OT: - Big 12 signs new media deal - $2.28 billion over 6 years | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Big 12 signs new media deal - $2.28 billion over 6 years

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It’s working damn well. Oregon State is not relevant to the conversation due to the state of the PAC12. Do you think that Rutgers or Vandy would rather go independent? They would not go for 31M, that would be a huge cut. Both of these schools hit the jackpot and they know it.
Those programs are after-thoughts. Also, I would take an SEC or ACC invite in a second as they are peer schools. Big 12, not so much.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You have to look at it through the lens of what other basketball conferences or those without FBS football are getting. BE I would think is ahead by a wide margin.
No doubt, but at the end of the day, that’s not who are competition is. The people who are going to try to hire away our coaches, and build ever escalating facilities are going to be able to do it with 10 times, or perhaps more, the amount of media money.

Reaction Score
No doubt, but at the end of the day, that’s not who are competition is. The people who are going to try to hire away our coaches, and build ever escalating facilities are going to be able to do it with 10 times, or perhaps more, the amount of media money.
Well if you are suggesting that our competition are P5 schools, with bigger media contracts, Ackerman can't be expected to keep up with that.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well if you are suggesting that our competition are P5 schools, with bigger media contracts, Ackerman can't be expected to keep up with that.
Agree, but that is who our competition is, unless we’ve given up trying for national championships.

Reaction Score
Pac-12's turn:

.......The Big 12’s average per-school annual payout: $31.6 million.

“We are very confident to beat that number,” a Pac-12 source told me Sunday.

The Pac-12 is still negotiating. The original projections from industry sources placed the annual payouts in the range of $27 million to $29 million for the 10 remaining members. That would have put the Pac-12 Conference 10-15 percent below the Big 12. But that was before Amazon and Apple waded into the fray.

Amazon and Apple want to be in the college live-sports programming space but neither has the infrastructure to produce games. Amazon uses the NFL Network for the Thursday Night Football production. The Pac-12 Networks already handles production of 36 football games.

Maybe we should wait to see what happens, but it feels like the Pac-12 could land somewhere in the neighborhood of $32-34 million per school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree, but that is who our competition is, unless we’ve given up trying for national championships.
That is up to the school to figure out, not Ackerman. We know the answer. UConn is unlike any other Big East school. We hope to one day be in the power 5.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don’t care how much money UConn makes on TV. But if we’re stuck behind an internet paywall, that’ll be a death blow. Most casual fans are not paying money to watch games on their computer, and bars will always tune into major channels.

CL82

Reaction Score
That is up to the school to figure out, not Ackerman. We know the answer. UConn is unlike any other Big East school. We hope to one day be in the power 5.
The conference media deal is negotiated by the conference commissioner. It probably is their most important function.

It is pretty unlikely that any other member of the Big East would become a member of the P5 since that is a term describing the top five football conferences in Connecticut is the only school that plays FBS football in the conference. So , until another school either jumps up to FPS or actually starts playing football, it’s probably pretty unlikely that they are harboring dreams of joining one of the main football playing conferences.

Reaction Score
The conference media deal is negotiated by the conference commissioner. It probably is their most important function.

It is pretty unlikely that any other member of the Big East would become a member of the P5 since that is a term describing the top five football conferences in Connecticut is the only school that plays FBS football in the conference. So , until another school either jumps up to FPS or actually starts playing football, it’s probably pretty unlikely that they are harboring dreams of joining one of the main football playing conferences.
I agree and that means they are no longer harboring dreams of winning championships. We don’t want to be one of them.

Reaction Score
You want us in a league with North Texas and UTSA. We heard you the first 1000 times.
Nope. I’m saying by letting our football program fall off a cliff rather than making success a priority we lost the chance to get into the B12. And our basketball program wont be protected anyway as the NEWBIE gets squeezed out.

Reaction Score

The answer is the school has to position themselves to get invited to a P5, not to expect Ackerman to deliver a TV contract on that level. The TV contract she did deliver dwarfs over that of similar conferences both in terms of money and exposure on linear TV and the quality of the production of the games.

Reaction Score
ESPN and FOX wanted the Big 12 enough to invest $2 billion in the product

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Nope. I’m saying by letting our football program fall off a cliff rather than making success a priority we lost the chance to get into the B12. And our basketball program wont be protected anyway as the NEWBIE gets squeezed out.
The Big East isn’t getting squeezed out. People said the same thing 10 years ago. How did that work out?

Reaction Score
It’s working damn well. Oregon State is not relevant to the conversation due to the state of the PAC12. Do you think that Rutgers or Vandy would rather go independent? They would not go for 31M, that would be a huge cut. Both of these schools hit the jackpot and they know it.
Rutgers is having their own $$$ issues

Reaction Score
I hope this is the final straw for Clemson, FSU, and Miami. They're now making the same as a bunch of schools that the B1G and SEC think aren't worthy of the $80M/yr payday. That's gotta sting...and they're "locked" into it until 2036. The Big 12, B1G, and SEC will all renegotiate a second deal in 2032ish before the ACC even has a chance to meet with the networks. There is going to be some more major movement here within the next few years. If Mora can get us to be a consistent 7-8 win team per year in a few years, we'll likely get the nod for the next round of expansion.

Reaction Score
Paying billions for 'future' content makes me wonder how profitable Fox and ESPN really is. I know college football is huge but this is a staggering investment.

Me thinks the legal fees are even more staggering.

Reaction Score
Many need to slow down here. Holy cow!

-The Big Ten is now 39 games on FOX/FS1. New TV deal only goes up to 45 games Big Ten on FOX/FS1.

-The Pac-12 has only 22 basketball games on FS1. Many think that deal will be done in 2024.

-The MWC is 32 games on FS1. Deal goes to 2026.

We don't have a number for Big 12 games on FOX/FS1. My guess is around 30 games.

The Big East gives FOX/FS1 about 160 games. CBS/CBSSN gets 20 games from FOX Sports to boardcast Big East games. FOX/FS1 can't lose the Big East Conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
The answer is the school has to position themselves to get invited to a P5, not to expect Ackerman to deliver a TV contract on that level. The TV contract she did deliver dwarfs over that of similar conferences both in terms of money and exposure on linear TV and the quality of the production of the games.
Fully agree. But somewhere between the $70 million plus that the big 10 is getting and the $4 1/2 million that the big east is getting there is a right number for the value of big east conference basketball. If Val Ackerman can’t get that above seven figures, it’s tough for me to say she is outstanding or great. Don’t get me wrong, I think she’s very good, certainly worlds better than Aresco, but in the world we live in media rights is probably the defining issue for conferences and the viability of their members.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The path forward is the ACC. Ever since UConn blew any shot it had at the Big 12 (not a great fit to begin with) by being historically bad at football and not very good at basketball at the critical juncture, we've had one way out. Mora is doing what is needed. Hurley is trying to. Baseball is doing its job. Geno is winning despite injuries.

CL82

Reaction Score
The path forward is the ACC. Ever since UConn blew any shot it had at the Big 12 (not a great fit to begin with) by being historically bad at football and not very good at basketball at the critical juncture, we've had one way out. Mora is doing what is needed. Hurley is trying to. Baseball is doing its job. Geno is winning despite injuries.
Agree except I’m not sure how we blew our chance with the big 12. Once BYU became toxic because of intolerance, the expansion plan collapsed. The fact that Connecticut was considered one of the finalists for a conference that is absolutely a horrible geographic fit for us speaks to our brand value.

In any event, the ACC is the way forward. We have a history with many of the teams in that league and some of them aren’t geographically miserable for us to get to. In all likelihood, we only join it after some of its top members leave to go to another conference. We won’t be making big 10 or SEC money, but at least we’ll be making enough to be relevant.

The university really should be making an all out press to become AAU so that we meet one of the “supposed“ criteria of the big 10. It is, of course, highly unlikely we would ever get an invite, but that would help at least nominally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom