OT: - Big 12 signs new media deal - $2.28 billion over 6 years | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Big 12 signs new media deal - $2.28 billion over 6 years

Reaction Score
Our only move is to see what happens with the ACC. I am of the opinion that their implosion is inevitable. They have a few programs (Miami, FSU and Clemson) that the big 10/sec would let in immediately and then a few programs (UVA/UNC/ Va-Tech) that could fit in one of those conferences. I expect 3-6 of those schools to fill in the SEC and Big 10 to get them to 20, at which point I pray we are one of the 4 best options to fill out the countries best basketball conference. I have said it before and will say it again that my dream would be for the ACC to call up us west virginia and kansas to fill their holes

Reaction Score
Our only move is to see what happens with the ACC. I am of the opinion that their implosion is inevitable. They have a few programs (Miami, FSU and Clemson) that the big 10/sec would let in immediately and then a few programs (UVA/UNC/ Va-Tech) that could fit in one of those conferences. I expect 3-6 of those schools to fill in the SEC and Big 10 to get them to 20, at which point I pray we are one of the 4 best options to fill out the countries best basketball conference. I have said it before and will say it again that my dream would be for the ACC to call up us west virginia and kansas to fill their holes
Miami, FSU, and Clemson might get the axe from Florida and South Carolina. If the SEC requires unanimous support for accepting programs, they won't be getting in. Now of course Texas/OU/Bama/UGA could pressure them into it, but idk.

We might see those Miami/FSU/Clemson headed to the B1G so they can poach some SEC territory, and UVA/Vtech/UNC heading to the SEC which would take some of the DMV away from the B1G.

Reaction Score
Fully agree. But somewhere between the $70 million plus that the big 10 is getting and the $4 1/2 million that the big east is getting there is a right number for the value of big east conference basketball. If Val Ackerman can’t get that above seven figures, it’s tough for me to say she is outstanding or great. Don’t get me wrong, I think she’s very good, certainly worlds better than Aresco, but in the world we live in media rights is probably the defining issue for conferences and the viability of their members.
I'm thinking the Big East new deal will pay around 7 to 9 million. Double or close to double what they currently get best case scenario. Hopefully one day our independent football can get somewhere close to in the range of what BYU got as independent.

Reaction Score
Iirc it was reported that if the ACC expanded it would allow them to renegotiate the ESPN contract. If so, i feel like we would be in a good spot to receive an invite along with perhaps WVU.

Reaction Score
ACC or Bust.

What if the answer is Bust?

We already know there are several schools in the ACC who want UCONN football to die.

If the B12 throws UCONN a lifeline they would be fools to turn it down. Force the ACC to make a decision sooner rather than later. Never forget that so far the ACC's attitude has been the heck with UCONN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BE needs to add gonzaga before the next media deal gets done. dont think it's a long term solution but it would buy us and the football team* a few more years to continue improving, by which time the acc hopefully implodes and backfills with us.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking the Big East new deal will pay around 7 to 9 million. Double or close to double what they currently get best case scenario. Hopefully one day our independent football can get somewhere close to in the range of what BYU got as independent.
No way that will be that high. Basketball numbers are so much different than football it's crazy. Outside of the tourney, economics won't be there. My prediction will be at best a nominal increase maybe 5.5mm. Only time will tell, but this football money is likely to siphon money from other pools. Yomark knows people. It pays to know people in that business. The other thing that is going to likely enhance football over basketball dollars hasn't kicked in and that is the expanded playoff. Likely to only drive football tv dollars and interest up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm thinking we're gonna end up in the ACC. And the only reason UConn has any juice today is because we took that millstone off our neck 3 years ago.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm thinking we're gonna end up in the ACC. And the only reason UConn has any juice today is because we took that millstone off our neck 3 years ago.
And again last year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nope. I’m saying by letting our football program fall off a cliff rather than making success a priority we lost the chance to get into the B12. And our basketball program wont be protected anyway as the NEWBIE gets squeezed out.

Staying in the AAC as long as we did was causing all three major programs to fall off a cliff. Getting out of that southern mid-major league was making success a priority.

I don't think any program is feeling to stable right now in college sports. UConn is in as good a spot as it can be in given the circumstances, and maybe something will break our way in the next 10 years.

Reaction Score
It has been a good deal of luck but I will say the undergraduate enrollment at UC has been increasing every year since I graduated. I don’t know how much that matters but maybe paired with Cincinnati growing as a city in population as well. Fickell staying put did wonders obviously. I always felt we were one consistent coach away from hitting the jackpot like this.

Being a UConn and UC fan felt double painful after realignment so I’m hoping there is some way for Uconn to get in the ACC where they belong
The optics of the Randy hire in the minds of potential destinations along with going to a basketball conference seem to signal we were no longer a player.
Frankly I thought he was the caretaker assisting in the death of. football.
I’m not surprised by the B12 number but it exceeded my expectations 15-25 range .
When you factor in the potential $10,000,000 P5 schools may get football playoffs plus that will also be 8-10 team BB league
That’s a darn good payday
I thought if we focused on football in 2017-18 we would be in the B 12 .
Plus if successful there we would very desirable for multiple homes the next time the cards are shuffled.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
What if the answer is Bust?

We already know there are several schools in the ACC who want UCONN football to die.

If the B12 throws UCONN a lifeline they would be fools to turn it down. Force the ACC to make a decision sooner rather than later. Never forget that so far the ACC's attitude has been the heck with UCONN.
I really don't know who these schools are. BC, Syracuse, Virginia, and the Carolina schools (sans Clemson) play us regularly in home and home series and there is a rumored series with Pitt. Ga Tech has played us before home and home as well. I don't think we are a spec of dust in Clemson, Miami, VaTech, or Florida State's eye. I guess you could be referring to Louisville, but I think they are indifferent towards us.

Reaction Score
Don't think this is the case at all. It's more you are in the football board. Folks here care about our FB program have no intention of ever seeing it shut down to FCS land. I personally love BE basketball, but if a P5 league came calling, even the PAC12, we'd have to say yes.

Reaction Score
Don't think this is the case at all. It's more you are in the football board. Folks here care about our FB program have no intention of ever seeing it shut down to FCS land. I personally love BE basketball, but if a P5 league came calling, even the PAC12, we'd have to say yes.
Or not this is the BB board. I'm the one lost.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The optics of the Randy hire in the minds of potential destinations along with going to a basketball conference seem to signal we were no longer a player.
Frankly I thought he was the caretaker assisting in the death of. football.
I shook my head when people said that. They hired him because they thought he could do the job. Clearly a massive fail predicted by many but it wasn't to be a caretaker.

Reaction Score

Look in the mirror and get lost coming to a UCONN board and telling us we should accept perpetuity in this Catholic basketball league. UCONN is working hard for a better outcome.

Maybe this isn't the thread or even board for you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom