OT: - Big 12 signs new media deal - $2.28 billion over 6 years | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Big 12 signs new media deal - $2.28 billion over 6 years

Reaction Score
Yes, currently 30 million which would take about two years to recover if we received an annual P5 payout. Apparently the Big East conference leaders know our ambitions forcing that buyout on us, get a clue dude.

Reaction Score
I think this is a big year for the big east and uconn football…. The big east needs to win big this year… hopefully get national attention with our play… we have a lot of strong teams this year so it can be done… we probably will start tv negotiations after the season…. And football our tv contract is also expiring soon… could be perfect timing hiring Mora and start winning finally

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Don’t you understand the importance of the TV Money in sustaining a national sports brand? Some were suggesting that we drop football. I enjoy watchng and rooting for UConn sports at a national level. That requires money.

I love when people try to make this argument when the deficit isn't even a real thing. What's gonna happen, hmm? They gonna lock Gampel? Repo guys gonna come grab the basket stanchions?

More money is good. Not having crazy more money isn't an actual problem. You don't get the money, why are you worried about it? Are your ticket prices gonna go down?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I love when people try to make this argument when the deficit isn't even a real thing. What's gonna happen, hmm? They gonna lock Gampel? Repo guys gonna come grab the basket stanchions?

More money is good. Not having crazy more money isn't an actual problem. You don't get the money, why are you worried about it? Are your ticket prices gonna go down?

Odd take.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Odd take.
Not just you but when people take the time to post an short, snotty remark like that, it should be incumbant on them to explain why. Otherwise, it's just a personal attack.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not just you but when people take the time to post an short, snotty remark like that, it should be incumbant on them to explain why. Otherwise, it's just a personal attack.

Do you need me to hold your hand and explain why over the course of a decade our regional rivals bringing in more than a few hundred million dollars more than us in tv revenue is actually important?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Do you need me to hold your hand and explain why over the course of a decade our regional rivals bringing in more than a few hundred million dollars more than us in tv revenue is actually important?

What part of the last decade at Syracuse, Pitt, Miami and BC makes you think they’re any good at doing anything with that advantage?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What part of the last decade at Syracuse, Pitt, Miami and BC makes you think they’re any good at doing anything with that advantage?

Have you not watched the last decade of UConn football?

Or perhaps you missed the Syracuse football game a month ago or their current top 25 ranking?

Pitt just won the ACC football championship last year and has only not played in a bowl game twice since leaving the BE.

Miami, which is news to me to be considered a regional rival, has made a bowl game 9 straight seasons.

I'll add one to the list too - Rutgers basketball is now competitive in the Big Ten and can afford to extend contracts like they did for Pike.

BC, well, they just suck.

Reaction Score
Have you not watched the last decade of UConn football?

Or perhaps you missed the Syracuse football game a month ago or their current top 25 ranking?

Pitt just won the ACC football championship last year and has only not played in a bowl game twice since leaving the BE.

Miami, which is news to me to be considered a regional rival, has made a bowl game 9 straight seasons.

I'll add one to the list too - Rutgers basketball is now competitive in the Big Ten and can afford to extend contracts like they did for Pike.

BC, well, they just suck.
Are you really hyping up the performances from these schools? Cuse basketball sucks now and the football team just got waxed by Notre Dame. Rutgers hasn't won a home Big 10 football game in 5 years. Pitt football had one really good football season and their basketball program is putrid. BC is BC.

Reaction Score
Nah, show your work if you want to play the message board game fairly. Otherwise, it's just trolling.
The rise of perennial hoops doormat Rutgers is kind of a tell. I think he laid out his thesis pretty well off the top of his head. We have been utterly dreadful and when they canned Diaco we had to bring in Edsall on the super cheap to further sink the program. Doesn't take a genius to conclude that more money allows you to cover up mistakes. UConn resorted to trying to not pay Ollie his contractual buyout due to being broke. People saying the money hasn't given those programs an advantage are the ones trolling.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Are you really hyping up the performances from these schools? Cuse basketball sucks now and the football team just got waxed by Notre Dame. Rutgers hasn't won a home Big 10 football game in 5 years. Pitt football had one really good football season and their basketball program is putrid. BC is BC.

I'm not hyping anyone up. I was asked directly about 4 programs and what they've done the last decade.

Syracuse missed the NCAAs last season, but made a Sweet 16 the year prior. Their football program ran us off the field a month ago.

Is your (or anyone's) reasonable expectation that Rutgers football would compete annually with Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State? No. They are playing their best hoop in decades though.

What are you talking about re: Pitt. They've won their division twice, are in the top 25 in more seasons than not and make bowl games.

What exactly is your point here? @zls44 mentioned these programs as if they have either completely fallen off or have become irrelevant, which is really only true of BC (which were they ever really relevant?).

Reaction Score
The rise of perennial hoops doormat Rutgers is kind of a tell. I think he laid out his thesis pretty well off the top of his head. We have been utterly dreadful and when they canned Diaco we had to bring in Edsall on the super cheap to further sink the program. Doesn't take a genius to conclude that more money allows you to cover up mistakes. UConn resorted to trying to not pay Ollie his contractual buyout due to being broke. People saying the money hasn't given those programs an advantage are the ones trolling.
Of course money matters but UConn football sucked because they made horrific hires and they will be back to bowling because they made a great hire. Rutgers hoops sucked because they hired a guy who made their players run suicides naked, they hired a coach who beat up his players, and they didn't vet their hire. They are now decent because they finally hired a pretty good coach.

Reaction Score
I'm not hyping anyone up. I was asked directly about 4 programs and what they've done the last decade.

Syracuse missed the NCAAs last season, but made a Sweet 16 the year prior. Their football program ran us off the field a month ago.

Is your (or anyone's) reasonable expectation that Rutgers football would compete annually with Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State? No. They are playing their best hoop in decades though.

What are you talking about re: Pitt. They've won their division twice, are in the top 25 in more seasons than not and make bowl games.

What exactly is your point here? @zls44 mentioned these programs as if they have either completely fallen off or have become irrelevant, which is really only true of BC (which were they ever really relevant?).
His point is those schools sports programs largely suck, I agree with that.

Reaction Score

You keep bringing up football in a discussion that's not about football. Money obviously helps, but the point is that those schools are not blowing us away in basketball and Olympic sports like everyone keeps saying would happen

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
You keep bringing up football in a discussion that's not about football. Money obviously helps, but the point is that those schools are not blowing us away in basketball and Olympic sports like everyone keeps saying would happen
According to metrics, the Big East has not fallen off at all in basketball since the split.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I was originally replying to @zls44 comment directed at @Stinger92860 where he used "national brand" of athletics; not just basketball.

Basketball is obviously on much more even footing, but the growing disparity in revenue between P5 schools and BE schools will make it harder to sign and retain coaching staffs and/or continually invest in facilities.

We're obviously in a good position now with respect to basketball, but the tv dollar gap between us and Rutgers over the next decade is just going to be preposterous at a level of say ~$600M to ~$80M. Is it sustainable for UConn to extend quality coaching in light of that ever growing disparity.. hopefully.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think the doomsayers are forgetting something important: the sport of football is under assault due to CTE issues. There is no guarantee due to lawsuits that it will be sponsored by colleges in 30-40 years.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think the doomsayers are forgetting something important: the sport of football is under assault due to CTE issues. There is no guarantee due to lawsuits that it will be sponsored by colleges in 30-40 years.

Ironic. The doomsayers are the people noting a half a billion dollar rev difference in a decade.. not the ones surmising the entire existence of football will no longer exist in 30 years.

Reaction Score
We've heard this forever. It is still the most popular sport enjoy watching.

Reaction Score
Watching-yes. Playing-not exacly.
I think football is doing a much better job of reducing head injuries and many players wear guardian caps (padding) in practice. Although football participation is in a slow decline, there are many factors involved. Sure, some parents don't want their kids to play football, but the fall of the 3 sport athlete is having an even bigger impact as many kids focus on one sport. I see top youth baseball, basketball, and hockey players stop playing football to play fall ball or train. Demographics play a role as well as towns with declining student populations will probably have declining sports participation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn had more than enough money to pay Ollie. After the decision they were given, like what? Maybe 72 hours to pony up $11 million. The decision not to pay Kevin Ollie was based on the belief that he reached his contract and this was an entitled to be paid. I don’t think anyone for saw that the arbiter would, essentially, tear up the provision in Kevin‘s contract that said you are fired without compensation if you breach NCAA rules. Once that happened, the odds were against the university prevailing.

Likewise, I think the school thought that Randy Edsall could bring us back to at least being a competent football school. As it turns out, they were wrong. But for that hire, I’m sure his affordability definitely played a role and then deciding to roll the dice with him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom