Board hate for Shirreffs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Board hate for Shirreffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Yeah, and people on this board demeaned the "midget" who ran circles around UConn's offense Saturday a la Greg Ward a la Quinton Flowers. So this board is not exactly a repository of 21st century college football expertise. People don't give guts, instinct and heart the due they should.

You tell me, what other college QB would you plug in to UConn's program if you had the chance? Who exactly is your prototype? Completely serious question.

#SUPER-TROLLLLLLLLLL

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
We are not losing games because of Shirreffs. On the contrary, we've only won the games we've won because of him. We are losing games (at least on O) because we insist on making things harder for him as a opposed to easier.

Hey it's 2nd and 8, let's line up and run up the middle into a 9 man box...that'll work (3rd and 7) and when it doesn't it sets up an obvious passing down where our poor pass protection gets overrun.

He's not a Top 25 QB, so what. We don't need a Top 50 QB to beat this schedule. We need a better plan in the red zone and a pass defense.

Oh, and this will be interesting. BS is better statistically that Dan O was. Look it up.

Dan O
Passing
Year
School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

2002 Connecticut Ind SO QB 12 221/366 60.4% 2488yds 6.8 6.5 19 11 128.6

2003 Connecticut Ind JR QB 12 279/475 58.7% 3485yds 7.3 7.4 33 14 137.4

BS
2015 Connecticut American SO QB 12 168/279 60.2% 2078yds 7.4 6.8 9 8 127.7

2016 Connecticut American JR QB 8 150/253 59.3% 1830yds 7.2 7.1 7 4 126.0

yea no he isnt.

Reaction Score
Frazier was much better.

Frazer was a Jekyll and Hyde QB , the guy in the Fiesta Bowl was throwing like he had a broken arm with multiple fractures. It was atrocious. We've had Orlovsky, Endres and Cochran. None of the other guys were real QBs at this level.

BS isn't good because he can't see the field. As much as I want him to throw to the TEs, I feel like he will just hear the play and lock onto one of them. That's his main deficiency, he only sees one target per play. Otherwise, he is more than adequate. Still, we are 3-5 and coaching cost us 2 games for certain with Navy and Cuse. UCF wasn't so blatantly on the coaches. Regardless, at 5-3 or 6-2, we'd all be happier with BS.

Reaction Score
#SUPER-TROLLLLLLLLLL

Lovely answer. At least another poster gave me three guys, all of whom would be handcuffed by A) Verducci and B) lack of protection. Here's your chance to submit something meaningful to the conversation instead of some knee-jerky response.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
So, Sheriffs is supposed to get over the psychological effects of the weeks before because a few guys held a few blocks a second longer? Eli Manning is tossing the ball early half the time for the same reason.

yes, yes he is. see thats one of those funny little attributes that make the difference between a competent qb and one who cant get the job done. kid is tough as nails, no one here questions that at all but when it comes to making correct reads, going through progressions and looking off defensive backs he is lacking. again he has stood in there and gotten creamed a couple times this year but a majority of the throws he makes beyond 15yds are inaccurate at best and that makes it difficult to run an effective offense.

and for those here blaming noel thomas give me a freakin break he has caught 76 of 80 catchable balls thrown his way, many of those are circus catches that no one else in this conference let alone on this team could even come close to catching. he has 4 drops all year and your gonna complain about one that he had to again DIVE to try and catch?

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
Lovely answer. At least another poster gave me three guys, all of whom would be handcuffed by A) Verducci and B) lack of protection. Here's your chance to submit something meaningful to the conversation instead of some knee-jerky response.

oh sunshine there are plenty of options but lets be honest you dont care what they say because they dont fit your agenda.

Reaction Score
and for those here blaming noel thomas give me a freakin break he has caught 76 of 80 catchable balls thrown his way, many of those are circus catches that no one else in this conference let alone on this team could even come close to catching. he has 4 drops all year and your gonna complain about one that he had to again DIVE to try and catch?

Dude, I started this thread noting Noel's drop and I'm not "blaming" him. I just noted that people are so focused on killing BS here they conveniently ignore facts that don't suit their "agenda", like Noel dropping a catchable ball in the end zone. And you are completely right that Thomas has saved Shirreffs bacon more than a few times this year.

Reaction Score
No one "hates" BS, and I'm betting all appreciate his effort, and not questioning his heart/desire. What most of the critics are saying, and I agree with this, is he's not a great QB. He can make the shorter, quicker throws most of the time, but struggles with the medium to long balls. He regularly overthrows open WR's, or doesn't notice open WR's all together b/c it appears he's decided where he's throwing the ball before the snap. He's serviceable, but he's not getting us over the hump.

With that said Diaco/Verducci are trying to fit square pegs into round holes. They're running the offence they WANT to have without having the personnel to execute it. As mentioned in earlier posts, if Diaco and Verducci would game plan to the players abilities we'd actually be okay (probably 6-2 or 5-3 right now - UH and USF were loses regardless, but Navy, SU, and UCF all winnable games)... but they don't... they have convinced themselves that we can line up behind our OL and knock the opposing DL off the ball to get 2-4 yards at will, or that we can consistently pass protect with a stationary pocket.... we can't... so stop trying to. What's more frustrating is they've actually demonstrated they can do it... going back to the 'almost' come back v Navy, we were creative, we mixed things up, we moved the pocket, and it worked... and then we got to the goal line and they wet themselves in the clock management and play calling department.

I really hope we get it together, but based on all I've seen so far I think we've got at best 1 winnable game left this year, and unfortunately it is Tulane (and coming off a loss at BC and riding a 5 game losing streak it will be in front of maybe 10,000 fans... at best).

Reaction Score
Uggh. Black and white. Black and white.

Here's the scoop on BS; one that most I think will agree with if we are willing to take a step back for a second.

His strengths: pretty good at the intermediate throws, including across the width of the field and down the seam. Can escape broken pockets (thank God) and pick up yards with his feet.

His weaknesses: not good on the deep ball at all. Locks into one receiver. Scrambles too early from the pocket without going through a progression.

Can we win with that? Yes, if we scheme for that. This kid should have at least 6 or 7 throws to TEs in the middle of the field EVERY GAME! This kid should have better screen plays drawn up in order to counter the pressure as well as to get Newsome the ball. This kid could be successful with what we have around him.

The better question is: why haven't the coaches designed around him? Square pegs in round holes...
This.

Reaction Score
Dude, I started this thread noting Noel's drop and I'm not "blaming" him. I just noted that people are so focused on killing BS here they conveniently ignore facts that don't suit their "agenda", like Noel dropping a catchable ball in the end zone. And you are completely right that Thomas has saved Shirreffs bacon more than a few times this year.
I admit, I'm a Noel Thomas Jr. homer (reps the town I grew up in, Norwalk). Fan for life... You sound like a BS homer... Which I can respect. When you are a homer, when your boy gets a bunch 'critics' (like we can do what he does... none of us can nor have the heart to) it bothers you... I get it...

With that said, maybe Noel shoulda caught that ball in the endzone. Woulda boosted his draft stock... but, I don't think it hurt it much, if at all.. Kid's a player. a beast for us... so is BS...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I had a similar thought yesterday while sitting in the rain. The genius of Belichick is that he sets up his offense to create favorable matchups. Does Bob? That is the problem. We have a borderline All American in Thomas, we have tight ends if they can hold onto the ball are tough matchups. Mayala and Beals are no slouches in catching the ball. Lemelle was open all day yesterday. You'd think someone in the press box would see this and call a play or two for the kid, knowing that BS has trouble with long progressions.

Our RB's do a lot better out of the spread as does our OL, because there are few defenders to block, avoid. Yet how many times did we lineup in a tight set that wasn't short yardage?

This is where we diverge. I see Verducci doing exactly this. I see the TEs wide open all the time, they never get the ball. I see secondary WRs open, they don't get the ball. I see RBs release and get open, and unless it was a called screen, they don't get the ball.

My complaint with Bryant is that he doesn't seem to be able to read defenses, and he doesn't throw to the open receiver. I don't think it's a solution for the coaches to call Mayala's number as a primary option x times per game. Even when it works, as it did on the seam route to Newsome against USF, it isn't the solution because we are too easy to defend unless the opponent has to defend everyone. It was amazing how much better the UCF true freshman was at that aspect of the game.

Here is another nit. What is with sticking your arm straight out immediately after the snap on every hand-off? He telegraphs that it's a running play way too early. It's maddening and really eliminates the play action. Can't they see this on film? Is someone coaching him to do that?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is where we diverge. I see Verducci doing exactly this. I see the TEs wide open all the time, they never get the ball. I see secondary WRs open, they don't get the ball. I see RBs release and get open, and unless it was a called screen, they don't get the ball.

My complaint with Bryant is that he doesn't seem to be able to read defenses, and he doesn't throw to the open receiver. I don't think it's a solution for the coaches to call Mayala's number as a primary option x times per game. Even when it works, as it did on the seam route to Newsome against USF, it isn't the solution because we are too easy to defend unless the opponent has to defend everyone. It was amazing how much better the UCF true freshman was at that aspect of the game.

Here is another nit. What is with sticking your arm straight out immediately after the snap on every hand-off? He telegraphs that it's a running play way too early. It's maddening and really eliminates the play action. Can't they see this on film? Is someone coaching him to do that?

BS is all heart, all effort and I love it. It just maybe that he cannot be coached past his ceiling. He doesn't have great field vision, has a slow delivery, needs to throw with two feet planted squarely and never extends passing plays by scrambling to throw, but rather scrambling to run. He also tends to force the ball on special plays into double coverage instead of finding option two. The kid is easy to love, tries his best, but it maybe this is all he can do.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
BS is all heart, all effort and I love it. It just maybe that he cannot be coached past his ceiling. He doesn't have great field vision, has a slow delivery, needs to throw with two feet planted squarely and never extends passing plays by scrambling to throw, but rather scrambling to run. He also tends to force the ball on special plays into double coverage instead of finding option two. The kid is easy to love, tries his best, but it maybe this is all he can do.

I think that's probably fair. He's a gamer and I love his courage and effort. The word I think is missing is "dynamic". This team, such as it is, needs a little bit of flash. It needs plays like that crazy 3rd and long, run around for 10 seconds and complete a floater into the wind that UCF got to bail themselves out in the 3rd. That play turned the game as much as any. Utterly deflating for the D.

BS is doing a better job of not taking off running too early. But when he does need to move, even just to side-step the rush, he then can't seem to throw. We desperately need someone who can turn those situations into big plays.

Reaction Score
No one "hates" BS, and I'm betting all appreciate his effort, and not questioning his heart/desire. What most of the critics are saying, and I agree with this, is he's not a great QB. He can make the shorter, quicker throws most of the time, but struggles with the medium to long balls. He regularly overthrows open WR's, or doesn't notice open WR's all together b/c it appears he's decided where he's throwing the ball before the snap. He's serviceable, but he's not getting us over the hump.

With that said Diaco/Verducci are trying to fit square pegs into round holes. They're running the offence they WANT to have without having the personnel to execute it. As mentioned in earlier posts, if Diaco and Verducci would game plan to the players abilities we'd actually be okay (probably 6-2 or 5-3 right now - UH and USF were loses regardless, but Navy, SU, and UCF all winnable games)... but they don't... they have convinced themselves that we can line up behind our OL and knock the opposing DL off the ball to get 2-4 yards at will, or that we can consistently pass protect with a stationary pocket.... we can't... so stop trying to. What's more frustrating is they've actually demonstrated they can do it... going back to the 'almost' come back v Navy, we were creative, we mixed things up, we moved the pocket, and it worked... and then we got to the goal line and they wet themselves in the clock management and play calling department.

I really hope we get it together, but based on all I've seen so far I think we've got at best 1 winnable game left this year, and unfortunately it is Tulane (and coming off a loss at BC and riding a 5 game losing streak it will be in front of maybe 10,000 fans... at best).
Well put on BS

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm to the point, I think he's awful.

I understand the O-line isn't great, but he has had several plays with protection and made lousy reads and/or throws.

He can't run whatsoever.

He may be our best option. I just want to see if Williams can play.

No one remotely questions his effort, he should have listened to the NCST coaches 4 years ago.

He's fine. I like Shirreffs. But he's very much the QB of a 3-5 team. Is it his fault when we lose? No, but he's also not good enough to win us a game with his play.

Reaction Score
This is what drives me nuts. Shirreffs has comp rate of 59.3 percent this year and is 60-plus for career. UConn had trouble topping 50 pct post-Orlovsky until BS took over.
UConn has had a long line of very bad college QBs post DO, just because BS may be better than the majority of them does not make him good. Just because he is the tallest jockey does not make him tall.

BS is not UConn's only problem, but he is a huge reason this team has the record it does.

C

Chief00

Why is tough as nails synonymous with being as dumb as a rock? Just leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom