Board hate for Shirreffs | The Boneyard

Board hate for Shirreffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
has gotten to the point where it's not mentioned that Noel dropped a TD pass in the end zone.

Was it a 100 percent perfect throw? No. But if Noel is going to play on Sundays, and he's got a shot, and it would be great if he did, he'll have to make that catch.

And never mind the the drop. Look at the hit Shirreffs takes as he's delivering the ball. Go to ESPN3.com to watch it. And this is after the kid had to go to the locker room earlier in the game.

Shirreffs not even in the top 10 of reasons why this team is 3-5.

Reaction Score
has gotten to the point where it's not mentioned that Noel dropped a TD pass in the end zone.

Was it a 100 percent perfect throw? No. But if Noel is going to play on Sundays, and he's got a shot, and it would be great if he did, he'll have to make that catch.

And never mind the the drop. Look at the hit Shirreffs takes as he's delivering the ball. Go to ESPN3.com to watch it. And this is after the kid had to go to the locker room earlier in the game.

You have now just reinforced your lack of knowledge of football played at the college level!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't dislike the kid at all
I really appreciate the fact that he is 100% + gamer but am nervous for him that the way the coaching staff uses him he may suffer a significant injury
He is an athlete but not the prototype QB that UConn needs to be a more efficient and better offense.
Is he the reason for the dismal team performance? No - not the primary reason
Does he play a part? At this point yes he does as does every player to some extent and the coaching staff to the highest degree
Being the QB and that being a primary focus position - he gets more than his share of blame.

Reaction Score
You have now just reinforced your lack of knowledge of football played at the college level!

Yeah, and people on this board demeaned the "midget" who ran circles around UConn's offense Saturday a la Greg Ward a la Quinton Flowers. So this board is not exactly a repository of 21st century college football expertise. People don't give guts, instinct and heart the due they should.

You tell me, what other college QB would you plug in to UConn's program if you had the chance? Who exactly is your prototype? Completely serious question.

Reaction Score

Calling out QB ineffectiveness is not hate.

Top 4:

OL Play
QB Play
DB Play
Play Calling/Bad Coaching Decisions (but play calling has been much improved as season progresses - execution not so much)

You can reorder them based on perspective.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and people on this board demeaned the "midget" who ran circles around UConn's offense Saturday a la Greg Ward a la Quinton Flowers. So this board is not exactly a repository of 21st century college football expertise. People don't give guts, instinct and heart the due they should.

You tell me, what other college QB would you plug in to UConn's program if you had the chance? Who exactly is your prototype? Completely serious question.
Any QB in the country...DeShaun Watson, Ward or Lamar Jackson

Reaction Score
Coaches "coach", players "play" and Administrators "administrate".

Coaches place players in a position to find success. The inability to find on field success is speaking volumes, repeatedly, week after week
after week. Year 3, I was hoping for an improvement. After 6 years, it is wearing thin........

Reaction Score
Calling out QB ineffectiveness is not hate.

Top 4:

OL Play
QB Play
DB Play
Play Calling/Bad Coaching Decisions (but play calling has been much improved as season progresses - execution not so much)

You can reorder them based on perspective.

The anti-BS sentiment on this board at times goes beyond "calling out ineffectiveness." The playcalling and line play has been so poor that Shirreffs has an extremely high bar to look "effective". If he's going to be held to that ridiculous standard, then it needs to be mentioned that someone dropped a TD pass.

Offensive play calling (directly responsible for losses at Navy, Syracuse, UCF).
Offensive line play.
Defensive back play.
Lack of effective pass rush.

Reaction Score
Any QB in the country...DeShaun Watson, Ward or Lamar Jackson

All good players. All would have trouble overcoming the play calling and ineffective line play here. BTW the line play is a coaching thing too, IMO.

Reaction Score
All good players. All would have trouble overcoming the play calling and ineffective line play here. BTW the line play is a coaching thing too, IMO.

Most definitely!!!!

Reaction Score
I love Shireff's toughness. Guy is fearless.

He is a mediocre qb on most days. His accuracy and decision making are questionable. On the play where Noel Thomas made a spectacular catch, he had his man beat by 3 steps. BS threw a floating curveball. Should have been a td. He has nice touch on intermediate throws but locks onto receiver regardless of coverage. Deep throws are an adventure.

With that said, the team could have definitely gone to a bowl with him at the helm this year if not for some horrible coaching.

Reaction Score
Love him as a kid, love his heart and guts, cannot appreciate enough his willingness and intermittent ability to shoulder the offense, but he is far from blameless. That Houston game perfectly encapsulated why the staff has not been spreading the offense and/or going downfield all this time despite everyone throughout UConn Country desperately pleading for them to do so: Shirrefs can't be trusted to make big throws. Either he is inaccurate, or is so skittish that he gives up on the pocket before any deep route can develop. That's not on the OC or anyone else; if anything, it demonstrates good staff awareness of the weaknesses of their players.

Reaction Score
He is not a very accurate passer. Is that hate?
That's the other thing. What a stupid time to use the word "hate".

Some may be less civil in their criticisms for various reasons (alcohol, baseline douchiness, or both), but not a soul in UConn Country has any "hate" for Shirrefs. Everyone knows what he can and can't do at this point. TBH he's not good enough to have haters in the first place. Reminds me of threads in the MBB forum about the "hate" for Brimah.

Reaction Score
When the list gets to be up around 10 major issues you have to elevate coaching to #1 because it plays a major role in the other 9.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Bryant is what he is. A tough player who makes the most of his abilities as a quart back. Do I think someone else should be starting, yes if it is an improvement. Do I think we have that here, I'm not sure.

Quarterback has been the bad part if this team since Dan O left eleven years ago. Part of is probably because of the offense run here at UConn. The rest is because what then coaches seem to be looking for and that is dual threats that are not fast but are tough.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We are not losing games because of Shirreffs. On the contrary, we've only won the games we've won because of him. We are losing games (at least on O) because we insist on making things harder for him as a opposed to easier.

Hey it's 2nd and 8, let's line up and run up the middle into a 9 man box...that'll work (3rd and 7) and when it doesn't it sets up an obvious passing down where our poor pass protection gets overrun.

He's not a Top 25 QB, so what. We don't need a Top 50 QB to beat this schedule. We need a better plan in the red zone and a pass defense.

Oh, and this will be interesting. BS is better statistically that Dan O was. Look it up.

C

Chief00

Diaco invested huge in the BS experiment and its failed miserably. True, it was a very poor evaluation of talent - which you can't blame the kid for. However, poor play is poor play - and calling that out is not hate.

Reaction Score
We are not losing games because of Shirreffs. On the contrary, we've only won the games we've won because of him. We are losing games (at least on O) because we insist on making things harder for him as a opposed to easier.

Hey it's 2nd and 8, let's line up and run up the middle into a 9 man box...that'll work (3rd and 7) and when it doesn't it sets up an obvious passing down where our poor pass protection gets overrun.

He's not a Top 25 QB, so what. We don't need a Top 50 QB to beat this schedule. We need a better plan in the red zone and a pass defense.

Oh, and this will be interesting. BS is better statistically that Dan O was. Look it up.

This is what drives me nuts. Shirreffs has comp rate of 59.3 percent this year and is 60-plus for career. UConn had trouble topping 50 pct post-Orlovsky until BS took over.

So let me get this straight...you 2 are using stats to try and tell the rest of us that a kid who can't make any reads other than his primary one, and has no concept of progressions is a better Qb than someone who has been in the NFL since 2005? Thanks for the info...it DEFINITELY reinforces one thing...and it's not that BS is a good, competent D-1 college level QB. I don't "hate" BS at all! I think he is a tough kid who leaves it all out on the field...I just don't think he is a good QB. There is a difference that both you guys are missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom