BYU suspensions?? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BYU suspensions??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't get it. You say it wont be the easiest game. But then you say BYU shouldn't have much trouble.... but then you say 16 points is too much to take....Where are you at with this game? Are you like positive its going to be 14 or something. I'll tell you what. With the excitement of HCBD's first game and the overall pent up energy and enthusiasm our fan base has right now to go along with some clear talent (sidenote: I've been waiting for this senior class for the last 2 years/even though we lost a handful of very quality key players to draft and transfer...T. Brown, Y Smallwood, S. Phillips, L. McCombs, X. Hemingway there is still very notable talent.) with all of that said I would put the spread at something much more reasonable, a spread that aptly conveys the raucous rentschler field BYU is going to see and heart of this new found team I would put it at BYU favored by 4. Word of warning, don't go getting your heart broke because you had no idea that UCONN could play that well. And definitely don't act like some of the Michigan fans I was sitting by. In the beginning of the game acting all cordial and polite because deep down inside they expected an ass whooping and then when we went up 21-7 and their panic attack symptoms started to kick in then they choose to be disrespectful, and shallow. True colors exposed. Talk all the trash you want though go ahead, you can only set yourself up for major disappointment.
Agree KCC. I didn't understand that either. I was at Uva last year. I expect a good hard fought game at the Rent. Hopefully after week 1 UConn wins 'em all. In 3 weeks we'll all have some answers. See yall then. Wish we could also schedule some Bball in the future.

Reaction Score
I give your fan site here much credit. I posted on the Texas fan board and got banned permanently on the same day. So much for healthy sports chat in Texas.

These suspensions are one of the most frustrating things being a BYU fan. Where else would a player get suspended because they had an earring on? Stuff like this is what makes BYU special but its also hard and frustrating.

Reaction Score
KC Cougar,

It won't be the easiest game for BYU this season since its on the road but BYU shouldn't have much trouble. I don't know if I would put money on covering the spread (I don't gamble anyway) because 16 points feels like alot.

It was painful watching what was a proud and physical offense circle the porcelan these past few years. If there is any positive to come of it that will be opponents not differentiating the approach of a Foley from a GDL, a Coach P from a Coach D. Better yet a prepared motivated and physically healthy team from from one that tried to be but lacked a comprehensive plan for fitness. We'll see how it all shakes out in a few weeks.

Reaction Score
I give your fan site here much credit. I posted on the Texas fan board and got banned permanently on the same day. So much for healthy sports chat in Texas.

These suspensions are one of the most frustrating things being a BYU fan. Where else would a player get suspended because they had an earring on? Stuff like this is what makes BYU special but its also hard and frustrating.

At UConn we have a pretty strict dress code too, but it's with the Women's basketball team! LOL!

Reaction Score
How can you suspend someone for wearing an earring? It's insane. Extremism of any kind is scary.

Reaction Score
How can you suspend someone for wearing an earring? It's insane. Extremism of any kind is scary.
If this is true...and it seems it is - this just sucks, it sucks that we have administrators that like to embarrass ourselves like this [face-palm].

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That's too bad. In my humble opinion, and take it for what it's worth (not much, I know!), I think suspending a kid for wearing an earring is a tad excessive. I understand that it's the Honor Code and part of the LDS culture, but still seems excessive.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

I agree the earring thing seems weird but it's a cultural thing. But I don't agree that extremism of any kind is scary. This site has some very extreme husky fans. The word fan is a shortened form of fanatic. And of course, extremism gave us all the rights and privileges we enjoy today.

Give me liberty or give me death. I regret I have but one life to give for my country.

More importantly, these players choose to attend BYU. They choose to abide by these rules. As the theme song for BARETTA told us, "don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

Reaction Score
I agree the earring thing seems weird but it's a cultural thing. But I don't agree that extremism of any kind is scary. This site has some very extreme husky fans. The word fan is a shortened form of fanatic. And of course, extremism gave us all the rights and privileges we enjoy today.

Give me liberty or give me death. I regret I have but one life to give for my country.

More importantly, these players choose to attend BYU. They choose to abide by these rules. As the theme song for BARETTA told us, "don't do the crime if you can't do the time."
I'm hearing more and more that it wasn't just an erring that got him suspended - late to practices had more to do with it. Blackmon just conveniently left that part out when telling people why he was suspended.

I can believe that, I'd be shocked with all the tattoos we have on the team that just an erring would make you have to sit a game.

Reaction Score
Several other players have and do wear earrings at BYU. As is noted in the linked article, Blackmon is even wearing them in his official profile pic. Again, his one-game suspension has nothing to do with earrings and everything to do with the same activities his friend Jamaal Williams was already suspended for. But, this is BYU, so people will make a story out of it. That's okay, UConn fans don't really care. You'll get to face BYU without our lead RB and a new, but promising WR (probably several others out as well). Should be a fun game.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Several other players have and do wear earrings at BYU. As is noted in the linked article, Blackmon is even wearing them in his official profile pic. Again, his one-game suspension has nothing to do with earrings and everything to do with the same activities his friend Jamaal Williams was already suspended for. But, this is BYU, so people will make a story out of it. That's okay, UConn fans don't really care. You'll get to face BYU without our lead RB and a new, but promising WR (probably several others out as well). Should be a fun game.

Interesting that lying/deceit is not one of the 'Mormon Rules' - obviously he is NOT telling the truth.

Reaction Score
Interesting that lying/deceit is not one of the 'Mormon Rules' - obviously he is NOT telling the truth.

It actually is one of the rules. And based on past events, nothing will get you in Bronco Mendenhall's doghouse quicker than not being upfront with him when asked about something - like there's a very good chance you will no longer be on the team kind of response.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
It actually is one of the rules. And based on past events, nothing will get you in Bronco Mendenhall's doghouse quicker than not being upfront with him when asked about something - like there's a very good chance you will no longer be on the team kind of response.

Now you have confused me by stating lying/deceit is one of the rules.

Player came out and said suspended for wearing earing.
You stated - ' Again, his one-game suspension has nothing to do with earrings and everything to do with the same activities his friend Jamaal Williams was already suspended for.' I tend to believe you.

So correct me if I am wrong - he is lying/being deceitful on the reason for his suspension to the world? He should be further suspended for that, no? Not living up to the principles?

Or does that rule only apply towards Bronco Mendenhall?

Reaction Score
The kid's tweets are unclear, and at most, they look like a lame attempt to deflect. I doubt Bronco would really do much more than he has already done to the kid for that. There have been past instances where he asked a player about off-field issues and the player didn't give him the full story, and in those cases Bronco dropped the hammer. All that being said, this is kind of a dumb story and one that will pass soon enough.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
We had beergate - you have earinggate!!
:)

Reaction Score
I'm still hoping they catch their QB with his hands under his center.....after practice. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
one of the things in the case of Blackmon being suspended, and for what reason, is that BYU, neither the university nor the coaching staff, will ever specify the reason or reasons a player is suspended. They will announce the suspension but they'll say something like breaking team rules, or an honor code violation. Normally the suspended player won't make a statement as to the reason for the suspension but for some reason Blackman decided to tell a couple of reporters in the area. When kccougar said Bronco won't abide a player being less than truthful to him kccougar is absolutely right but Blackmon wasn't talking to Coach Mendenhall, he was talking to the media and I'm certain he glossed over the real reason(s) for his suspension, either because he was embarrassed or he was trying to save face with the fans and media. Bronco and the other coaches already knew the reason(s) before the decision was made so Blackman wasn't lying to Bronco. It may be splitting hairs and there might only be a small difference, but apparently Bronco understood and accepted that difference.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
To be honest, I was hoping Williams' public tweeting about his suspension would have raised enough ire (or conversation) enough to overturn the suspension and allow him to play at the Rent. I thought that the weeks between his announcing his own suspension and the actual BYU confirmation might have been an indication that they were at least considering lifting the suspension. Oh well.

One week from today!!!

Reaction Score
BYU fan here.

I am excited for the game in one week.

I saw the title and quickly perused through the posts and I didn't notice anybody mentioning that our starting nose guard on defense also won't be playing. while it has not been official other players in their interviews have said he won't be playing that game.

Losing Williams, Johnson (nose guard), Kurtz (receiver, broken leg) and Blackmon is a big deal. Hopefully we will be okay and can pull out a win against a up Uconn who ended last season on a roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom