Brimah is having one of the better season on the Huskies. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Brimah is having one of the better season on the Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
That's pretty good stuff for a 4th year guy who had better stats his sophomore year huh? .

Funny. I think I remember a poster who was adamant that AB had not improved as a sophomore. :eek:

Previous post said it all. Brimah has over- achieved his expectations as a recruit. Maybe the only player on the team who has. Not his fault we didn't recruit someone better.

Reaction Score
If you don't agree with the posts I'm referring to, you don't have to respond like I accused you of making them.

I mean you come out with sarcastic posts like "he's a failure" and "we should cut him then" but can't handle a little feedback? My reply wasn't anything but asking a serious question - who called him a failure? Or were you just exaggerating? If you were then you should be able to handle the reply, simple. Try some thick skin on.

Reaction Score
What's distressing is that the three seniors have not gotten better in any way. no development at all on the court. Did that ever happen under Calhoun?

Been through this for about a month now. Where have you been? But it's a touchy subject. Many in here refuse to believe that KO has no clue what he's doing. And will get ultimately offended if you say otherwise.

Reaction Score
Funny. I think I remember a poster who was adamant that AB had not improved as a sophomore. :eek:

Previous post said it all. Brimah has over- achieved his expectations as a recruit. Maybe the only player on the team who has. Not his fault we didn't recruit someone better.

Better stats and probably a better player than his freshman year David, but it all stopped there and actually has come backwards since. If you and others are ok with that then congrats. And to be honest I'd be okay with that too, if he was backing up a solid 5 which we don't have. You guys all seem to make it fine that he is what he is, same guy but what else can we expect from him? I mean we can expect by year 4 we can throw it into him and he can make a move, a jump hook, get a rebound for a put back without falling to the floor like he got shot, pass the ball to an open guy for a lay up, pick and roll the right way (or even hold the pick) so our guards can play pick and roll, hedge off a pick and roll and not lose his guy - I can go on and on. But he's so great to you guys? Amazing. I like the kid too, I know you all think otherwise, and I wish KO and the staff did win another recruiting battle so it wasn;t all on him. But it was and year 4 he is the same player, that's not my expectations sorry I'm a bit tougher than you guys I've seen others improve so why expect less.

Reaction Score

Wait.....WHAAAAAAAA????? Overachieved?? Please tell me this is a joke. The man is a seven footer. Overachieved? We got some real nutso's over here.

Reaction Score
so brimah is not a good defender? if thats your point then we'll just disagree. i mean, its clear as day the guy alters the performance of the other team with his shot blocking. If you are going to call him terrible , than our guards and other big men are worst than terrible on defense, so whats that?

KenPom Stats Through Game 7 (BU)

We will disagree and that's ok but I guess that makes him a "good" defender on a really bad UConn defensive team. So you are right, our guards and wings aren't very good either but if this is the worst UConn defensive team in his 4 years then why aren't his blocks way up, I mean you're saying it's a lay up line right?

Reaction Score
He has had a way better career than most "projects" at UConn. Not every project can turn out like Hilton Armstrong. Most end up leaving for a different program where they can actually play.

That's somewhat fair but how many of those so-called "projects" got he minutes he got year 1 and form here on? Not a good comparison because most or all of those never saw anything but mop up if that. He was allowed the time to improve, he didn't. So while yes he did have a much better career than those guys, is this acceptable in a 4 year curve?

Reaction Score
If Brimah was averaging 12 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 blocks per 40 minutes on another team, I bet people would die to have him. But because he's doing it for a completely dysfunctional squad, he's terrible.

Look - he's a frustrating player on a team full of frustrating players. He should be better by now.

He's a situational guy, or, in other words, a very useful player when he's not asked to do too much. He's the type of guy you would love to add to a team that is already made or one piece of way, but he's not going to be an anchor. It's fair to question how well he's been coached.

If you want to know why this team has underachieved, Rodney Purvis is the first, second, and third biggest reason. The fourth reason is the fact that, sans Larrier, we have absolutely nothing at the four (this is a double negative, because Ollie's insistence on using Facey at the four has cost us a valuable back-up center, and instead Enoch, a below replacement level player, eats up those minutes), and the fifth reason is that we've yet to get two guards to play well in the same game.

This has been one of those seasons where it's like you're cleaning out an attic. It's a chore and you want to be done with it, but in the process of cleaning the attic you find a couple of salvageable pieces that you can keep. Brimah is one of those pieces.

Not a bad post minus the Rodney hammer. I mean please, one guy is what he is and this guy is the first 3 reasons we are underachieving? Agree he's a lot like the guy we're talking about in many ways, but he can win a game or more for us with his play and has, quite a few. He's been a big part of losses too I get that, can't trust his handle, doesn't seem to be as attentive on D when his shot isn't falling, can't pass it all that well and on the opposite end of the spectrum from AB hasn't achieved what most thought when he came out of HS. I get all that and he's a reason but to magnify it any more than anyone else is ridiculous. They all have their shortcomings so they can share in the many reasons this team will not be very good or consistent. Not fair to give him 3.

Reaction Score
A lot of people say he hasn't improved since his freshman year. Maybe that is true but the talent around him has gotten worse.

You know what though, he and Kentan Facey have had years to make the talent around them even better. But on offense we play either 3 on 5 or 4 on 5 depending on whether both or just one is in the game. Big guys can also assist in making things better. I don't think the expectations were going this season without the 3 we lost and it wouldn't have mattered in this case.

Reaction Score
I appreciate what Brimah brings to the table, but it's inexplicable that he commits the same fouls as a senior that he was committing as a freshman.

Being able to stay on the floor is a skill set, especially for a defensive-minded player. But he simply never developed that part of his game.

Reaction Score
Many in here refuse to believe that KO has no clue what he's doing.
Yeah that's because some people grasp that it's false on a basic factual level. We've seen KO coach at a high level while he's been here, a level someone would not be capable of if they had no clue what they were doing.

Reaction Score
That's somewhat fair but how many of those so-called "projects" got he minutes he got year 1 and form here on? Not a good comparison because most or all of those never saw anything but mop up if that. He was allowed the time to improve, he didn't. So while yes he did have a much better career than those guys, is this acceptable in a 4 year curve?

Haven't you said something like no coach can make Brimah better? Then why constantly crush him? He had a low ceiling and he maxed out his talent. It isn't a question of it being acceptable. It is what it is and for whatever reason the staff couldn't bring in someone better.

Reaction Score
Haven't you said something like no coach can make Brimah better? Then why constantly crush him? He had a low ceiling and he maxed out his talent. It isn't a question of it being acceptable. It is what it is and for whatever reason the staff couldn't bring in someone better.

Yes good point, guess I can hope for the kid to finally GET IT right? I mean I think the frustration I have is that you see what it could be or by now, could have been. For his sake, knowing I'm far from the only one, I wished they were successful in finding a solid 5 during his 4 years. In that case he would've been considered a really nice back up who brought what turned out to be his strengths, shot blocking and passion, to every game for 12-15 minutes and we would have less time to care of his weaknesses, like fouling as it would have less impact from the 6th or 7th man.

Reaction Score
Yeah that's because some people grasp that it's false on a basic factual level. We've seen KO coach at a high level while he's been here, a level someone would not be capable of if they had no clue what they were doing.

The denial is real. The guy has no clue about X's and O's. Great recruiter, great motivator (maybe? At least in 2014 he was), not a great coach.

Reaction Score
The denial is real. The guy has no clue about X's and O's. Great recruiter, great motivator (maybe? At least in 2014 he was), not a great coach.
So he's beaten Izzo twice, Donovan twice, Boeheim, Hoiberg, Calapari etc. without any clue about X's and O's. He's won a national championship without any clue about X's and O's. We finished 12th of out 350 teams in adjusted defense last year, led by a guy who has no clue about defensive X's and O's.

Seems legit.

And literally no one is saying he's a great coach genius.

Reaction Score
So he's beaten Izzo twice, Donovan twice, Boeheim, Hoiberg, Calapari etc. without any clue about X's and O's. He's won a national championship without any clue about X's and O's. We finished 12th of out 350 teams in adjusted defense last year, led by a guy who has no clue about defensive X's and O's.

Seems legit.

And literally no one is saying he's a great coach genius.

Lol. I thought the argument about 2014 was over. We had 4 legit pros on that team. Ollie did a great job making that team believe they could win it, but the X's and O's were the same. Dribble pass swing around the 3 point line and either drive or shoot. Just happens we had the best player in the country that year and a legit knock down shooter from 3 plus 2 other guys that were great role players. These were all guys recruited and coached by Calhoun btw. Was the players that won that title. KO preached great defense that year, that's about it.

I was in Dallas in 2014 looking from the crowd saying "man we are so lucky to have KO."

....now, just three years later, I'm asking if he'll be around after next season.

Reaction Score
Lol. I thought the argument about 2014 was over. We had 4 legit pros on that team. Ollie did a great job making that team believe they could win it, but the X's and O's were the same. Dribble pass swing around the 3 point line and either drive or shoot. Just happens we had the best player in the country that year and a legit knock down shooter from 3 plus 2 other guys that were great role players. These were all guys recruited and coached by Calhoun btw. Was the players that won that title. KO preached great defense that year, that's about it.

I was in Dallas in 2014 looking from the crowd saying "man we are so lucky to have KO."

....now, just three years later, I'm asking if he'll be around after next season.
I'm not sure what the "2014 argument" even is, but obviously every year should be included in the assessment of what KO is as a coach.

And how exactly did Shabazz become the best player in the country? Because no one was saying he was a great player after his sophomore year. Same with the great role players. No one was saying that about them when KO took over. Was Calhoun sneaking back in to give them the real coaching and he's not doing that anymore?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the "2014 argument" even is, but obviously every year should be included in the assessment of what KO is as a coach.

And how exactly did Shabazz become the best player in the country? Because no one was saying he was a great player after his sophomore year. Same with the great role players. No one was saying that about them when KO took over. Was Calhoun sneaking back in to give them the real coaching and he's not doing that anymore?

Ok. Well enjoy watching us fade into irrelevance.

Reaction Score
Ok. Well enjoy watching us fade into irrelevance.
LOL, not interested in answering any of my questions huh?

Based upon your posts here I know you're not capable of any actual thinking, but maybe try to grasp that despite KO coaching poorly this year, there are actually many more reasons for our struggles besides our coach having "no clue".

Reaction Score
The key is Ollie has shown an ability to recruit high-level guards but is really struggling with front court players and then if you base anything off Brimah and Facey he has no ability to develop them. Facey was top 65 and he hasn't developed. Do we have any confidence Carlton (barely top 200) or Diarra (top 150) will have so much more success?

Funny the naysayers do't get this point Stair huh?

Reaction Score
The key is Ollie has shown an ability to recruit high-level guards but is really struggling with front court players and then if you base anything off Brimah and Facey he has no ability to develop them. Facey was top 65 and he hasn't developed. Do we have any confidence Carlton (barely top 200) or Diarra (top 150) will have so much more success?
Just curious, where do you get your recruiting rankings from?

Reaction Score
I like to use 247 because it blends them, I think my Facey was Rivals

based on 247

Facey = 90
Diarra = 126
Carlton = currently 227
Durham = 50
Brimah = 242
Rock Lubin = 344
Vance = 77
Polley = currently 132

Based on these I would agree with the statement about Brimah playing above his ranking.

Reaction Score
He gets them from whatever source helps justify his narrative the best. Facey is the Rivals 65 because that paints him as a bigger disappointment than if he used the sites that had him in the 80's, 90's or out of the top 100. Christian Vital is not included on his list of players because he's obviously much better than his 166 ranking on 247, and that wouldn't fit into his message that we shouldn't be recruiting guys with that big a number next to their name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom