Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tech would go to the SEC - that's where they were aiming while they were in the Big East.

Unfortunately, the SEC doesn't appear interested and therefore it was in Tech's best interest to sign the grant of rights to make sure that other programs in the conference that had options locked themselves in as well.

I suspect the Big Ten and SEC aren't interested in anything but flagships and that's an issue for a school like VaTech.

Reaction Score
Great way to evade a simple question. And a lot of obfuscation. The final budget #s of Enright's, the DOE, and USA Today are exactly the same. EXACTLY. So we are talking about the same budget revenues despite your attempts to portray these numbers as different.

The total number of scholarships is nowhere near $18 million, not even 20%. And, that is real money that every single unit in the university has to account for. It's not a fungible amount and it's not funny money. Every department funds its assistantships, for instance, through department income (i.e. tuition and the like). This is how universities maintain balance sheets, by making each program and department accountable for revenue. If it was all fungible, because all student tuition goes to the same place, we'd be able to do whatever we want.

lets see 400 scholarships multiplied by 36k, hmmmm that number would be eerily close to 18 million, like 14 million or so, but I guess by USA Today math that equals 4 million. Anyway, I feel bad if you think I was evading anything, because I wasn't, and I wasn't trying to make it complicated, you were by asking me to provide a spreadsheet of numbers. All I feel that is important is that the official report by the US DOE and UConn states a profit of $94,522. I really don't see how you can argue that, it's plain fact and not being able to grasp that seems to be a major problem for you. And in the end, if you want to call student fees state funding or some kind of subsidy, that's a little absurd. It is revenue specifically for athletics, which everyone has a chance to play, just like some of student fees go to the student union or the library or whatever student celebration UConn throws. Just like athletics fee, everyone has to pay, but not everyone participates. But in the end I would rather just say that we are never going to agree and to tell you the truth I really care very little about this topic, so I am gonna chill with it. We aren't in the BIG10 and that sucks, regardless of whatever UConns sports budget is now.

Reaction Score
Your citing a fan website article from 2 years ago as your proof that they would leave? If this were so, they would not have signed the GOR since it would make such a departure far more complicated and far more expensive. Indeed, if what you say - and what this article infers - was true, they would have absolutely no motivation to sign the GOR.

I knew the article was old. I remembered reading it and being surprised by the SEC vote result.

It speaks of the history of Hokies in the ACC, and again, just how close the ACC was to falling apart.

If you're not a UNC, Duke or FSU, the motivation to sign the GoR is that the alternative really sucks unless you know for sure that you have a home elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tech would go to the SEC - that's where they were aiming while they were in the Big East.

Unfortunately, the SEC doesn't appear interested and therefore it was in Tech's best interest to sign the grant of rights to make sure that other programs in the conference that had options locked themselves in as well.

I suspect the Big Ten and SEC aren't interested in anything but flagships and that's an issue for a school like VaTech.

the SEC frequently takes the #2 team in a state to get into that state. c.f. UF, USCe, A&M.

Reaction Score
Are you saying the University of Florida is the #2 school in Florida?

Oops. I hadn't realized UF was a charter member. Probably because they were such an afterthought until Spurrier (one SEC title from 1932 to 1991, which was later vacated). Sizewise I think they are bigger than FSU but football wise the Noles are the #1 brand.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
i'm sure your response is sarcastic, but just to clarify I (and I think most people) enjoy getting an outsiders perspective and you have made good posts.

The Big 10 is the greatest conference in history. It's schools all make a lot more money that UConn will ever make. The ACC also makes a lot of money. They are in the P5, UConn is not. UConn is not in the P5. The Big 10 schools make a lot of money. UConn does not make a lot of money. I don't see UConn ever in the P5 because the Big 10 schools make so much money and UConn does not. Notre Dame makes a lot of money too. UConn does not make as much as Notre Dame, the Big 10 schools or the ACC schools. Or any of the P5 schools for that matter. I don't know how an athletic department can compete without making as much money as the Big 10 schools, ACC schools and Notre Dame.

I get it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oops. I hadn't realized UF was a charter member. Probably because they were such an afterthought until Spurrier (one SEC title from 1932 to 1991, which was later vacated). Sizewise I think they are bigger than FSU but football wise the Noles are the #1 brand.

Not even close - UF substantially more popular than Florida State.

If you were attaching value to the brand, you couldn't name ten schools before getting to Florida. You might go 25 deep before getting to FSU.

Reaction Score
I do I know. Just facts.

Facts my foot. I recently whopped you cold on Turtle vs Cavalier facts, you conspicuously disappeared from that particular thread.

Just some reminders:

Facts: Turtle whoops Cavalier head to head in the big two, all-time: football, m. hoops. They even left the ACC beating you in these two sports, yet again, ouch! Turtle has more NCAA titles than the University of VA Buccaneers (flaming gay era - that's what your alias picture looks like, only a slight bit tougher). Turtle has far more top 25 graduate programs than "I slept with my slaves but didn't protect them university" - and that's according to the most overused ratings system by ACC fans on sports board. . . especially: US News.

Another fact: UVa vastly underperforms in football based on in-state hs football. Perhaps it's time for the Dukes of James Madison to take your place in the ACC.

Other close-to-facts: UVa alum, students, and many fans are stuck in the betwixt and between of southern and northern rooted cultures - the southern grouping is far from Deep South, but merely faux-southern due to a complex of elitism - likely based on the overstated hype of Jeffersonian folklore & cultural, regional homerism.

Indisputable fact: I've never seen a poster troll as hard as you do, esp when all is good in ACC land - stability galore, ironclad GOR.

Thus, be content & accept that UConn fans, if decisive in a new conference home, simply prefer the BIG by substantial margins - the has been conference with a dying population base - soon deserts of dilapidated ruins will dominate the cold, useless Midwest and Rust Belt.

Another indisputable fact: the ACC has & will always be the most predatory conference of the past two decades - certainly the BCS era. It ruined the Big East, among other things - Swoffie & the TR Mafia didn't like the fact the Big East held its own against ACC basketball, esp mafia members Duke & UNCheat and once upon a time - NC State - long live Valvano (I mean this part). But now you have Booger Picker Boeheim and powerhouse-academic-commuter-school-central: Louisville. So the ACC has inherited 4 NCs and well over 15 Final Four appearances. So piggy back "faux buccaneer" (gay era) - all you want & continue to crash this board with your ashy logic.

Reaction Score
Not even close - UF substantially more popular than Florida State.

If you were attaching value to the brand, you couldn't name ten schools before getting to Florida. You might go 25 deep before getting to FSU.

Maybe in terms of alumni etc. I bet out of state FSU is more well known and sells more shirts. I can't even remember seeing a Gator shirt not Tebow related on a casual fan.

Reaction Score
UConn and UConn fans need to stop worrying about getting into a P5 conference since worrying and chatting about it will NOT get us in. Build the program, bring back the fans, fill the stadium, get recruits, beef up the out of conference schedule, win against out of conference schedule, win league, go to bowl games, win bowl games. IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME! UConn has a lot of work to do, until our football program is ready for prime time. We have BYU at home on National TV, winning that game would be a good start. FHCPP screwed us good, drove the program into the ground, lets rebuild it, IN DIACO WE TRUST.

Reaction Score
UConn and UConn fans need to stop worrying about getting into a P5 conference since worrying and chatting about it will NOT get us in. Build the program, bring back the fans, fill the stadium, get recruits, beef up the out of conference schedule, win against out of conference schedule, win league, go to bowl games, win bowl games. IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME! UConn has a lot of work to do, until our football program is ready for prime time. We have BYU at home on National TV, winning that game would be a good start. FHCPP screwed us good, drove the program into the ground, lets rebuild it, IN DIACO WE TRUST.
UConn has done everything you said. Then they hired P, and momentum seized. Winning hasn't gotten us in. The P hire couldn't have happened at a worst time. you Jeff Hathaway.

Reaction Score
Maybe in terms of alumni etc. I bet out of state FSU is more well known and sells more shirts. I can't even remember seeing a Gator shirt not Tebow related on a casual fan.
You bet? You're making things up that fit your narrative. Living in NYC I see significantly more UF shirts/hats/etc... and hardly any FSU. Spent quite a bit of time in LA for work, saw little of UF, and absolutely nothing from FSU.

Reaction Score
lets see 400 scholarships multiplied by 36k, hmmmm that number would be eerily close to 18 million, like 14 million or so, but I guess by USA Today math that equals 4 million. Anyway, I feel bad if you think I was evading anything, because I wasn't, and I wasn't trying to make it complicated, you were by asking me to provide a spreadsheet of numbers. All I feel that is important is that the official report by the US DOE and UConn states a profit of $94,522. I really don't see how you can argue that, it's plain fact and not being able to grasp that seems to be a major problem for you. And in the end, if you want to call student fees state funding or some kind of subsidy, that's a little absurd. It is revenue specifically for athletics, which everyone has a chance to play, just like some of student fees go to the student union or the library or whatever student celebration UConn throws. Just like athletics fee, everyone has to pay, but not everyone participates. But in the end I would rather just say that we are never going to agree and to tell you the truth I really care very little about this topic, so I am gonna chill with it. We aren't in the BIG10 and that sucks, regardless of whatever UConns sports budget is now.

FYI, the number paid back for schlarships is listed under the budget. It's right there. It is not anything like $18 million.

You're evading again since you discount the breakdown at USA Today which shows direct institutional support and fees of $18 million to the AD. Why not $17 million or $16 million. We all know the answer to that question.

Reaction Score

Did you sleep through the 2000s? 2 football championships and 2 basketball championships. Florida sells out too unlike FSU. Florida's fanbase is legendary. You're the first I have ever heard propose that somehow FSU is more popular.

Reaction Score

FSU had a great season and is a good school, but even FSU knows they are not the state flagship school in Florida by virtually any metric.

Reaction Score
Random hat fan is an unimaginative animal that likes whatever's glowing right now. At times he wore a Miami and a USC hat too. He latched onto Bowden's Noles in the late 90s.

Meyer left too soon for that the Gators to be temporarily adopted.

It's fine if you stick with the numbered value, but I wouldn't want the ACC to swap.

Reaction Score
Interesting article, but now I wonder what UConn is including in its licensing revenues because it reports more than double revenue as Cincy and 75% more than Louisville.

I don't know the number you are looking at, but it could include Nike and IMG revenue, which includes Webster Bank, etc. I think the article represents apparel and merchandise through this vendor.

Reaction Score
I don't know the number you are looking at, but it could include Nike and IMG revenue, which includes Webster Bank, etc. I think the article represents apparel and merchandise through this vendor.

It says it gets the reports from IMG.

But UConn shows $24.8m in licensing revenue. This could include coaches' shows I suspect, and other mysterious things.

Reaction Score
That was from August. I think that ranking will shift with FSU being a national power for the first time in over a decade.

Reaction Score
Did you sleep through the 2000s? 2 football championships and 2 basketball championships. Florida sells out too unlike FSU. Florida's fanbase is legendary. You're the first I have ever heard propose that somehow FSU is more popular.
I lived through all of that in Miami, FL. Nobody cared. Florida Gators are not the team in that part of Florida. There are parts of the state that might celebrate that, but it's not South Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom