Big East coaches going casual | The Boneyard

Big East coaches going casual

Reaction Score
Surprised GQ Jay supported this. I'm sure Hurley is thrilled. He doesn't seem like the suit and tie kind of guy. ACC voted to do something similar. Huggy Bear set the trend years ago. :)

“I hate to say it, we had an hour conference call about two weeks ago about what we were going to wear and I thought it was comical,” Willard said. “We were on a Zoom call, and I was like there’s 11 grown men plus Val plus Stu and we’re all discussing what we’re going to wear.

“I think Jay kind of said at the end I think we’re going to go casual so once Jay said it, it’s Jay Wright.”

Reaction Score
Looking for a market were I can short ties. Those things are dead.

If this is true someone better tell AD Dave. The Al Golden hire could be a major mistake!

Reaction Score
I wonder if this had anything to do with the universities wanting to sell more gear. That’s why the NFL did it. People want to buy the clothes they see the coaches wearing on the sideline.

Reaction Score
I wonder why anyone cares.
So just to be clear: it’s perfectly rational to obsess about the ability of young men to throw a piece of inflated rubber through an iron hoop - but opining about how their coaches dress is puzzling.

Do I have this right ?

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I wonder why anyone cares.
To me at least, Jay Wright on the sidelines in a bespoke suit is part of the Villanova brand.

If Wright and Bob Huggins were both at the kitchen table dressed like they usually do, and they were recruiting your kid, which coach would command your attention most - the guy who looks like he stepped out of a Savile Row shop or the one on his way to shop at WalMart?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
To me at least, Jay Wright on the sidelines in a bespoke suit is part of the Villanova brand.

If Wright and Bob Huggins were both at the kitchen table dressed like they usually do, and they were recruiting your kid, which coach would command your attention most - the guy who looks like he stepped out of a Savile Row shop or the one on his way to shop at WalMart?
Well to be fair, looking like a guy about to go shop at Walmart is part of the West Virginia brand.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

My guess is that more than half the boneyard does not know what a bespoke suit is.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
So just to be clear: it’s perfectly rational to obsess about the ability of young men to throw a piece of inflated rubber through an iron hoop - but opining about how their coaches dress is puzzling.

Do I have this right ?
Yes. Perfectly rational.

I couldn't care if the coaches showed up in robes and slippers, I'm not there to see them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes. Perfectly rational.

I couldn't care if the coaches showed up in robes and slippers, I'm not there to see them.
A logical followup question would then be, "Why do we care what the players' unis look like if we're there to see their talent?"

Reaction Score

Whichever coach was going to provide the best situation for my kid, I couldn't care less what he's wearing walking into my house.

Reaction Score
I'm looking at this from the practical side. Anyone here who has coached basketball knows that it's an active job and the courts, even in the depths of winter, are pretty darn warm.

Unless it's in the 20s or lower, I wear sneakers, shorts and my school zip-up. I'm excited for the game and the walk from the bus to the gym is nice and brisk without the winter gear.

If I wore a suit, I'd sweat right through it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Whichever coach was going to provide the best situation for my kid, I couldn't care less what he's wearing walking into my house.
Did I really need to spell out, "all things being equal" in that question?
While I agree with you, it’s an elitist attitude.
What's your persona about this Americana rhymer?
Am I shallow 'cause all my clothes designer?
Uh, dressed smart like a London bloke
Before he speak his suit bespoke
And you thought he was cute before
Look at this pea coat, tell me he's broke
And I know you ain't into all that
I heard your lyrics, I feel your spirit

But I still talk that ca-a-ash
- Kanye West

Reaction Score
I'm looking at this from the practical side. Anyone here who has coached basketball knows that it's an active job and the courts, even in the depths of winter, are pretty darn warm.

Unless it's in the 20s or lower, I wear sneakers, shorts and my school zip-up. I'm excited for the game and the walk from the bus to the gym is nice and brisk without the winter gear.

If I wore a suit, I'd sweat right through it.
0*HM6kXPsTRXT3OMkR.jpg

Reaction Score
Why can't everybody do their own thing? Jay be Jay, Huggy be Huggy, and everyone in between. Love the coaches' wardrobes during the preseason tourneys.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom