Board hate for Shirreffs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Board hate for Shirreffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
So, NCST, a middling P5 evaluated him and determined he limited to no QB skills. However people on the board believe if the O-line play was better and play calling we are seeing a very capable QB.

I think the play calling is directly attributable to the limited confidence they have with BS.

I'd like to see Williams play. If the most likely scenario with BS we win 1-2 if the remaining games that is short of a bowl, so why not play Williams and see what he can do and give him experience going into 2017.
When did NCST achieve the status of middling?

Reaction Score
So, Sheriffs is supposed to get over the psychological effects of the weeks before because a few guys held a few blocks a second longer? Eli Manning is tossing the ball early half the time for the same reason.
@huskymedic he watches a different game than the rest of us...I'd like to know where he sits because my ride home wouldn't suck so bad...LMFAO!!

Reaction Score
Diaco invested huge in the BS experiment and its failed miserably. True, it was a very poor evaluation of talent - which you can't blame the kid for. However, poor play is poor play - and calling that out is not hate.

had this discussion earlier, but besides Endres name one post-Orlovsky QB better than Shirreffs.

Reaction Score
He was yesterday late on the final 4 downs with those terrible reads and throws.

In a thread that points at the QB as the problem, yes it is quite relevant. BS is not a pro or even a top college QB for all the reasons stated, but he isn't why we are losing games.

Reaction Score
So, NCST, a middling P5 evaluated him and determined he limited to no QB skills. However people on the board believe if the O-line play was better and play calling we are seeing a very capable QB.

I think the play calling is directly attributable to the limited confidence they have with BS.

I'd like to see Williams play. If the most likely scenario with BS we win 1-2 if the remaining games that is short of a bowl, so why not play Williams and see what he can do and give him experience going into 2017.
Well his talent wouldn't be improved with a better O-line but his play would be, everyone's would. A good offensive line is the most important aspect of any offense. We've had nothing but mediocre QB's in the last decade but with a capable O-line they weren't as exposed. BS stinks I agree but the O-line stinking even worse is a huge part of his struggles.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
If Shireffs was Alabama's QBteam, reerriff
@huskymedic he watches a different game than the rest of us...I'd like to know where he sits because my ride home wouldn't suck so bad...LMFAO!!
I sat where the tying touchdown was dropped in the end zone, where the coach called a hundred and fifty QB sneaks, where Newsome dropped two balls.
Is Sheriffs going to the hall of fame? No, but with decent coaching, he would be a winning QB this season.

Reaction Score

I sat where the tying touchdown was dropped in the end zone, where the coach called a hundred and fifty QB sneaks, where Newsome dropped two balls.
Is Sheriffs going to the hall of fame? No, but with decent coaching, he would be a winning QB this season.
So you sit in section 128?

Reaction Score

There you go...you answered your own argument. He hasn't improved since last season...I say he has actually regressed in his QB skills. There lies the problem!

Reaction Score
It's not one or the other. If we had a better line, a solid #2 behind Thomas, and another reliable back besides Newsome, I think we'd have a competent offense with BS at QB. But if we had a better QB, that could cover up some of those problems.

Reaction Score
@huskymedic he watches a different game than the rest of us..

Nah... he's just got his dug in beliefs. There is enough inconsistency/shaky decision making (both staff/players) to go around. Whatever gets people through the season.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
There you go...you answered your own argument. He hasn't improved since last season...I say he has actually regressed in his QB skills. There lies the problem!
But this is the coach's responsibility. Diaco should have given Shireffs a summer workout routine and the motivation to do the work outs. This is coaching.

Reaction Score
I agree with Frazier, Lorenzen was lousy. Another guy who a middling P5 team tried to convert but he wouldn't.

Similar to BS, played the game hard.

I'l name 2 who were just as good...and they both brought the team to bowl games..Tyler Lorenzen and Zach Frazer.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Uggh. Black and white. Black and white.

Here's the scoop on BS; one that most I think will agree with if we are willing to take a step back for a second.

His strengths: pretty good at the intermediate throws, including across the width of the field and down the seam. Can escape broken pockets (thank God) and pick up yards with his feet.

His weaknesses: not good on the deep ball at all. Locks into one receiver. Scrambles too early from the pocket without going through a progression.

Can we win with that? Yes, if we scheme for that. This kid should have at least 6 or 7 throws to TEs in the middle of the field EVERY GAME! This kid should have better screen plays drawn up in order to counter the pressure as well as to get Newsome the ball. This kid could be successful with what we have around him.

The better question is: why haven't the coaches designed around him? Square pegs in round holes...

Reaction Score
But this is the coach's responsibility. Diaco should have given Shireffs a summer workout routine and the motivation to do the work outs. This is coaching.
Thanks for the information Capt Obvious!

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight...you 2 are using stats to try and tell the rest of us that a kid who can't make any reads other than his primary one, and has no concept of progressions is a better Qb than someone who has been in the NFL since 2005? Thanks for the info...it DEFINITELY reinforces one thing...and it's not that BS is a good, competent D-1 college level QB. I don't "hate" BS at all! I think he is a tough kid who leaves it all out on the field...I just don't think he is a good QB. There is a difference that both you guys are missing.

Orlovsky is all-time best UConn QB. Not disputing that at all.

Reaction Score
Can we win with that? Yes, if we scheme for that. This kid should have at least 6 or 7 throws to TEs in the middle of the field EVERY GAME! This kid should have better screen plays drawn up in order to counter the pressure as well as to get Newsome the ball. This kid could be successful with what we have around him.

Bingo. Well, at least Arkeel is getting more touches lately. There is that.

Reaction Score
Great, but tiresome, who cares anymore. He plays hard, like that is a talent?

Honestly, just want him out. Please go, start your life with the fiancé and new baby.

Shirreffs has his limitations, but the kid is all heart. I love the kid even as scream at him to look down field.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Not true again....Newsome did it several times yesterday! He had ample time to throw yesterday for a change. Ron Johnson was the one who got Garrett Anderson killed yesterday and has done the same for BS all season

In fairness to RJ, there were three unblocked guys on that play just on his side, rushing the QB. He admittedly picked the wrong one to block (instead of the outside guy, he took the second one who was probably a step behind) but it wouldn't have made a difference as the QB was getting crushed either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom