Big East coaches going casual | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East coaches going casual

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The only time I've been in Alabama was for a meeting with a large group at a client's facility in Montgomery, Alabama. The head of the facility said please don't come dressed like lawyers, everyone who walks in here will know something is up. So lawyers from a number of different firms complied and showed up wearing polo shirts and khakis. The facility manager took one look at us and said "I told y'all not to be dressed like lawyers.
'The facility manager took one look at us and said "I told y'all not to be dressed like lawyers.'

switch out whatever ur wearing on ur feet for a pair of these.
problem solved.
timberland-black-6-inch-premium-black-boots-product-1-24448154-0-447860735-normal.jpeg

dressy, no?
and make sure that u get the ones with the full leather lining, and not that hokey plastic web junk that they try to slide by 'unsophisticated' buyers. original timberlands-accept no substitutes. ur feet will thank you.
make u taller, too.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I guess the coaches do since they spent an hour talking about it. :)
I think one of them actually said he found the conversation mundane, or something along those lines.
To me at least, Jay Wright on the sidelines in a bespoke suit is part of the Villanova brand.

If Wright and Bob Huggins were both at the kitchen table dressed like they usually do, and they were recruiting your kid, which coach would command your attention most - the guy who looks like he stepped out of a Savile Row shop or the one on his way to shop at WalMart?
I'd have my kid play for Jay Wright if he walked in wearing just his underwear. You've earned the right to dress casually when you achieve the success he or Huggins has.
So just to be clear: it’s perfectly rational to obsess about the ability of young men to throw a piece of inflated rubber through an iron hoop - but opining about how their coaches dress is puzzling.

Do I have this right ?
Yeah. This is like the conversations people have surrounding NBA player outfits. Why should I care about what they're wearing? I'm here to be entertained by their rare skills.
A logical followup question would then be, "Why do we care what the players' unis look like if we're there to see their talent?"
I dont think anyone actually cares that much. I think most people just don't want their favorite teams jersey to be distractingly ugly.

Reaction Score
I wonder why anyone cares.
Donny and the other announcer spent a couple minutes talking about it during tonight's game. Of course it was a 45 point lead at that point so what else were they going to talk about? :)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hell, I own a tux.

Anyway, whether one is in the suit camp or the casual Friday camp, all one needs to do is travel to France or Italy and notice how pretty much every American tourist looks like a slob no matter what they're wearing.

Yes, but they wear better looking casual clothes, that's why (and they are less fat). We seem to go straight from suits to hoodies and jeans. Well that and they are willing to suffer horrifically uncomfortable shoes for the sake of fashion. That I cannot do. The leather soled shoe is an abomination, and the pointy toed shoe is even worse. I struggle to even find running shoes I can wear.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The leather soled shoe is an abomination, and the pointy toed shoe is even worse. I struggle to even find running shoes I can wear.
On the leather-soled shoe, we agree. I was Imelda freaking Marcos with a great collection of leather-soled shoes from the legendary (and now defunct) Barrie Booters in New Haven. I still have them all, resoled several times over the decades; and now I cannot imagine how or why I or anyone else ever tolerated that discomfort.

I found Samuel Hubbard shoes several years ago and haven't worn a single pair of leather-soled shoes since. Of course, now I own seven pairs of them... If you haven't checked them out, do; they are the same people who made Rockports, which is all I used to wear when bartending.

If you are looking for running shoes to walk in, try Hokas. My wife is a nurse and I bought her a pair for her birthday this year. She doesn't run, but she is on her feet all day at work and says they have made a huge difference. The running store where I got them said they sell more pairs of Hokas to nurses than they do to runners.

If you're looking for running shoes to run in and you're an over-pronator like me, check out Brooks Adrenaline and Asics GT-2000; those are the two I alternate between. And I add a Currex RunPro insole because the insoles that come with running shoes are crap. It's worth your while to go to a good local running store and have them take a look at your old running shoes to analyze your gait and get you properly fitted. After that you can join Road Runner Sports and keep reordering the same shoes as needed for considerably less than you pay in the stores.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
On the leather-soled shoe, we agree. I was Imelda freaking Marcos with a great collection of leather-soled shoes from the legendary (and now defunct) Barrie Booters in New Haven. I still have them all, resoled several times over the decades; and now I cannot imagine how or why I or anyone else ever tolerated that discomfort.

I found Samuel Hubbard shoes several years ago and haven't worn a single pair of leather-soled shoes since. Of course, now I own seven pairs of them... If you haven't checked them out, do; they are the same people who made Rockports, which is all I used to wear when bartending.

If you are looking for running shoes to walk in, try Hokas. My wife is a nurse and I bought her a pair for her birthday this year. She doesn't run, but she is on her feet all day at work and says they have made a huge difference. The running store where I got them said they sell more pairs of Hokas to nurses than they do to runners.

If you're looking for running shoes to run in and you're an over-pronator like me, check out Brooks Adrenaline and Asics GT-2000; those are the two I alternate between. And I add a Currex RunPro insole because the insoles that come with running shoes are crap. It's worth your while to go to a good local running store and have them take a look at your old running shoes to analyze your gait and get you properly fitted. After that you can join Road Runner Sports and keep reordering the same shoes as needed for considerably less than you pay in the stores.

I've had one pair of Hokas recently. I don't run in them, just fast walk and those break down too fast. I have a wide foot and high arches, and supinate if anything, so my choices are limited. Saucony Ride has been best, Brooks Ghost is ok but I feel like the drop is too high. I go to the outlet mall one exit away (Saucony, Asics, New Balance, Nike....), because I find even the next version of shoes I like don't always fit. I have tried and sent so much back to Zappos (Brooks Cascadia 16 went back today).

As for work shoes, I wore Rockport and Johnson & Murphy rubber soled dress shoes, then got a pair of Cole Haan Zerogrand shoes to look a bit more up to date. The best shoes I found, literally two weeks before we shut the office for Covid, were Pikolinos, from Spain. Given my width issues, Euro size shoes seem to be great for me, with 43 running bigger than a US 10.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've had one pair of Hokas recently. I don't run in them, just fast walk and those break down too fast. I have a wide foot and high arches, and supinate if anything, so my choices are limited. Saucony Ride has been best, Brooks Ghost is ok but I feel like the drop is too high. I go to the outlet mall one exit away (Saucony, Asics, New Balance, Nike....), because I find even the next version of shoes I like don't always fit. I have tried and sent so much back to Zappos (Brooks Cascadia 16 went back today).

As for work shoes, I wore Rockport and Johnson & Murphy rubber soled dress shoes, then got a pair of Cole Haan Zerogrand shoes to look a bit more up to date. The best shoes I found, literally two weeks before we shut the office for Covid, were Pikolinos, from Spain. Given my width issues, Euro size shoes seem to be great for me, with 43 running bigger than a US 10.
Yeah, until I started walking and running regularly I had no idea how quickly running shoes break down. Basically six months if you are not alternating. I alternate between two pairs and add the insole and get around a year out of them.

Those Pikolinos look very similar to the Samuel Hubbards, and around the same price point; and Hubbards added wide sizes across all their styles recently, so you might check them out. They also have a fairly reasonable re-soling program.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah, until I started walking and running regularly I had no idea how quickly running shoes break down. Basically six months if you are not alternating. I alternate between two pairs and add the insole and get around a year out of them.

Those Pikolinos look very similar to the Samuel Hubbards, and around the same price point; and Hubbards added wide sizes across all their styles recently, so you might check them out. They also have a fairly reasonable re-soling program.

They do look nice. Since I'm now work from home, I've only worn those Pikolinos 3 times in almost two years. :eek: Most recently to a wedding last month. May be the last pair I buy for a long time. The running shoes I now wear all day every day, so I'm getting like 4 months out of them.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Donny and the other announcer spent a couple minutes talking about it during tonight's game. Of course it was a 45 point lead at that point so what else were they going to talk about? :)
And before the 45 point lead, I can recall Doron Shefer on his all-time team, Andre Jackson's elite athleticism, Howie Dickenman's impact on his life, exploiting the flattering cut of his playing days jersey, Smitty BOPs, his sense that UConn is being underergarded even with a predicted #2 BE finish, pride in not knowing any Jonas Brothers name, and more that slips my mind in the moment. I experienced him as more of a homer than ever before, not inappropriate for the setting, and I liked it.

I'm not going to bounce around and comment all over, so I'll just add that I could enjoy a season opener with Central and Howie in attendance every year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not hoops, not BE, but in the UNC v Pitt football game tonight, the UNC coach is wearing a camo jacket. Looks like he just strolled in from a hunting trip. You do not honor veterans by coming to the sidelines dressed like it's an episode of Duck Dynasty.

Reaction Score
They should go the baseball route and wear uniforms.

There’s a lot of room to operate within the rubric of “casual.” I’d imagine Jay is still going to look better than most.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
And before the 45 point lead, I can recall Doron Shefer on his all-time team, Andre Jackson's elite athleticism, Howie Dickenman's impact on his life, exploiting the flattering cut of his playing days jersey, Smitty BOPs, his sense that UConn is being underergarded even with a predicted #2 BE finish, pride in not knowing any Jonas Brothers name, and more that slips my mind in the moment. I experienced him as more of a homer than ever before, not inappropriate for the setting, and I liked it.

I'm not going to bounce around and comment all over, so I'll just add that I could enjoy a season opener with Central and Howie in attendance every year.
Weird, Smitty was called Smitty Bop going back to Kolbe days b/c of his swag rather than due to his shoot first mentality.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Camo hunting jackets ain't one of those options. What's next, bib overalls?
pretty sure that's a UNC "salute to service" hoodie. you see camo salute to service gear on NFL sidelines all the time. not sure why it's an issue here.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
pretty sure that's a UNC "salute to service" hoodie. you see camo salute to service gear on NFL sidelines all the time. not sure why it's an issue here.
First off, since this is a thread about how coaches dress, it's butt-freaking-ugly. Huggy in a velour track suit actually manages to look better in comparison.

Secondly, I'm personally sick and tired of military and faux-patriotic BS at all sports events, and have been for years. Exception being service academies. Sports are sports and shouldn't be politicized at an institutional level (which is different than players taking on issues).

I've mentioned this before and it never fails to aggravate the faux patriots here: I have a heartfelt letter and a folded flag sent to my wife and I from a unit in Iraq because we "adopted" them back when we had our coffeehouse and regularly sent not only basic supplies, but also music, movies, coffee, cookies, etc. You want to support troops, do something besides chanting "USA USA". Get off your ass, dig into your wallet, make connections and actually, you know, brighten the day of some troops who want nothing more than to be home and safe.

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
First off, since this is a thread about how coaches dress, it's butt-freaking-ugly. Huggy in a velour track suit actually manages to look better in comparison.

Secondly, I'm personally sick and tired of military and faux-patriotic BS at all sports events, and have been for years. Exception being service academies. Sports are sports and shouldn't be politicized at an institutional level (which is different than players taking on issues).

I've mentioned this before and it never fails to aggravate the faux patriots here: I have a heartfelt letter and a folded flag sent to my wife and I from a unit in Iraq because we "adopted" them back when we had our coffeehouse and regularly sent not only basic supplies, but also music, movies, coffee, cookies, etc. You want to support troops, do something besides chanting "USA USA". Get off your ass, dig into your wallet, make connections and actually, you know, brighten the day of some troops who want nothing more than to be home and safe.
but how do you really feel?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom