Benedict to be on WTIC Today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Benedict to be on WTIC Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Or... You worked at VCU and helped oversee its transition from the CAA to the A10 so you have first hand knowledge of what it's like preparing to change conferences. Do you have any advice for Cincinnati since it looks like they're the best choice for the Big XII?
Ouch! Yet it is believable.

Reaction Score
He's a good interview. No wonder the brain trust was impressed.

And why is Gresh yelling? He got very fired up about fast food.

Yeah now he has a man crush on our AD based on Steak & Shake

Steak-n-Shake-All-Nighter-Breakfast.gif

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Right. But you ask Benedict, too. As the interviewer, you don't worry about the answer. He will disclose what he can/wants to.
Gresh needed to lead him better toward the subject his audience is looking for. You are right. Benedict will decide what he can divulge, Instead, Gresh made it easy for Benedict to deflect. He asked about GoRs (Which the AAC does not have) and about other conferences to which UConn does not belong. The exact opposite direction, with literally no bearing on UConn.

Dare I say that David Benedict already has a better understanding of WTIC's UConn audience than a poorly prepared show host on the schools flagship radio partner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On second thought I have a link to the broadcast if anyone wants.

Reaction Score
Gresh is hanging on to Benedict's statement that we need to dominate the league that we are in like a dog on a bone.

Reaction Score
Here's a little tid bit about Gresh...in 1996 URI forfeited their game against UConn because 31 players were suspended after they trashed a Frat house. Fresh was a 2 year starter at URI and graduated in 1997. No wonder why he "loves" UConn so much.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My final thought before I get in my car (and turn on WEEI and not think another second about Andy Gresh): He keeps on referencing Benedict's statement of [paraphrase] "Dominate the conference we are in."

Gresh interprets this as Benedict think UConn is staying in the AAC for the foreseeable future. He also says that UConn is where it is because it is not yet P-5 ready, without regard to outside influences (you all know what they are. I won't list them.).

Finally, what is Gresh talking about UConn's facilities for as if they are DIII level? Gampel is being addressed this summer and the football and basketball practice facilities are state of the art.

On the flip side of the above coin is that Benedict thinks UConn needs to dominate their conference, regardless if they are in the AAC, the ACC, Big Ten, or Big XII. I don't think he is allowed to say any different, lest risk openly pining for another conference, which I don't believe is allowed.

UConn is absolutely a P-5 quality program. They are left out for a variety of combinations of reasons. All of them include the Hathaway/Pasqualoni/APR rate + BC (ACC), Location (Big XII), and endowment/AAU status (Big Ten...My preference). Make no mistake that UConn is ready for the call, and I don't think for a second that UConn did not show the writing on the wall to the de facto day-to-day head of athletics (if not in name) at Auburn University.

Reaction Score
Gresh is hanging on to Benedict's statement that we need to dominate the league that we are in like a dog on a bone.
That moron has CTE from too many shots to the head during his URI career...he also needs to realize that his has been football career is LONG since been over and he needs to throw away the needles and get off the juice.

Reaction Score
My final thought before I get in my car (and turn on WEEI and not think another second about Andy Gresh): He keeps on referencing Benedict's statement of [paraphrase] "Dominate the conference we are in."

Gresh interprets this as Benedict think UConn is staying in the AAC for the foreseeable future. He also says that UConn is where it is because it is not yet P-5 ready, without regard to outside influences (you all know what they are. I won't list them.).

Finally, what is Gresh talking about UConn's facilities for as if they are DIII level? Gampel is being addressed this summer and the football and basketball practice facilities are state of the art.

On the flip side of the above coin is that Benedict thinks UConn needs to dominate their conference, regardless if they are in the AAC, the ACC, Big Ten, or Big XII. I don't think he is allowed to say any different, lest risk openly pining for another conference, which I don't believe is allowed.

UConn is absolutely a P-5 quality program. They are left out for a variety of combinations of reason. All of them include the Hathaway/Pasqualoni/APR rate + BC (ACC), Location (Big XII), and endowment/AAU status (Big Ten...My preference). Make no mistake that UConn is ready for the call, and I don't think for a second that UConn did not show the writing on the wall to the de facto day-to-day head of athletics (if not in name) at Auburn University.
Gresh's memory of UConn's facilities are of playing at Memorial Stadium his Soph year getting his teeth kicked in. Someone should clue him in that his boy Bill told a reporter at a UConn pro day that UConn's facilities were better than what the Pats had a few years ago

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Right. Because everyone taken before us dominated their league. What a bum.

Also, he keeps saying Houston getting to a new years six Bowl is huge... Meant squat when we did it though, I guess.

Reaction Score

UConn is absolutely a P-5 quality program. They are left out for a variety of combinations of reasons. All of them include the Hathaway/Pasqualoni/APR rate + BC (ACC), Location (Big XII), and endowment/AAU status (Big Ten...My preference). Make no mistake that UConn is ready for the call, and I don't think for a second that UConn did not show the writing on the wall to the de facto day-to-day head of athletics (if not in name) at Auburn University.

As Fishy has said in the past, we didn't earn our demotion to the G5, so it is unfair to say now that we need to earn our way out of it.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Side story, UConn's official Twitter tweeted out Benedict's presser quote when he said "this is a P5 all day every day." And the UConn athletics official Twitter account retweeted that. I responded and said "I love that this quote was tweeted by the official UConn Twitter account and retweeted by the official UConn athletics Twitter account." Now, UConn's official Twitter just liked my tweet.

That is a huge statement to me. UConn has never really acknowledged, in an official capacity, that they are P5. They've usually relied on others to say it for them.

I may be reading too much into it. But I think that these tweets and them liking my tweet is pretty significant.

Reaction Score
Right. Because everyone taken before us dominated their league. What a bum.

Also, he keeps saying Houston getting to a new years six Bowl is huge... Meant squat when we did it though, I guess.
He's a tool....I urge anyone with a twitter account to go and challenge him on the stuff he is saying on the air...he will go off on his rants/tirades..you will get called a knob..BUT he will look like a fool

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Gresh is a moron. There are 50 fans on this board more capable of hosting a UConn centric radio show and intelligently discussing CRA. He needs to be sacked in the near future. The flagship station for UConn shouldn't have mouthpieces w/o a clue - it's bush league.

Also, UConn really needs some two bit station in FF County to pick up the radio broadcast. Its pathetic that the lower part of this county can't listen to jack squat for live sports radio.

Reaction Score
Side story, UConn's official Twitter tweeted out Benedict's presser quote when he said "this is a P5 all day every day." And the UConn athletics official Twitter account retweeted that. I responded and said "I love that this quote was tweeted by the official UConn Twitter account and retweeted by the official UConn athletics Twitter account." Now, UConn's official Twitter just liked my tweet.

That is a huge statement to me. UConn has never really acknowledged, in an official capacity, that they are P5. They've usually relied on others to say it for them.

I may be reading too much into it. But I think that these tweets and them liking my tweet is pretty significant.

Yes, in the past everyone including President Herbst always just said that we are a proud member of the AAC blah, blah, blah. Now they are coming out and saying that we are a P5 school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She's tasty
I just went through a list of a half dozen donut puns that were all not suitable for this incarnation of the Boneyard. I miss the old days.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Yes, in the past everyone including President Herbst always just said that we are a proud member of the AAC blah, blah, blah. Now they are coming out and saying that we are a P5 school.

I pray it is telling that they know something we don't yet, and not that it's not just a new marketing strategy based on desperation because we're not in.

Reaction Score
Gresh is a moron. There are 50 fans on this board more capable of hosting a UConn centric radio show and intelligently discussing CRA. He needs to be sacked in the near future. The flagship station for UConn shouldn't have mouthpieces w/o a clue - it's bush league.

Also, UConn really needs some two bit station in FF County to pick up the radio broadcast. Its pathetic that the lower part of this county can't listen to jack squat for live sports radio.
That's something that I'm gonna put down on any questionnaire they send out

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
@Exit 4 I've made that point to them endless times - if you want a laugh, pm me, and I'll forward you my last mail to enright on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom