Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M | The Boneyard

Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Good lord.

But hey, we'll be solidly in the $2.5M range by then.

Actually, we're closer to the $10M range, since it would include the distributions from NCAA credits, bowl arrangements, exit fees, etc. But if your point is that it sucks to not be in the B1G right now, well.....yes. Yes, it sucks to not be in the B1G right now...

Reaction Score
Actually, we're closer to the $10M range, since it would include the distributions from NCAA credits, bowl arrangements, exit fees, etc. But if your point is that it sucks to not be in the B1G right now, well.....yes. Yes, it sucks to not be in the B1G right now...

He said by then, and by then those things will have dried up, and we'll be back to our pathetic TV deal.

Reaction Score
I feel so much better. Full disclosure: A note of sarcasm may have slipped into my post.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He said by then, and by then those things will have dried up, and we'll be back to our pathetic TV deal.

No, by then those things will not have dried up. The NCAA credits are paid out over a 6-year period. The exit fee amounts that are due to UConn, Cincy, and USF are going to be paid out over 4 years (i.e., 2017/2018 season). So....actually...."no"...

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I feel so much better. Full disclosure: A note of sarcasm may have slipped into my post.

Well, that's weird. Because this entire thread was designed to make you feel better. I can't believe it's not working... :confused:

Reaction Score
And we wonder why players are talking about going union, why Ed O'bannon and others have legit cases going on.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

When the Big Ten is handing out $44.5M, we'll be losing the exit fees and our NCAA/bowl fees will not get us anywhere close to $10M.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You are not good at math.

When the Big Ten is handing out $44.5M, we'll be losing the exit fees and our NCAA/bowl fees will not get us anywhere close to $10M.

Explain to me how I'm not good at math again. Aren't we due our last exit fee payment in 2017-2018? I thought the payment schedule was for four years, starting this coming year (2014/2015), to the tune of a little over 6 million per year. That would equal about 75 million-ish for the three schools, and then the league was going to pocket the other 30M.

If that isn't the accurate schedule, then it has nothing to do with my math. I'll try to find the schedule online and update my posts accordingly...

EDIT: What little I saw out there is very unclear in terms of total amount, start date, and whether it's a four or five year deal:

http://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/aac-reaches-agreement-divide-big-east-exit-fees

Therefore, let's split the difference and say that it's likely we'll be in the $8M ballpark in 2017/2018, and it STILL sucks not to be in the B1G. And Fishy's as bad at math as I am, and worse as a motivational speaker...

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not trying to motivate you - you can do that for yourself, even if that means kidding yourself.

We will not clear $2M in total bowl and NCAA payouts yearly. (The NCAA tourney payouts will start leaking air beginning now - have you met our conference mates?) Our bowl affiliations are nonsense and our payout from the playoff is $12M for the entire conference as opposed to $90M for the Big Ten. Take your conference cut off the top and we're in six digits there.

Our conference exit fees will be expiring and we'll receive somewhere in the $2.5-$3.5M range yearly.

You're plain weird if you think an expiring deal to pay out the exit fees is some sort of mitigating factor going forward. Under your best case scenario, we're $36.5M behind in 2018 and then, what, a full $45M behind the year after? That's good news? All righty.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to motivate you - you can do that for yourself, even if that means kidding yourself.

We will not clear $2M in total bowl and NCAA payouts yearly. (The NCAA tourney payouts will start leaking air beginning now - have you met our conference mates?) Our bowl affiliations are nonsense and our payout from the playoff is $12M for the entire conference as opposed to $90M for the Big Ten. Take your conference cut off the top and we're in six digits there.

Our conference exit fees will be expiring and we'll receive somewhere in the $2.5-$3.5M range yearly.

You're plain weird if you think an expiring deal to pay out the exit fees is some sort of mitigating factor going forward. Under your best case scenario, we're $36.5M behind in 2018 and then, what, a full $45M behind the year after? That's good news? All righty.

Who said it was good news???

You're plain weird if you think we all need a reminder every 6 minutes of how far behind we are in the money race! Everyone on this board, unless they've been under a rock for 2 years, understands that we are in an 8-figure hole when compared to the P5, and it's looking like the new rules will make that worse. Such is life for us right now. At least we will have about 8M for the next four years from the conference, additional external money (IMG, Nike, SNY, etc.), and state funding that will help us hold off the tsunami. But in the long term, we have to get out of the conference. We all know. We all really really know...

Reaction Score
Explain to me how I'm not good at math again. Aren't we due our last exit fee payment in 2017-2018? I thought the payment schedule was for four years, starting this coming year (2014/2015), to the tune of a little over 6 million per year. That would equal about 75 million-ish for the three schools, and then the league was going to pocket the other 30M.

If that isn't the accurate schedule, then it has nothing to do with my math. I'll try to find the schedule online and update my posts accordingly...

EDIT: What little I saw out there is very unclear in terms of total amount, start date, and whether it's a four or five year deal:

http://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/aac-reaches-agreement-divide-big-east-exit-fees

Therefore, let's split the difference and say that it's likely we'll be in the $8M ballpark in 2017/2018, and it STILL sucks not to be in the B1G. And Fishy's as bad at math as I am, and worse as a motivational speaker...

I thought this year (2013-14) was the 1st yr of the 4 year payout for us, Cinci & USF which means there are only 3 more years of exit fee money coming.

Plus, the $44.5MM doesn't include their NCAA credits or bowl & playoff money. I remember reading somewher that ghe P5 conferences expected to receive around $50MM each/yr from just the playoffs. For the 14 team conferences that alone equals $3.5+MM per school

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Geez Pollyanna we get it! It sucks to be in the American. Being in the American threatens UConn's ability to compete at the highest level of collegiate sports. That's not a news flash. We all know that we need a change desperately and that it is not in our ability to compel it to happen. There's no point in wallowing in the misery of the situation. Let people take what little solace they can in what they can let it go.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Look, don't read 'n threads.

Why don't you kids go post in the 37th fictional 16-team superconference thread and let the grownups talk?

Thanks.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The worst part about this thread is that the whole thing was kicked off by my first response, which was actually in agreement with Fishy's assessment. All of the angst came from people who were mad at me for stating that UConn would be making more money than Fishy had originally stated. I apparently should not have been so bold as to announce that we'll be getting more than 2.5M. Way too bold of me....way too bold...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Adding UCONN could boost this amount up even further. I'm amazed at the number of people out there who don't realize that Gold Coast Connecticut is part of the NYC DMA. Adding UCONN boosts NYC ratings and adds Hartford/New Haven's #30 market as a bonus.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Is junior membership at say $15M/ year even something that's worth discussing?

Again, it's not what the Big can do for you, but what can you do for the Big, but we'd be able to pay for ourselves and increase NYC exposure. Hell, offer every Michigan and Ohio state game to be played at giant stadium or Yankee stadium.

There's gotta be something we can do right?

... now back to reality.

Reaction Score
I think people, including me, are getting burnt out regarding UConn's fate in conference realignment. I've seen it in other threads on this board. People are frustrated, patience is wearing thin, and it is showing up in the posts. I know that I keep looking for ANY scrap of information that could be positive for UConn.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Is junior membership at say $15M/ year even something that's worth discussing?

Again, it's not what the Big can do for you, but what can you do for the Big, but we'd be able to pay for ourselves and increase NYC exposure. Hell, offer every Michigan and Ohio state game to be played at giant stadium or Yankee stadium.

There's gotta be something we can do right?

... now back to reality.

Every new member of the B1G gets a partial payment. Even Nebraska is currently in their partial payment phase. After 6 years, members get a full share.

I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever with moving our "home" football games to MetLife for Michigan, OSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc for a few years while we are in our partial membership phase. Whatever it takes. It would give UCONN time to decide if they want to pour money into expanding the Rent or get serious about an on-campus stadium.

As for basketball, UCONN would definitely be quite a negotiating tool to use to try to move the conference tournament on a rotation basis if they wanted.

Reaction Score
this is going to be like European soccer. In the 70's and 80's there was a lot of competitive balance. Clubs from small countries were very competitive in the continental competitions. But then TV Rights took the top leagues like England, Spain and Italy to another level. Now hardly anyone can compete with clubs from those countries.

Reaction Score

I know I'm picking fly out of pepper, but if the AAC stayed intact, members would collect more than $2.5M per year total. The G5 would split approximately $95M annually from the playoffs (hush money). If an AAC team is the G5 representative in its Elite Bowl slot, conference members would split the payout. Other bowl revenue would only generate a modest amount per school. With regard to NCAA tourney payouts, for the near term each school will collect almost $2M annually. But, you're right, it will dwindle on annual basis. However, if UConn, Memphis, Cincy, SMU, Tulsa, and Temple can average 7-8 games tourney games, they could maintain an annual payout of approximately $1M per school. There are other NCAA payouts that the conference would qualify for as well. Lastly, you would think that after 6 years of being on TV it would bump the crappy $2.2M TV contract to a slightly less, yet still crappy TV contract of $4-$6M.

Having said all that, if your point is that we will be screwed, yah, you're right. But, I try not to think more than three years out. It keeps me slightly more sane.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
CBS version of the same article: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-projected-to-get-45-million-with-new-tv-deal

Of note:
"The Big Ten's bargaining position will be enhanced by the addition of a ninth conference game in 2016. That extra game means more inventory to sell to potential rightsholders as well as more content for that wildly successful Big Ten Network.

Commissioner Jim Delany began exploring the idea of a network about a decade ago when he perceived the conference being undervalued by ESPN."

So, adding more conference games enhances the network deal. That would clue me in on the B1G not being done expanding. Haaaaaave you met UCONN?

The last throw-away line could be of interest to ACC fans. ESPN is, more than likely, holding the ACC back too. If the ACC took a page out of Delany's playbook and decided to kick ESPN to the curb and add schools with significant presence in large markets (haaaaaave you met UCONN?), then they could generate more revenue too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom