Big East coaches going casual | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East coaches going casual

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
My only argument for why I loved the suit & tie is because it was always fun to see Calhoun rip off his tie or jacket when he got heated. I guess we will have to settle for just kicking the scorers table instead.

Reaction Score
Been a LONG off season. Just 3 more days and we are arguing about basketball instead of arguing about who is being the fashion police.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I just don't understand why anyone cares what a grown man wears. You're gonna respect someone less because they're not wearing a suit?
So just to be clear, you're an advocate of black socks with sandals... and let's add camo cargo shorts and a tank top for a full ensemble.

I hope your next flight is a middle seat between these two grown men.
1636211811094.png

Reaction Score
Dressing up is a means of showing those who work for you, those who employ you and everyone else in the room that you take what you are doing very seriously. Is this a big deal? No. Do I expect the world to move to more casual clothing as we move away from time in offices post-Covid? Yes. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

I remember at summer camp a head counselor putting on a dress shirt and tie to coach a big game once. In an environment where people didn’t even have them in their closets. No amount of words could have more clearly stated that HE was taking this game incredibly seriously and asking us if we were as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dressing up is a means of showing those who work for you, those who employ you and everyone else in the room that you take what you are doing very seriously. Is this a big deal? No. Do I expect the world to move to more cauual clothing as we move away from time in offices post-Covid? Yes. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

I remember at summer camp a head counselor putting on a dress shirt and tie to coach a big game once. In an environment where people didn’t even have them in their closets. No amount of words could have more clearly stated that HE was taking this game incredibly seriously and asking us if we were as well.
I’m in the suit camp. Looks more professional and portrays a sense of confidence.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s about time. Now let’s trash that relic for almost every other event as well. Weddings and funerals maybe and that’s it. Why on earth are people still wearing something that is (a) expensive (b) impractical and restrictive (c) uncomfortable and (d) a relic of the European upper classes. it’s a wonder some of you don’t want Hurley coaching in a powdered wig. Suits are an abomination, especially at sporting events. Ties are from the devil. I’m leaving instructions that I will not be buried in a damned suit.

A nice 1/4 zip with a t-shirt underneath, cotton pants and sneakers. Perfect for coaching and just about anything else this time of year.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'it's an easy victory.'
long ago, one day in manhattan, pops sez 'we have some time, let's go visit with abe ribicoff.' a family pal dating back to war days, with great gramps all up in that ribicoff, kennedy, johnson, and bailey, force majeur dominating the national scene, i'd heard all the tales of the battle, with great rallies and such, yet one thing aboot him always fascinated me - he always had a fresh extra shirt, and sometimes an extra fresh suit as well, as i heard it. sooo, chatting aboot stuff in his high rise office, i had to ask him. looking quite natty sitting as his desk, even tho old and frail, i say sumthin like 'u look good, and i hear that u always were dressed to the nines, and always carried back-up. why is that? i even heard that you never wore a sport coat, always a suit?'
'it's an easy victory (or sumthin like that).
anytime you attend a meeting, or even a small gathering, if you appear smartly dressed, the audience will give you opening respect before you even say a word. people come with all kinds of opinions and expectations when they first meet someone, particularly if that person is asking you to vote for them. why not look your best?'
he pulled open a desk drawer, and took out a folded shirt, in the wrapper, fresh from the cleaners, and held it up. lesson learned, forever.
dress for the situation is aboot as good an advice as it gets.
the whole all-black, stretchy pants, and uber slovenly look so common these days, particularly in certain big cities, is nothing more than a whole pantload of folks giving up on their battle of the bulge, and thinking no one notices.
and, oh, a tie is absolutely no hassle when you wear the correctly sized collar for ur shirt. just becuz u wore a 16 1/2 neck in olden days has nothing to do with being an 18 now. i wear overalls and italian silk suits. dress for the occasion. it's an easy victory.

Reaction Score
Dressing up is a means of showing those who work for you, those who employ you and everyone else in the room that you take what you are doing very seriously. Is this a big deal? No. Do I expect the world to move to more cauual clothing as we move away from time in offices post-Covid? Yes. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

ok boomer

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think it’s a perception that isn’t grounded in reality and hasn’t been in decades. You’re not that much older than me. I recall wearing wool suits to walk to the courthouse in the Kansas City summer. Miserable and pointless. Then I moved to Silicon Valley in 96 and that was the end of that. Golf shirts and khakis, sometimes shorts. But those people were taking their work very seriously. Our lead EY auditor told me they were told by every client, no jackets, no ties, it’s not welcome.

Suits are elitist. Most young people starting a career can’t afford to drop $3k on suits, shoes, shirts and ties, plus the ongoing dry cleaning costs. Blue collar people often won’t own one. And women were always left out. Those suits my female law school classmates wore in the 90s were hideous. They could make swimsuit models look bleh.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I think it’s a perception that isn’t grounded in reality and hasn’t been in decades. You’re not that much older than me. I recall wearing wool suits to walk to the courthouse in the Kansas City summer. Miserable and pointless. Then I moved to Silicon Valley in 96 and that was the end of that. Golf shirts and khakis, sometimes shorts. But those people were taking their work very seriously. Our lead EY auditor told me they were told by every client, no jackets, no ties, it’s not welcome.

Suits are elitist. Most young people starting a career can’t afford to drop $3k on suits, shoes, shirts and ties, plus the ongoing dry cleaning costs. Blue collar people often won’t own one. And women were always left out. Those suits my female law school classmates wore in the 90s were hideous. They could make swimsuit models look bleh.
' I recall wearing wool suits to walk to the courthouse in the Kansas City summer. Miserable and pointless. '

wrong wool, and they know this in Kansas.
correct wool,
'Tropical wool is also known as cool wool because it is lightweight and it works great for clothing during hot weather. It is normally made from Merino wool and contains thermal management properties that make it naturally very breathable and cool to the touch. It looks extremely elegant yet is very functional.'

u missed an opportunity to look 'extremely elegant.' u know who really, really, likes guys looking 'extremely elegant?' the ladies. 'an easy victory.'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only suits I see at work are serious try-hards with no power, sales guys, and boomers.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

'can’t afford to drop $3k on suits, shoes, shirts and ties, plus the ongoing dry cleaning costs.'

way, way, off on the reality for that cost. moar like $600 to $700 for the whole package (say around $400 for a good quality, all natural fabric, suit, then around $150 for some all leather kix, $50 for an all cotton shirt, $20-$30 for a tie, if you know how to shop). dry cleaning extra.
here's a nice, all wool, blue suit. 2 fiddy, and they even let you pay in installments. fully lined.
here, have sum j+m's,
'Crafted in fine Italian calfskin leather, these lace ups are fashioned with bond-welt construction and a straight tip. A full-length cushioned footbed enhances the comfort of these impressive oxfords.'
a buck fiddy.

heck, they even have a popup that sez 'spend $150, and u get an extra thirty bucks off!'

Reaction Score

We went business casual in the 90s, pushed by Wall Street. But do I think business casual means a sports coat and wool slacks, but without a tie? Yes. And I will wear a suit to a meeting outsider the firm, whether others will or not.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t recognize that others view it differently, and it’s not a matter of life and death.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm in the suit camp. Most days. Still required for court, even remote proceedings. I like them and don't mind wearing them.

Most days.

I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other about coaches wearing them.

Reaction Score
We went business casual in the 90s, pushed by Wall Street. But do I think business casual means a sports coat and wool slacks, but without a tie? Yes. And I will wear a suit to a meeting outsider the firm, whether others will or not.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t recognize that others view it differently, and it’s not a matter of life and death.

Still waiting for proper dress code for Court appearances to be those established by defense counsel in My Cousin Vinny.

Reaction Score
Still waiting for proper dress code for Court appearances to be those established by defense counsel in My Cousin Vinny.
The only time I've been in Alabama was for a meeting with a large group at a client's facility in Montgomery, Alabama. The head of the facility said please don't come dressed like lawyers, everyone who walks in here will know something is up. So lawyers from a number of different firms complied and showed up wearing polo shirts and khakis. The facility manager took one look at us and said "I told y'all not to be dressed like lawyers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hell, I own a tux.

Anyway, whether one is in the suit camp or the casual Friday camp, all one needs to do is travel to France or Italy and notice how pretty much every American tourist looks like a slob no matter what they're wearing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom