Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The USA Today article does not use the numbers UConn itself reported to the Department of Education. They used public records requests to 225 individual Universities who can report basically whatever numbers they want to USA Today. According to the Department of Education, UConn athletics made a profit and according to the University Athletic Department Spokesperson, Mike Enright they made a profit. I'm gonna go with them over USA Today on this one.

Can you show me where the DOE shows a profit? Seems weird that the figures reported to USA Today and the DOE coincide EXACTLY and yet the USAToday numbers are made up, according to you.

Reaction Score
Oh, good... I thought he was talking to me.

Nah, it was me. right after I bantered a bit with The ND poster.

Actually, I thought it might be directed at any one of us or all of us. Regardless, I thought it courteous to at least acknowledge he didn't care for me or perhaps all of us being on this board. Having said that, I think a perspective from those affiliated in some manner with the conference a number on this board would like to join is worth giving as long as we are not being a disrespectful a--hole about it. Anyway back to conference realignment ...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Actually, I thought it might be directed at any one of us or all of us. Regardless, I thought it courteous to at least acknowledge he didn't care for me or perhaps all of us being on this board. Having said that, I think a perspective from those affiliated in some manner with the conference a number on this board would like to join is worth giving as long as we are not being a disrespectful a--hole about it. Anyway back to conference realignment ...

Pay him no mind. You guys are great and offer a lot of valuable insight. You're always welcome!

Reaction Score
I think he means Llandy?..B1GALUM has been pretty real here IMO!

If you're referencing me, I'm not sure what you're getting at? I've been respectful to our hosts as well as to any other fan who is not here simply to troll.

Reaction Score
If you're referencing me, I'm not sure what you're getting at? I've been respectful to our hosts as well as to any other fan who is not here simply to troll.

The thread title has been a lightning rod wherever I've seen it posted.

Reaction Score
The crux of this discussion is that a school from the ACC becomes available despite the exit fee and GOR. This seems highly unlikely; however, for the sake of this discussion let's say this is the case as I agree with you that the Big Ten is still looking toward the East for further expansion.

The Big Ten may have interest in UVA and the conventional wisdom is that UVA would be the next target for Big Ten expansion. However, it is my impression that UVA is content in the ACC, values being a conference partner with UNC and has no interest in the Big Ten.

There is another ACC school that is rarely mentioned as a Big Ten expansion candidate but could be a better fit for the conference than most would think: Virginia Tech. Please everyone put away the slings and arrows for a moment. I realize this is a UConn board but you need a partner for the Big Ten so let me explain my rationale.

Virginia Tech is a public land grant university and of their 25 peer institutions 10 are or will be Big Ten universities. Virginia Tech has a larger enrollment than UVA. Virginia Tech has larger total research & development expenditures than UVA as well as Iowa, Rutgers and Nebraska. Virginia Tech is not AAU but has a strategic plan in which the university anticipates " that approximately three to five years would be required to approach the impacts necessary to make us more American Association of Universities (AAU) competitive."

Virginia Tech does not have historic ties to the ACC conference since it joined the ACC in 2004. The conventional wisdom is that Virginia Tech would just be a candidate for SEC expansion. However, Virginia Tech, through prior membership in the Big East, has a history of competing in a northeastern conference and their OOC football schedule features upcoming games against Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State which indicates at least an interest in competition against Big Ten teams.

It is a concern that future Big Ten expansion must include a football addition. Although not on the level of historic success achieved by Penn State and Nebraska, with 6 BCS bowl appearances including 1 BCS national championship appearance Virginia Tech would provide this football addition. The addition of Virginia Tech as a football addition coupled with UConn as a basketball addition is another consideration for the Big Ten if the ACC exit fee and GOR could be overcome as well as any political resistance to a Virginia Tech and UVA separation.

Since I have taken up space on a UConn board touting the idea of Virginia Tech to the Big Ten, please feel free now to fire away at me and my idea with your slings and arrows.

I'm not going to slam anybody for simply putting an idea out there. VPI is definitely an interesting option. As a LG University with an engineering focus, they are definitely a potential fit for The B1G. Their football has been heads and shoulders over UVA for the last 2 decades while UVA's overall AD has been better.

The issue for me is that until UVA explicitly turns down the presidents and academics of The B1G, would they be able to see beyond them to evaluate The Hokies on their own merits? Selfishly as a PSU Fan, VPI is the one most obvious school that we have never matched up with. I think they would make a great rivalry game for us, and could with UMD included provide the carriage in The DMV that I believe UVA could deliver as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The crux of this discussion is that a school from the ACC becomes available despite the exit fee and GOR. This seems highly unlikely; however, for the sake of this discussion let's say this is the case as I agree with you that the Big Ten is still looking toward the East for further expansion.

The Big Ten may have interest in UVA and the conventional wisdom is that UVA would be the next target for Big Ten expansion. However, it is my impression that UVA is content in the ACC, values being a conference partner with UNC and has no interest in the Big Ten.

There is another ACC school that is rarely mentioned as a Big Ten expansion candidate but could be a better fit for the conference than most would think: Virginia Tech. Please everyone put away the slings and arrows for a moment. I realize this is a UConn board but you need a partner for the Big Ten so let me explain my rationale.

Virginia Tech is a public land grant university and of their 25 peer institutions 10 are or will be Big Ten universities. Virginia Tech has a larger enrollment than UVA. Virginia Tech has larger total research & development expenditures than UVA as well as Iowa, Rutgers and Nebraska. Virginia Tech is not AAU but has a strategic plan in which the university anticipates " that approximately three to five years would be required to approach the impacts necessary to make us more American Association of Universities (AAU) competitive."

Virginia Tech does not have historic ties to the ACC conference since it joined the ACC in 2004. The conventional wisdom is that Virginia Tech would just be a candidate for SEC expansion. However, Virginia Tech, through prior membership in the Big East, has a history of competing in a northeastern conference and their OOC football schedule features upcoming games against Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State which indicates at least an interest in competition against Big Ten teams.

It is a concern that future Big Ten expansion must include a football addition. Although not on the level of historic success achieved by Penn State and Nebraska, with 6 BCS bowl appearances including 1 BCS national championship appearance Virginia Tech would provide this football addition. The addition of Virginia Tech as a football addition coupled with UConn as a basketball addition is another consideration for the Big Ten if the ACC exit fee and GOR could be overcome as well as any political resistance to a Virginia Tech and UVA separation.

Since I have taken up space on a UConn board touting the idea of Virginia Tech to the Big Ten, please feel free now to fire away at me and my idea with your slings and arrows.

Interesting idea. I know the current thinking at UVA is not interested in the Big Ten. It can be revisited in 15 years, but not really any time before then. I don't know what Virginia Tech thinks other than to know that they tried over and over again for 50 years to get into the ACC, and were so excited when they finally did that the Governor campaigned on it. I see no dampening of this enthusiasm to this day.

Yes they did play northern schools in the Big East. But if you suggest that the ACC realign the divisions putting Virginia Tech in the north, Virginia Tech has a fit. They want very much to play football games in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. And Virginia Tech is very adament and vocal about it.

So the Big Ten can make a run at Virginia Tech, but I put low odds on it. As I've suggested here before, look to Iowa State. They fit all of the Big Ten metrics, are AAU, and have their hand up to join. Don't get greedy because the Big Ten Network is already in that state.

Reaction Score
Iowa State isn't in contention not because BTN is already in that state...it's because we're talking about freakin Iowa State.

Reaction Score
Interesting idea. I know the current thinking at UVA is not interested in the Big Ten. It can be revisited in 15 years, but not really any time before then. I don't know what Virginia Tech thinks other than to know that they tried over and over again for 50 years to get into the ACC, and were so excited when they finally did that the Governor campaigned on it. I see no dampening of this enthusiasm to this day.

Yes they did play northern schools in the Big East. But if you suggest that the ACC realign the divisions putting Virginia Tech in the north, Virginia Tech has a fit. They want very much to play football games in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. And Virginia Tech is very adament and vocal about it.

So the Big Ten can make a run at Virginia Tech, but I put low odds on it. As I've suggested here before, look to Iowa State. They fit all of the Big Ten metrics, are AAU, and have their hand up to join. Don't get greedy because the Big Ten Network is already in that state.

Thanks for the insight. I admit I have limited knowledge about Virginia Tech but have always wandered why the school was rarely if ever mentioned as a Big Ten candidate as I do think they could be a fit for the conference. Regardless, given their historical desire for ACC membership you mentioned as well as their support for the ACC exit fee and GOR, they appear to be right where they want to be.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the insight. I admit I have limited knowledge about Virginia Tech but have always wandered why the school was rarely if ever mentioned as a Big Ten candidate.

Because they're not AAU.

Reaction Score

Yes we'll look to Iowa Sta..... BWAHAHAHH!

Reaction Score

Regarding Iowa State, I have seen no evidence the Big Ten has any interest. The Big Ten appears to remain focused toward the East. I think UConn is a great fit for this plan but the challenge is finding the elusive partner school. I have attempted to look beyond the usual schools mentioned like UNC and UVA since these two are firmly planted in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Because they're not AAU.

I agree this is a significant impediment; however I think our conference is willing to consider schools without AAU membership. This is our hope for our UConn hosts given the mutual benefit we see with them as a Big Ten member.

Reaction Score

That guy wants to join the Big East ASAP.

Reaction Score
That guy wants to join the Big East ASAP.

imagesESO4ABZX.jpg

Reaction Score
Can you show me where the DOE shows a profit? Seems weird that the figures reported to USA Today and the DOE coincide EXACTLY and yet the USAToday numbers are made up, according to you.

I didn't say made up first of all. Secondly you obviously fail to understand accounting in any form or matter. For instance if you take the same exact numbers given and account, like most schools as tuition is waved, then you don't have a 10 mln dollar expense for the athletics department and a 10 mln dollar revenue for the University as a whole, but if you consider tuition paid for by the athletic department, but "subsidized" by the school you have a totally different balance sheet, with an expense for the athletic department and no revenue to back it up. In both cases the University and the Athletic department have the same exact amount of money if the subsidy is greater than or equal to the cost of scholarships as is the case with UConn. But as I said originally, instead of going with what USA Today says, I'm gonna go with what the Equity in Athletics Data Report by the United States Department of Education says, and what UConn says and you can stick with USA Today.

Reaction Score
The reason it said "more inventory" is because technically, the non-conference games are not part of the league package. Non-conference games are sold separately with right of first refusal (typically) going to the network that owns the league rights.

Usually, those games wind up on the same network(s) but they're not actually included in the league package that is negotiated. So adding a ninth league game for each team does actually increase the package.

Walk me through this. So Iowa plays Northern Iowa, Hawkeyes owns the rights to this game? But ESPN can choose to pick it up or (likely) pass it on to the BTN?

Now replace that game with Iowa vs Maryland. The game proceeds directly to the BTN? Hence it's "additional?"

Reaction Score

And by the way, if you bothered to read the article I posted it gives the exact profit as $94522, which the Universities and DOE's numbers match on.

Reaction Score
I didn't say made up first of all. Secondly you obviously fail to understand accounting in any form or matter. For instance if you take the same exact numbers given and account, like most schools as tuition is waved, then you don't have a 10 mln dollar expense for the athletics department and a 10 mln dollar revenue for the University as a whole, but if you consider tuition paid for by the athletic department, but "subsidized" by the school you have a totally different balance sheet, with an expense for the athletic department and no revenue to back it up. In both cases the University and the Athletic department have the same exact amount of money if the subsidy is greater than or equal to the cost of scholarships as is the case with UConn. But as I said originally, instead of going with what USA Today says, I'm gonna go with what the Equity in Athletics Data Report by the United States Department of Education says, and what UConn says and you can stick with USA Today.

Great way to evade a simple question. And a lot of obfuscation. The final budget #s of Enright's, the DOE, and USA Today are exactly the same. EXACTLY. So we are talking about the same budget revenues despite your attempts to portray these numbers as different.

The total number of scholarships is nowhere near $18 million, not even 20%. And, that is real money that every single unit in the university has to account for. It's not a fungible amount and it's not funny money. Every department funds its assistantships, for instance, through department income (i.e. tuition and the like). This is how universities maintain balance sheets, by making each program and department accountable for revenue. If it was all fungible, because all student tuition goes to the same place, we'd be able to do whatever we want.

Reaction Score
And by the way, if you bothered to read the article I posted it gives the exact profit as $94522, which the Universities and DOE's numbers match on.

And the USA Today's match too!!!!! That's the point. These are all the same numbers. Still doesn't change the fact that there are $18m in student fees and direct institutional support.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Stimpys say the darndest things.

Reaction Score

Your citing a fan website article from 2 years ago as your proof that they would leave? If this were so, they would not have signed the GOR since it would make such a departure far more complicated and far more expensive. Indeed, if what you say - and what this article infers - was true, they would have absolutely no motivation to sign the GOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom