reach into surrounding states. And that is,better academically and has won at high levels athletics wise.

We will see. I believe nothing is close to being decided yet.

Reaction Score
You guys are conceding way too much. I think it will be a hard sell to Big 12 presents to take 2 city Schools, neither of whom dominate their home markets over a stage flagship that dominates their entire state and has some reach into surrounding states. And that is,better academically and has won at high levels athletics wise.

We will see. I believe nothing is close to being decided yet.
What do schools being in a city have anything to do with them being unappealing?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

That was a bit self serving. A more neutral view.

Cincy: Solid FB, BB, market and close to WV. Midwestern school. Good academics.
Houston: makes Texas happy. Huge market to help defend it against SEC. Football tradition and recent success, decent BB history. Was in SWC.
BYU: best available FB tradition, solid BB, very strong fan base. Good academic rep.
CSU: Denver market, some football history. Midwestern culture fit. Closer travel. Decent academics.
UCF: Huge student body. Big Orlando market. Good football under O'Leary. Strong recruiting territory. decent academics.
USF: Big Tampa market. Strong recruiting territory. Ok academics.
ECU: Over-achieving football with good attendance.
Memphis: Good BB history, closer for travel, decent market
Uconn: Top shelf BB, some FB success in BE, State flagship, land-grant, strong market with good overall following, strong academics

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What do schools being in a city have anything to do with them being unappealing?

UT is in a city, it's not the location, it's the mission of the school. Large state schools, land grant especially, represent the entire state. City schools represent and serve the city they are in. They are inherently limited institutions, which will never have a fanbase or broad appeal that approaches that of their counterparts.

Thus:
Wichita State is below KU and K State
Houston is below UT and A&M
Memphis is below U Tenn
Louisville is below UK
Cinci is below Ohio State
UCF and USF are below Florida and FSU

Reaction Score
UT is in a city, it's not the location, it's the mission of the school. Large state schools, land grant especially, represent the entire state. City schools represent and serve the city they are in. They are inherently limited institutions, which will never have a fanbase or broad appeal that approaches that of their counterparts.

Thus:
Wichita State is below KU and K State
Houston is below UT and A&M
Memphis is below U Tenn
Louisville is below UK
Cinci is below Ohio State
UCF and USF are below Florida and FSU

Eh that's almost entirely perception. Does Ohio University represent Ohio more than Cincinnati? What about Texas State? Lincoln University is land grant, ever heard of it? How about the University of Idaho? Tennessee State? I can go on and on. Indiana isn't a land grant school and represents Indiana much more than Purdue (we'll leave Notre Dame out of this conversation they're a unique case.)

Reaction Score
Cincinnati will never be a pimple on Ohio States ass even if on equal footing in a P5 league. This was proven by their BCS appearances while in a BCS league. Houston didn't draw the top rating in their own market during a 13-1, season. City Schools like those cannot compare with the drawing power of a state flagship school all things being equal. I expect the big 12 presidents to understand this phenomenon based on public comments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom