OT: - Big 12 signs new media deal - $2.28 billion over 6 years | The Boneyard

OT: Big 12 signs new media deal - $2.28 billion over 6 years

Reaction Score
That's a good deal for them. 30 million+ per school for a watered down league.
Even without Texas and Oklahoma, there will always be a huge market for college football for the teams who remain. It’s just different for those extremely dedicated fan bases. Butts in seats and eyes watching TVs is all that matters; the quality of the product is less important.

Granted, I was surprised to see how much more they’re making, given you’re losing payers from the massive Texas and OU fan bases. I feel like they would’ve been happy to just keep the prior payout

Reaction Score

Yeah this is not good for us...The Big East is now 3rd on their priority list.

This is going to end up with the Big East getting a deal with ESPN because FOX can't fit anymore games, and we're going to be immediately shoved behind ESPN+. I love the BE, but we have to be making phone calls about finding a home in either the ACC or Big 12

Reaction Score
Actually just thinking about it, this 100% locks us out of the Big 12 as a standalone addition. They won't dilute their TV $ to add us unless we are packaged with Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Arizona, etc. and even then, the media deal would have to be renegotiated.

How tf did Cincinnati and UCF get so damn lucky with this lifeline. I think we are now officially the biggest loser in realignment lmao

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This should also be the death knell for the Pac-12.

No way they are getting anywhere near $380M/year as a conference. Is this $31.6M/team/year? $380M/12??

Reaction Score
Yeah this is not good for us...The Big East is now 3rd on their priority list.

This is going to end up with the Big East getting a deal with ESPN because FOX can't fit anymore games, and we're going to be immediately shoved behind ESPN+. I love the BE, but we have to be making phone calls about finding a home in either the ACC or Big 12
I don't agree. The new media contract for the Big 10 is basically status quo with FOX. Remember, the vast majority of Big 10 basketball games are on BTN including most of the conference tournament (some goes to Peacock) except the semis and finals which will air on CBS. Peacock and CBS will also cover some regular season Big 10 games. It's unclear how much of the Big 12 will shift to FOX from ESPN, but ESPN retains the Big 12 basketball championship. And, the Pac 12 was doing over 20 games per year on FOX/FS1 and I think that could be done.

So right now, FOX has no conference tournament games in the future unless they resign the Big East or go Pac 12. That's a huge need for FOX. And, most Big 12 games and some Big 10 games will be in the 8:30 PM weekday time slot leaving many early slots tot he Big East. They are not going to start Central Time Zone basketball games at 5:30 PM local time on weekdays.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
As somebody who has followed this for many months, this is an ok deal for the Big 12. I expected 25-30 million and they got 31.7- Big12 take= about 30 million. Big 12 people were talking about getting 60 million instead of 30. They are still 40 million behind the B1G and SEC. The Pac-12 will get about 25-28 million per school. Just watch.

With regards to the extension: where does it say that the Big 12 will get more games on FOX? If anything, they will get more games on ESPN networks as the B1G has left ESPN.

Reaction Score
The Big East has been run by idiots for decades. I never expect them to make a good deal. They do a great job with their primary mission -- protecting Providence basketball.

Reaction Score
Actually just thinking about it, this 100% locks us out of the Big 12 as a standalone addition. They won't dilute their TV $ to add us unless we are packaged with Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Arizona, etc. and even then, the media deal would have to be renegotiated.

How tf did Cincinnati and UCF get so damn lucky with this lifeline. I think we are now officially the biggest loser in realignment lmao
It has been a good deal of luck but I will say the undergraduate enrollment at UC has been increasing every year since I graduated. I don’t know how much that matters but maybe paired with Cincinnati growing as a city in population as well. Fickell staying put did wonders obviously. I always felt we were one consistent coach away from hitting the jackpot like this.

Being a UConn and UC fan felt double painful after realignment so I’m hoping there is some way for Uconn to get in the ACC where they belong

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Apparently, this deal is Tier 1-3 rights. That is worse than expected. So the real deal is about 25 million compared to the B1G’s 71 million.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I’d take 31M for our tier 1-3. Let’s hope the ACC expands and gives us a call. Otherwise call the B12 hotline.
I think the point is that people were bragging that the Big 12 was getting 60 million for Tiers 1-2. Lol.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ackerman is a really good commissioner.

You’re right about the “original” Big East leaders but Val has been incredible for the “new” Big East.
She’s definitely good, but the Big East needs to get a decent media deal before she could be considered more than that, in my opinion. Granted, there’s no football content so that is going to deflate the value considerably but 4.5 million per team isn’t anything to take a victory lap over.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
She’s definitely good, but the Big East needs to get a decent media deal before she could be considered more than that, in my opinion. Granted, there’s no football content so that is going to deflate the value considerably but 4.5 million per team isn’t anything to take a victory lap over.
The BE needs to get a deal before the Pac-12. We need to get 7-8 million. Probably need Gonzaga to get there.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
As long as we keep all of our games on linear TV and 7 games a year on FOX/CBS, I could be down to have games on Turner/USA network in addition to FS1.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The BE needs to get a deal before the Pac-12. We need to get 7-8 million. Probably need Gonzaga to get there.
I actually agree with you that that is what we’re probably looking at, in though I will be grateful for it, it doesn’t allowed the Big East schools to be able to compete in the spending war that is now college athletics. I think we’re at that number without Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
Gotta think the next deal includes ESPN/Fox/CBSSN. Going to be hard keeping games away from some streaming platform.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
truly enjoying being a power conference member atm.

As somebody who has followed this for many months, this is an ok deal for the Big 12. I expected 25-30 million and they got 31.7- Big12 take= about 30 million. Big 12 people were talking about getting 60 million instead of 30. They are still 40 million behind the B1G and SEC. The Pac-12 will get about 25-28 million per school. Just watch.

With regards to the extension: where does it say that the Big 12 will get more games on FOX? If anything, they will get more games on ESPN networks as the B1G has left ESPN.
they will have less football games on Fox (replaced by the B1G) but will have more games on ESPN (replacing the B1G slots).

also as a part of this deal, they will have basketball games on Fox for the first time.

very solid deal for the Big 12. essentially locks the PAC out of Fox, and getting basketball games on Fox too now could spell bad news for the provincial mid major basketball league.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
This should also be the death knell for the Pac-12.

No way they are getting anywhere near $380M/year as a conference. Is this $31.6M/team/year? $380M/12??
the PAC could very well get similar money to the Big 12 but with significantly less exposure. eventually PAC fans will grow tired of having their marquee games at 10:30pm est on ESPN or on streaming services like Amazon. i'd also imagine the PAC will have to agree to a much longer deal to get that comparable money.

remaining on ESPN/Fox is probably the most significant part of this deal. also with it being a shorter term deal, they will come up for a new deal a year AFTER the B1G resets the market again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom