Big 12 or B1G | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big 12 or B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The only pressure I see is the B12 looking at the PAC and BiG incest fest and realize they don't have a dance partner. A 14-team SEC and a 14-team ACC look like a more natural dance card.

A B12 network is hampered by a lack of content with only 10 teams. As the SEC found out if you sell too many games to network and regional TV it makes an SEC network difficult. Offering the 4 worst and most unwatchable SEC matchups every week (The Vandy and Kentucky drubbings by the Mississippi teams and Southern Hairdressing schools) isn't a great marketing ploy.

Sure Texas will be OK. Even they can see some fall out here if the SEC and ACC seriously pursue alignment.

As soon as WVU settles I expect another move. At this juncture any conference thinking of expanding has a limited list of candidates. Who blinks first?

Reaction Score
The only pressure I see is the B12 looking at the PAC and BiG incest fest and realize they don't have a dance partner. A 14-team SEC and a 14-team ACC look like a more natural dance card.

A B12 network is hampered by a lack of content with only 10 teams. As the SEC found out if you sell too many games to network and regional TV it makes an SEC network difficult. Offering the 4 worst and most unwatchable SEC matchups every week (The Vandy and Kentucky drubbings by the Mississippi teams and Southern Hairdressing schools) isn't a great marketing ploy.

Sure Texas will be OK. Even they can see some fall out here if the SEC and ACC seriously pursue alignment.

As soon as WVU settles I expect another move. At this juncture any conference thinking of expanding has a limited list of candidates. Who blinks first?

I think that now would be the perfect time for the SEC and possibly Big 12 to raid the ACC before they renegotiate that TV contract and while the pundits are espousing how bad they are.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I think that now would be the perfect time for the SEC and possibly Big 12 to raid the ACC before they renegotiate that TV contract and while the pundits are espousing how bad they are.

I just can't see any ACC teams leaving for the B12. The SEC, sure, but not the B12. It just isn't stable enough to poach from any other BCS league except ours. I really think we've got a better shot at the B12 than the B12 has got luring anyone from the ACC. Now, if the B1G were to call, say, Maryland, they'd probably be willing to listen.

But, to your major point, someone should poach the ACC. I'm getting bored without the presence of conference realignment news every day.

Reaction Score
I just can't see any ACC teams leaving for the B12. The SEC, sure, but not the B12. It just isn't stable enough to poach from any other BCS league except ours. I really think we've got a better shot at the B12 than the B12 has got luring anyone from the ACC. Now, if the B1G were to call, say, Maryland, they'd probably be willing to listen.

But, to your major point, someone should poach the ACC. I'm getting bored without the presence of conference realignment news every day.

I know it's not likely to happen but while the B12 may be a bit unstable it's still a better conference and makes more money than the ACC. The football is going to be second only to the SEC once WVU and TCU come on board. I just can't help but hate the ACC and would love to see them decimated the way we have been. I think the SEC will definitely take 2 from them in the near future. More ACC defections is wishful thinking but I think it makes sense for a school like FSU, VT, Clemson, ect. The Big 12 doesn't have any Wakes, Dukes, or BC level schools in football that really drag things down.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I know it's not likely to happen but while the B12 may be a bit unstable it's still a better conference and makes more money than the ACC. The football is going to be second only to the SEC once WVU and TCU come on board. I just can't help but hate the ACC and would love to see them decimated the way we have been. I think the SEC will definitely take 2 from them in the near future. More ACC defections is wishful thinking but I think it makes sense for a school like FSU, VT, Clemson, ect. The Big 12 doesn't have any Wakes, Dukes, or BC level schools in football that really drag things down.

Baylor? And I don't care that they had the Heisman winner this year; they are historically Wake Forest.

As for killing the ACC, until we are told "no" without a shadow of a doubt, I don't want to see it killed. We need a soft landing spot. If they ever told us no definitively, then I pray for its slow, painful bleeding to death.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I just can't see any ACC teams leaving for the B12. The SEC, sure, but not the B12. It just isn't stable enough to poach from any other BCS league except ours. .

The Florida State President made a persuasive case for staying in the ACC.

Burning Bridges and going to the B12 is shortsighted. That's a No.

Going to the SEC? Stable but a lousy environment for football if winning and national visibility is a goal. The arms race in the B12 and SEC is out of control. Other sports aren't as good. Any additional money will have to be spent on athletics and facilities.

Research Dollars? Losing one good-sized research grant dwarfs any additional money the SEC can provide in athletics.
The SEC won't improve their relationship with Florida the SEC's other top research U, Vandy, isn't the North Carolina Research Triangle or Georgia Techs's Research Park. There isn't a compelling reason to leave when football is the only consideration and other sports coaches and academic departments and research interests all say no.

Reaction Score
Baylor? And I don't care that they had the Heisman winner this year; they are historically Wake Forest.

As for killing the ACC, until we are told "no" without a shadow of a doubt, I don't want to see it killed. We need a soft landing spot. If they ever told us no definitively, then I pray for its slow, painful bleeding to death.

I agree to an extent, but until I see any sort of resurgence Baylor is heads and shoulders above BC and Duke as well, with basketball being the exception with Duke.

Reaction Score
ACC over B12 any day, the minute OU and/or Texas decides they want to look elsewhere when that six year agreement ends, the conference is toast.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I agree to an extent, but until I see any sort of resurgence Baylor is heads and shoulders above BC and Duke as well, with basketball being the exception with Duke.

F BCU, they're horrible at everything (except academix!!!!1). The B12 is certainly more deep overall in football than the ACC. I'd never argue that one. But the B12 does have its lackluster programs. Kansas is another. I guess an argument can be made though that the level of competition in the B12 makes these teams look worse than a team with, say, the same record in the ACC.

Reaction Score
F the ACC. They are hopeless athletically. The B1G, SEC and the Big 12 can tear them up.

Reaction Score
ACC over B12 any day, the minute OU and/or Texas decides they want to look elsewhere when that six year agreement ends, the conference is toast.
If they can add ND and other pre-eminent eastern markets, that might have more an allure than the Pac-12.

Reaction Score
And becoming a Penn State is good? With all that has happened recently, that's a school I won't choose to emulate.

Assuming you can avoid having your coach rape a child, it wouldn't be a bad school to emulate, in terms of record, fan support, graduation rate, academics, one of two schools to never go on probation.

Reaction Score
Assuming you can avoid having your coach rape a child, it wouldn't be a bad school to emulate, in terms of record, fan support, graduation rate, academics, one of two schools to never go on probation.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?

Reaction Score
PSU died?

The reputation that you hold so dear did, in fact, die. You talk about it as if it's a small thing that doesn't tar everything else. It does.

There was only one criminal here, and it was not the University's fault that it happened to hire a pedophile. However, the fact that, over a decade, not one person affiliated with the football program or the university did what needed to be done to make it stop has killed PSU's reputation. And, given that the decision was tied in to protecting a football program, rightly so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is almost nothing better than Francesa talking to Kim Jones about Penn State. He is right, Penn State is so completely lost right now it would be funny if it wasn't for such a horrible reason. People will write books for decades about the lack of leadership on that campus.

Reaction Score
F BCU, they're horrible at everything (except academix!!!!1). The B12 is certainly more deep overall in football than the ACC. I'd never argue that one. But the B12 does have its lackluster programs. Kansas is another. I guess an argument can be made though that the level of competition in the B12 makes these teams look worse than a team with, say, the same record in the ACC.

Wherever UConn is going for football, they're going to start at the bottom of the league. I understand money is a huge driving factor and football is the big $$$$$ but the fact is, ACC, B1G, B12 - it's going to be close to the same amount of money.

In efforts to keep UConn from ever being irrelevant in sports, I want them to end up in a fantastic basketball conference. So I think the ACC should be our top choice. B1G would be nice, but it probably isn't happening. And I really think the B12 has nothing to offer.

Reaction Score
The reputation that you hold so dear did, in fact, die. You talk about it as if it's a small thing that doesn't tar everything else. It does.

There was only one criminal here, and it was not the University's fault that it happened to hire a pedophile. However, the fact that, over a decade, not one person affiliated with the football program or the university did what needed to be done to make it stop has killed PSU's reputation. And, given that the decision was tied in to protecting a football program, rightly so.

Given the trouble PSU is having raising funds, if it doesn't drastically turn around, then they will become irrelevant for quite a while, regardless of what happens in the upcoming months/years.

Reaction Score

The reputation died, the standards didn't. So now you're saying they should go rogue?

Reaction Score
Really? You won't be saying that if Cincinnati gets in.

Lol, you think I really care about them? I casually watch Cincinnati and I'll root for them wherever they go. But let's be honest, UConn >>>>>>>>>>>>> Cincinnati. If Cincinnati ends up in the B12, that's good for them. Better fit location too - and if L'Ville in addition to WVU, then they'll be in the right spot.

UConn belongs in an East Coast conference. They belong in a basketball conference. And it doesn't matter which super conference they join, all of the $$$ from TV contracts will basically be the same down the road. That's why I think the B12 has nothing to offer UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm flummoxed by your response.

This is about a guy who is very loyal to his old coach. Short to Bradley. And though he's loyal, he also said some stupid things. As many other ex-players pointed out. But the least offensive part of his post is his discussion of PSU standards and what the school stood for. Why? Because the vast vast majority of schools in this country do not have those standards. The fact that PSU royally screwed up, and I agree with the firings (though after reading the new pretrial testimony I know things are not as you present them to be) Short only meant that PSU has higher standards when it comes to football. When it comes to pedophiles, no. But this is what he was referring to, and he's right. Any outsider that comes in there will be battling scrutinized on academics, African-American grad rate, the lack of NCAA sanctions, etc. It's quite different than say Ohio Sate. Urban Meyer comes right in and no one will care there whether the culture has changed (a culture that was like that long, long, long before Jim Tressel).

We are discussing totally different things. Have a nice day

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm flummoxed by your response.

This is about a guy who is very loyal to his old coach. Short to Bradley. And though he's loyal, he also said some stupid things. As many other ex-players pointed out. But the least offensive part of his post is his discussion of PSU standards and what the school stood for. Why? Because the vast vast majority of schools in this country do not have those standards. The fact that PSU royally screwed up, and I agree with the firings (though after reading the new pretrial testimony I know things are not as you present them to be) Short only meant that PSU has higher standards when it comes to football. When it comes to pedophiles, no. But this is what he was referring to, and he's right. Any outsider that comes in there will be battling scrutinized on academics, African-American grad rate, the lack of NCAA sanctions, etc. It's quite different than say Ohio Sate. Urban Meyer comes right in and no one will care there whether the culture has changed (a culture that was like that long, long, long before Jim Tressel).

Do you not get that there were no PSU standards and it turned out they didn't stand for anything? It was all horse#*&t? That the 'standards' PSU set were actually MUCH LOWER than the standards that Ohio State set?

Reaction Score
Penn State. The school had no institutional control over the football program. Paterno had his fiefdom, he did some good and some bad. But The climate he created is what allowed Sandusky to continue on like he did. Sandusky type tragedies NEED a climate like that to occur.

Their priorities were totally out of whack. Sandusky showed that to us.

Oh and Big 10 hands down. The Big 12 is like the middle east of college football.

Reaction Score
Do you not get that there were no PSU standards and it turned out they didn't stand for anything? It was all horse#*&t? That the 'standards' PSU set were actually MUCH LOWER than the standards that Ohio State set?

OK then, start the $$$, forget about classes, recruit partials, cheat on APR (like everyone else), etc. Those standards were phony. Didn't exist. It'll be a lot easier to win games now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom